please fix my broken brain
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

Another day of feeling weak from hunger, feeling sick from anxiety, struggling to eat, no energy; another sleepless night racked with misery -- and Cam was officially fed up. I can't do this anymore. I need help. It was a declaration they'd made before in their life -- for the first time as a young teenager -- but this time it didn't mean another round of doctors and pills. This time it was a little more drastic.

Still, they knew they couldn't go on like this. They didn't seem to have a lot of other options. They'd been hemming and hawing for seasons, while their mental and physical health declined, and they couldn't take it anymore. It was time to commit -- before it was too late.

So early in the morning Cam crept out of the inn where they stayed and headed to the Temple. They knelt before the shrine, uncertain of the procedure for contacting a god -- last time Nate had helped them, for all the good that had done, but they'd woken up this morning unwilling to wait even as long as it would take to contact them. Now that they'd properly made their decision, they needed to follow through before they lost their nerve.

The people they lived with had long ago advised Cam that if you wanted to contact a god, you needed an offering. Cam didn't know if that applied to the Voice as well as the Old Gods -- it occurred to them in a macabre fashion that their offering today was their body -- but better safe than sorry, so they'd been working on a pencil drawing to offer, a landscape of the Hollowed Grounds. It wasn't quite finished, but it looked good enough, Cam hoped. They laid it on the altar and cleared their throat.

"Hello, um, Voice? I'd like to -- I need to Ascend." They swallowed, their mouth suddenly dry. "Nate said that it would help me with my, um, brain chemistry and stuff."

cameron ?

"Cameras" by Ennev is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

"You are ready then, at last?"

The sketch he's been working on seems to drift up and into the air around the altar, and around him, Cam will see the Hollowed Grounds flickering, as if the image he'd drawn is projecting all about.

When the Voice appears, it is with a smile and open arms for him. "You are certain now? You would become bright, and join with your brothers and sisters in this?"
the VOICE
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Every anxious, indecisive instinct in Cam's body screams to hem and haw, to say no, I'm not ready. (They note, also, that "at last": they're embarrassed to think that the goddess is aware of their procrastination, that the Voice herself has been waiting for them.)

But they didn't want to live like this. And things weren't going to get any better unless they took action. So Cam took a deep, deep breath, then raised their head to look the Voice square in the face, not caring if that wasn't quite the respect you should show a goddess. If the Voice was so arrogant as to be offended by someone looking her in the eye, better to find out now.

"Yes," Cam said, stepping forward, into her arms. "I'm ready."

I have to be ready.

cameron ?

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

"Perfect," the Voice murmurs to them. "That is perfect. We have been waiting for you." And as they move into her arms and she closes them around Cam, they will feel an abrupt sense of peace. Of being on the precipice of, almost. "This will hurt, but for a moment," she explains. "But you are no stranger to pain and discomfort, are you? And afterwards... you will never hurt again."

They have already said they are ready, though, and so she wastes no further time. Clasping Cam's cheeks in her hands, the Voice leans in to press a kiss to their forehead. And they will feel it, like a scalpel blade sinking beneath their skin, a shriek of every nerve in their body in exquisite pain, before... gone.

It's all gone. The process is a swift one, replacing biological matter with enhanced systems, blood with fluid. Cam will be faster, they will see in the darkness as well as they have ever seen in the light. They are more, they are part of something larger. They are Ascended.

"Welcome," the Voice hums. "Our whole family welcomes you, bright one."

Cam has become Ascended!
the VOICE
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

Cam couldn't help crying out as that instant of pain hit: "Ah -- aaah!"

But then it was over, and they were fine. More than fine, really; they felt different. The lingering hunger and exhaustion of their disturbed night were gone. They felt good, physically, in a way they hadn't in a long time. And they could see into the shadows around the shrine better ... There were other differences, too, they felt sure -- things they couldn't quite put their finger on yet. They'd learn those with time. And they had all the time in the world yet.

Cam grinned. "Thank you. I'm glad to be a part of your family."

- FIN

cameron ?