all is fair in love and war
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
right by the entrance you broke, finally reality's taking its hold
It’s later when he arrives, though at least Leafchange had brought some cooling clouds to Torchline. It isn’t as warm, the threat of rain is scented in the air, and Sunjata makes his way toward the Halenani to darken the doorstep of Maeve’s with the quiet hope that whatever she has to tell him won’t continue to add to his overflowing plate.

He’s still paranoid, because of course he is. He’s guarded, closed off, dressed in a light shirt only half buttoned, dark boots and pants to accompany it and the chill in the air. At least he’s always been a furnace and he’s sure that Maeve’s will be warm at the very least if he does end up getting cold.

A lightning scarred hand rises to knock at her door, before he steps back and shoves his hands into his pockets, waiting and looking away from the door at something - though it’s definitely the fact he’s compelled some bats to flit around the outside just to keep tabs before he loosens his hold on them.
you're not who you were, but you can't let it go
you're not where you're from, but you're always alone
SUNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

The time of day really holds little sway over the Madame. She's always been more of a night owl than anything. It isn't surprising that she's still up and about. Even if she wasn't inclined to sleep during the day and exist primarily at night, the Madame wouldn't be able to rest anyway. Not with all the thoughts buzzing in her head, not with the way her bed is permanently empty when it's time to turn in, and not with the news she's yet to tell anyone other than Aurelia. No, she wouldn't be sleeping at all.

Sunjata only has to wait a moment before the door is opening, the warm interior greeting him along with Maeve, a small smile on her lips. She looks tired. Dark smudges under her eyes that aren't just from makeup and her skin seems a touch paler than usual. Clothed in a loose pair of cotton pants, sock on her feet, and a cardigan wrapped around her slender frame to finish it all off. A fire crackles in the hearth, warming the space just like Jata predicted, keeping out the chill of the cool night air.

"Jata... Come in." Maeve murmurs, stepping aside for him to enter, closing the door behind him with a soft click. Lazily Aidon lifts his head, rumbling in greeting before dropping his head back onto his crossed paws, tail flicking back and forth as he rests in front of the fire.
NO ONE WANTS YOU WHEN YOU HAVE NO HEART
AND I’M SITTING PRETTY IN MY BRAND NEW SCARS
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
The door opens and Sunjata’s head tilts back toward it, a cautious steel that meets an exhausted Maeve. There’s a small smile that plays on her lips yet Sunjata can’t find the effort within himself to match it, to offer one back. All he can do is nod along with his greeting, with a voice that’s far less hoarse than it had been, but still just as thickly accented and tired as before. “Maeve.” He steps in once she steps aside, his gaze flickering around the room, finding it warm and inviting.

Truthfully, he feels quite out of place here with all the clouds and storms he brings with him. So he remains standing, gaze slipping to Aidon with the dragon’s greeting, before his attention is returning to Maeve, hands pulled out of his pockets to readjust the shirt that’s settled on his shoulders. “You said you have news?” He asks, cutting a bit to the chase, too tired for pleasantries among the rest of everything.
SUNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

He's still closed off and Maeve isn't surprised to see it. Still, she tries her best to put her best foot forward with him. Maeve heads deeper into the living space. The layout similar yet different from her previous apartment. There is no bed, but instead a proper kitchen, living area, and a dining table. A hallway shoots off the main room, likely leading towards the bedroom and bathroom, both tucked out of sight. Maeve drifts into the kitchen, putting on a kettle for herself and finding a new bottle of rum for the governor, snagging a glass for the man.

"Uh, yeah... I have some news and some ideas." She says softly, getting a tray together for the tea as she waits for the water to heat up, "Please sit down." Maeve motions to the couch near the fireplace, inviting him to get comfortable despite the way he's still wound so tight and she hopes that what she has to tell to him doesn't add to that. It's the last thing she wants.

The kettle starts to whistle and Maeve quickly kills the heat, filling the teapot, adding the leaves so they can steep. Rum and accompanying glass are placed on the tray as well before she's heading over to join him, settling on the opposite end of the couch, "Would you like rum or tea?"
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Some news and ideas spark his interest, at least. And he finds his way into the rest of the living room, to sit at that space she’s directed. He sinks into the couch, long legs stretching out before him, a scarred hand rising to run through his hair as he tries his best to appear comfortable, even if his muscles are still wound, still tight, as if anything were to happen he’d be able to immediately react to it.

Which, he would be.

He considers the options she lays out, head tilting a fraction as he considers it when the tea begins to whistle. “Rum would be nice.” He offers her, gaze following her as she moves to sit on the other end of the couch – to which Sunjata readjusts the way he’s sitting a fraction so that he might be able to better give her all of his attention. “Perhaps tea after, but definitely rum to start.” Gods know he needs it.
SUNJATA
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Aidon deins Sunjata worthy enough to warrant rousing from his spot, trotting over to him, nudging at his hand for the scratches that he knows Sunjata is very good at giving. He's gotten bigger since the Flood has last seen him. At least doubling in size. Maeve joins him shortly after, smiling at her companion's antics as she uncorks the bottle for him, pouring a healthy glass, "From Jack's new shipment. Everyone says it's a good batch. Spicy, smooth, and strong." The Madame explains, picking up the glass and passing it to him, setting the bottle back down onto the table within reach for the Flood should he desire to refill.

"I thought you might enjoy it." Maeve pours herself a cup of tea, forgoing the rum for herself, adding a couple of sugar cubes and a splash of cream. She gives the hot liquid a stir, letting it cool as she holds the cup between her hands, letting it warm her fingers. Her leg tucks beneath her as she settles back against the arm of the couch, letting the pillows support her back, considering where to start. "Your voice is sounding better... I'm assuming that means you're healing well enough?" Maeve asks, arching her brow as she regards him, finding it easier to start here than with herself.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
The dragon trots over and Sunjata only notices when the dragon’s nosing his hand. It makes for a good distraction, at least, and he does give into scratching Aidon’s scales, gently and idly with as much distraction as everything else he has. The rum is placed in a glass and handed to him and he lifts it to his lips, taking a sip. “It’s good.” He says gently, swallowing against the burn as he turns his attention back to Maeve.

Rum wasn’t his favorite, but it was still up there in favoritism. So he nurses the glass, scratches Aidon, and watches Maeve as she comments on his voice. “Getting there, yes.” He agrees gently. “I tore it a few times in the process so it’s taken longer.” Perhaps she might remember the blood that had streaked part of his cheek during their argument, if she needed some sort of reference.

And you?” He asks, pausing a moment. “You look tired.
SUNJATA
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"Glad you like it. I know you prefer whiskey, but they've taken it all for the bar." Maeve says in way of apology, bringing her tea up to take a sip, letting the warm liquid soothe her sudden nerves. He's going to ask. She already knows. It's how these things go. A simple back and forth before diving into the heavier things, but Maeve is the one feeling heavy this time. "Good... I'm sorry again for that night. I know I likely didn't help." It goes without saying. They both know that fight made things worse for his throat, set him back in his healing, but there was nothing to be done for it now.

Her eyes drop, fingers tightening around her cup as she draws in a breath, nodding slowly. "I am tired... It's been a while since I've had such late nights." It's a poor excuse and she can't avoid talking about it. They're friends and he's asking after her. Maeve licks her lips, thumb rubbing against the handle of her teacup, brows knitting together as her jaw works. The words don't want to come. Everytime she admits it she thinks it'll hurt less, but it doesn't. "Locke left-" her words cut off and the sting of tears is there instantly, but she blinks them back, staring off into the flames as she makes herself continue. "He left me." A bitterness seeps into her words, hurt flaring up all over again in her chest, tightening around her heart and making her stomach turn.

"That's not the only thing." Maeve's words are barely a whisper, looking up at him with red rimmed eyes, bottom lip caught between her teeth.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Her apology is waved off with a nod – rum was fine enough, and Sunjata certainly kept his own stash of whiskey back at home. Rum will still get him at least buzzed if not a bit more fucked up and it’s something that he’s quietly counting on. “It was one of the tears, yes.” He agrees quietly, nodding again to her apology. It’s accepted, but he’s still trying to be good with his voice, trying to keep it from growing too irritated.

At least until the alcohol’s done its job and he stops feeling it.

I apologize for arriving so late.” He offers his own apology – finding it odd why she didn’t stay up so late anymore, but that was beside the point as she continues. A dark brow raises as she dives straight into the issues, that Locke had left. “Oh.” He says a bit dumbly, lowering the glass to his thigh, working his jaw a moment. “I’m sorry.” There’s a part of him that wonders what happened, what had caused it, but there’s a bigger part of him that can’t add it to his plate.

What else?” He quietly prompts, his gaze finding her red ringed ones while his remain dark shadowed pools of silver.
SUNJATA
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

There is a wave of guilt for his confirmation that she was the cause of one of the tears, but she already knew that she was. Maeve nods slowly, accepting the dismissal because she doesn't really have it in her to push further, but neither of them do. They're both a bit drained, tired, and barely keeping it together.

"Oh, no, it's fine. I was getting to bed earlier, but since the Halenani has reopened my nights are much longer." Not only were they longer, but somehow emptier. Whether it was because Locke isn't sharing her bed or something else was to be determined. "On top of not really sleeping." Her shoulders lift in a shrug, explaining part of what's dragging her down, weighing heavy on her heart. The response doesn't really surprise her. What can you even say to that? A laugh that holds no humor pushes past her lips, coloring the air between them, but she lifts her eyes to his. "I am too. I don't even know what brought it on. He just- just said he didn't needed me and told me to leave."

Maeve presses her lips together in a thin line, drawing in a slow breath, "I'm pregnant..." Does he even care? She's not sure he will, but she doesn't have anyone else to tell. Aurelia is the only other person who knows and she's feeling so overwhelmed by it all. If anyone understands the sudden fear of having a child that they'll have to raise on their own it's him.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
He hums a quiet sound in understanding, an equally humorless smile crossing his face as he nods. “I know what that’s like.” He agrees – the whole sleeping terribly – she should know about that too, after all. As for the Halenani opening and keeping her nights longer, that makes sense too. It had been a while, after all.

But the conversation shifts to Locke leaving and Sunjata’s attention is a bit more focused now, some sort of understanding glimmering in the dark pools of his eyes. He’s done that before. Pushed away because of fear and a multitude of other things, perhaps that’s what had happened here too? He had felt as though Locke and him were similar in some aspects, who’s to say that they weren’t in that regard. “Perhaps he’ll come back around?” He suggests quietly, weakly, until her next subject drops and it does actually still him.

He’s like a statue in the way he watches her and the stone drops into the pit of his stomach, his mind flickering through the math of everything, scanning her a bit more intently, wondering if she’s showing, how much she is, trying to calculate when the last time he’d slept with her was and whether it was his, because that’s certainly adding too much onto his plate. He should be giving her a congratulations, he knows it made him feel better when he found out he was going to be a father, but the only thoughts that zing into his mind are one: he’s tired of getting that pregnancy ball dropped onto him, and two: “Is Locke the father?
SUNJATA
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

There is a reassurance in the fact that he understands. If there is anything he gets it's this. How hard it is to sleep when your life seems to be falling apart, working late nights, nightmares. All of it commonplace for him. Maeve manages a wane smile, thumb still rubbing against the handle of her teacup, cleaning off an invisible smudge. "I know you do." She murmurs, meeting his gaze and finding a soft understanding there, the fact that it's there soothing her frayed nerves.

They were similar. That was part of the problem, wasn't it? That Locke and Sunjata were cut from the same cloth, but neither of them were exactly the same. Just enough to make the former insecure despite the fact that Maeve had picked him. It hadn't been enough, had it? Her choice, her promise, her willingness to try just being his. None of it had been enough. She wasn't enough. "Perhaps... I heard he's leaving with the Ark. They've likely set sail already." Part of her wishes he had. If only because him being gone would make it easier to resist the urge to track him down.

Maeve watches the gears turn in his head, trying to do the math, trying to piece it all together. She's quick to soothe his worries, "I'm only six weeks, I think. I haven't seen Phoebe yet to be sure, but I'm not far along at all." If it had been his then she'd be much further along. She'd be showing. They were last with each other midway through Flowerbirth. That was well over three months ago. She nods slowly, dropping his gaze to stare at the fire again, watching the flames dance across the logs. "He's the only one I've been with since you. I wasn't working between then and now." And the only client she's taken is Jack and it absolutely couldn't be him given how recently it happened.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Leaving for the Ark at least means that he’ll be back at some point, and Sunjata carefully watches Maeve as his question is aired, waiting for the ball to drop – because it seemed to always fall for him. The mention of Phoebe has him blinking a fraction, becoming less of a pillar as he lifts the glass to his lips again, taking in her math along with his own and actually breathing a sigh of relief, even as his veins still feel as if they’re full of ice. “I see.” He replies instead of oh thank the gods.

Probably better that way.

Her assurances over Locke definitely being the father, though, have him sitting forward to fill his glass again with the rum, leaned forward enough that his elbows can rest on his knees when he tilts his head back toward her. “Well, congratulations.Now he can say it, now that he knows it isn’t throwing his life into yet another spiral. “And you should tell him, when he’s back from the Ark.” Sunjata knows that he would want to know, though he doesn’t dare speak for Locke.

Hell, back before Phoebe and him had gotten married there had been a time where Phoebe had been pregnant with his child if it weren’t for the blight. He had wanted to know then, even if he didn’t want children. And whether it even resulted in being together with her or not, he’d still want to be a part of the child’s life. “Until then, you have your support system here. With the Halenani and its workers.
SUNJATA
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It is likely for the best. Maeve wouldn't want to put more on him. Especially not a pregnancy. Wouldn't that be a fucking mess? He's spared this time from this ball dropping. Instead it's just her left to bear the weight of it all. Even though he doesn't say it, she knows he's thinking it and can't help teasing him. Maeve shifts, poking his thigh with her socked foot, managing a small smile for him, "Breathe easy, beastie. There isn't anything to worry about. At least, not for you." Her tone manges to be light for a brief moment and she does feel lighter. If only because telling someone else felt like a relief. It wasn't all on her. Not that Jata had any responsibility in this, but it still helps.

"Thank you. I- I'm happy about it. I've always wanted a baby, but I'm scared." She knows she doesn't have to elaborate. She knows that he understands. The war, the preparations, the danger of it all. Her hand moves to rest idly on her still flat stomach, fingers brushing lightly over the loose fabric of her camisole. "I'll tell him." He deserves to know. She wants him to know. Whether he would want to be involved is something else entirely.

Maeve nods again, taking a small sip of her tea, "I do. I won't be alone. I know that. I'm just worried." She sighs, leaning forward to add more to her own cup, "That isn't all I wanted to talk to you about, though. It wasn't even what I intended to for this meeting to be about in the first place."