under garden and calicos
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Maeve's shopping list from Safrin was simple enough. Sentient vine, leather, fire, and a feather. All fairly easy things to get. Only one of them required any real work on her part and she would have been more than capable of heading into the jungle to get herself some vine, but as soon as she mentioned it to Aurelia, the Fireheart refused to allow such a thing. Hence why this trek into the Oerwoud is being made with the woman at her side, ever watchful as they slowly pick their way through the underbrush, looking for a good patch of vines to pick from.

"You know I really could have come out here by myself. We aren't even that far in." Maeve glances over at Aurelia, a small smile curling on her lips, finding the whole thing rather amusing. Hadn't she just told Sunjata the other day that Aurelia was a bit of a hellcat lately? As of late it's been her way or the highway. Especially when it came to things that were physically demanding. The woman insisting that Maeve take it easy, not caring that she was still early on in her pregnancy and still plenty capable of doing things on her own.
But I don't like a gold rush, gold rush
I don't like slow motion double vision in rose blush
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia

Maeve? Go out into the jungle looking for sentient vines? Alone? Of course the Fireheart refused such an appalling idea. She'd been practically offended at the idea! And she would be sauntering alongside Maeve in the domineering presence of her tiger shift, if only there was a way for her fellow queen to understand her in it.

Perhaps that was something they could fix, at a later date. And Aurelia's thoughts toy with the idea as they trek into the thick foliage. Until they're lost to the leaves and branches that stretch their green little fingers toward them.

Aurelia carries a large machete in her hands, the blade silver and sharp. She glances over her shoulder at the sound of Maeve's voice nearby, because of course she's leading the way. She's making a safe path for her. The smile isn't missed, but Aurelia can't return it. "Haven't I ever told you about the plants in my world? They ate people. And one of the times I was out here, those vines grabbed hold of me pretty good." She says, raising her brows, "You can never underestimate a place like this, Maeve. And anyway, you're..." she glances down towards Maeve's middle, blushes, and then lifts her chin away.

She lifts her arm to hack away at a large, thick branch that sticks out across the path. She does try to see if any of these are sentient vines, but none appear to be yet.

"So... that letter from Noah..." her voice is quieter, takes a darker and more guarded shift even though she doesn't quite look up at Maeve as she brings it up.
looking in the mirror, drop of rum on my tongue
with the warning to help me see myself clearer
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Maeve should have known better than to even suggest that she go out without Aurelia, but truthfully the Nightshade thought that she could handle it. She's gone into the Wilds a number of times now. Even while pregnant. Granted, once was with Ronin and the other with Sunjata. It's not like much can happen when you're with a demigod or a dragon. This, while a short jaunt, wasn't something to be taken any less seriously.

Her counterpart moves ahead of her, cutting them a clear path through the still lush greenery, but the Fireheart isn't in a mood to play it seems. Her smile isn't returned and instead she's met with a warning glance that has Maeve arches her brow at, "No, you hadn't told me about the plants from your world. We have those too. Some that get so big they can swallow you whole. I think they're mostly in the Greatwood, though." She muses, head cocking to the side thoughtfully before she sighs, speeding up a little so she can get closer to Aurelia.

"I know I'm pregnant, 'Relia, but that doesn't mean that I'll break." Maeve tries her best to soothe her fellow queen's worries, but she knows that likely isn't going to happen. If there was one thing Maeve has figured out it's that Aurelia didn't budge on things when it came to her safety right now. Her bump is starting to become more noticeable now, sticking out more than her previously flat tummy, a soft swell that pushes against the fabric of her shirt.

Ah, right, the letter. "I'm assuming you aren't talking about his offer of the leather... He wants to meet to discuss things. I told him that I wasn't able to travel right now and that if it was in an official capacity I wouldn't do so without you with me." Something they both agreed on early on. When it came down to meeting other leaders or communication, they would both be involved. "He apparently doesn't feel comfortable with you coming to Halo and suggested that we meet halfway." Maeve pauses, giving Aurelia a chance to digest what she's said, letting her respond before she continues.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia

Aurelia takes a moment of trepidation as she realizes that, indeed, she had not told Maeve much of her previous world. "Oh," she remarks quietly, humbled a bit. With a soft, gentle half-smile, she says over her shoulder, "remind me never to go to the Greatwood, then." Not that she ever had much reason to go there beyond her own curiosity, anyway, but.. knowing there were such things there definitely made her less inclined to go.

Maeve's comment has Aurelia almost freezing in her motions, knuckles flexing around the handle of the blade she's wielding. Her gaze hardens and darkens, and she side-eyes Maeve quite blatantly. "You might be strong, but that child?" Her brows press together hard, because surely Maeve would not be naive enough to take what she's saying the wrong way. There's a clear waver in her expression and her shoulders shift uncomfortably. She doesn't know why she's so attached and protective of this unborn child, one that isn't hers and never will be. Sadness overwhelms her gaze and she turns it back to the jungles ahead of them, jaw feathering with mild-but-there tension. Perhaps Maeve is right. Perhaps it isn't her place to be here.

But then, who would be?

She hacks at a stubborn vine with a bit of frustration clenching through her muscles, which only seems to build in intensity at the mention of Noah's letter.

She draws her arms back, though, as she listens. She's reminded quickly that, even if she does not trust Halo's leadership by any capacity, she can trust Maeve. But that brief moment of relaxation is interrupted by a cocky scoff that shakes through her shoulders and guffaws past her lips, "Ha! What, are they afraid that I will kill the ursurs?" She chuckles to herself, shaking her head.

"I have no plans to go after Hotaru. She's unimportant in the face of everything else, don't you agree? She is dangerous, but.. there are bigger things in this world than Hotaru Kaito." Her brow cocks toward Maeve curiously, to measure the response. Perhaps it's unexpected of her, to have this point of view. But when you're crowned the queen of a land you had come to call your home by a goddess you follow, it'll give you some perspective (to say the least).

Her eyes narrow and she shifts to face Maeve for a moment, stopping in their trail. "But I will not appeal to them. What reason is there to?"
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"I think it's only in Flowerbirth that you have to worry. I was there very briefly with Locke. It's truly rather beautiful. Not the same as our jungles, but still a sight to behold." Maeve returns her smile, speeding up her steps so she isn't lagging as far behind, but because of this she's met with the full brunt of Aurelia's barely contained disapproval. Her brows knit together and before the Fireheart can move off from her and continuing to clear their path, Maeve reaches for her wrist, stopping her gently so she might soothe her concerns.

With a great amount of patience Maeve gazes at her, jade eyes searching her features and finding nothing but worry for the wellbeing of herself and her child, "Is vulnerable. I understand, but I spoke to Phoebe about such concerns. She reassured me I can still function normally, but to be mindful and careful. Believe me when I say I won't let a single thing happen to my baby." She murmurs, dipping forward to press their foreheads together for only a moment, drawing in a slow breath. "And I know you won't either. I know you care about the safety of both of us. It's why I asked you to stay. It's why I need you, Aurelia." Maeve draws back to give her a small reassuring smile, releasing her finally so that she might press forward once more, returning to the task at hand.

The comment shouldn't make her laugh, but it does, the sound a quick huff before she remembers herself. Maeve clears her throat, a smile still tugging on her lips, "I doubt it has anything to do with the ursurs." Maeve mutters mostly to herself, pausing her steps as Aurelia hacks away at a particularly stubborn branch.

"I didn't think you did. Not now. Not with everything else we have need to be concerned with." Maeve hums, wrapping her arms around her middle, "But I do think we should exercise caution with her. She wrote to me as well. Not as a leader, but as a friend, simply telling me of her current situation. I responded in kind." She eyes Aurelia, knowing that her counterpart likely won't be thrilled to hear as much, but she had her reasons. "I didn't want to give her reason to suspect that something might be... off. I'm being careful, I assure you." Maeve had made no mention of Torchline or anything beyond herself in that letter. The fact that she was pregnant and no longer with Locke being the primary focus.

She slows behind Aurelia, coming to a stop just behind her, offering a nod of agreement, "There isn't one. At least not currently. We have plenty to focus on here without worrying over other regions just yet." Maeve thinks that siding with anyone right off would be to show their cards too early. Safrin hasn't told them to make alliances just yet and until their goddess thinks such moves are necessary, they'll continue to keep their cards close to their chest.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

Aurelia's mind is too clouded with worry and confliction to entertain ideas of the Greatwood too much, especially not when Maeve's fingers curl around her wrist and she is forced to stop sooner than she would've on her own. But she does, halting sharply even if the touch itself is gentle. Her gaze lifts to Maeve, but there is nothing expectant within it. Only a muddled mixture of her own emotions, which she doesn't try much harder to hide than she already has.

There's a gentle breath that pleads through her lungs as Maeve tells her about a conversation she's had with Phoebe. Not that Aurelia has a damn clue who that is. Not personally, anyway. Perhaps the name jogs some distant knowledge of demi-gods. Demi-gods could... probably.. be trusted. Right?

So when Maeve's head dips towards hers, instead of letting their foreheads touch she leans back. One of her hands moves up to rest against the inside of Maeve's shoulder, stopping her but not pushing her away. She searches the Nightshade's eyes for a moment, no longer concerned with cutting vines, and says, "If you really believe I won't let anything bad happen to you or the baby, then please... lean on me a bit more. Trust me," she states firmly. Her fingers smooth around the crook of Maeve's neck, and she leans in to press a tender kiss to the woman's forehead. One that lasts until they're quietly parting and the tension bleeds back into Aurelia's features.

But at least she can still laugh at this shit.

The laugh, however, fades as she realizes that Maeve has a far deeper understanding of her than she'd anticipated. The hands that climb around her middle don't go unnoticed, and Aurelia reaches out to pull one of them back. Her calloused, scarred hand grips around Maeve's smooth, dainty fingers. "Maeve..." her voice takes on a cautionary tone and her brows lift before lowering, "that woman is a manipulator. I don't know what happened between you two, but..." and her grip around the woman's fingers squeezes, "it must end now. Your loyalty is to Torchline. And me. Don't fall for her whims, they will not last... and that... Hotaru does not know the first thing about loyalty. No matter what she tells you." Aurelia knows, from personal fucking experience, and she expects Maeve to trust her on this - but if she needs to elaborate, she certainly will.

There are practically monuments supporting Aurelia's views of the Valkyrie.

At Maeve's support, she smiles gently, though her gaze is troubled. She worries still, uncertain of if Maeve will have the heart to turn Hotaru away entirely. It could spell worse things out for them.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It’s impossible not to notice the myriad of emotions swirling in the moss green gaze she’s grown so incredibly fond of. Aurelia doesn’t bother hiding from her and she thinks for a moment that they weren’t like this before. This close. This open. This dependant. Her heart seems to skip in her chest, beating sporadically against her ribs as she attempts to draw Aurelia into herself only to be stopped by a gentle hand on her shoulder, but the Fireheart doesn’t push her away.

Instead their eyes meet, Aurelia seeming to search for something there before she speaks, words firm and unyielding. Despite this there is a gentleness to them that Maeve likely wouldn’t have noticed before, but it’s clear as day to her now, wrapping around her comfortingly as a breath is drawn between parted lips. Slightly chapped lips brush against her forehead, the tips of Aurelia’s fingers pressing against the back of her neck and she relaxes into it, nodding slowly. ”I do trust you, but you’re right. I know you said you’ll be here for me, but a part of me is still scared. I- I don’t want to be alone, ‘Relia.” The confession is soft, a slight waver coloring her voice as her eyes close, lingering in this embrace for a moment longer.

The tenderness they find in each other fades seconds later as Aurelia draws back, beginning to press forward again only to stop in her tracks as Maeve mentions Hotaru and a part of her was prepared for something like this. Truly. What she isn’t prepared for is the hand that finds hers, drawing it away from her middle, scarred and calloused skin against hers that bears nothing remotely the same. The touch is comforting. Something that she needs given what Aurelia says. It’s a hard truth. One that Maeve admittedly wanted to avoid, but it needs to be said.

The Fireheart is right. Even if it makes her stomach twist to know that this isn’t a tightrope she can walk anymore, Aurelia is there to catch her, to keep her close and safe. Her eyes drop, exhaling sharply as her shoulders slump, already trying to make peace with what this means. Hotaru had told her before to move on, hadn’t she? To build her life here and focus on that, right? She had to know that she might not fit into that life again. Before Maeve became queen alongside Aurelia it might have been possible, but now she had a duty to uphold. She had a region to take care of and Aurelia needed her here. Aurelia needed all of her.

”I believe you and I know that I- I can’t try to play both sides with this. I’ll… I’ll let this go. What we had before can’t be anymore, you’re right.” The Nightshade looks up to her counterpart then, searching her eyes for some reassurance that this is the right choice, that Aurelia isn't going to let her face it alone.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

She draws back and pauses when Maeve's softer tones fill the air between them. At first, there's a flicker of instinctive hurt that surfaces in her gaze at the Nightshade's admittance. But as she searches the woman's face, all she can find is the open understanding that's always been there. It's with a sigh that Aurelia pulls back, glancing up at the foliage that twists and unfurls around them, and then back to the slender edges of Maeve's cheeks.

She reaches up to smooth her thumb over the apple of one of those cheeks, "It's okay to be scared," her gaze wanders to midnight-black hair as she pushes a lock of it out of Maeve's eyes. "Most people are, when they're with me," it feels like she's admitting to something, though she doesn't know what, "but I promise that you're safe with me. I can keep you safe. I'm not gonna let go of you for as long as you keep holding onto me, okay?" Her brows tilt upward in her earnesty and she lingers a little closer for a little longer.

And in her mind, she debates kissing Maeve, and her gaze wanders down to those plush, pink lips as she lowers her hand to take the other queen's in it. Her gaze remains on Maeve's mouth as she relents to Aurelia's will. In a way, she feels... guilty. She knows that Maeve grows attached to people, knows that it's hard for her to lose anyone. But she also knows that this is something she's right about.

Sooner or later, Hotaru would be gone with the wind... again. And being Warden of another region altogether? If tensions grew, which Aurelia believes they will, Torchline's government would have to put themselves first and foremost. Even, potentially, at the detriment of those they considered their friends.

It's a truth Aurelia has a hard time accepting as well, which is why she is relieved to know that she can count on Maeve. "We have each other now," she says with that same gentle firmness, "no matter what happens."
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

With as tuned in to each other that they are these days, Maeve doesn't miss that flicker of hurt in her eyes at her words, but it fades as quickly as it came. Her intentions with speaking so honestly aren't out of cruelty. They aren't hiding from each other anymore and if Aurelia is meant to support her, then Maeve isn't going to hold back. Even if there are brief flashes of pain that come from that honesty. She'd take that sting over the loss of the Fireheart again.

It's so easy to lean into Aurelia's touch. Her own hand coming up to clutch her wrist, feeling the fluttering of her pulse beneath the press of her thumb, jade eyes locked on the other woman as she brushes a dark curl off of her forehead. "I'm not scared when I'm with you. Honestly it's one of the few times that I'm not scared at all." Her admittance is soft, almost a whisper that gets lost in the rustling of the greenery around them, a breeze tugging and playing with the loose bits of hair that fall around their shoulders. Maeve's cheeks flush at Aurelia's words, clutching onto them tightly like a lifeline, tucking them away to get her through the times that will certainly come. "I'll always hold on." She vows, licking her suddenly dry lips, forgetting what it means to breathe as she's caught in this moment with the Fireheart.

Even as she says that she'll cut things off with Hotaru, even as she promises herself to Aurelia in one more way, Maeve doesn't miss how the queen's eyes fall to her lips. A sweet anticipation curls in her belly, something that she hasn't felt in some time and she thinks for a moment that the Fireheart might kiss her. How easy it would be to simply lean in and let it happen. How simple for Maeve to rise up onto her tip toes and curl her fingers at her hip, drawing her counterpart closer to that edge, but she remains still.

Instead, Maeve offers a small nod at her words, giving the fingers that hold hers a gentle squeeze. "For evermore." She murmurs, lips curving into a breathtaking smile that lights up her eyes as she takes a small step forward and there is hardly any space left before them. Despite how she wishes to linger here, the air is growing heavy with the smell of rain and they will undoubtedly be caught in it if they don't get a move on. "We should probably find me a vine, no?" Maeve huffs with a soft laugh, still holding on to her hand, unwilling to let her go.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

The smell of rain is a reminder that they should get a move on. She doesn't need it but, at the same time, she appreciates Maeve's own little prod to push them back on the right track. "Of course..." she murmurs, fondness and trust in her gaze. There's nothing more to discuss; they've reached a decision that's brought them closer together.

So, with ease, she pulls away from the other woman and moves to walk further into the jungle depths. "So, tell me more about this quest from Safrin. How long of a vine do you need again?" She quirks a brow, unsure of if Maeve's actually told her but asking as if she has - just in case. "And why... sentient?" She breathes a sharp little breath at that, shoulders rising and falling apprehensively with it.

"In my past, before... I was on a mission," yes, one of 'those' kind of missions, "and my target was fleeing through the jungle-" she swipes out her machete at a nearby plant, though it would appear not to be of the sentient sort "-in my pursuit, I got snagged by vines," she explains, remembering that Maeve had told her earlier she'd not been told the story, "the man-eating kind, you know?" She glances back at Maeve at this, smirking. "That's what this scar is from," she lifts her free hand, letting the sleeve of her cloak fall down around her elbow to reveal the dark marks that wind around her forearm. She may have a different face now, but her scars remain.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

The smile that curls on her lips for Aurelia is of the easy sort. One that settles there without issue simply because it's for the other woman. Maeve releases her hand so she might continue to clear their path, cutting a swath through the dense greenery that reaches for them despite the fact that none of these surrounding plants are sentient, threatening to snag on their clothes either way. "It's for my weapon. A proper magical one. The bow Remi made for me is lovely, but I want more options."

She pushes a few of the dangling vines out of her way, letting them swing behind her as she presses forward, steps following behind Aurelia's. "And it can be whatever length I prefer. It'll be for a whip. So it should be rather long. Around eight feet or so." Anything longer would be hard to manage, but shorter wouldn't allow for proper flow or reach. "As for why it has to be sentient, I'm really not sure. It's what Safrin asked for and I'm not in the habit of questioning her on such things." It was best not to if she wished to stay on her goddess's good side.

Aurelia's apprehension isn't unfounded. Maeve knew just how finicky the damn things could be. It's how she got one of the few scars on her body after all. When one of them yanked her into the water, causing her to hit her head rather hard, leaving a small scar at her temple. As Aurelia begins her story, Maeve listens raptly, eyes widening as she weaves the tale seamlessly all while guiding them forward. The scar was familiar. It was one of the few that Maeve had seen the one time they were together. There were others than she didn't get to commit to memory, but the familiar longing to stirred in her all over again.  

"I can see why you aren't a fan. I can't say I am either. I told you about the one that tripped me, right? Before I got slung into the tar pits with Rigby?" Maeve questions as they press forward, unsure if she shared that part of the story or not. Certain details of that day were fuzzy now, but it felt so long ago now. All of it did. She pauses at the sound of rustling, glancing up above them as a small swarm of Modilu Flies flit about above them, wings taking on a soft pink hue and Maeve blinks in surprise. "Have you seen these little guys before?"

Her curiosity is clear in her voice and the wings shift from a steady shimmering pink so a mix of pink and orange instead. Well, wasn't this interesting.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

Aurelia smirks gently at the mention of the bow, reminded of how well Maeve could use it. She nods along with a deeper furrow of her brow at the rest of the explanations, visualizing how long the vine needs to be. "It's funny, seeing you go from a poison ring to a bow, and now.. a whip," she grins suddenly, flashing her teeth, "though I guess I shouldn't be surprised this is what you'd ask for..."

She might deserve a little smack for that one, but she laughs nonetheless. That is, until she shifts the subject toward a facet of her own history. A history she doesn't speak fondly of, evident in the frown that builds in severity.

"Mhm," she nods, remembering Maeve's terrible encounter with Rigby. Oddly enough, the mention of the street rat makes Aurelia's heart cave a bit. "You know.. I haven't seen much of him lately," she remarks, sounding unusually sad, "kinda miss the little shit."

As she offers Maeve a half-smile over her shoulder, she realizes that something has drawn the woman's attention. Her gaze hones in on little flies that flitter about. "The.. flies? Sure..." if she sounds a bit confused, she can't help it, "what about 'em? I thought you wanted to focus on the- ah!" her voice cuts off in a short-lived outcry when she loses her footing on a fallen branch.

Only it's not a branch, it's a vine, and more of them coil out from the woodwork.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve can’t see Aurelia’s smirk, but she hears it in her voice and the Nightshade rolls her eyes in response, reminded of the fact that Aurelia technically got her the first weapon she ever had. ”Is it funny? I hadn’t given it any thought.” She quips in response, a playful sarcasm coloring her words before her eyes narrow and at the grin on Aurelia’s face, catching up to swat at her arm. ”I obviously need it to keep you in line.” Maeve growls, snapping at her with teeth as a challenge flashes in her eyes, but there is no real heat behind her words. At least, not of the angry sort.

The conversation shifts and Maeve grows serious with it, nodding at the Fireheart’s words, ”Last I saw him was before the monsoons.” And despite her lingering dislike for the man, Maeve did hope that he was okay, but knowing him he probably slipped away somewhere to lay low. He liked to do that. ”I’m sure he’s off causing trouble somewhere. He could have fucked off to Stormbreak for a bit.” Given the skyship route now it isn’t unlikely that he headed over there to get some fresh targets.

”I’ve never seen them. At least, I didn’t when I was out here the last few times.” She says as a way of explanation, watching them flit too and fro above their heads, wings shifting color more consistently now. Maeve is so caught up in watching them that she misses the suddenly snaking vines that slither across the floor, one of them tripping Aurelia up, causing her to stumble. She reaches for her instantly, seizing her free arm to steady her, ”Guess we found them.” Pulling her own dagger from the sheath on her thigh, Maeve grips it tightly, stepping hard on a vine that draws closer before striking out against it.

Her hand wraps around the offending greenery, yanking it from the canopy all the while coiling it around her arm as one might coil a bit of rope, working quickly to get what they needed so they could get out before they were overwhelmed. Once satisfied with the length she manages to gather, Maeve saws through the thick tendril, managing to sever it from the rest of the plant. ”I’m good. Let’s go.” She huffs, struggling to get out of the thick vegetation that’s curled around her feet, attempting to keep her in place.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia

Aurelia is caught off guard by the vine that tangles around the edges of her boot, threatening to drag her down into its depths. But just before the worst can come true, Maeve's hand is fast around her arm, pulling her up and free from the thorny grips.

Out of her brief haze, Aurelia begins to swing the machete with precision and intent to kill each stray vine that attempts to impede Maeve's progress. With each sweeping strike, she creates enough space for the Nightshade to get what she needs without danger of being swallowed up by the rest of the vines.

By the time Maeve says they can go, Aurelia is still ready for more. Not even a hitch in her breath, or a paleness in her knuckles. In fact, she feels great, as she stands in the carnage of green tendrils that lay limp around her feet.

She sees from the corner of her eye that she missed one, however, as it goes to latch onto Maeve. Extending out her hand, she makes a clutching motion with her fist, and the vine is enveloped in flames that disintegrate it into little more than ash. Immediately, she pulls away her magic so no harm is done to Maeve.

"Now you're good, let's go," she says, nodding and striding to take the lead. Over her shoulder, she adds with a cheeky grin, "you'll have to show me what that whip can do once you get it." With a wink, she turns back to the path and leads them home.

Fin!