what helps us sleep at night
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
you will always be a monster
there is no turning back from it
Like a doll wrapped in some macabre mockery of play garments, she waits preternaturally still upon the lowest branch of the tree that straddles the pathway into Ludo’s Woods. It has grown more pronounced of late with the presence of outsiders whose feet crush and trod upon that which the Fae do not. Letter sent and all other tasks completed, there is little more she can do but wait.

Consider herself, perhaps, and what has brought her here. Introspection however is dull to the scientist. Nephele knows precisely what has led to her tying her shadow to Ludo’s, darkening her blade with Ascended fluid that could never conceive of being blood. Instead, she tests different words on her tongue; she had promised Ludo to try and be pleasant with Remi after all, which is asking quite a lot from a Fae in the first place, and even more from one who is caustic and blunt even beyond her race’s norms.

Sparing a prayer for her patron, she lets her leg swing over the edge of the branch, swaying slightly with the rock of her heel back and forth. Awaiting Ludo’s chosen in its own territory.
but what type of monster you become
is entirely up to you
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 100 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
REMI
the lullaby
The Greatwood is not his home no matter how long it has sheltered him. It is a wild untamed thing, and with predatory respect born of all the monsters within, he knows not to mistake familiarity with intimacy. So it is that he has learned to pick his paths carefully, to give back more than he ever takes, and to care for the Woods that she might allow him to continue his work beneath her hallowed branches.

However small it is amidst the canopy above, the bob of her heel does not escape Remi's senses. He assumes this is done for his benefit that he might not bumble by and waste her time. "We have met before if you remember." He says conversationally, leaning against the trunk of the tree upon which she perches, and folding his arms comfortably across his chest. "I was Governor of Torchline then, and you spoke on behalf of the fae."
Like you'd get your knuckles bloody for me

Code taken from Sky who is utter perfection
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
His path is tracked like that of an errant chicken lost in the jungle. Out of place, easy prey, but hiding beneath is a creature far worse. His title is more familiar to her than his name - one she had admittedly easily forgotten, as she does most of the earthbound humans. As he rests against the trunk of the tree she has chosen as her perch, Nephele tilts her head to observe him like an inquisitive bird, leg still swaying unimpeded by his presence.

“I see. I did not mean to offend you - you humans are quite forgettable.” There is no point in tempering her words to bypass the honesty when the sentiment is not a regrettable one. “I am no official leader of the Sidhe, but their safety is my concern.” Juniper is the closest they have to a leader these days, though Nephele is the looming figure in the shadow of her throne. “I have heard them speak of you. You tread softly, for a human. It does not go unnoticed.” The idiom is a compliment of great magnitude - Remi’s efforts on behalf of the Greatwood, if not the Fae themselves, has earned a grudging respect from the wary people. Adjusting on her branch, she props her elbow on her thigh and blinks down at him, the shock of her wildfire locks a sharp contrast to Ludo’s dark rags. “Why do you seek to protect the Greatwood?” A hatred for the Ascended? An attempt to earn the strength of the Fae at his back? His motivations are unknown to her, and like an unexpected chemical reaction she is both frustrated and intrigued by that.
is entirely up to you
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
the lullaby
"No offence taken." He replies easily enough, wondering if there was any point in mentioning that he was quite far from being human nowadays, but deciding against it. "I do what I can." Remi acknowledges. He wanders on four paws which the Woods seem to abide far more than two feet. But mouths and hands are useful tools, and remaining shifted too long tends to do strange things to his mind.

Looking up at her, his scars mostly hidden by his clothing and his eyes boyishly bright, he looks little like the murderer that Ludo's coaxing has made him into. "I owe the Greatwood many debts for all she has done for me over the years." From keeping Ianto safe when the fox landed outside the barrier, for holding the key to things needed to unlock his power, even to hosting the Lady Arduinna, who had blinded him and yet in that taught him a great many things.

"Ludo has placed me here to serve as her guardian, but more so, I have seen how the ascended have trampled through here, heedless of the many, many warnings given to them—" The Mathair will have been brought back once the PQ+ ends, so we'll just handwave around that. "—and if my presence here is enough to keep them on their side of the border, then so be it."

Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Gazing down upon him and seeing such boyish and youthful features is almost humorous. They both hide sharp edges and monstrous delights beneath the cover of human skin. Though his efforts and kindness are all that have reached her ears, Nephele doubts Ludo would have chosen a demigod that could not achieve that which it wanted done.

“She cares for those who do so in return,” Nephele agrees, melting minutely as he says all the right things. Not that she trusts the words of humans at face value, when their tongues are poisonous worms that lie with unnatural ease.

Her lip curls like a jungle cat at the mention of the Ascended. “What you have created to dissuade them thus far is admirable. Your presence as her protector more so. But I believe more can be done.” She slips off the branch as if gravity has never been a physical force exerted upon her in her life, descending to stand before him where he reclines against the tree. “You are a dissuasion unto yourself, yes, but you are Ludo’s right hand. You cannot remain here eternally without sacrificing your purpose.” Tilting her chin to meet his gaze, seemingly unaware of the height difference between them, Nephele considers the demigod. “I wish to help. Please, tell me of your plans, that I may assist you in protecting our home.” The words are chosen meaningfully. A welcoming of Remi where few humans have ever swayed her. A tentative offer to strike up the bare bones of kinship.
is entirely up to you
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby
Remi doesn't deny this. Much more can be done. Should be done. Would be. Watching as Nephele descends, her wings much more silent than his own, he listens to the remainder of her proposal with an open mind.

'I would absolutely welcome your assistance." Despite Nephele's youthful features, no doubt she was much much older than he was. She had seen more, and knew more. Not one who was strategically minded, even he knew he'd be a fool to overlook the help she could bring. "The stronghold has been made, but there are no soldiers to keep it. My husband is the Dragon in Stormbreak, overseeing the dragoons. I had considered what it might be like to have a small grouping of his soldiers take up residence in the stronghold. Then it would not just be me, as you said." Everyone would need a briefing on how to best navigate the Greatwood, how to show her respect and what to do and not to do within her glades of course.

"The ascended grow stronger by the day, and though we do as well, if they put their minds to breaching the Greatwood, I am not sure many defences would stop them. Though..I have spoken with Frey about having the trees on the outskirts shine permanently with sunlight to dissuade them."

Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
She is not the type to preen. Instead there is a respectful tilt of her head, appreciative. “If they do come, I would be willing to give them briefings on the Greatwood, and Fae mannerisms. To ease them in socially, and ensure they do not wander and lose themselves in the woods.” A sardonic grin twitches at the edge of her lips, withheld but noticeable. As much as she inherently balks at the idea of humans moving in droves to the Greatwood, it is better than the Ascended. Unity must be achieved if they are to ally.

An ink-stained thumb rises to trace the fullness of her lower lip, contemplative. “Dissuasion is not enough. It relies upon underestimating their stubbornness, and individual resistance to the light.” Nephele would not give them the opportunity. “Perhaps the forest at the border could move to immobilize them if they tried to cross? Or if Frey could help us, a magical barrier they cannot cross? Juniper said Stormbreak has such defenses.” More violent in nature (which she personally appreciates) but it implies a precedence they can hopefully imitate.
is entirely up to you
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby
'That would be much appreciated. I have been here for a while and I have not even learned half of her ins and outs." Remi says with a self-deprecating chuckle. "Of course they needn't come anywhere near the village if that is still what the fae prefer." He adds.

"All we can do is ask. If it is something that stops them, perhaps even Ludo might help. A veil of shadows that they cannot pass through." He suggests, nodding as she mentions Stormbreak. The magic there was far more powerful than anything else Remi had seen thus far, but if providing a haven in the Greatwood was Ludo's will, why shouldn't the herald be amenable? 'Recently the ascended made it so that members of the Order could not cross into the Hollowed Grounds. If nothing else, perhaps we might narrow them down with something like that." Members of the Hollowed Ground being banned from the Greatwood, if not all ascended.

Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
“Our lives are much longer than yours, we have an advantage even if we were not born here.” It’s almost gentle, though her grin is undeniably amused. It’s a humorous pastime to watch the humans get turned around by the forest as they travel. “Times are changing. Even we must adapt. It would be something to discuss.” Far less pressing, but on the table.

Her hand drops from her lips to gently touch the shadowy shawl around her shoulders. “It mentioned something of the sort. But we have no real leadership in place, I don’t believe it would be inclined to assist without unanimous agreement.” Something for both demigod and Fae to consider in their budding plans. “We also have their portal to contend with,” she growls, pretty face twisting with displeasure. “I would prefer the defenses focus on the borders, lest it has an effect on the forest itself. But then they would still have an entrance to our lands.”
is entirely up to you
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby
Something occurs to him just then, and though it is the sort of thing he should likely consider more carefully before proposing, politics have never been Remi's strong suit. But there is more to governing and protecting a land than just crafty words.

"Since Delah...I think most have thought there is no one to speak on behalf of the Fae. I have never considered suggesting I rule these lands if only because...you are not my people, despite my vow to protect the woods. But what if..." Turning to face her more properly, the alchemist wonders if what he is about to say with rouse Nephile's ire, or her interest. Perhaps both. "We ruled together?" There was strength in numbers the same as there was strength in Remi. With Nephele speaking for the fae and Remi ensuring that her words were always backed up by the appropriate level of might and magic, surely there would be little stopping the Greatwood.

'I know in the past Alina was working with Safrin to make it so that any ascended who tried to arrive here through the portal would be injured. I helped her with part of it, though never knew if it was completed." There's a question in his voice as his head tilts to the side.

Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Delah's name inspires an ache in her chest, as it always does, but she cannot linger on sentiment and grief when what the man has to say is of such importance. Nephele exhales slowly, the only sign of being taken aback. Internally she's a little stunned. For all she'd done for her people, Nephele had never entertained the notion of leading them. Her first instinct is to recommend Juniper for the position instead, but she is young - Nephele is young, in her mind - and far more valuable as a diplomat. Remi's involvement does inspire an instinctive reaction of distaste that she must temper. He is a demigod, which elevates him beyond most humans, and respectful above all. Powerful enough to dissuade the Ascended should he rule, and with a Fae at his side...

Her silence may be unnerving, but when she at last blinks free of her deep musings, there is a determination to the set of her brow. "I would not be averse to the idea of ruling with you." The equivalent of a resounding yes from someone like Nephele. "Juniper has set up a hall, but there is no real seat of government. Not one outside of the Village at least - though you, at least, would be allowed." More god than man, and a ruler at that, Nephele can say that with confidence. "If you are certain this is what you want to do, I can begin construction of something immediately."

"I have never met Safrin," she admits plainly. "Though Juniper did inform me that Alina was turned away when she went to the Goddess at the assumed completion. We would have to see her once more, to ascertain whether we can pick up where she left off." Or if they would have to start from the bottom once more.
is entirely up to you
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby
As Nephele considers, Remi too turns inward to think about what he's just proposed. So it is that once the fae speaks, the alchemist has to blink himself out of his own thoughts that he might listen with disruption to what she's saying. "Given the nature of what an official building is and who it attracts, I would not subject the village to one." As Governor, Remi's home had been flooded at all hours of the day and night with all manner of questions and demands. The fae did not deserve that.

Exhaling stiffly, Remi nods. "I cannot say I am surprised. Safrin is...fickle at best." His jaw feathers, suggesting that she was far more than that, in his opinion. Had he hears capable of being pinned against his skull, they would have been just now. Instead, the alchemist just swallows. "My loyalties and my ability to persuade are mostly with Ludo. Perhaps Frey to some extent." A very small extent, but Remi would take a thousand unplanned children because of Frey than the things he knew to be true of Safrin.

Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
She hadn’t considered that possibility, but once proposed a frown of consideration forms on her face. “We could renovate the hall in the Branches for the humans, and I can make a smaller office in the Village for myself and Juniper?” Fingers tapping restlessly, idle and habitually active, she shifts her weight on her feet and her wings curl and flex. “The Branches can accommodate many, but perhaps we can set plots for smaller homes if any intend to stay more long term? Our architects may be able to adjust their craft to accommodate a lower vantage point - I would prefer that if possible.” It was less obtrusive and damaging to the forest, and while a bit of a culture shock perhaps, would sufficiently house anyone regardless of race. “Perhaps then we can convince any of the Hollowed Ground citizens to leave before they are put at risk.”

Hawk-gold eyes fall to the bulge of muscle in Remi’s jaw, intrigued. “You do not have good experiences with her? Hm…I can go alone and relay information to you then. I would consider working with only the other heralds in the future, but it seems remiss to not check on the possibility of finishing something halfway completed.” As odd as it is to cater to - or care about - the safety of the man, the idea does not irritate her.
is entirely up to you
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the lullaby
Listening, Remi is inclined to think that whatever his smaller counterpart believes to be best, will be. So he nods amenably as Nephele outlines the various renovations and updates they might do. "There is a woman interested in coming here as well...Seraphina. She is the architect from Stormbreak. I will leave it to you to decide if her talents could be useful to you, but she really is quite good." Not wanting to insert himself where he did not belong nor force a member of the Order into what was already a precarious political situation, Remi would leave Seraphine in Nephele's capable hands to be used (or not) as the fae saw fit.

"She..." Pausing, Remi considers swallowing down his hatred of the goddess until something occurs to him. "If we are to lead together, better you know this now. Safrin brought my husband back from the dead when the Spire Demon was killed. It was then she made him her demigod, and since that time...she has used him in ways that far outway whatever divine authority she should have over someone." And that was his way of putting it nicely. "I do not trust her. With the things I know of her...I can't." Swallowing, he sighs. "With Ronin here though, I am sure she will be inclined to help more, though I trust you to seek her out on your own and relay back what you hear."