It’s All Happening
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
- NATE -
there's a great unknown from you to me
& when your prayer's unheard and you don't believe
It’s been some time since Nate come to a shrine solely to pray, solely to seek guidance and answers, but here he is. Too much to be contained until his next task is to be finished.

The Voice has said before that she has no need for gifts, but Nate doesn’t come empty handed. It just feels wrong. In his hand there’s a small jar, filled with the ashes of three separate buildings that have burned to the ground, three pieces of his past he’s stepping past.

Shaking the jar, Nate steps close to the shrine itself, resting his free hand on the broken statue before hopping up to sit on it. “Voice. I need... I need to talk. Clarify some things.” He sighs, looking down into the jar. “About the war, obviously.
so put your faith in the devil and the deep blue sea
put your trust in the light that you cannot see

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
the Voice
"Then speak, my bright one." The Voice appears without fanfare, flickering to life at the foot of the statue to look up at Nate as he seats himself upon it.

She does not usually act as an outlet for her children just to talk, but of the Ascended, there are those she has selected for a special purpose, and Nate happens to be one of them. And so while her static eyes are as cool and practical as ever, she does give him the space to speak.

"What would you like clarifying? War is coming - eight seasons, we are told. How kind, to give a warning." A warning from whom, precisely, is something else entirely.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
- NATE -
Eight seasons.” Nate repeats, lips twisting until his face has all the right bends of a smile, but none of the ease. Two years. It puts things in perspective, in a way. “I’d almost rather not knowing.” But Hes not here to talk about how things could be, not here too was perfect about the crushing thumb of impending trauma.

There’s no room for mincing words. Luckily this is a thought that had lived unspoken in his mind for seasons now, always shouted down by other, more pressing concerns. “ What does.... winning the war look like for us?” He is plenty aware of what losing entails, but he didn’t even know what to hope for. “Are we destroying the Heralds? The Old Gods? And if we do then what... what about their followers?

He doesn’t need it, at this point he’d do nearly anything for the Voice, the Family, but for all his body has been improved, his mind is still only human. He cannot rage against the fading light if he can’t see when the onslaught will end.

Change author:
the Voice
"Is that so?" The Voice tilts her head up at Nate. "I prefer knowing. Now we are aware of exactly the amount of time we have to prepare." But her bright one is looking to the future, it seems, and the goddess rises to her feet to turn and regard him properly.

"I am nothing if not practical," she says airily. "Should we succeed in this war, I would see the Old Gods and the Heralds given the same treatment I was once subjected to." Her static eyes glitter at the very thought. "As for their followers? Unlike their opinions of the Ascended, I wish them no harm. Of course, they will either need to accept the new way of things... or they will not." And what happens then is very much unknown.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
It’s not much.” Nate murmurs. It’s not thoughts of preparation that dance in his head, but thoughts of how little time he has left in the relative peace of his family. How much time before he has to steel himself against loss.

Practical she says, while describing the least practical thing Nate’s ever heard. “You mean... you’re just going to trap them?” He tries to keep his tone delicate, to not let his confusion, his disbelief leak into it, but he is a cracked pitcher; everything seeps out of him eventually. “You escaped after three hundred years. Won’t six of them figure it out in what... fifty?

Licking his lips, Nate tries to word his next thought delicately, tries to make it sound like the curiosity it is, instead of a provocation. “Why not just... get rid of them?” This sont what he’d came here for, not to start, but it’s a line of questioning he can’t help.

Change author:
the Voice
"It could have been tomorrow," the Voice reminds him gently, as if to draw him out of his darkness. They might have less than twenty-four hours, opposed to eight seasons. But Nate continues on, and though the raise of the goddess's eyebrows is soft, subtle, there is no doubt as to the gentle threat in her stature.

"It took six of them to imprison one of me," she says. "What are we, if we don't learn from their mistakes?" But Nate goes further and the Voice's gaze grows sharp, (condescending?) interested.

"Indeed. Why don't we just... get rid of them?" she wonders. "What a frightfully easy thing to do, my bright one. I hadn't ever considered it before. Do tell - how would you go about it?"
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
It could have been tomorrow. It could still be tomorrow, if one person takes one thing the wrong way, if their attempts to prepare toe the line of what’s been decided as acceptable for the ascended. But he sticks his foot in his mouth, and for the first time Nate feels like he has to be careful. “I didn’t know it took all six to imprison you.” He offers quickly, all but baring his throat in his haste to avoid whatever threat lurked behind the gentle face of his Goddess.

I wasn’t trying to, I just mean... after everything they’ve done...” Nate doesn’t backpedal so much as he sidesteps, dragging all of his own personal hate and anger to a dark corner of his mind where it can’t touch his voice anymore. “But... if there’s no way to kill them, then...” Because if there was, the Voice would know, wouldn’t she? This was a question of means, not morals.

Nate let’s put a breath he’d been holding for what might be days, and shrugs. His face feels hot, even if he doesn’t flush, his tongue dipping out in an automatic attempt to wipe away his stupid words away, and to soften the soften his next ones. “I just... fuck, I don’t know. I want to know we’ll be safe at the end of this. That the family will be safe, that my family will be safe.” And he doesn’t know that. He can’t. A shaking hand pushes dark curls back out of his face, Nate’s eyes returning to the Voice.

He shouldn’t have come. He might as well make this useful. “Is there... is there anything more I can do? Spirits or... something who would help us, or where to look for those uh... those relics?

Change author:
the Voice
The Voice says nothing to his floundering and backpedalling sidestepping, which should be enough of an answer in and of itself. She merely stands before the shrine where Nate sits, as if he is the god and she is the mortal, though of course they both know better than that. "There is no way to know that, Nate," she explains softly. "Or rather, the only way to reduce the chances of it happening are to ensure it yourself." To become strong. To become the protecting force that prevents harm.

And what more can he do? The Voice softens here somewhat, flickering with static. "There is precious little I can give that you do not already know. Or if not you, then your brothers and your sisters. I suggest you speak with them before you petition me." Bastien, Samuel. Holes for peeping. A search in the ruins of the Grounds.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
You're right, you’re... I know. I know!” Nate sighs again, his hands slipping to press against his face like he’s trying to hide away. “I just... I wish there was more I could do. I can’t...” He huffs and grits his teeth, swallowing down the lump of emotion in his throat and fixing a grin in its place. “I don’t uh... don’t suppose there’s any shortcuts you could point out to make me a little more dangerous fast, are there?

The corners of Nate’s grin soften along with the Voice, his head tipping to the side sheepishly. “I guess I thought I’d get a head start by comin’ to the source.” A mistake, he realizes now. “I’ll make nice with my siblings then.” Figure out who knows what, and go from there. Make up for this misstep of a prayer.

Change author:
the Voice
Nate breaks and the Voice seems to shimmer with static, the soft light shrouding her bright one. "You are already working quite hard enough," she reminds him, reaching out a hand that she might help him down from the altar and the statue. "It sounds as though you could use a helping hand, however many you currently seem to possess." With a wry smile, the goddess steps back to consider him.

"Very well," she says. "Let us see what we may provide you, that you can navigate these turbulent times with less trouble."

Nate has received a quest from the Voice!

He must:

- Collect stones from the following areas (1 thread each): the Falling, the Spire, the Crust
- Complete a thread killing and collecting meat from an animal
- Complete a thread arranging the stones and the meat at the entrance to the Labyrinth
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Automatically, Nate wants to argue, especially in the face of his goddess. There were still empty hours in his days, hours that were made to be filled with electric sparks of electricity, if only to keep away the things that lurk in the dark. The offered hand is met with a momentary pinch of his brows, and then his own hand reaching out to accept it, Nate drawing his shoulders in as if that will somehow keep him from towering over the Voice.

He's quiet, respectful, curious as his newest quest is laid out, his head cocking to the side as he tries to figure out what sort of thing stone and meat could be turned into. But he doesn't question it, simply murmurs a soft "I'll get it done." and basks in her light for as long as she'll let him.

And when she decides to cut him off, he'll get to work, enough of him soothed and comforted both by getting something off his chest. Even if he's once again managed to utterly avoid the twisted lines of his family and the Family. It's a worry for another day once again.

Fin~