Personal Quest Head down till the work is done
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Who am I, that the morning star would light the way for my wandering heart?
The morning was brisk and windy with clouds racing like tattered rags across a pale blue sky. It might as well be Deepfrost already given how cold it was, but at least there did not seem to be any snow storms brewing. Not imminently, at least; you never quite knew in Halo what weather the next hour would hold.

Filled with a nervous energy, Seren did her best to channel it into something useful. She had been up since the crack of dawn, packing and preparing for a trip that was meant to be short but eventful. A day at most; out and back again, after spending a night in the wilds. A letter had been sent to her father, explaining what she was up to - in case he wanted to tag along, just so there would be no worrying or misunderstandings - and she had even managed to rope in a friend in this.

At the appointed meeting time, she could be found at the gates of the Citadel, sitting on her heels before a packed bag. It's contents were half spilled onto the ground, examined for the third - or was it fourth? - time just to ensure that everything was there.

Seren was not used to packing bags.

This is a PQ to spend a night in the Fangs and to do so without the use of magic!

Participants:

1. Sah
2. Ronin

Please post your character arriving. No post order!
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
RONIN
the darkstar
light is easy to love.
Oh, Ronin is absolutely tagging along.

The without magic bit is something that annoys him more than it ought to, given how accustomed he was to this sort of life before becoming Safrin's chosen. But he thinks he's managed to jog his memory well enough, and he stands behind his daughter as she scatters her belongings across the ground before leaning in to pack them again.

"I think you might just have everything," he ventures, a small smile curling at the edges of his lips. Far be it for him to tell Seren what she should and shouldn't do, what she should and shouldn't pack - but they did have to leave eventually. Unless she planned to spend the night outside the gates of the Citadel.

"It's only for one night," he follows up, shifting his own bag on his shoulder. "Even if you did forget something, you should be alright."
show me your darkness.
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2895
Lightning makes no sound until is strikes
Sah and Lilly made their way up to the rendezvous point at the Citadel. The wolf pup had grown dramatically in the last season, but she still held the too-big paws and ears of puppy-hood. The two had packed their usual hunting gear and a few extra necessities and neither was worried about the trip ahead. Although Sah had been mildly surprised at the sudden invite from Seren, he was happy to tag along. The Outlander greatly enjoyed being out in the snowy wilderness already, so tagging along with a friend only sounded better.

It did feel a bit odd to be going back at the Fangs specifically though. This would be the first time he'd returned to them since arriving in Caido just under a year ago.

Upon arriving at the rendezvous point, Sah called out a greeting. "Seren, Ronin. Good to see you too again. Ready for a little challenge?" There was an easy and mildly playful smile on his face. Sah was used to using his magic, but he had certainly learned ho to survive and fight without it. His magic had been too weak to be effective when he'd first arrived in this world, after all.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Ronin's quips were hilarious. Seren grumbled something inaudible under breath, and shoved a bulky sweater down with probably a bit more force than strictly necessary.
"I know, but what if I forget something really important? It's not like I can just pop back and get it." Or stick her hand into the void to withdraw something from her island. Making herself remember these important things was part of the whole reason she was doing this - and to take her mind off less pleasant thoughts.

Getting to her feet and shrugging the backpack onto her shoulders with a grunt, she already regretted this 'no magic' ban. The pack weighed on her shoulders, straps cutting into her shoulders in a very unpleasant way. It was not until Sah arrived that her displeased scowl lightened; the girl smiled brightly at her friend.
"Hi Sah! Same, good to see you too. Thank you for coming along, I know this was a bit sudden."

Taking a deep breath, the girl looked between her companions. Focus, Seren. She could do this.
"You've both met before, right? Good, then I don't need to do introductions." She smiled at them, feeling a little odd to have them in the same place. It was a rare thing for her friend time and her family times to coincide. "So, Sah pointed out that my awareness of the strength of my own abilities is a bit... skewed. Or rather, that I have none." She poked her tongue out at the former wolf. "And he is right. I don't really know what I am capable of in many ways... so I want to test it today."

Shrugging the backpack into a less uncomfortable position, she went on. "Like I explained before, I want to hike up into the Fangs, stay for one night, and then try to be back here before sundown tomorrow.

"Sah - you're the designated local,"
she told him with a grin. "Do you think you can show us a path up into the mountains?

"And dad, you'll be the safety net. I want to do this completely without magic - companions aside of course - but if the weather becomes too terrible, or something turns up that's too dangerous... I trust you to judge when it's time to take safety first, and just go home. And I was hoping you could show me how to find a good camp site and make it secure.

"Does that sound alright?"

A tingle of excitement was starting up in her gut, more positive and thrilling than the nauseating dread that Hotaru's conversation had left her with. It would be good to forget about anything except the present for a while.

Sah has been tasked with guiding the way into the Fangs!
Ronin is on safety duty, and has been asked to find and secure a campsite for the night.
Seren will do her very best not to get anyone killed on her little expedition.

Let's go!
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah let out a low chuckle at Seren's display, playfully glaring. "I don't recall using those words exactly. I think it was more along the lines of telling you that most people can't maintain large-scale, powerful magic for hours on end." He teased, shaking his head fondly. Sah listened intently as Seren repeated the plan she'd outlined in the letter. It sounded like a fun little getaway honestly. But he was born and raised in the tundra and adored the cold. So he might be a bit bias.

Upon her request, Sah gave Seren a nod. "I can." When the group was ready to set out, Sah led the way. He led them first through a marked path often used by people only going somewhat up. But soon as they climbed, the path ended. From there was the real test.

With Lilly's nose to the ground, and Sah's eyes on their surroundings, they began to chart a course. The Abandoned checked the position of the sun as they went, to ensure they'd stayed their course. As for the path itself, he did his best to lead them through relatively even ground that was more snow and rock then slick ice. Sah also did his best to point out any areas of rougher terrain so as to prevent any unwanted slips or twisted ankles. Lilly stayed just ahead as a scout.

Sah does his best to lead them up the mountain. He's trying to keep them to a path that's more snow/rock then just ice and also pointing out any rough spots beforehand to prevent injuries. Lilly is also working a bit as a scout, checking just ahead before returning.
Sah
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RONIN
the darkstar
light is easy to love.
Raising his eyebrows between his daughter and her friend, he waits for them to say their hellos and prepare to set off, nodding to Seren in understanding of the part he was to play. "No awareness of your own strength, huh?" he murmurs. "So that's why we're going to spend a night out in the mountains? Alright."

From there, he's really just a chaperone, or that's what it feels like. Sah and Lilly go ahead and Ronin makes sure he's watching their backs, keeping his eyes peeled for anything to worry about, any animal tracks in the snow and the like. And he's alert, too, for somewhere they might stay that's under cover and out of the elements.

"What about there?" he asks, nodding up an incline to their right. There's an opening in the rock and snow, one that might lead the way to a promising cave.

Ronin watches their backs and points out a cave they might want to explore or find shelter within.
show me your darkness.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren raised a brow at her father's words. She couldn't quite decide if it sounded sour or if it was simply a comment. "Do you disapprove?" she asked him mildly. "If I dragged you away from something more important, I am sorry." Though she didn't mean to, there was a slight barb in her tone; this was important to her, and he had been asked to join. Not forced.

Hefting her bag, Seren set out after Sah, with Ronin following at her back. A reassuring thing, to be sure, even though a thorn of doubt had begun to niggle in her mind after that comment. Was this a stupid thing to do? Should she be spending her time on other things? Maybe he would have been happier if this was an expedition around Stormbreak, with some Dragoon recruits. Perhaps if she had found any friends among them, she might have done that...

But now they were here, and there was no point in second guessing.

Sah's chosen path proved to be quite easy to follow. While a recent avalanche had passed through and made the going rather cumbersome, the elevation was gradual. With the help of Lilly, he guided them steadily around any dangerous areas, many that Seren would have happily trudged right into. It was often only when looking back over her shoulder that she noticed how treacherous a certain patch of ground really had been. Even so, the loose and shifting footing did not make for a quick trek, and they lost quite a bit of time whilst navigating around gargantuan piles of snow and ice.
"You're quite good at this," Seren remarked at one point when they paused for breath. "Now I'm really glad you came along."

The cave Ronin pointed out was a welcome sight. While Seren found herself able to keep up without much trouble, she was struggling with her pack. Whether something had shifted during the hike or if she simply distributed the weight awkwardly was hard to say, but the straps that cut into her shoulders kept cutting blood flow to her left hand, to the point where the fingers sometimes felt numb.
"Oh, nice! Sure, let's check it out," she agreed, exhaling a breath that clouded thickly in the air. It was growing steadily colder the higher they climbed, and while the sky remained clear, it threatened to become a very cold night indeed.

Trudging over towards the entrance, the deep darkness looming within gave her some pause. The cave mouth was surrounded by a drape of beautiful but dangerous looking stalactites of ice, and the cavern floor sloped quite steeply downwards, further than her eyes could make out. This would have been a perfect time for some star-critters, or perhaps a happy gleam from her father... but no. No magic.

"I'll get some torches," she suggested, more than happy to strip the bag off her back.

- Sah successfully guided them into the Fangs, and while the going was a little slow, they managed to avoid incidents.
- Ronin's cave is steep and dark and covered with ice! While it certainly goes further in, it is impossible to say from the outside whether it is actually safe or not. Further exploring will be required.
- Seren discovered that she is able to keep up but struggles with the weight of her pack.

The weather remains stable, the night promises to be clear but very cold and windy.

Next task: Explore the cave and make a secure camp! Grab a torch, and let's see what's in there.
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
the darkstar
light is easy to love.
"Of course I don't disapprove," Ronin says softly, raising his eyebrows at his daughter as they make their way up into the mountains. "Maybe I just don't understand how this will help you gain an awareness of that strength." There's no barb to his words at least - indeed, in this particular season Seren will not find a more stalwart guardian.

Which probably explains the hand that touches to her shoulder as they make their way up to the cave he's found. "Would you like me to carry that?" he asks. "No magic needed, I've just got more strength than I know what to do with. You can concentrate more on keeping warm and comfortable."

Regardless of her decision, they all need to stop to get torches anyway, and though it would be all too easy to light them using the phoenix fire in his feathers, he opts for a good old tinderbox instead. "It's been a while since I used one of these." He smiles, raising the torch once it's lit and starting to lead the way in.

Ronin offers to carry Seren's pack for her and lights his torch, leading the way into the cave.
show me your darkness.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah takes an offered torch, heading into the cave as well. He and Lilly flank Ronin, acting as extra eyes on their surroundings. Lilly had her nose in the air, trying to sniff out any threats. Sah couldn't quite see the top of the cave so he whispered a warning. "If the cave had ice on the front, there might be some on the ceiling. Keep your voices down, we don't want any icicles or stalagmites raining down on us."

As they explored the cave, the Abandoned kept his eye out for any open caverns that appeared relatively dry and sheltered from the elements. Ideally ones without such dangers lurking above. A spot like that would make a decent enough camp for the night.

Sah enters the cave with Lilly, looking for a potential camp for the night. He warns Seren and Ronin to keep their voices down so as not to cause any icicles or stalagmites to fall.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Ronin's reply was soft and soothing, and Seren felt a little guitly for misunderstanding. Her expression softened, and with deliberate effort she shoved the nerves down, down, and away from the moment. Clearly she was too tense, and reading into things that weren't there.
"Sorry dad," she apologized, regretting her tone. "I'm afraid that I rely too much on my abilities. And that if a time comes when they won't work for some reason, I will stumble around blindly because I don't know myself without them. Going about every day life simply doesn't make me reflect on consequences enough... Do you see what I mean?"

She nudged a chin meaningfully towards Sah, and her gaze followed the young man's back where he walked ahead of them; he had been robbed of his powers and plunged into a world where he needed them, yet only retained a vestige of his former strength. He had made it though, and was rebuilding that strength... yet in the process, how much better acquainted was he not with himself? Seren admired that.

Her point was proven - at least in her own eyes - as they prepared to descend into the cave. Ronin's offer to take her bag was met with a grateful smile, and she nodded as she handed it over to him.
"See?" she murmured. "Had I used magic, I would never have realized that was too heavy. I would have lightened it in an instant... and never realized I need to work on my body strength." Her wink to her father was small, but rather pleased. Already this expedition was paying off.

Once everyone was equipped with torches, the exploration of the cave commenced.

Ronin went first. Upon entering, the flickering torchlight revealed that the cavern was long and narrow and cut deeply into the mountainside. A floor slick with ice sloped rather steeply downward for a few yards before leveling out and opening up into a rather large circular space. Several paths branched off from it in different directions. It would seem they had stumbled over one of the many entrances to the ice tunnels beneath the Fangs.

It also became apparent, as soon as light was cast upon that open space, that something else had already claimed this space for itself. A huge mound of what appeared to be shaggy white fur lay nestled in a nook below, its sides rising and falling with every long, rumbling breath. Asleep for now, but who knew how long that would last? The light cast upon its figure made the creature grunt and stir, shifting its stance just enough to reveal a pair of enormous tusks jutting from its jaws. It was an Ursur.

Sah's cautioning words were heeded by Seren, who refrained from indulging in more of her usual chatter. His search for nooks in which to shelter revealed only the dark, deep tunnels branching off from the opening up ahead. Unfortunately, he was also quite correct about the ceiling being covered in ice. He should perhaps have spared a look upward; because he had not managed far into the cave before his raised torch smacked into a low-slung icicle with enough force to set the whole roof to quivering.

The subsequent tremors shuddered and tinkled down into the tunnel, sending small fragments of ice clinking to the ground and bouncing harmlessly off their heads and shoulders. Seren held her breath, wide eyed and with a lurch of tension leaping back up from her guts. Slowly, her eyes turned from Sah to Ronin, terrified that speaking would somehow make this volatile mixture of accidents go off.

What did they do now?

Oh wow the rolls were terrible, sorry guys!  

Seren accepted Ronin's offer for help and gave him her bag.

Ronin discovered an Ursur that's made its home in the back of the cave! It appears to be asleep, but the light of the torches has disturbed it.

Sah fails to find any nooks other than the branching tunnels, and his torch bangs into a few low-hanging stalactites so that they begin to shudder and rain ice shards down on them. Fortunately no one got hurt.

It's looking quite dangerous! Will you turn back, or try to take out the Ursur before it wakes up?
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
the darkstar
light is easy to love.
Ronin accepts the pack from Seren, adding the weight easily to what's already on his back. His smile turns warm and understanding, and when he nods to her it's with a hint of pride in his expression. "Well put," he rumbles. "I'm sure you must have gotten your smarts from your mother." Is that entirely true? Ronin could stick his hand into a beehive for honey one second, and come up with a tactical plan of attack for a war in the next. They'll just have to see if Seren gets tempted by any beehives, he supposes.

But into the cave they go, the Star nodding at Sah's advice and hissing out a soft curse to realise how steep the cave is. They manage to get down, Ronin encouraging them to stick to the sides of the trail where the snow has piled up. And then they're in! And so is an Ursur. Fuck.

As the first one down there, the choice is easy for Ronin. He holds up a hand to Seren and Sah in the hope that he can prevent them from going any further. "We turn back," he whispers. "We came here to make a camp, not steal someone else's. Be as quick and as quiet as you can."

Ronin turns this car around (lmao) and suggests they go back as the cave is already occupied. Hopefully they don't slip!
show me your darkness.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah freezes immediately at Ronin's signal, eyes peering forward to try and spot what had the Star on edge. Lilly beside him folds her ears back, she clearly sees the ursur too. But in the spirit of 'no magic' doesn't send the image to her bonded, only gives him a small nudge towards the entrance of the cave. Then the torchlight hits the beast and Sah sees why both Star and wolf are ready to leave. He has zero complaints and gives Ronin a nod of assent.

There's no need to talk further so Sah begins to make his way out. He sends Lilly in front of him so he can act as a barrier between the pup and the threat. As he moves out, Sah watches their surroundings and tries not to send any more icicles or  stalagmites coming down. The last thing they need is for the ursur to be enraged. He also attempts to keep a watchful eye on his companions in case things go south.

Sah has no complaints and starts to head out of the cave as silently as he can. He's paying extra attention to their surroundings and is trying to avoid causing any more ruckus like before. He's sent Lilly ahead of him for her safety. He's also keeping an eye on Ronin and Seren in case things go wrong.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren looked from her father to her friend, and nodded as she got the message.
They turned back. The path was still steep and slick with ice, and it turned out that getting back up was a lot more difficult than scaling down.

Ronin has the best success, and makes it up to the cavern mouth quite without incident. Behind him however, the situation was quickly beginning to spiral out of hand.

Seren and Sah were both scrabbling for footing, even while keeping to the sides of the narrow path. Their feet scraped loose a few good sized chunks of hard-packed snow in the attempt to leave, and with a loud clatter the clumps tumble and bounce down, down, to thump against the side of the Ursur. With a grunt the giant bear creature came awake, bleary eyed and blinking against the sticking light of torches. With a roar, it lurched onto its feet, decidedly displeased with being awakened to find intruders in its lair.

This was where Sah's day began to turn really bad. Lilly's tiny puppy feet suddenly gave out on her on the treacherous path, and she was sent skidding on her belly past him, past Seren and right back down towards the Ursur!

Seren made a desperate grab for the wolf cub when she came careening past, and while she managed to catch the scruff, her own feet gave way, and sent her slipping down several feet before latching onto a crack in the wall. Barely managing to cling to the path without skidding further down, Seren and Lilly now found themselves staring at a lumbering mass of fur and tusks that came charging straight towards them.

Clutching the puppy to her chest, Seren was torn. Instinct told her to take cover by slipping herself and the small companion onto the Island, but stubbornness even now made her hesitate. They had barely begun this journey of no-magic exploration... was it really going to end already?

Oh no! The ursur woke up and is being a complete grump!

Ronin manages to scale the slippery path without slipping, and makes it safely up to the mouth of the cavern.
Sah is having more trouble; in the attempt to scale the slippery path he and Seren accidentally kick loose some chunks of ice that tumble down and waken the Ursur. And it doesn't end there; Lilly slips and despite his best intentions begins to skid back down the path, right towards the Ursur!

Seren manages to catch Lilly as she comes skidding past, but looses her footing in the process! Barely holding on to the wall, she and the puppy is now directly in the path of the charging Ursur.

Decide: Will you to attempt fighting the Ursur off without magic, or abort the mission? The situation can still be salvaged! But is it worth the risk?
Seren
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah felt his heart sink before rage overtook his panic. His pup was in danger. His pack was in danger. Absolutely not. He knew this mission was important for Seren so he would make one last non-magic effort. If it failed, then all bets were off.

Eyeing the icicles around them, Sah snapped one off and with an inhuman snarl threw it as an improvised spear towards the ursur. The beast was a big enough target that even if he missed his mark for the neck, it should still hit the beast. And that would hopefully be enough of a distraction for Seren and Lilly to escape.

"Seren duck! Get yourself and Lilly out of there!" He whisper-yelled, still trying not to set off the icicles above their heads. Sah glanced at Ronin. "If I miss, fuck the mission and use your magic.

Sah warns Seren to duck and throws an icicle spear at the ursur. He wants it to be a distraction at the very least and kill the ursur at best. Sah also tells Ronin that if he misses, the demigod should use his magic to take out the threat.
Sah