i've turned my fair share of pages
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
the lullaby
You are colors in the sky after forty rains
They're on a beach, but not one that exists in this world. It might as well have been Torchline though, for the sandy shores and bright blue ocean. Hotaru will find herself just a few feet away from a building made of wood, poorly painted white, with a yellow door propped open. She will still be pregnant, but here at least, all her discomfort will be gone.

There is the sound of singing on the breeze and given how few speak with Remi's dialect (just Bastien, really), it's fair to assume who the Valkyrie will find within the building. It's a bar, as it turns out, with bare shelves behind a bar, broken windows that open onto the sea, and a few knocked over chairs surrounding grubby tables. Inside, Remi has placed a crate of label-less bottles, and he's currently wiping down the counter with a rag that looks as though it's probably adding as much grime as it is taking away. Even so, the atmosphere is cheerful and whimsical thanks to the warm light pouring through and the sweet smell of the sea all around them.
Storm or drought, Surrounded by fire or flood
With You I'm never without
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Online
Change author:
MP: 9427
Hotaru

She shuffles into bed that night tired and sore, and only the presence of her exhaustion shepherds her into the realm of sleep, discomfort pitiful when measured against it.

She sleeps. She dreams.

She wakes.

The sun is bright and welcoming, but it doesn’t burn her eyes. Soft sand and wind through whistling grass welcome her, and any disorientation melts away beneath the warmth of the beautiful dream she has been ushered into. Dulcet masculine tones draw her attention from the kaleidoscope of colors that live within the ocean’s waves, and the wind tugs playfully at her golden hair in futile attempt to steer her focus elsewhere.

Weathered boards creak beneath her bare feet as she enters, heralding her entrance. Remi’s back is to her, but the relaxed slope of his shoulders is nice to see. Tilting sideways into the doorframe, shoulder resting against sun-warmed wood, Hotaru rests her arms atop her belly and smiles as she listens to Remi sing. The dilapidated space does little to dissuade her, and Hotaru watches Remi instead of altering the landscape.

“Is that one of your mothers songs?” The Valkyrie’s voice is soft, reluctant to interrupt but unwilling to remain silent much longer. For all they are merely friends, extenuating circumstances aside, she has missed him.
will you stay with me tonight?
you could be my cure
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
the lullaby
Though he hasn't turned or stopped his singing, he can feel her presence in the world all around him. It's faint—just a glisten of gold here, a fleck of opal there—but it screams of the mind whose slumber he's taken over. "It is, yes. Though I honestly cannot remember what parts are hers, and what I have made up over the years." Remi explains, turning around to lean against the bar. Flopping the rag over his shoulder and offering the Valkyrie a sunny smile, he extends his hands toward her that he might drag her out of the door frame and into the bar.

"You," He says a touch adoringly. "—are huge." Beaming, he turns where a large and luxuriously padding rocking chair is behind him. 'How are you feeling?'
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Hotaru

The muddling of memories in the wake of loss is well known, and she feels touched to have been privy for even a moment to the lasting bits of Remi’s mother that live on inside him. “Perhaps you should write it down then, and your children can carry it on.” Maybe Remi will sing it cradleside to their child when he visits, or Mateo’s lilting mother tongue will pass it down the lineage.

Laughing as he reaches for her, she straightens and closes the space between them, hands meeting as she is easily pulled inward. “I think the starwhals are going to start trying to recruit me soon,” she agrees, glowing throughout with a vitality and love only mothers seemed to acquire. Sinking into the rocking chair, seamstress fingers dance along the curves of the wood, clearly admiring the particulars of his vision. Moments later it is widened into a loveseat, and she beckons him down with a gentle tug upon his wrist.

“Here? Better than I have in weeks. Out there, I’m wondering if there really are twins, because I’m only continuously ballooning up it seems. And physical soreness aside…I’m uneasy.” Fair brows furrow for a fleeting moment before smoothing purposefully away. Halo’s affairs do not belong here, where he is all bronze smiles and sunshine. “But the baby has started kicking, and has refused to stop since. I know it’s not exactly the same but…?” Ru directs his hand to her belly, letting him feel if he so desires before smiling. “Or I could come to you. I want you to be there for the big moments.”
you could be my cure
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
Hotaru's belly brushes against his stomach before he's able to sweep his arms around her, but petite as she is to begin with, Remi is able to awkwardly curl himself up and over that he might scoop her into a hug just the same. "The air gets a bit thin up there." He chuckles as if that's the only reason not to leave everything behind and go swim with the celestial whales.

Still softly holding onto her fingers, Remi watches as the chair grows and changes, and for a moment he mentally kicks himself. Of course he wouldn't have any idea what a pregnant woman might want to relax in, and just as he's about to wince and offer an apology, she's tugging him down next to her. Sitting so that he's mostly facing her, one of his arms stretched over the back of the loveseat, he turns his gaze to her stomach, reaching tentatively out as she offers.

Her stomach is shockingly hard in a way he hadn't expected. Drawing in a sharp breath as he feels a sudden flutter against his palm, Remi looks up at the Valkyrie with surprise first, then with a wide smile that dimple his cheeks following swiftly thereafter. 'I wish I could ease this for you.' He muses, the desire a naive one, especially given how many times Hotaru had gone through exactly this, but such is Remi's brand of boyish concern.

"I heard what happened in Halo.." Remi offers. With his hand still on her belly, his gaze rises to meet hers. He doesn't look disappointed or angry, but perhaps just quietly uncertain of what it all means. "I am glad you are alright. I have moved back to the Greatwood which..I suppose both is and isn't closer." Closer in distance than Stormbreak, but he was just only a dream away, as he always would be.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

For all the awkwardness of the angle, his embrace has her laughing in a warm breath across his shoulder, feeling misaligned parts and pieces settle back into place. "I can fly now, didn't you know?" The teasing edge of her voice precedes a shimmering translucent image of a golden hawk as it gracefully glides around them before disappearing in a ray of sunlight streaming through the broken window.

Any anxiety he feels she hopes to banish with the brush of her thumb over the ridges of his knuckles as she pulls him down to join her. "This is ease enough," Hotaru assures with a smile made more maternal by the day. Even talk of Halo cannot dim it, though interest rises in irises of seafoam and overcast skies as he mentions his own move to the Greatwood. "I've only been once aside from staying with Vai," she confesses, "when Vi had us plant roses. What's it like? Better than Stormbreak?" A land just as unfamiliar to her, and one that would likely always remain a mystery.
you could be my cure
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
"No!" Remi's exclamation is bright and boyish, and the grin he offers her is no less sunny. "That looks a good deal like my hawk shift." He adds with a suggestive bob of his brows, the words, we should fly together sometime, a whispered hint in the very fabric of the loveseat.

"Oh gods, those roses." Remi shakes his head. 'Ronin was king of the Hollowed Ground then, and blighted. He used to kill things and leave them on our doorstep." Swallowing hard at the memory, Remi forces himself to exhale with a shivery laugh. "Much better than Stormbreak. Infinitely better. The Woods have a magic all their own. Their pathways will leave you hopelessly lost if you're disrespectful to the ways of the fae. At night the rush of the Stonesong sounds like music, and the darkness is almost always filled by points of light from the wil 'o wisps." Rather adoringly, Remi shrugs as his dimples deepen.

"You are welcome to come visit anytime." And then, perhaps a touch bashfully he adds, "I would like it. I could show you around."
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

"I think it might be, what I can tell from reflections," she agrees, heartened by the mere idea of sharing the sky with someone else. Hotaru had yet to show Deimos, but he was the only other she knew with a flighted form. "I'm still getting the hang of flying, so you'll have plenty to teach me." An agreement to such a day without the words needing to be said.

Pretty face twisting empathetically at the mention of the blight and Ronin being infected by it, Hotaru gracefully lets him move the topic past them. "When we discovered the Climb, the sickness led me to losing seasons lost in the Wilds. I came to myself with only Atlas around, and had no idea where I was. I think dead gifts might have been preferable to that." Nate's words haunt her, accusations of expecting to be welcomed home time and again with open arms, when she'd never wanted to leave them in the first place. It's not just Remi who doesn't want to remember the particulars of those times.

Luckily Remi has the distracting artistry of a storyteller whether he knows it or not, and Ru listens intently, captivated by the imagery he paints. "It sounds beautiful," she whispers, at a loss for a better word when faced with such vivid descriptions. Entirely different from the icy reaches of the Basin and Halo, and even more so from Torchline. What would it be like, to live there? "I'd like that too," Ru confides, though far less bashfully, as a woman who is not inclined towards it. "Though flying anywhere near trees sounds daunting." The cheekiness of her smile, however, assures it will not stop her in the least. "Where would I find you?" In realms beyond dreams, where he is much harder to find.
you could be my cure
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
"It would be my pleasure." He beams. Though many things have changed for Remi over the years, teaching others to fly has ever had a special place in his heart.

Listening softly, Remi imagines what it must have been like for Hotaru—feral and alone with just Atlas. He can't help the pang of sadness that falling from him like a rain-covered tree branch that's suddenly shaken by the wind, to hear her speak of her companion. "I am sorry for that." Remi offers with a tentative frown, knowing how little the words would mean now—years later—but compelled to say them just the same.

'It truly is.' Remi agrees, though his perceptions of the Greatwood might have been made all the rosier by the memories he had made there. 'Ah, well.' Letting his head move from side to side, he grins. "We will start by flying over the trees, mm?" Tempted to simply say she could find him around, their unborn child takes precedence over his roguishness enough for him to consider her question properly. "Officially I can be found in a rather large tree house by the Sea of Branches. Unofficially, Ronin and I live in a boat on the Stonesong."

Letting his eyes wash over her, finding it so strange to have been with her so intimately and yet find new things to notice about her each and every time they're together, Remi lets his head drift slightly to the side. "Is there anything I can do for you? I know here does not really count, but..." Offers of body rubs or massages, food and drink, she could have it all, insofar as that meant anything. He'd come to her in the real world too, as often and with anything at all she could ask for.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Grief is a funny thing, but it is a burden that is easier to bear when shared. "It's easier to remember him with you," she confesses quietly, though she is not brave enough to face him as she does. Vulnerability comes easy when with him, but it is still not natural for her as a whole. "It seems nobody else understands the gravity of losing your soulmate. But it's...good. Remembering him as more than his last moments." Loyal to the end yes, but his loyalty deserved more than being defined by a singular ultimate sacrifice. The seasons he'd spent at her side while she was too sick to even see him clearly were testament to that.

"It will be nice to be somewhere I can swim again," she sighs dreamily, recalling what he'd said of the Stonesong and further enforced by mention of a boat, pregnant mind easily distracted. "I am one aching foot away from petitioning Frey for hotsprings here." Already planned beforehand maybe, but now a matter of personal urgency if she says so herself. Halo was simply too cold for any other kind of swimming, and Hotaru was one bad day away from killing a man in old-school god sacrifice to get her pregnant body in a pool of water to be weightless for a time.

His intense regard has Hotaru turning to do the same, tracing the fissures of color in his green eyes, kaleidoscopic, the shadow of his lashes painted across the curve of his corneas. The offer is staggering for her even in all its simplicity; the bar really is despairingly low, historically, for Hotaru. "This absolutely counts," Hotaru is quick to disagree, resolute. "You are giving me your time, a place to shape to my greatest desires, your memories and your companionship. That's all I could want." Anything more seems gratuitous, and at risk for being demanding if she were to ask for it. "But I wouldn't say no to - well, this may sound strange but - it's a huge relief, when you're pregnant, to have someone stand behind you and gently hold the weight of the baby from below." She had attempted to fashion her own sling of sorts, but only with mild success. "When I visit, if it would make you feel more useful," as she assumes that's what he's hoping for, "you could do that. I would likely cry with relief." A sentiment eased by the smile that crinkles the corner of her eyes.
you could be my cure
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
"He can be here anytime you like." Remi offers softly, just in case she didn't know. Anyone could, as evidenced by the shadows of their parents when last they met together in a dream. Sighing heavily, the alchemist shifts slightly. Not out of discomfort, but merely because the weightiness and truth of her words has the balls of his feet itching. "They really do not, no." He agrees. Like Hotaru, Remi too had been bonded to a unicorn. Unlike her though, the end of that creature's life came directly from his own hand.

'I suppose things are a bit chilly in Halo. Though...did you ever visit Frey's hotsprings? Whatever they are called?" Breath, he thinks vaguely, but then she's saying as much which has him grinning. Below them the dusty floorboards disappear and are replaced by the teal waters of Frey's breath. They bubble and writhe, though the faint smell of sulphur doesn't rise into the air as it likely should. "I have found that even if things are not real here, you can let yourself feel good even so."

Wanting to disagree with her instantly, it's only the Valkyrie's conviction that keeps him silent. What Remi has done, is precious little. Visiting her in dreams, painting a world free of pain and full of pleasure comes as naturally to him now as breathing. He'd offer her the world if only he knew what that might look like through her eyes. However as she works her way toward actually asking something of him, Remi finds himself sitting up eagerly. "I can absolutely do that." He agrees with all the sincerity of a vow, before his smile turns slightly crooked and his nose crinkles.

"Should we...talk about the elephant in the room? And no, I do not mean you."
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

"I think it would only make me miss him more," she confesses. To have him for only snatches of moments, and not in any way that was real. He could be there visually, but the empty space in her soul would still ache like a phantom limb. The way Remi talks has her pausing and slowly turning to read his face, trying to find something there that he has never outright told her. It lingers unspoken, unwilling to dredge up memories he isn't willing to share.

A small noise curls in her throat as the floor melts away, followed by a breathy laugh as she eagerly submerges her feet into the waters. This is precisely why she considers his dream world to count. "We had hotsprings in the land I ruled with Deimos," she shares, recalling them fondly. "They shouldn't mean so much to me, but I've wanted them ever since." Traveling to the Climb wasn't an impossibility now with wings of her own, but pregnancy introduces a new level of exhaustion to contend with most days, precluding travel even on the best of them.

His silence is met not with smugness exactly, but approval perhaps. His lack of self-worth has not escaped her attention from the first moment they met. They are both a little broken, and though he is not hers to fix, she doesn't mind sparing a little glue.

Unable to help the snort of a laugh at his trailing, teasing comment - and sparing a moment to reflect that both Remi and his husband seem to have a talent for catching her off guard and prompting such a graceless noise - Hotaru kicks her feet idly in the bubbling water. "Which one? Halo's coup, the coming war, Ronin?" Seren's involvement in the coup is hopefully not on that list, but the girl still needs quite a few more lessons in lying from her newly self-proclaimed aunt in Hotaru's opinion. Turning her head, Hotaru's lips curl in a small smile. "I don't hide from things that need to be said. What's on your mind?"
you could be my cure
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
"Sometimes it is hard to turn away from that pain. Or at least it has been for me." Remi admits with a gentle shrug. Like standing in front of a mirror only that you might cry all the harder in seeing your pain, sometimes in dreams the alchemist allowed? forced? endured? things better left in the past. Like Aoife's laugh, or the singing of his mother.

'Well..I might not be an alchemist in title anymore, but I am more than sure I could build you your own private pool should you ever want.' Remi offers, sounding as though he'd enjoy doing it as much as she might enjoy using it. Grinning and spreading his toes in the water, Remi sinks back against the couch, finding it uniquely marvelous to be in the bar he'd once so badly wanted to own, with his arm around a woman he'd inadvertently gotten pregnant, with his feet in a hot spring.

'I was going to go with the coup.' He replies, nudging her shoulder softly. 'Though you do not seem like a warden to me." Remi adds, nose crinkling childishly. Something about the title made him think of sex dungeons and frowns, though perhaps that had more to do with who held the title previously.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

"It's like being offered a perfect fruit when dying of starvation, but knowing it's rotted inside." It does nothing to prevent the desire to take it in hand and sink your teeth into it. In that sense Hotaru doesn't envy him this ability of his. "It's a wonder you leave at all." Would she, in his shoes? Or would she stay forever, surrounded by children who never got to grow up, companions who didn't make it to the other side, family who were lost too soon? It's a miracle they persevere, the two of them, with all they've lost and still stand to lose.

A swift inhale precedes the way her arm loops around his own to pull their hips together, a playful fire to her eyes. "Sold. Tell me when and where, and it's a done deal, I'd never ask for anything again." White teeth flirt between pink lips, girlish and juvenile but perfectly sincere in her excitement at the prospect. "Though I might become a raisin - you'd have to drag me out of it." At least everyone would always know where to find her.

Rocking gently, she swings like a pendulum back against his shoulder in a returned nudge, some hybrid of a hum and chuckle filling her chest. "It doesn't feel any more right to me either," she admits, and despairs that she can't see her toes where they wiggle idly in the water. "It's not the ruling itself that feels strange, nor the land. It's as close to home as I've found here. But maybe that's why it feels wrong? To be so familiar, yet so incomplete." And with Noah on the throne as she believed him to rightfully deserve, and Safrin's demands met, what more remained? The elephant in the room. And therein lies the hard part of the conversation.

"Retaliation is sure to come. I hope we have time for defenses, but with eight seasons to go and so few hands in Halo, I'm not betting on hope alone." Shrugging, Ru idly caresses her belly, gaze distant as her sharp mind works away at a problem it has not let go of since Safrin's demands of Deimos first touched her ears. "The fact of the matter is, if any land were to be held by the Ascended, it would be Halo. With little natural light, and access to it almost solely obtained through The Voice's portal, I'm sure it will swiftly become a pawn in the war - if it hasn't already by us making our move. And that's a worry I must constantly contend with for now." Tilting her head back against the plush head rest, Hotaru's eyes trace the old wood overhead. "And if our attempts are not enough, then you'll find me in the Greatwood I'm sure." Her wry smile is proof enough that it's an ending she is not taking off the table. Aside from the Wilds, no other place was an option if things went south. Eyes softening at the realization that what she's saying might spark some degree of fear in him considering her pregnant state, she tilts to lean into his side a little more. "But if they do come, my priority is getting out. I promise."
you could be my cure