branching out
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia

Aurelia steps her way through the city streets, adorning clothes that are thin enough to keep the sweat from her back in spite of the way night creeps in. She finds a new sort of comfort in the company of the stars now, now that as she looks up, she knows that Safrin is watching over them. Something warm and bright fizzles within her gut, giving her the confidence it takes to stride towards the back door of the Lunarium Apothecary.

She makes no notion of lifting her head high or appearing bigger than anyone else, though. In fact, if it were cooler tonight, she might be hooded in one of her trademark cloaks. A balled up fist reaches up to knock at the door, here right on time, as promised in her letter.

When the door is opened, she blinks up at the familiar woman that stands before her and offers a small smile. "Ray," she greets with a light tone, tilting her head a bit as her brows press together, "May I come in?"

In reality, she's not certain of whether Ray will be inclined to accept what she's about to offer, but she knows that she is the right choice regardless. She's shown herself to be a supportive friend, as well as a level-headed individual with a great deal of knowledge pertaining to herbs.. and perhaps other things as well. Even if she does not particularly follow Safrin, Aurelia knows that the other woman has a respect for the goddess and follows the Old Gods in general. All of this is enough. Torchline needs its allies, and it needs them close.
What is clear is what is gold
You're only human after all
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
Ray hears the knock at her door that she's been expecting. Standing up, the Attuned opens the door, greeting her friend with a smile. "Hey Aurelia, come on in." She gestures for the other woman to follow her up the stairs to her apartment. "I have a feeling this conversation is probably best to have in private. Let's talk in my living room upstairs"

The letter had been pretty clear as to the purpose of this meeting. Ray had been shocked and flattered at the implications. Aurelia wanted her on council. It was a huge honor, and a massive show of trust. The herbalist was doubly surprised given that the other woman had been appointed to her position by Safrin. Aurelia knew that Ray followed Rae, and not the herald. She was firmly on the Old Gods side, yes, but she would have thought that a government led by Safrin's appointed queens would only want Safrin's most loyal.

When they got to the living room, a spacious and cozy space filled with leather couches and plush green pillows. Ray went into her kitchen and retrieved tea and cookies. Placing them on the table, she sat down on the couch, gesturing for Aurelia to do the same.
They have not
forgotten this
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia

The door opens, light pouring out from within, illuminating her face and shadowing Ray's. With a smile, Ray invites her in and tells her to follow her. A relieved sigh soothes out of Aurelia's lungs as she follows the herbalist up the stairs. She had not realized she was holding her breath, but it is nice to see that Ray is at least perceptive, and seems glad to see her. "I'm sorry for such short notice on my part." Though, judging from Ray's relaxed demeanor, it doesn't seem to bother her.

She's a bit surprised by how spacious and homey it feels upstairs. She had expected more of a loft situation, but this is nice as well. The tea is regarded with a pleasant smile, and while she wants to try one of the cookies, she instead folds her hands into her lap once she takes a seat.

"Well, you know why I'm here, so there is not much need for me to beat around the bush, is there?" A humorous look works its way into her gaze for a moment, before it's replaced by something more earnest.

She tilts her head down a bit, regarding Ray carefully. "First.. is there anything you want to ask me, Ray? I know this is an adjustment for all of us. But I hope that I can put any of your worries to rest," she smiles gently again, knowing that with some people or with some matters that would be a difficult thing to do. Still, she is prepared for that.
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
"You sent a letter, that's enough notice." Ray chuckled, relaxing in her seat. Aurelia's concern for her brings a gentle smile to the herbalist's face. There were a few thing she'd been wondering, a few concerns as well.

She took a sip of her drink before jumping into it. "There is one major thing. Torchline has been declared for the Old Gods, but specifically for Safrin, right? At least that's the implication. I follow the Old Gods and I respect her, but.. you know I follow Rae more then the others. Are you ok wit... is Safrin ok with someone not sworn to her having a position of power here?" Ray asked curiously, a hint of anxiety present in the crease of her brow.

Ray wolfed down a cookie to ground herself. "And if it is the case that my beliefs are acceptable, what position would I have? What responsibilities?"
They have not
forgotten this
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

Aurelia takes a deeper, settling breath as she listens to Ray's first and foremost concern. It's a valid one, one that she takes a few moments to think about how to answer.

"Torchline is Safrin's, yes," she clarifies slowly. Whether Ray interprets that as a possession of Safrin's, or that it's loyalties are to Safrin specifically, well, both would probably be correct. "This has been her city since before Maeve and I's leadership, and we're more than willing to continue that trend. Safrin only wants the best for what is hers, after all." She offers a reassuring smile, her own words forming a warm swell in her chest.

More seriously, her back straightens and she pushes a few stray locks of hair back from her cheeks. "She made no stipulations on who could or could not be apart of our council," she adds carefully, "she already suggested another follower of hers to us, one that Maeve is going to speak with as well. His name is Harper, I don't know if you know him yet?"

"I don't know about you, but that is as many followers of Safrin that I know of here in Torchline. At least, that we would consider to be apart of our council..." after all, it's not only loyalty that makes a person a good candidate for a position in government.

"And, anyhow, you follow the Old Gods. You said so yourself, didn't you? Safrin is one of them, and you've wanted to go to her before. Perhaps you should try again, to at least meet her for yourself. You mightfind that her generosity knows no bounds," She adds the last part a bit more playfully, a knowing smile turning up one side of her lips. Meeting Safrin might also give Ray more of an understanding. But then she shrugs nonchalantly and says, "Either way, I don't see the harm in different perspectives. I want for all voices to be heard, even those that are different."

She breathes out a quiet huff of air through her nose as her lips draw gently shut, allowing Ray ample time to absorb these statements. Her gaze is a bit expectant, wondering what Ray's thoughts on this issue are now, with all of that said.

"My understanding is that you want to protect people from what's coming. I do, too. But I'm a fighter, and you are a healer... I think that, together, we would be that much better at achieving that goal," she reaches out to grab a cookie between her fingers, "for now, should you accept, you would have a councilwoman position. Those responsibilities would entail meeting with us regularly to discuss important matters. In short, you would be an advisor. You would speak and act on behalf of Torchline, and.. you would be trusted with a great deal of information..." she gives Ray a look, a sharp look. She's heard of what goes on in the shop after dark. "Of course, we may also ask that you use your skills and abilities on Torchline's behalf. I believe that you'd be a great asset to us and, in time, you could certainly become more than an advisor."

At this, she takes a bite of the cookie with an audible snap.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray nodded, reassured by Aurelia's words. "That makes sense. And I've met Harper, and although I don't know him well, he seems like a good person." As for her beliefs, it soothes something in her to know that she won't have swear loyalty or something. From what she's heard, Safrin is generous and protective, but Ray's ties are to Rae more so then the others. "I might try to pray to her again. I'll think about it at least." The Attuned tells her friend genuinely. Overall, Aurelia has reassured Ray about the situation in regards to Safrin.

The herbalist's face grows serious as she listens to her potential responsibilities. She agrees that Aurelia and her would make a good team, one that would benefit Torchline. But the sharp comment from her supposed friend has an offended and hurt look coming to the Attuned's face.

Ray's voice is severe, a bit betrayed, as she replies. "I might have a side-gig as an information broker Aurelia, but I do not betray people. Especially not my friends or people who I care for, or whom I'm trying to protect. And any secrets regarding Torchline's future and wellbeing will never get out. At least, not through me or my network. I'd appreciate it if you didn't insinuate otherwise."
They have not
forgotten this
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

As far as Aurelia is concerned, she has a duty to Safrin to spread the gospel - as it were. But Ray's ties, so long as they did not directly conflict with the interests and wellbeing of Torchline, were not of her concern. Nor Maeve's. No, and it was not Ray's affiliation with the old gods that had earned interest in her involvement with the council - but her compassion and her skill as an herbalist. That she also had a knack for obtaining information was also well and good, especially in a place like Torchline.

So when Ray takes Aurelia's meaning the entirely wrong way, the tone of her voice becoming severe, Aurelia straightens and her eyes open wider. "I did not mean to imply that we don't trust you, Ray," she says gently, "because that is not true. If we- if I didn't trust you, we wouldn't be offering you this position at all. No.. it's just.. that, if things get..." she sighs heavily, because this had not been a subject she wanted to broach so soon with the other woman.

But then, she has enough respect to give in and rip the bandaid off. As painlessly as possible. "You've heard about the war. We all have. It's important... that everyone on our council be willing to put their skills to use for the sake of Torchline, for Haulani, and for us - essentially. After all, in Torchline, lines blur and loyalties shift very quickly. I'm telling you these things because not just anyone would be willing to do all of this but, we might need to use your skills as a healer as well as your talent of gaining information someday."
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray relaxes as Aurelia spoke, something in her settling with relief. The  herbalist smiled sheepishly. "I completely misunderstood you there. Sorry." Composing herself, she gives her friend and Queen a determined grin. "I understand. And I'll use my network as needed to help keep Torchline safe."

Taking a sip of her drink Ray sit sup straighter. "If you'll have me, I'll happily accept the position. Being part of your council would be an honor." It was truly a surprise, a welcome one at that. And if Aurelia allowed it, Ray would give her all to being the best councilwoman she could be. Torchline was her home, and in the coming war, being in a position of power that better allowed her to protect it was a gift.
They have not
forgotten this
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

The sheepish smile Ray gives her is enough of an apology as is, and so Aurelia waves the actual apology off with a casual wave of one hand. "I'm just glad we can agree that we'll both use our skills to keep the people here safe," she smiles gently, though earnestly, because truly that has been her priority for quite some time, "I may not be a Natural, but I still want to protect Torchline. It's my home now, regardless of the fact that it wasn't always."

At Ray's acceptance, Aurelia beams proudly at the herbalist, "I'm the one who came here to offer it to you, so of course I'll have you. You were the first person I thought of."

Not because Ray was her closest friend, or because Ray had been through it all with her. No. But because she thinks the woman could be a great candidate, and she is more than willing to give that thought a chance. "You can start immediately. Once the Courthouse is finished, you can have your own office there - you can use it to meet clients or speak in a private setting about important affairs. If you wish. Or you can use it as more of a study. That's entirely up to you, I doubt you will misuse the space. It's also there that we'll hold council meetings, when the need arises. I'll let you get some rest, though. There are big things ahead of us."

At this, Aurelia dismisses herself quietly and bids Ray goodnight before making her leave.

fin!!