waxing moons
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
these nightmares all bend
silver linings are all i need
Aurelia doesn't know what the fuck to do. She's never been in this situation before. So she's feeling at least a fraction as pale as Maeve is, and she's not even within the confines of this difficult situation. Although, the subject matter beforehand has left a distinctly foul taste on her tongue, drawing the color even further from her freckled cheeks.

She barely even hears Maeve's panicked answer after the series of 'fucks' given, experiencing a flavor of her own internalized dilemma.

But as she refocuses on Maeve, the lense of her gaze refocusing on the subject matter at present hand, she sees the tears filling those jade-green eyes. It hits her, like a blow to the back from an assailant she never saw coming.

Taking a deep breath of her own, Aurelia shifts her weight to be able to support Maeve's as she reaches out both her hands to take the other woman's. Her grip is firm and steady, though she can feel her spirit trembling within her.

"You're going to take my hands," she swallows, forcing the certainty into her voice, "and we're going to get you some... some water." Water's good, right? "You're gonna take this one step at a time, Maeve. Okay? That's what you're gonna do." She exhales, chest steeping with the breath.

"Come on," this is said more gently than firmly, compassion swirling in her gaze as she tilts her head down to meet Maeve's, "you're strong. I know you are. You'll figure this out."
so please just hold onto me
these demons, they're old to me
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 27 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Panic begins to set in; that skin scrawling, finger twitching, gut twisting kind that has her struggling to breathe. She's drawn out into its tide, whisked away into a sea of something she doesn't know how to navigate. Wave after wave after wave crashes into her. Maeve doesn't even realize how she's shaking. Her whole body trembling like a leaf. Shock. That has to be it. She's going into shock, right? Aurelia looks as if she's a million miles away, a hazy blur in her vision as she looks ahead, tears swimming in jade eyes.

It isn't until the Arbiter's hands find hers, seizing them with such ferocity that Maeve is snapped back to this moment, drawing in a sharp breath. She focuses on her friend, hearing her words and trying to commit them, desperate to follow the path they lay at her feet. A nod, tongue darting out to wet dry lips, tears slipping down her cheeks as Aurelia drops her forehead against hers.

"Okay." It's all she can manage right now, moving to stand on shaky legs with Aurelia's support, straightening up even as her face remains ghostly. "There's water in the kitchen." Maeve mumbles almost absentmindedly, allowing the Arbiter to guide her towards the couch once more, sinking into the cushions there gratefully. Her stomach seems to have settled for the time being, giving her a moment of reprieve so she can actually think.
Poor little girl
still waiting for her happy ending

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
As soon as Maeve relents to the coaxing of her support, Aurelia's legs brace to stand. Knowing that Maeve is pregnant now, she feels a need to move carefully, conscious not to move too fast or harshly. It sends a subtle flush to her ridges of her cheeks, and she glances at Maeve when the water in the kitchen is mentioned. She offers a soft smile, drawing the Madame in towards her, wrapping an arm around her side, "That's the spirit," she murmurs, hoping to offer some kind of light for Maeve to cling to.

At this point, everything else they've been through is cast aside. Aurelia has been self-serving for most of their relationship, brief and fast as it was before, but things are different now. They agreed to be there for one another. A promise is a promise... and to tell the truth, she needs something like this. Something to give her drive and purpose, even if only in the moment. Without it, she's lost here - in the Halenani, in Torchline, in Caido.

So as she leaves Maeve to settle into the couch, she moves much faster toward the kitchen than she had when guiding Maeve here. The silence is tense but brief, as the sound of water filling a glass fills the room fills her ears fills her... with frantic thought.

Though she tries not to make this obvious, as she returns to hand the glass back to Maeve.

She doesn't take a seat yet, though. Instead, she sort of.. hovers, and her next coagulation of words is sort of rushed, flushed. "Is.. is there anything else you need?"

"Uh... something to eat? Can you eat?" She'd just thrown up, her stomach is likely empty. "I can cook you something."

"Or would you rather not? I just..." she laughs for a split second, nerves tearing at the seams of her demeanor, "I want to help. Tell me what I can do."
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 27 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

The Madame settles on the couch, staring ahead blankly, heart still rabbiting against her ribs as she tries to make sense of everything. She's pregnant. She's pregnant and it's Locke's. She's pregnant and it's Locke's and Locke is gone. He left her and her heart hurts and she's pregnant with his child. It just repeats in a rotating order in her brain. Over and over and over again. It isn't until Aurelia approaches, pressing a cool glass of water into her hand, hovering over her with worry in her eyes that Maeve is drawn here again.

She manages a sip. Something small that barely coats her tongue, but it washes away the acid in her mouth so she takes another, bigger this time. It soothes her raw throat, eyes flicking up to her friend, thankful to have her here. Thankful that she doesn't have to go through this alone. Someone cares. Aurelia cares. She's not alone. She won't be alone. Aurelia won't abandon her again. She promised, right? A promise was a promise.

The laugh, while nervous, makes her lips twitch into a semblance of a smile. "Food... Food would be good. Something light? I might have bread." She can't cook to save her life, but her kitchen is stocked anyway. She'd stocked it before she even moved in. When she thought Locke was going to come with her. Before she knew better to have hope.

Suddenly there is a scratching at the door of her balcony, insistent and unrelenting, warbles and trills filtering in through the glass. Worry, concern, a need to protect suddenly trickle along the bond she shares with Aidon, washing over her like a cool Longheat shower. Maeve sucks in a breath and the dragon pushes harder, orange eyes narrowing as he looks in through the glass and plumes of smoke rise from his nostrils. "Aidon.."
Poor little girl

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Aurelia is ready to completely throttle herself into the task of cooking up something not light.. or maybe it's light. What does that even mean, she absently wonders. She's no chef. She just knows how to make a decent meal with whatever's lying around. That's been skill enough for her all her life.

There's a bit of relief that comes from Maeve saying she'll eat, though. The kind of relief that pulls her shoulders down into a silent shrug. But the muscles there grow tense again when there's a sudden and very persistant rapping at the door.

Aurelia can sense none of the emotions that bleed in through Maeve's companion bond. She's completely unaware that Maeve's even gained a companion in all this time they've spent apart. So the sight of a miniature dragon at the door only drive a wire through her, suspicion and aggression lighting a flame at the ends of her fingers.

She glances at Maeve when a name is uttered through the Madame's lips. "...Huh?" It's a weird way to ask 'what's happening', as she moves towards the door to open it. Her defenses are high, but she's lowered them enough to not react right away.

The companion is given entry and Aurelia pulls the spit of her magic back within her, having not meant to release her control over it - but also not entirely opposed to the subtle warning it provides any that would dare.

"What's this?" She asks guardedly, glancing over her shoulder at Maeve. "Your... pet?"
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Oh, her companion doesn't appreciate that one fucking bit. The fire that lights on the ends of Aurelia's fingertip has him rumbling a growl, sparks of his own puffing from his nostrils, wings flaring to make himself bigger despite being fairly large already. Maeve cranes her neck to look over at her companion, shaking her head, "Aidon, pet, it's fine." She sends the reassurance down the their bond, trying her best to calm him down as he sizes up Aurelia, clearly not trusting the Hybrid as he's never seen her before. With a grumble he trots over to Maeve, hopping up onto the couch like some kind of large dog, spinning until he settles.

Aidon drops his head against her legs, still grumbling as she reaches forward, gently scratching his brow. "My bonded. His name is Aidon." Maeve explains, offering the other woman a small smile, extending her hand to Aurelia. "He's fine now. He just felt that I was scared." The Madame explains easily, knowing that the Arbiter doesn't have a companion on her own to base things off of.

"Come say hi. Promise he won't bite." And he won't. Now that he has his eyes on Maeve, he's more relaxed, put at ease to know that she's actually okay. She's feeling better too now that he's by her side, able to breathe a little easier with her bonded's support.
Poor little girl

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Her dark brows lift in subtle challenge at his little wing flare but, even though it would appease her urge, she doesn't make any further displays to threaten him. With Maeve's voice cutting through their tension, it's obvious that he's a familiar to her. A companion.

Aurelia does not understand this bond. At least, not beyond a surface level. Sure, she knows there is a connection. She can even see it, as he goes to curl up beside Maeve and they have this uncanny ability to communicate without visibly communicating. She feels a pang of jealousy at the sight of this, though she doesn't know why and that draws her jaw shut tight.

But Maeve tells her to come say hi, and she purses her lips awkwardly at first. "Er-"

"I don't think he much likes me..." she mumbles reluctantly, though her feet still move towards them anyway. Why, she doesn't know that either. Maybe it's simply because Maeve told her to.

Leaning over slightly, she gives the dragon a friendlier half-smile and offers her hand for him to sniff... or something. Is that what she's supposed to do?

"We both have a bit of fire in us, don't we?" Her tone softens, tilting her head slightly as she summons a much less threatening display. A little flame, no bigger than one that the wick of a candle might create, dances along her fingertips as she wiggles them to the movement. "That's alright, just means we're stronger together, right?" She doesn't know if he can understand her words, but perhaps the tone of her voice is enough to mend the offense she caused moments prior.

At that, she closes her fingers into her palm and the flame disappears. Glancing up at Maeve briefly, she moves away to the kitchen to begin preparing a meal. "Alright, I'll get something started for you," she announces, sighing heavily. Pots and pans clatter a bit as she figures out a plan on what to make.

Eventually she decides on a rich plate of rice and fish. It's admittedly a style of cooking she's developed from Milo, but she thinks it'll be easy on the stomach. Hopefully. She also grabs some fresh veggies to add into the mix.

"So..." she starts from where she stands, flipping the meat and glancing up, "When did you get a companion?" She's hoping to distract Maeve, just for the moment, before they return to the heavier subject.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

The hesitation is almost adorable and Maeve has to try not to giggle at the woman, eyes sparkling mischievously, "Ah, no, it's not that. He was just worried. I promise it's fine." And it is. The dragon's tail flicks lazily as he lounges on the couch, resting his head on Maeve's legs as she beckons Aurelia over. The Arbiter slowly approaches and Maeve takes her hand, smoothing her thumb across her knuckles reassuringly, but she lets go of her so that Aurelia can properly greet the dragon.

Aidon lifts his head as Aurelia leans over the back of the couch, head cocking to the side at the smile, trilling softly as he extends his neck to sniff at her fingers. Orange eyes blink at the flame that appears, bobbing his head as he warbles what sounds like a confirmation before he draws back enough to send out the tiniest puff of flame, a smoke ring following it shortly after. Maeve's smile grows even as she sips on her water, watching the interaction with a warmth in her chest, feeling the curiosity and then something like happiness at her words. "He agrees. See, I told you he would be fine." She murmurs softly, jade eyes studying her briefly, watching the way her fingers curl into her hand to douse the flames.

"Thanks, 'Relia. I appreciate you being here." And the sincerity behind her words is almost too much. Chest achingly honest, drifting between them as Aurelia heads into the kitchen, poking about to start making a meal that might be too rich, but Maeve will try to eat it anyway. If only because Aurelia made it for her.

"Uhm... About midway through Longheat? I found him just outside the Grounds with Seren. He was going to get attacked by a tumbleweed. Have you ever seen one of those?" Maeve asks, head tilting to the side curiously as her fingers return to running over Aidon's brow, scratching lightly at his scales.
Poor little girl

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
A relieved smile softens her expression at the little puff from Aidon. He's a striking creature, and though his features remind her of a much more frightening moment in her life, Aurelia's worked hard at allowing herself to experience new things; to replace those memories with something better. So, to bid him farewell, she gives him a gentle little pat-pat on the bridge of his nose.

With a wary side-eye towards Maeve, she retreats to the kitchen and sets to work. Though she does pause and glance back at Maeve with a reassuring smile, letting it reach her eyes for once - and finding that easier than she initially expected. "I.." assumed that's what our promise meant, is what she means to say in this moment. But her gaze falters and so do her words, all confidence abandoning her, and she's disappointed in herself for that. With a small breath, she says demurely, "You don't have to thank me, this is... where I want to be."

At least fish and rice don't take very long to cook, and since she's got all of her dishes cooking simultaneously, it'll be done fast. It's also not the first time she's cooked it, so she tries to focus on seasoning it well. Not too much, not too little. Though there are a few times where she furrows her brow and looks as if she's struggling. Sometimes rice goes flying. No big deal. She does stress over whether Maeve will like it, or be able to handle it on her stomach. Had she made the right choice of what to prepare?

Probably not.

Yeesh.

Anyway, Maeve's answering her question as she's testing the rice. "Perfect.." She murmurs to herself, of the consistency. Her gaze flashes back up as she chews on a mouthful of it.

"A.. tumbleweed attacked him?" She asks incredulously, "Do you mean.. a normal tumbleweed?" Her head cocks to one side, the motion almost dog-like in nature.

As she awaits the explanation, she sets up two plates. And.. after a moment's hesitation, she puts some of the leftover fish into a bowl and does her best to juggle those over to the couch. With the plates and bowl balanced precariously, she leans toward Maeve in an attempt to hand her one of the plates, "Little help?"

"This one's for... Aidon...?" She says of the bowl, "That's his name, right?"
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Aidon appreciates the attention and he rumbles softly at the pat before resuming his position by Maeve. His eyes follow her into the kitchen, curiosity trickling along the bond as he watches her work, smelling fish in the air. Thankfully the smell isn't too strong for Maeve. It's one of the few types of fish she likes. She typically favors other seafood like shrimp, scallops, and crab. This doesn't bother her that and she's grateful for it, not thinking she could handle another round of morning sickness today.

The Arbiter smiles and Maeve is struck by the way it makes her eyes light up, causing her belly to swoop and she licks her lips, waiting for her to finish her sentence. It brings a smile to Maeve's lips in turn and a faint flush rises to her cheeks. "I'm glad you're here. I- I'm glad that this is where you want to be." And she is. Had Aurelia not been here when she figured out the news for herself, Maeve thinks she's still be curled up on the bathroom floor, crying over what she was meant to do.

Instead she's curled up on the couch and Aurelia is cooking for her, listening to her talk as she mills about the kitchen, easing Maeve into a comfort she hasn't felt in days now. The question paired with the tilt of her head makes Maeve giggle, shaking her head at the woman, "No, it's sentient. They lash out at anything that touches them and trap them inside, poisoning them and slowly sucking the life out of them. It's pretty awful." Maeve explains with a shudder, recalling how they had barely made it away unscathed. "This one was as tall as me and just as wide. It was massive."

The Madame manages to finish her tale just in time to sit up and help Aurelia, taking a bowl and plate from her. "You for it. It means unseen one. I know it doesn't seem fitting, but I promise it is." Aidon slips off the couch without hesitation, sitting patiently as he waits for Maeve to set his bowl down, a smile playing on her lips at the sight of it. "Thank you. This looks wonderful." She murmurs, taking up her fork and getting a little bit of everything on it, taking a small bite with a hum. "It's really good, 'Relia."
Poor little girl

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
While Aurelia had not initially expected this to be what came of their tentative, cautious friendship, she hates to think of where Maeve might be now if she had not been here to soften the blow of all of this. Maybe it's a sign regarding her own dilemma; the timing and placement is uncanny.

She doesn't know. All she knows is that the thought of anything happening to this baby - newly-discovered as it is and probably no bigger than a grain of rice (okay it's prob bigger but Aurelia's not a fudging doctor okay) - strikes something within her. Something deep-rooted and primitive; protective and nurturing.

Well, it's a relief to know that Aidon wasn't so helpless that a normal tumbleweed had threatened his life. Though she isn't always able to look up at Maeve directly since cooking requires that sort of attention, she listens. A small grimace forms on her face in reaction to the fact that this particular, sentient bush sucks the life out of other beings. And that grimace deepens when it's described as being as big as a person. "Yikes... guess he's really lucky you were there, huh?" She says with a gentle smile, thinking a bit more about the adventures that Maeve has apparently gone out on. There's a pang of something deep in her chest. A feeling of being left out, a feeling of missing out.

But it's brief, and makes no appearance in her expression.

As Maeve takes the plate and bowl for her and her companion, Aurelia settles into the couch beside her to begin eating. "Unseen one? You gotta explain that. What, can he turn invisible or something?" She's a bit hesitant at first, almost... poking at her food with how much she's watching Maeve eat. Not like a hawk, but she glances up at her quite a lot, trying to see if she's alright with it, to see if it makes her sick, or if it's not to her liking.

The fact that it is after all draws a relieved sigh from Aurelia's lips and she smiles with the comfort that brings, "I'm glad you like it."

Once they've finished eating and the conversation about giant tumbleweeds and Aidon's name dies down... Aurelia straightens up and looks more directly at Maeve with a serious air about her now. "Maeve?" There's a tightness in her voice, a tension in her chest, and her tone comes out a bit more tense than the contents of what she's actually saying, "I just want you to know, I'm here for you no matter what happens, whatever you decide to do but, if you're worried that you're going to raise this baby alone, you're wrong, okay?"

Her brows lift with earnest and she reaches out to place her hand over Maeve's. "I'll be here, if you want me to. If you want, I'll be here every step of the way. Whatever that looks like. I'm not gonna leave you alone again." Whatever that looks like.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

This particular turn of events is unexpected. When Aurelia showed up at the Halenani to discuss the night of the fire, Maeve never thought they would end up here, so easily pulled back into each other’s orbit. While surprising, the Madame is thankful for it. A situation that should have been terrifying felt manageable and that was all thanks to Aurelia.

Their conversation shifts to that of Aidon and tumbleweeds, both of them grimacing at the idea of life sucking tumbleweeds, but what Maeve doesn’t see is the flash of hurt that pangs in her chest. ”He was very small then. About the size of a kitten. I’m glad I was there.” Not only did she gain a true companion, but also was able to help Seren complete her quest. Maeve has done a lot in the time she and Aurelia were apart, but they’ve started something new together and this time they might get things right. This time they might just make it.

A bright laugh bubbles up in her chest, making her nose wrinkle as she shakes her head, ”No, he can’t do anything like that.” Maeve huffs between peals of laughter, a smile creeping onto her features as she gathers up another little bite of rice. ”Well, I had this book that one of my clients gave me. It was some book from another world, but it had all of these Mythos in it. Tales of gods and legends of their own kind of demigods. He’s named after one of them. He falls in love with a goddess named Persephone. It just seemed fitting.” Aidon was, in her mind, what that god might look like with the influence of his lover. Touched by spring.

Maeve doesn’t miss the glances Aurelia keeps tossing her way, waiting to see if she takes each bite she gathers on her fork. A warmth spreads through her to realize how much the woman cares, concerned as she is about her eating and even quick to defend her against what she believed to be a threat, unwilling to let anything happen to her. It’s always been there. Maeve knows as much. It was there when they first met too. Aurelia implored Maeve to tell her if anyone gave her trouble, stressing that she would handle it if someone did. How funny to think they’re back to that all over again.

She’s just set her plate down when Aurelia speaks up, grabbing her attention and causing a dark brow to raise, head tilting to the side curiously. ”Aurelia.” Maeve murmurs in response to her own name, a small smile curling on her lips, but it falters at the sudden ferocity in which she speaks. Jade eyes widen and lips part in surprise, but it only lasts for a breath as tears suddenly prick her eyes, a feeling she can’t quite name stirring in her belly. She lets the Arbiter take her hand just as the tears slip down her cheeks, hot and fast, leaving tracks of salt in their path.

I’m not gonna leave you alone again. It’s a vow. She can see it in her moss green eyes, hear it in her voice, and feel it in the way she holds onto her. Maeve moves forward suddenly, wrapping her arms around Aurelia tightly, burying her face in her shoulder. ”I want you to. I want you.” She breathes through a shudder, clinging to her tightly as she begins to tremble, a quiet sob caught in her throat.

They don't untangle from each other for some time and even as they day goes on, Aurelia doesn't leave her side, going so far as to wrap herself around her that night and soon she's sound asleep in her bed.

~FIN <3~
Poor little girl