here comes the sun
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: N/A - Strg: 14 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 0 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
October
a sunflower soul
with rock'n roll eyes
She and Finn had fallen into a rhythm, that while not particularly nuanced, was reassuring in its predictability. Their lives consisted of buzzing around Ever, sleeping and eating when they could, and maybe finding themselves in snippets of real conversation in passing. In all likelihood, Tobi probably thought far more about the state of she and Finn than the Spyglass did, which was both surprising as it was understandable, given that Finn was normally the over-thinker.

So when he'd suggested that they finally take the Celestine stroll that they'd missed out on before, Tobi's agreement was as instant as her excitement.

"This weather is so much nicer." Tobi says conversationally as they stroll beneath the stone arches that mark the entrance to the Celestine. Dressed in a sundress that hides the lingering baby-weight she still carries, she pushes a very curious Ever in his stroller.
curious thoughts
& a heart of surprise
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
we are all broken
"It really is."

This might be the first stroll Finn has ever actually been on - not counting the ones he goes on with Everest, because honestly at that point the Spyglass is just trying to get his son to actually go to sleep.

But here in the Celestine with their son tucked safely in his stroller and a crisp breeze tousling his curls, Finn feels... calm. Peaceful. It's a strange sensation, one that he isn't used to one bit, but he enjoys it nonetheless while it's here.

And so, smiling across at Tobi with his hands in his pockets, he leads the way into the gardens and nods for Tobi to choose which direction she'd like to go in. Dressed in a plain grey t-shirt and a pair of pants in a darker shade, Finn is a far cry from the man who so often holes himself up in his office. He even has a bit of a tan.

"Did you want to stop for the picnic first, or at the end?"
that’s how the light gets in
October Hart
Doctor

Age: 38 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
October
a sunflower soul
with rock'n roll eyes
Though Tobi shoots Finn an instantly and wolfish smile, she knows the Spyglass well enough by now not to force him to rely on her expressions alone. "First." She replies emphatically. Yes, Tobi is trying to work off the baby weight, but you know what? Life is too short not to have your picnic first. "I'm starving already." She adds with a guilt-free chuckle.

"Do you think we'll have to worry about the gourds?" Even here in the Celestine, they bounce around the pathways. "Knowing Lena, I'm sure she won't take too kindly to anything being harmed while we're here. I wonder..." Turning Ever's stroller to direct them down a path that winds deeper into the gardens, Tobi pauses before shaking her head. "I was going to say that we could eat inside one of the enclosures but it seems like the gourds are everywhere." So saying, she nods toward a snowy vista where a small herd of luxere are grazing. Around them, covered in a thin layer of ice, are a small group of vampire gourds nestled together to keep warm.

"Maybe just somewhere in the shade."
curious thoughts
& a heart of surprise
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
we are all broken
"I thought that would be your answer," Finn admits, smiling and glancing around at the Celestine and the various places that they might decide to stop for their picnic. "I think if we stay close to the main path we ought to be alright. Lena wouldn't let them trouble people as they walk." And as Tobi correctly points out, not even the enclosures are safe from the gourd infestation.

"Here, this should work just fine," Finn calls, meandering a little deeper into the gardens in the opposite direction, gesturing to a shady patch beneath a blossom tree whose leaves are just starting to turn. When Tobi comes to join him, Finn reaches beneath the stroller for their picnic, drawing out the blanket and spreading it on the ground. "I can hold Ever while you eat," he offers with a grin.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
a sunflower soul
with rock'n roll eyes
"I do quite like squash though." Tobi muses to herself. Whether she means in general, or to cromch on as a dog isn't entirely clear though. (Both, the answer is both).

As she reaches for Ever, Tobi coos adoringly at him and in turn he reaches up to grab at her lips. "Str-ng -ip" She mouths as Ever cackles and finally releases her. Sinking down onto the blanket, Tobi flashes Finn an appreciative smile as she hands their son over.

"Would you like...chicken salad, or bacon and tomato?" She asks of the sandwiches they'd brought with them. Eyeing them both with drool saliva already beginning to coat her tongue, Tobi is happy to take whatever Finn doesn't want. Across the pathway, a tennis-ball-sized gourd rolls ominously back and forth, hissing under its breath. Eyeing it, it's all Tobi can do to remind herself that the food they have brought with them will taste better than the satisfaction she'll get from chomping the gourd in her teeth.
curious thoughts
& a heart of surprise
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
"I am not so much of a fan." Finn wrinkles his nose, especially as he watches the gourd nearby roll back and forth. Luckily enough, their son is here to distract him, and the Spyglass accepts Ever with ease compared to how he was when he first arrived. "I'll take bacon and tomato," he says, though not much thought goes into the response and if Tobi wants it instead, she is more than welcome.

"And what would you like?" he asks Ever, tickling the boy's cheek, though he's not sure what kind of an answer he's expecting. He's wriggly enough that Finn guesses he'll probably want to eat worms or something, but that's kind of up to him. "Do you think that thing will keep its distance?" he asks of the gourd, nodding at it.
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
a sunflower soul
with rock'n roll eyes
Suddenly chicken sounds like the best thing she's ever considered putting in her mouth, and it's with an almost feral glee that she reaches for the sandwich that is now hers; it's half-way into her mouth before the wrapping is even off of it. "Mmmm that's good." The doctor moans decadently, wanting to shove it all in her mouth at once but also to savour the taste and eat slow. As a compromise, she takes large bites that she chews down to almost nothing before swallowing.

"If it knows what's good for it, it will." Tobi says with a fair amount of bite in her tone. Still a ball of sunshine in most areas, when it comes to her son, there's no hiding the way her hackles will raise at almost anything now that even remotely threatens Ever.

"Here," While chewing and chewing and chewing, Tobi unwraps half of Finn's sandwich for him so that he might be able to get in a few bites between Ever's squirms. "After my training session with Ronin the other week, he mentioned that we should all...go out for dinner sometime." Trying to gauge Finn's reactions to things is difficult enough on a good day, and so Tobi has learned just to bite back her concerns for propriety. "I said I wasn't sure because of Remi. Would it make you uncomfortable?"
curious thoughts
& a heart of surprise
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
Finn doesn't bother to hide the way his cheeks dimple with his smile as he watches Tobi fall upon her sandwich, the Spyglass settling Ever in his lap and offering him his fingers to cram into his mouth play with while he accepts his own lunch. "I don't think they are smart enough to know what's good for them, but perhaps they will learn by example," he suggests, not that he particularly wants to watch Tobi destroy one of the pumpkins.

Managing a few bites of the sandwich, he raises his eyebrows to hear about the dinner idea, and although a few seasons ago the mere thought would have filled him with abject terror - especially because of Remi - now, Finn chews thoughtfully and considers it. "No, I think I will be alright. But I would be concerned that Remi would be uncomfortable. I saw him in LongHeat, when Ever was still very small. He didn't seem happy with my being there."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
a sunflower soul
with rock'n roll eyes
'Oh?' Had Finn told her about that? Ceasing her chewing for a moment (that should tell you how hard she was thinking), Tobi tries to recall. The past few weeks have been an absolute blur of blue eyes and bottles. "Well...I suppose that's Ronin's problem to deal with if he invited Remi without checking first." She concludes with a shrug, as she pulls off the crust and puts it in her mouth like a long noodle.

Now, the Celestine is home to all sorts of flora and fauna, of which the vampire gourds are apart. Long ago after the punking was killed, a number of its relatives banded together to seek revenge. This went poorly of course, which is why there was a rather enormous gourd rocking slowly back in forth in one of the enclosures just up the pathway. Calling in low whistles and guttural groans, numerous gourds began to roll their way up the path toward the enclosure, seemingly looking for a way to free their (pun)kin.

"Uhm..." Watching as a trio of gourds—one green, one yellow, and one a strange purple—rolled by, Tobi looks back to Finn with a deep frown. "Is...that the sort of thing you think Lena would want to know about..?"
curious thoughts
& a heart of surprise
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
"That is what I assumed," Finn says as he chews his sandwich, though honestly, he doesn't really give the Taliesin family much of a thought from there. Where once his mind would have been preoccupied with everything to do with the encounter, especially where Remi would be and how things would pan out between them, now he's more interested in trying to remove his fingers from Ever's mouth before he can cut a new tooth on them.

The madness with the gourds draws his attention, Finn tilting his head and abandoning his sandwich crusts (no, of course he doesn't eat them given the choice). "I think she'd certainly want to keep an eye on it," he agrees, carefully setting Ever down onto the blanket where he can hopefully amuse himself with the blossoms and bright leaves overhead.

"I'll go and try to find her? If any come close, I have heard that you can stamp on them quite easily."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
a sunflower soul
with rock'n roll eyes
'Uhm.' It's the logical thing to do, but something claws at the inside of Tobi's stomach to hear that Finn is going to set off. Just hormones, she reminds herself as she nods at the Spyglass. "Yes of course. "

Beaming up at Finn before turning her attention to Ever, the first few moments pass by without much incident. A few more vampire gourds go tumbling by, and though it has Tobi's hackles raising protectively, she's able to at least the last bites of her sandwich as she fusses over Ever.

Finn probably hasn't been gone for more than a handful of minutes before the gourd situation grows more and more dire. The rolling trail becomes thick and constant, but it's only as the pumpkins begin to eye the woman, baby, and picnic, that things become problematic. Shifting—the presence of a large mostly black dog around him not something Ever is unused to—Tobi snarls as the gourds begin to steadily creep her way. Finn might have said they could be stepped on, but Tobi's instincts are hard to ignore.

Snapping her teeth, Tobi is forced to lunge forward several times to try and keep them at bay. But as their numbers grow, her attacks become more and more fierce as do her barks and yips of panic.
curious thoughts
& a heart of surprise
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
Finn doesn't succeed in finding Lena - but he does manage to grab a couple of dragoons out for a stroll, and they all come back to find quite the commotion going on. "Tobi!" the Spyglass calls, managing to boot a couple of the irksome pumpkins out of the way as he tries to carve a way to the doctor.

In the meantime, the dragoons are not nearly as gentle about it. The majority of the gathered gourds are dispatched without prejudice, especially at the sight of the stroller amongst the picnic. As they work - efficient and deadly as expected - Finn manages to make his way to the panicked canine. "It's alright - we're here."
October Hart
Doctor

Change author:
October
a sunflower soul
with rock'n roll eyes
With the sound of her own blood pounding in her ears combined with the bright snap of her teeth, Tobi hardly notices nor hears Finn and Co's arrival until their on top of her. Jumping with alarm which sets her hackles rising once again, the canine spins on one of the dragoons, lashing out toward his boot before she has a chance to restrain herself. Luckily, the high leather he wears is able to withstand her teeth easily enough, and it's only then that Finn's voice is able to properly infiltrate her scattered and paniced mind.

Shifting, her legs splayed beneath her and her hands reaching up for Finn, Tobi gasps with relief and adrenaline. "Finn," Joyfully said, Tobi nearly chokes on her own breath as she claps at his arm that he might help her stand. Still shaking, the smile forming on her lips disappears instantly as her gaze finds the checkered picnic basket on which they'd all been sitting, Ever's stroller, and the basket of food.

And nothing else.

The colour drains from her face and from her body. Unable to stand, she'll collapse into Finn or to the ground, as she screams with a panic at bright and horrific odds to all that she stands for.
curious thoughts
& a heart of surprise
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
we are all broken
Finn is smiling as he helps Tobi to her feet, looking her over to make sure she's alright even as the dragoons take care of the rest of the pumpkins clamouring around them. (One of them is giving them a wide berth, but then when a dog bites your leg you don't tend to want to get too close). And it all looks just fine and dandy, until it isn't. Tobi's smile disappears and with it, the bottom falls out of Finn's stomach.

His eyes drop to the ground to track the blanket, the stroller, the picnic, the gourd guts, the not Ever. Nowhere in sight. "Where--" He's cut off by the doctor's scream, Finn ducking to try and catch her even as he sinks to his knees with Tobi in his arms, even as the blood pounds in his ears, even as his mouth goes dry and something slick and dark claws its way up the back of his skull.

"Ever?" he calls, as though the baby might just appear. The dragoons have noticed of course, by now, and they waste little time in starting a search. "We'll find him," he says, unsure if he can even hear himself speak. "He can't have gone far. We'll find him."