Mini Event [SE] A night for stories
Spooky story ME for the SE
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3215
...look into a wolf's eyes. You'll never be the same again.
Sah sat within the guildhall, Lilly curled up at his feet. The sun had long since set but the flickering torches and cackling fire kept the building warm and lit. The conflicting flames cast twisting shadows on the floor that paired eerily with the night time silence. There were a few other people within the building. Most were keeping to themselves or having whispered conversations, the night too still for loud voices. The wind howled outside, sending occasional shivers down the backs of the occupants.

The atmosphere began to form an idea in Sah mind. Catching on, eyed her bonded excitedly, giving a small wag. She was in agreement. So Sah eyed the people around him, clearing this throat to get their attention. "It's the perfect night for ghost stories. Anyone have one that they want to share? I'll go first if anyone wants to hear one."

A mini-event to share spooky stories! Idea blatantly stolen from Lam. I'm going to run it a similar way. You have 72 hours to post your character arriving and after that we'll go through the list in order of posts. People will share their stories, there will be an opportunity for short reactions, and then we'll move on.

Participants and order of stories.
1. Sah
2. Aino
etc....

Sah
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8 in (175cm) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 2 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
AINO

She came bearing gifts. In the form of heaps upon heaps of muffins (thank you, Sah). This was the last stop, and while the hoard had diminished along the way through town courtesy of hungry urchins, hunters, smiling elders and surprised neighbors, there was still plenty to go around for everyone who attended this little session.

Aino might not be a hunter, or part of the guild, but if Sah had decided to do something then she would support it by attending. It's what good sisters did, apparently, though why her mother insisted on it now more than she ever had when the woman was little, Aino would never understand.

"Oh, you're telling stories? I might have one... but you go first," she grinned, and slumped down in a chair near Sah and Lilly after depositing the muffins on a nearby table.
For the good times that we share,
and the bad times that we'll have
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah gave his sister a warm smile, happily accepting one of the muffins.  After a few shaken heads, and the realization that half the people in the guild were nearly asleep, Sah decided to start his story. It was clear that only he and Aino were awake enough for it. "Oh well, I guess it is rather late."

Clearing his throat, Sah recalled a story he'd read a while back. "This is a short one with an open ending." He explained and began the tale.

"A person was relaxing in their home one night, reading a book by the fire. But as it grew later, thy began to hear an odd scratching sound. As if something was being moved along the wood floor. The sound was brief, but it was so out of place that they went to investigate it. "

Sah paused his voice growing lower. "There was a note that had been slid under their door. The paper was old but the ink was still wet. It said 'Get out, he's coming'. The person was confused for half a moment, until terror began to take root. Not from the words, no. The note itself. The note had come from under the closet door." He grew silent as the tale ended.

(Story adapted from a random post on Pinterest)
Sah
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8 in (175cm) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
AINO

A crawling sensation started up between Aino's shoulderblades, skittering up and down there as the implications of Sah's story sank in. A stranger in the house... in many ways it was more terrifying than any undead or ghost, because it encroached on something very vital. The security and comfort of ones living space, where a person was the most vulnerable.

"I hate it," she murmured with an intensity that suggested his story had the intended effect of creeping her out. "My turn."

Settling down better, Aino searched her memory of every spooky story she'd ever heard. Ilma was full of them - full of stories in general - but it took some time before she settled on one. Unsure of what sort of things Sah might be unsettled with.

"Did you ever notice that big old house at the end of our street?" she began, and let her gaze come to rest on her brother. Searching for signs of unease. "It is empty now, but many years ago a wealthy family lived there, that had much influence over the dealings of the Citadel. They had only one child, a daughter, who was much respected for her hunting skills.

"Well, one day misfortune struck and during a trip beyond the walls, she was injured terribly. Broke both her legs, so badly that she could never walk well again. She had to carry crutches, and hobbled along the streets with a 'thunk, thunk', so slow and pained - a ghost of her former self.

"Now, that might have been the end of it, but she had a boy she fancied at the time. Tall and strapping he was, and though he said to love her anyway, despite her crippled legs and ugly crutches, he grew gradually more distant with her. Until one day, when a group of youths decided to throw ice on the girl. They called her names, and shamed her for becoming useless and a burden... and when she looked to her beloved for comfort and aid, he turned his back on her, and said nothing."

Pausing, Aino wet her lips, letting the suspense grow.
"She locked herself into the house after that, and refused her meals. Refused to leave house or room as well, because she would not make herself a target of such contempt again. She would pace the floor endlessly, and the 'thunk, thunk' of her crutches drove everyone who heard it mad. Slowly she grew weak enough that she could no longer pace. As she laid there in her room, hatred for her twisted legs and for the crutches festered in her heart. She cursed them, so that if anyone should try to take them, or her, from the manor house, it would surely burn.

"She died there, that poor girl. Starved herself to death. Her family grieved terribly for her, and decided to give her a pyre for the funeral. They brought her out, along with the crutches... but even before they could lay her on the logs, a pillar of smoke could be seen rising from that old manor house. It had caught on fire. They had no choice but to bring her back, and her crutches too, and as soon as they did, the fire went out.

"It is said that she still lies there, inside the house. Seveal attempts have been made to bring the crutches and the girl away from the building, beacuse it is a fine house. But every time, that fire starts up again.

"And on some nights, people passing by swear that they have seen a light move in the windows. And that they can hear the 'thunk, thunk' of crutches moving within... though there is never anyone there. No one ever believes them either, because everyone who claims to have heard the sound has been quite, quite mad."

Aino quieted, and watched the young man for a reaction.
For the good times that we share,
and the bad times that we'll have
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah grimaced at the story. The cruelty that the poor girl faced, and the idea of her tortured spirit still lingering, making his stomach turn. It was a horribly sad story, but chilling nonetheless. Especially since it was on their street. Sah subconsciously glanced out the window in the house's direction.

"Is it a true story?" Sah's voice had grown a bit quiet.  "That poor girl." He shook his head, still feeling unnerved. "You're a good storyteller." The Outlander was never going to be able to look at that house the same way again. "If I see a light or hear something, I will be breaking into your house for the night. Just letting you know that now." Sah gave his sister a teasing grin, but he was only mostly joking.
Sah
Aino Jandar
Soldier

Change author:
Who am I without my armor?
Her smile was slow and satisfied with the paranoia instilled in the young man's mind. Aino merely shrugged at the question of whether the story was true. "Who can say? I've never seen anything... but then, I'm not mad either. That we know." She gave him a sly wink.

The threat of breaking into her house for protection made the woman laugh, a quiet chuckle for the benefit of the people dozing around them. "I'd say you're better equipped at handling ghosts than me, but if you think a sword and a hug will save ye, be my guest." His lightning was far more efficient, in her mind... but it was gratifying to know he thought of her as someone who could protect him.
AinO
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah grumbles at Aino's wink, not at all pleased. But he did chuckle slightly despite himself. A teasing grin flashes towards his sister. "I'm pretty sure that's what a mad person would say." Brow raised he added, "Are you sure you've never heard anything?"

Hearing Aino laugh has Sah joining in. Her confidence in his own abilities makes him preen slightly, but Sah tried not to let it go to his head. It's the offered hug however that has something warm blooming in his chest. The Outlander playfully nudged his sister's shoulder, a soft smile stretching across his face. "A hug works best."

The rest of the night was spent swapping increasingly creepy stories. As the two headed home, Sah might have given that haunted house a second look. And he might have stepped closed to Aino as they passed it. And Sah just might have stolen a quick hug before they parted ways to go to their respective homes.

-{FIN}
Sah