lend me your flaming sword
for Amalia
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Arialla

Perhaps Arialla sought out Amalia simply because Amalia was among Safrin's greatest servants. Arialla didn't even dare aspire to such heights. In fact, while her attack and subsequent healing had only strengthened her faith in the Old Gods, something in her cringed at the idea of actually speaking to Safrin again. Once, Safrin's regard had warmed and encouraged her; now she felt unworthy, small, dirty. Broken. If she summoned Safrin, the goddess would know at once what had happened and how hollow it had left Arialla. She would see that there was nothing beautiful left in her, and what was the goddess of beauty to do with that?

Arialla couldn't lie to a goddess, couldn't conceal her condition from Safrin. But she could deceive a mortal woman, even a demigod. She could conceal the flaws in her soul from Amalia -- in her soul, and in her body; she made sure to wear a high-collared shirt to the Temple. Sometimes she bared the scar on her throat as a badge of what she had survived -- to remind those around her how brutal the Ascended were -- but today she wanted to pretend to be whole. Besides, it felt profane to show her wound in the Temple; no work of the Ascended, of the Voice, should enter this sacred space.

Of course, the easiest thing would have been to avoid Amalia and Safrin both. But war was coming, and Arialla wanted marching orders, and she wanted them now, not in eight seasons. She saw no point in waiting and letting the Ascended sharpen their fangs. So if she didn't dare talk to Safrin, she'd go to the Archangel for direction.

Once, Arialla had feared war and her potential role in it. Now she embraced it, embodied it, the Ascended's aggression now written on her body. Once, she would have sought out Amalia to try to save the Ascended's souls. Now she knew their damnation was well deserved.

She pushed all of these thoughts aside as she actually spotted Amalia. Working her way through the worshipers towards the woman, Arialla tugged her collar up and tried for a smile, not realizing that it looked slightly off on her recently-dour face. "Amalia? May I speak with you?"

please don't take my sunshine away

coding base by Skylark
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
the archangel
It is the end of a sermon, and the worshippers have filed into the aisles to go accost Gideon with their sorrows and questions, their dreams and their doubts. Many, but not all: as the days go on a larger and larger minority of the populace has moved its way in a different stream, making a tributary that goes not to the Priest, but the Archangel who stands silent in the temple, a halo keeping her from hiding in shadow, a wreath of laurel in her hair. The first few times it happened Amalia bristled, uncomfortable and alarmed at this show of faith; now she has come to expect it, even enjoy it, to find some comfort in the familiar faces and the knowledge she brings them some solace, however slight.

The crowd is thinning when she hears her name come from distantly familiar lips. Assuming the speaker to be another parishioner, Amalia turns with a courteous smile, an expression which immediately cracks and gives way into something more ardent as the one-time-priestess comes into view. "Arialla!" the Angel whisper-cries, stepping out from her small entourage and extending a hand towards the tired looking girl. Concern and relief crease her eyes, warming her alto voice. "Of course- I didn't know you were in Stormbreak. Have you eaten? Do you want some tea?"
she is calm in the storm
and anxious in the quiet
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:

Arialla

The fact that Amalia was glad to see her lifted Arialla's spirits somewhat, though a voice in the back of her mind said that the Archangel wouldn't feel so if she knew what Arialla wanted from her. But she appreciated Amalia's politeness anyway. "I haven't been here long -- just since the start of the season. I've eaten, but some tea would be nice."

Arialla couldn't help glancing at the worshipers who had come to see Amalia, to bask in the demigod's reflected radiance. It wasn't that she judged them or anything -- she was there for the same reason. Rather, she wondered how they perceived her: a stranger pulling the Archangel away from them. Arialla imagined dislike in their expressions and could not say whether it really existed. She often felt that people looked askance at her these days. Perhaps she'd grown paranoid.

coding base by Skylark
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
the archangel
Truth be told, Amalia is relieved by the rescue, as well as by seeing Arialla well. Nodding eagerly at the request for tea, she strides ahead of the young priestess and toward the residential wing of the Temple. "Great- I have a room back here," the Shield explains. "If you want, we can start a pot going then sit in the gardens outside?"

If it's there, Amalia doesn't notice the disease on Arialla's face - or doesn't comment on it. That is, not until they've rounded a corner and escaped the milling throng, leaving it in favor of a quieter hallway where fewer mix and mingle. Only then does Amalia slow, turning back to the other woman. "Sorry- it can get, um, overwhelming. For me, at least." She shrugs, expression growing serious, concerned. "How... Are you okay? Gideon told me you were attacked..."
she is calm in the storm
and anxious in the quiet
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

"That sounds nice." Arialla might intend to discuss heavy topics, but there was no reason they couldn't sit somewhere pleasant while they discussed them -- a bright garden for dark days. She followed Amalia, also relieved to leave the crowd behind. Crowds made her think about how quickly a blade might be slid in and out of ribs. But she wasn't comfortable in deserted places, either, having been attacked in an empty alley. In truth, Arialla was rarely comfortable at all these days.

"I can understand that," Arialla said, and if there was something slightly mechanical in her expression of sympathy -- a sense that she was going through the motions to get to the point and move on -- it was only a small note. "But the people here look to you for guidance."

I look to you for guidance, Arialla thought, but didn't say, not yet. First she had to answer Amalia's question about the attack. For a moment she weighed how to respond. "I'm ... Physically, I'm fine. The gods smiled on me and healed me quickly. I ... It has changed how I look at the world, though."

coding base by Skylark
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the archangel
"I don't know about guidance," Amalia responds with an embarrassed grimace, rolling her shoulders in a shrug. The flicker of insincerity in Arialla's voice is unexpected, and the Angel doesn't know the young priestess well enough to tell if she imagined it. But the moment fades into deeper shadow, and any doubt fades away, replaced with empathy and sorrow.

The weight of Arialla's experience sits on Amalia's heart like a stone. "I can imagine," she murmurs softly, extending a hand to brush against the redhead's arm, Attuned bond bright with empathy. "Thank the Gods Gideon was there. Do... Do you want to talk about it?"
she is calm in the storm
and anxious in the quiet
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

That wasn't exactly what Arialla wanted to hear from Amalia. Modesty didn't help her; she needed a leader, someone who would tell her what to do, how to fight. And she most definitely wanted to fight.

But she concealed her disappointment, trying to appreciate Amalia's sympathy -- and locking down her own Attuned bond very carefully so that Amalia couldn't sense her impatience in return. Instead Arialla forced a smile. "The gods placed me in Gideon's path because it was not my time to die. Still, I will be forever grateful to him. I ... would rather not talk about it, actually."

There was nothing to be gained by discussing the event, as far as Arialla was concerned. She didn't mind trotting it out as a set piece, using her scar to elicit sympathy and hatred of the Ascended -- but she didn't need Amalia's sympathy, shouldn't need to sway Amalia's mind. And, that being the case, she'd just as soon avoid the subject.

"Actually, I came to ask if you needed any help." Did that come out right? Arialla couldn't tell anymore. She clarified: "I want to serve in the coming conflict, but I don't know where to start."

coding base by Skylark
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the archangel
"Okay," Amalia accepts quickly, pulling her hand back from Arialla, her lips pushed pensively to the side. Her voice is soft when she speaks again, but with a steel underneath. "Only... if you know who it was, or had any information... we might be able to get justice."

Only, Gods, let it not be Sam.

The offer of aid is met with good-natured surprise, Amalia raising a pale brow as a blush creeps over her cheeks. "Oh-? I mean, I can't say I would know much more of where to begin." A wry chuckle coils from her lips as they continue down the hallway, coming to stop in front of a closed door. Patting and searching through her pockets, the Angel continues. "I've been doing research, mostly, trying to learn what I can about the Champions- Mort, where's my key? Um, stand back a second."

Assuming Arialla does step back, there will be a sudden gust of wind as Amalia extends her wings... and then blinks, vanishing in a blur of light motes. A moment later and the door swings open from within, the girl looking annoyed and chagrined. "Sorry, I keep forgetting to leave it unlocked," Amalia explains, her wings tucking back into her spine. "Here, come in- you can see what I've been working on."
she is calm in the storm
and anxious in the quiet
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

"They wore a heavy cloak, so all I know is that they were shorter than I am." Which almost ruled out Sam, who was Arialla's height, except that he did stoop ... Well, Arialla couldn't read Amalia's mind, didn't know who she hoped it wasn't. "And that they ... incapacitated me, locked up my muscles so I couldn't move, and ..."

Oops, she'd started reliving the attack despite her attempt to change the subject. With great effort, Arialla gritted her teeth and dragged herself back to the present, trying to ignore the memories still playing in the back of her mind. "Champions? I haven't heard of them."

Arialla did step back, and her eyes went wide as Amalia used her powers. The holy sight was almost, almost enough to distract her from the past, and she actually smiled a little as Amalia opened the door. Gladly, Arialla followed Amalia into the room.

coding base by Skylark
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the archangel
Had she not been so distracted by her missing keys Amalia might have paused, trying to allow Arailla more space to speak about her assault; alas, this minor inconvenience has pulled her attention away from what matters most.

But with the door open and both women within, Amalia can begin to feel calm. The studio is more study than bedroom, with a kitchen set into one side and a bed flanked by large windows on the other. It's the kitchen the Angel flocks to, featuring for Arialla to sit down at the counter as she sets about putting on a kettle and fetching options for tea.

As she works, she speaks, her brow furrowed in concern and thought. "I hadn't heard of them, either. But there was a spirit- it said that the war would come in eight seasons, and we needed to find the champion's relics before then." Amalia leans against the counter, peering into an empty mug. "Truthfully, I'm more concerned about what will happen if they fall into the hands of the Ascended than anything else. That's why I'm trying to learn everything I can."
she is calm in the storm
and anxious in the quiet
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Just as well that Amalia didn't acknowledge Arialla's distress; Arialla was here to look towards the future, not dwell on the past, and she'd just as soon focus on something else. Entering Amalia's quarters, Arialla sat where Amalia indicated, her hands on the counter in front of her. If this stirred some half-forgotten memory (sitting with Sam in a kitchen, discussing his attempt to rebel against the Voice), Arialla ignored it.

"I heard the spirit," Arialla acknowledged. She'd been at the party in Meadowreach, too -- had spotted Amalia in the crowd there, actually, and considered going over to greet her, but the spirit's proclamation had interrupted that thought. "It's part of why I came, actually. If war is coming, I want to help. I just don't know anything about these Champions."

She'd focused much more on the "eight seasons till war" part of the spirit's words than on the quest for the relics.

coding base by Skylark
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the archangel
So young. So wounded. And yet so eager. These are the things Amalia thinks as she regards Arialla, predictably blind to how those characteristics are mirrored in herself. Whatever cautions or questions that may have leapt up to her tongue - Are you certain? Do you not want to rest? It doesn't have to be your fight - are swallowed down, replaced by a serious, respectful nod as the younger woman names herself a soldier in the armies of the Old Gods.

"What is it you wanted to do for the Gods?" The question is put forth with such sincerity as to soothe the rougher edges of the wording. Amalia tilts her head to the side, her dark eyes focused on the red-haired girl. "The books I've been able to find have been useless - we need to know where to go from here. To speak to the heralds. To explore the Wilds. There's endless work to be done."
she is calm in the storm
and anxious in the quiet
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

"I'll do whatever's needed," Arialla said, and she meant it, no matter how unpleasant the task became. Once she had balked at the idea of turning to violence for the Old Gods, of actually fighting for Safrin; once she had hoped to remain behind the front lines if war came, to heal instead of hurting. A pair of fangs had drained away all that hesitation.

"Exploration is one of my strengths," she added. "With my eagle shift, I can cover a lot of ground."

As for speaking to the heralds ... Arialla remained reluctant to face Safrin again, not wanting to show the goddess her broken body and broken soul. But she would go if she needed to. After all, she'd just declared her willingness to do anything.

coding base by Skylark
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
the archangel
"There's a demigoddess named Mildew who lives in the Wilds. She might be a good place to start." Arialla's ardent enthusiasm is infectious, inspiring Amalia to nod along, her own voice growing stronger. This is a different version of the young priestess than what the Angel had met before, and after the tittering reluctance of so many others, it feels good to speak to someone who shares her conviction for their cause.

The water behind them is come to a boil; the Angel turns to fetch the kettle, bringing it back to the countertop. "If you decide to go, I can help you get out there, and pick you up when you're done." The water falls over tightly curled tea leaves, sending them blooming into aromatic inky black. "That is - if you decide to go. There's also plenty to be done here. And there's always the Order..." The distaste in her voice is obvious, bitterness staining her alto tone.
she is calm in the storm
and anxious in the quiet