bramblepaths
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Harper

The Halenani is very different from the building he last new. The changes are neither good nor bad, merely architecture, but Harper is glad to see it standing once more. It feels strange to walk through the entryway now without a position to return to. The workers greet him with half-hugs, kisses upon the cheek, light shoves against his shoulders as they pass him around in joyous reunion. Harper laughs and hugs his way through it, pink-cheeked and flustered, but begs off eventually. They let him go once they get their fill, heedless of his claims that Maeve is waiting for him.

He arrives in the sitting room with rosy cheeks and tousled curls, fondness warring with something caught between shyness and embarrassment. Sitting more gracefully than a man as fit as he is should be capable of, Harper braces his forearms on his knees, fingers interlocking loosely as he gives Maeve a smile. “The Halenani looks great. So do you! How does it feel to be a ruler now?” Business this might be, Harper isn’t the type to get right down to it and forsake friendship and manners alike.
I am water - soft enough to offer life
tough enough to drown it away
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
I get them all worked up and down on their knees, you see
Maeve knows as soon as he arrives. She hears the girls gushing and fawning over Harper when he walks through the door, unable to help the smile that curls on her lips, only growing when he pushes through the door. "Thank you, love. You don't look half bad yourself." The Nightshade teases, tossing him a wink. Maeve pours herself a fresh cup of tea and one for Harper as well, passing it to him as he settles across from her, "Truthfully? It's so weird." She laughs softly, wrinkling her nose as she adds a bit of cream sugar to her tea, stirring the hot liquid carefully.

"But I think it's going well thus far. It came as a surprise, but if Safrin thinks that I'm fitting... Well, I can't argue with her, can I?" She could, but they both knew she wouldn't. It was an honor to be chosen by their goddess for this role and she was going to try her best to make her proud. "How are you though?"
They take my fingers in their mouths like it's poetry
Maeve
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Harper

The existing warmth in his cheeks only darkens at her compliment, but he’s otherwise as unfazed as ever - far too accustomed to the teasing and flirtations of the workers to succumb to a small pet name. Unclasping his hands Harper takes the teacup gratefully. Though he’s not much of a tea drinker, Caido has forced it into him with the lack of real coffee beans in the area.

Eyes softening, Harper smiles fondly from across the table. “If she sees it in you, you should work to see it in yourself. Avoid the arguing entirely, even the metaphorical sort.” Harper was still working on that bit himself. He was neither arrogant nor self-conscious, but at times it was hard to believe Safrin was right in choosing him to do anything at all given the blood on his hands. It contradicted her nature as Vi’s herald, and yet she never seemed to care. Because Harper doubted she didn’t know.

“I’m doing well,” he says smoothly. It’s an easy lie because it’s half-truth. He has never been happier and more terrified at the same time. “Safrin has given me so much lately. Entrusted me with tasks, Attuned me, given me my weapon…her approval is a weight, but a good one.” Eyes close briefly as if envisioning her esteem as a weighted blanket around his shoulders before blinking back open, smiling crookedly. “I’m sure you get the feeling.”
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
It’s hard to miss the way his cheeks darken with a soft flush that’s close to reaching the tips of his ears now and Maeve refrains from teasing him further even if she took a sense of delight in doing so. It had always been fun to mess with Harper while he’d been working here. She and the other girls did so often and after all this time it still hadn’t lost its appeal.

His words bolster her and she smiles back, jade eyes meeting his gaze as she lifts her chin a touch higher. The Madame didn’t lack confidence, but she never saw herself in such a major role before. Her world has just grown exponentially and it’s an adjustment that she’s yet to completely wrap her head around. ”Since when did you get so smart?” Maeve teases, taking his words to heart despite her jest, bringing her cup up to her lips to slowly sip at her tea.

”I do. I don’t think anyone has seen me the way she does. It’s humbling and gratifying all at the same time.” She sighs, a faint flush rising to her own cheeks as she recalls their last meeting, how proud the goddess had seemed. The kiss she left them both with. The instructions and suggestions for what to do next. ”She’s proud of your work, Harper. She told me as much when she appointed me.” Maeve informs him with a smile, reaching forward to take his free hand, giving his fingers an affectionate squeeze. ”So proud in fact that she suggested you to be on our council. Would that be of interest to you?”
Maeve
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper

"People see in me what they want to," he assures with a smile that plays at something darker, sadder. "But I make a pretty good wise man, even if I don't have the beard." Winking, his hand comes up to rake blunt nails against his cheeks which never seem to grow anything past an evening shadow of stubble. It helps take the weight off the words, and he scolds himself internally for the slip-up. His time with Maea has left him...different. Incapable of turning fully away from those shadows inside.

Though she'd alluded to such an idea in her letter, Harper still blinks quickly, a little stunned by the offer. Maeve knew him as a worker, yes, and he had spent time with Aurelia as well, but he wouldn't have expected either of them to elevate him to...well, anything. Not without Safrin's input, clearly. It is both flattering and humbling, just as she'd said herself. And it reminds him of his conversation with Gideon, the man offering ideas of governance and teachings that had rooted in Harper's mind.

His fingers curl around her own as they find his, holding gentle but firm, the plentiful scars like braille for her to read. "I'd be honored, truly. But in what way would you have me?" Had Safrin mentioned anything of the sort when giving them his name? "I have many, many years of training soldiers, but I know medicine and first aid. Diplomacy, social sciences..." trailing off, he gives a crooked smile, uncomfortable with lauding his accomplishments and skills.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
"That they do. To some you'll never be more than what they see on the surface." Maeve drops her chin for but a moment, a knowing look in her eyes that speaks to years of experience with this one, but it passes just as quickly as it comes. She releases his hand after swiping a tender thumb across his knuckles, tracing over familiar scars, a faint smile on her lips. "Well, you'll start at a base level. While I am confident in your abilities and trust Safrin's judgement implicitly, we want to make sure that whatever title you're given is fitting."

She begins, shifting in her chair to a more comfortable position, relieving a bit of pressure on her back. Her brows knit together, a slight wrinkle forming between them before she finally finds something better. "You'll have a chance to move up over time depending on which direction you want to pursue based on what Torchline needs most." Maeve explains, taking up her tea cup and drawing another sip from it, humming as the warm liquid helps her relax.
Maeve
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper

The side of his mouth twitches into some array of a sardonic smirk, more of a grimace. There's no need to reply - he'd worked at her side for years, he knows exactly what she's talking about, and the two can empathize with one another for a silent moment. The sweep of her delicate thumb over his skin relaxes him slightly, familiar in so many ways, though he only withdraws it as far as the rim of his cup as he takes another sip, digesting what she has to say.

"I understand, but you've yet to tell me exactly what you'd have me do, even at a base level," he points out kindly. Idly licking his lips to chase lingering drops of tea, Harper sets the cup back in its saucer and reclines into his own seat. Eyes briefly - giddily - dropping to her belly before yanking back up. "We could find a direction for me together based on my performance yes, but you know me Maeve, I don't take sitting still well." Boyish grin alights over his face anew, eyes crinkling. "So if I say yes, even knowing what basic errands you'd have me do would be a comfort." To feel like more than a placeholder, running around with a name and no real worth.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
"Sorry, I'm still getting used to this." Maeve laughs softly, a faint flush rising on her cheeks as he kindly points out that she hasn't actually told him what he would be doing. The Nightshade doesn't miss the way his eyes drop to her rather pronounced bump and she has plenty of intention to discuss that, but first... "Truthfully, Harper, I want you out in the streets. Aurelia isn't technically the Arbiter anymore and I need someone who can get a feel of the people. You're good at that. You always have been."

How many times had he picked up on a bad costumer before they even had a chance to do something? How many girls had he swooped in to comfort before they knew that they actually needed the comfort? Too many to count. He was good at it. Amazing at it. Maeve knew that he'd be able to get a read on the citizens of Torchline easily and keep them informed of any unrest that was building.

"That could lead to a position as Arbiter, building a team to keep the peace, or any number of things. I know we aren't focusing on defensive things just yet, but I'm sure we will in the future and we need someone who can tell us from a ground level what our people need. We can't always be out there." Maeve finally finishes, arching a brow as she watches his face, wondering just how that might sit with him. He would do better with an active job. Harper wasn't one to sit on his hands and Maeve felt that this would be the best fit.
Maeve
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper

Harper grins and waves his fingers around the cup in lieu of waving a hand, banishing her apology. "You'll learn quickly, I'm sure of it." She always had. Adaptable and flexible in more ways than one (in more ways than Harper, as a gentleman, would ever seek to know), Harper would have been proud to see her take the crown even if Safrin hadn't been involved at all. It's ironic then that her own faith and compliment back to him has his cheeks suffusing with color, bashful and proud all at once.

He listens keenly, thumbs tapping out a thoughtful rhythm on the porcelain in his hands. Giving each word the due weight and regard it deserves. "I think I'd really like that," he agrees after thinking it over. "You're right, it's what I enjoy doing, and while the Arbiter position is necessary, I think gaining their trust and getting everyone on the same page is more important." Especially in the lead up to war, and with the new change and overhaul in leaders and council. Even if they have the support of the people, there would inherently be wariness, uncertainty. Harper could maybe help with that. "I'd be happy to make seasonal reports as well, to keep you updated on any major happenings, general feelings, that sort of thing. Would that be helpful?" Maeve had spoken of both him and others climbing a ladder so to speak, so perhaps it would be useful to have a measurable way of proving his effectiveness.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve positively beams in return, eyes lighting up as she reaches for him again, excitement palpable, "Exactly! I think you'd do a wonderful job at it, Harper. Really." She reiterates, giving his free hand a squeeze before she's drawing back, trying to school herself into something more formal. Not that it mattered. Harper has seen her in various states of being. There isn't the need for such formalities, but she was trying to get into the habit of it. Even with those that she knew. At least when it came to business.

"I think that would be very helpful. It would give us something tangible to address and work off of if nothing else." Maeve says with a decisive nod. It wouldn't be that much different from the system she had in place here and that had been successful at this scale thus far. There had been a lot of change recently. Not just within Torchline, but many of the surrounding regions. To think that the people would be completely at ease was naïve. "If you have any other ideas or suggestions as well, I'd love to hear them."
Maeve
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper

The flush deepens at her insistence, but his hand is firm and strong as it squeezes her own in response. For all his inability to be complimented or flirted with, Harper's dependability never suffers because of it. "Your faith means the world to me Maeve," he assures, tone softer and more private in the moment they share before she attempts to reach for formality. Harper is happy to play along, though he's careful to not come across as mimicking or condescending as they both lean back into their chairs.

"I'll need some time to consider any suggestions, but I can return to you with them written and expanded upon that way." The man is more than capable of making snap decisions (sort of a requirement in his previous line of work) but building a land up into the best it can be requires more time. Though his gaze does venture back to her belly almost helplessly, and he shyly puts his cup down and scoots to the edge of his seat. "I'm sure you get this way too much, but...can I?" One scarred hand reaches out tentatively, heart squeezing in his chest and expression heartbreakingly soft and hopeful.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Her attempt at formality is only that. An attempt. A poor one if she's being honest. Maeve tries, though. Just for the sake of trying. It falters at his soft words and she smiles, holding onto him for a moment longer before she's drawing back again, placing her hands in her lap. "I have more than enough reason to have it. You've had my back for many years. I can trust you to have it now too." She murmurs, a gentleness to her gaze that many don't really see, but it's there for him.

"That sounds good. There isn't a major rush. We're still transitioning in, but anything you bring we'll be happy to go over." Maeve reassures, smoothing a hand over the swell of her belly as she shifts in her chair, trying to find a new position that was comfortable. She winces only for a moment at the nice kick her little one lands to her ribs, huffing out a small breath as her eyes flick back up to Harper, watching how eagerly he leans forward. A warmth spreads through her chest at that and she's struck with how few people have seemed truly excited for her baby. There have been soft congratulations and questions of concern, but nothing like the unbridled joy that is lighting up his face right now.

Maeve nods, "I get it way less than you might think." She confesses, reaching for his extended hand and placing it over the spot she just felt a kick moments ago, grinning when there is another shortly after. "There they are... They're starting to kick a lot more now. Very wiggly."
Maeve
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper

"I hope you can trust in having it for a long time yet." In leading, in war, in life. She would not lose him any time soon, not if he could help it. Devotion and loyalty come naturally to Harper. Maeve has more than earned it, long before she became his superior. Though they are both willing to make the proper gestures for formality, he suspects it will always fall a little short. They have simply known each other too long, too closely, for it to settle comfortably around them the way that it should.

It's only all the more apparent when talk of governing and councils falls to the wayside in favor of something far more appealing - at least to Harper. As she reaches for his hand, Harper nearly climbs the table in his eagerness to be closer, eventually seeing sense and maneuvering around it. Even the firmness of her belly alone is enough to make his eyes go wide and smile to brighten, amazed by the novelty.

Kneeling by her chair like a loyal knight, Harper stares at her belly with awe, and then jolts when a kick thumps against his palm just as she'd warned. "Amazing," he breathes, and shuffles closer, hoping it would happen again. Laughing brightly, he turns blue eyes to Maeve's face, delighted. "Does it hurt when they do that?" Perhaps he shouldn't be celebrating.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
His excitement is palpable and Maeve almost laughs at how he practically scrambles around the table to be by her side. He kneels by her chair, pressing his hand to her belly almost reverently. It's warm and firm beneath his palm. Maeve covers her hand with his, jade eyes flicking between their hands and his face, watching as the awe washes over him at the first kick. She almost reaches forward to run a hand through his hair in a tender touch, but just stops herself. "No, it doesn't. Not unless they decide to give me a good kick in the ribs or bladder." Maeve confesses with a soft laugh, smile growing at another firm kick that hits his palm, clearly her little star was putting on a show.

"It's been an easy pregnancy, thankfully." She sighs, mind flitting to Locke for a moment and that familiar longing for him pops up again, trying hard to ignore the ache that spurs in her chest. How she wishes that he was at her side. To move through this mostly alone was harder than she thought. Even with the fact that the pregnancy hadn't been too physically taxing yet.
Maeve