take this sinking boat and point it home
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 27 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

He draws his hand away and she feels like she's been slapped. Maeve presses her lips into a thin line, looking away from him as she tries to school her emotions, heart clenching in her chest. A shaky breath pushes past her lips as she attempts to center herself, unwilling to cry in front of him again, hating that this is the place they've ended up again. She said she would give him time, but what time was there? A war was coming in two years. Their baby would be here before that. There was so little time to prepare. They were already running out of it.

"She'd talk to you." Maeve says softly, lifting her shoulders in a shrug, going for nonchalance. Whether Seren would be nice about it was another story. The starchild wasn't overly thrilled with how things had gone between Maeve and Locke. The Nightshade wasn't thrilled either. Yet here they were. Nothing to be done for it now. Seren promised to be there to support her and she had no doubt that her friend would do just that. How she would handle Locke was something else entirely and Maeve didn't have an answer for him. "She's getting stronger. Done a lot of work for her mother." She continues to smooth her hand over her belly, trying to take comfort in the fluttering kicks she feels against her palm, but it's hard when her world feels like it's crumpling all over again.

Maeve draws in another breath, bottom lip catching between her teeth, gaze distant as she stares off ahead of her. "The girls will help. Ray, too. She's on our council. A healer. I imagine they'll be with me majority of the time." A newborn needed their mother and just because she was queen didn't change that fact. Her baby would have whatever they needed, whenever they needed and that was that. The next question isn't unexpected and it is something she's thought about. "Remi has offered protection in the Greatwood if it's needed. If I need to appeal to Safrin to keep them safe, then I will do that. Even if that means letting her take them to the stars. I'll do whatever I need to." It's said with a soft ferocity and she means it. She will do whatever it takes to keep her baby safe.
I'm undone about to burst at my seams
'Cause I am picturing you beside me
So let me be everything that you need
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
LOCKE

He really doubts it. Locke has a feeling he burned all of his bridges the second he told her to get out of his apartment. Maeve is a beautiful, charismatic person and Locke never had a chance. Not that he cares. He's gotten this far without anyone, right? He'll be fine. The attuned shifts a little in his seat, claws digging into the table for a moment before he schools himself. He really needs to figure out how to get this all under control. Really.

"I've met Ray. Once." His eyes flicker to the woman before back to the table. "I'm glad you have people. A council. Surround yourself with people that will help you." He wonders if there was a time when he would've been on it. Not that he has any wisdom to offer. Locke takes a deep breath, eyes closing as she talks. For some reason, the thought of Remi having his child, even just to protect it, irks him. Maybe it's that she doesn't think he's strong enough. Of course he isn't though. He is no dragon, no demi-god. He runs a hand through his hair before finally turning to look at her.

"I don't think giving a child to one of the gods is a good idea, honestly. Isn't this a war between the gods? Old and new? What makes you think the stars will be any safer?"
I know I was born and I know that I'll die
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 27 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

There is something about the sudden shift between them. The way he speaks, his tone, the cadence to his words that has her on edge. Maeve turns to look at him, eyes narrowing dangerously as her arm curls protectively around her belly, unable to help the instinctual reaction to shield this tender part of her. "Because the Voice cannot reach the Stars. That is Safrin's domain. It's where she kept Kamaria. It's where she kept Seren. Where she allowed them both to grow to be stronger." Despite the irritation curling through her veins, urging her to spit venom and lash out, she remains utterly calm. "The Voice can take over any of the Ascended. Any of them. Anytime, anywhere, and make them do whatever she wants. She could have Nate kill Kamaria and Sunjata in their beds."

Her eyes remain locked on him, a breath catching in her throat before she forces it out once more, licking her lips as her shoulders release some of their tension. "Safrin, Frey, or any one of them could keep them safe. The Voice has already caused enough death and destruction, taking lives that never asked to be turned, tearing apart families. Do you really think that Safrin or any of the others would want to see that happen to another family?"
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
LOCKE

His eyes narrow, slitted pupils where round ones should be. She's acting like his question is out of place. It's not. But he waits until she's done, trying to be good and actually listen to her. Every ounce of his blood sings to push her down, to hold her and force her to listen to what he's saying instead of filling in blanks that aren't there. The corner of his lip pulls back, revealing a fang as if he'd actually hurt her. He wouldn't, never, not physically at least. But he's irritated.

One, he didn't know about the whole thing with the stars, another with the Voice thing. As much as he likes Nate, he's suddenly worried. For a moment he had been excited to tell him about the baby but now? With Maeve tied so deeply to Safrin? It's not fear but anger that suddenly courses through his veins. Deeper than before, red hot. He's not ever going to let anyone touch his child, demi-god or otherwise.

The last bit almost makes him laugh but he doesn't feel like fighting with her. Not now, not before. He's so tired of it all. "Safrin, Frey, Ludo, they're all targets. What.. Makes you think she'd take our kid up there? Sure, her own kids but.." He's aware he's been.. wishy washy with all of this. He's aware of his friendship with Nate. He's not sure how much Maeve or Safrin know but.. Still. "I'm not trying to fight with you. I just think we should have a back up plan. If they won't help us. I know you're important to Safrin but.." Did she not tear apart Sunjata's family before? "I just think it's good to have options."
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve flinches despite herself as his pupils shift and his lip curls to reveal a fang. She doesn't think that he'll hurt her. Not really. The response is ingrained, though. He could hurt her if he wanted to. Maeve doesn't know why he would want to, but he could. She draws her bottom lip between her teeth, eyeing him warily as he bristles just as much as she does, his more obvious than her own. She doesn't have any predators sharing her skin, coming out in subtle ways when she's upset, all she has is herself.

"I don't know that she would, but I would beg her if I had to. I would do anything, Locke. Don't you understand? No matter what it took." And Safrin? Well, there were things that Safrin wanted. There were things that Safrin would take if it meant undying loyalty. Something Maeve would give her if it meant that their baby was safe. "What do you suggest then? Do you have another plan? Anything else to offer? Because right now I don't know what else I can do besides go to the gods and try." Her voice is strained, almost pleading, trying hard to figure out where his head was at.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

"Of course I don't have another plan. I just fucking found out. How could I? I'm going to try to get stronger, more powerful, whatever. To protect you both. But it's all I've got, okay? I just found out." It's more desperate than angry, than anything else really. Does she think he won't go to the ends of the earth for this kid? How lowly does she really think of him?

"I told you, I've got a lot of shit to sort out. That's part of it. I was planning on.. Going to Frey soon. For advice. Maybe they can suggest something." It doesn't feel right to offer up his child to a god. Doesn't feel right to make their choices before they're even born. But he supposes he might have to. So they can even have the choices to make.

A long pause as he looks down at the table, before he looks at her again. He holds his hand out, not in an offer to shake but to hold. "I want to do this with you. We'll figure it out together." He takes a slow, shaky breath, "As parents. Partners. I don't know about lovers but... I'll be there, okay? For both of you." Does she understand?
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

They both wanted the same thing. They wanted their baby to be safe. That much was clear, but neither of them could manage to focus long enough to realize that. Not when there was so much going on between them. So many things left unsaid and so many desires denied. They were distracted whether they wanted to admit it or not.

A frustrated breath pushes past her lips and she cards a hand through her curls, the other arm still wrapped protectively around her middle. "I'm scared, Locke. I'm trying to figure it out and keep them safe, but I'm just one person. I don't have magic or shifts or anything like that." Her voice trembles dangerously now and there is more she wants to say, but it dies on the tip of her tongue. Likely for the best. There is still poison that wishes to lace through her words, but she doesn't want to fight anymore. Not before, not now, not ever. Not with him.

His hand reaches out for hers and she hesitates for only aoment before letting hers slip into his. He somehow manages to comfort her and wound her all at once. Parents, partners, but likely not lovers. It wasn't what she wanted. When she said she wanted him to come home it was to come back to her, to their baby, to be a proper family again. It's not what she really wants, but it's what he's giving her and it's all she has to go on. "Okay.." Maeve finally says softly, voice barely above a whisper as she dares to peek up at him from beneath tear soaked lashes.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

There's a lot they need to talk about, a lot of things on the tip of their tongues. But now isn't the time or the place and he wishes she understood. It won't be long before he's back, it won't be long before they can do this properly, like they deserve. Like their kid deserves. The corner of his mouth quirks up, an 'I know'. Because he does know. He's scared out of his mind. She may not have shifts or magic but Safrin clearly cares about her. Taking their kid to the stars or not, the goddess doesn't seem to choose favor lightly. And not with someone who is weak.

She takes his hand, teary eyed as she might be and he offers her a smile. "I'm a fuck up in a lot of ways, Mae, but I won't be a deadbeat, I promise." He smooths his thumb over her knuckles, lacing their fingers together for a moment because he's greedy before letting go. "Tell me more about your plans for Torchline. I'd like to help, when I get back, if I can. Turns out I'm pretty good at using a shovel." He's less worried about physically being able to help and more worried about her not wanting him there but hey, he can pretend.
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

This isn't the time or place at all, but there had been so much on her mind. So many things that needed to be said. It was impossible to keep it all to herself when she saw him. Impossible not to tell him, hoping beyond hope that he would hear what she had to say and come home, but he wasn't coming home. Not yet. When he did and only then would they possibly be able to make something together. A stable home for their child. When he came home. Not if. When. Then they could figure it out. They could talk.

His words are comforting. It was one of the few promises he would make for her. She knew that. Maeve sniffles, reaching up to wipe away the tears that slip down her cheeks despite her best efforts to keep them at bay, letting him tether her here with the grip on her hand. He pulls back before she can sink into it further and it's likely for the best despite how much it hurts. She manages a small smile for him, drawing herself up a bit straighter, daring a glance around to make sure no one is looking at them and they aren't, too busy with each other to pay them any mind.

"We've already gotten our regional quest from Safrin. We have a fountain in the Court and we've requested for it to have healing properties. Aurelia will be taking a group to gather unicorns and bring them back to Torchline. I'm supposed to go to Frey's Breath with two others to collect water. If you would like to help with that..?" Maeve asks with an arched brow, head cocking to the side as she shifts slightly towards him, turning a bit more in her seat. "It isn't using a shovel, but you're pretty good at carrying things too. Right?"
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

So many thoughts run through his head. How much he still loves her, how much he misses touching her, how stupid he is for all of this. He's got the rest of the Ark trip to figure out how to explain it all to her in a way she understands. For now, he just wants to talk, even if just casually, as friends, like they used to do. Maybe they can still be friends. Probably wishful thinking but can't blame a guy for hoping.

He doesn't say any of it because as stupid as he is, he's not that dumb. Instead he gives her a soft, albeit sad, smile as they pull apart. He leans on his hand, no longer hiding the way he looks at her as she talks. No matter where this goes, she'll always be his first love and the mother of his kid and he can't help the little bits that slip out. "Unicorns, huh? And a healing fountain. Damn. Did you think that up? Aurelia seems more like the 'build a ballista' kinda gal."

His eyebrow raises when she offers for him to join her. An old habit, a smirk spreads across his face and he leans up, about to flex his arms when he stops himself. Oh. He licks his lips, a slight flush to his cheeks as he suddenly goes back to how he was sitting. "Yeah. Uh. Yeah. Good at carrying things too." Flirting isn't okay anymore. As much as he wishes it was.
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It isn't odd to have his eyes on her again. If anything, it's comforting in a way. A familiar presence beside her. Warm and real. Maeve still loves him. She loves him so much. Even if he doesn't choose her. She will always love him. So he watches her as she talks and Maeve simply enjoys it. "I don't really know why we need the unicorns. I know they have healing capabilities, but Safrin didn't exactly say what they were for." Her head cocks to the side, brows knitting together as she tries to puzzle it out for a minute before letting the thought pass with a shrug of her shoulders.

A soft laugh pushes past her lips, mind flitting to Aurelia and her smile grows a fraction, "I know she seems the type, but we actually came up with it together. We thought after everything that Torchline needed a chance to heal." It was something important to both of them. The fountain wouldn't just heal physical wounds, but things that ailed their minds too. "We want to focus on this first. Then we'll shift our attention to the more offensive things."

Her eyes lift to him after making her offer, arching a brow at the sudden flush on his cheeks, but then it clicks into place. How many times he effortlessly lifted her an it's only made more clear by the slight flex of his arms as he shifts, intending to show off for her, but he stops halfway through. Maeve licks her lips, bottom one catching between her teeth in an old habit, but she tries to push the sudden rush of hormones down. "Very good at carrying things as far as I remember." Maeve apparently hasn't gotten the memo about flirting. To be fair, it's second nature at this point and she's not sure she could keep from doing it even if she wanted to.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

"Is it.. Unicorn piss that's healing? Maybe it'll be a piss fountain." He snorts, shaking his head before straightening up. "Oh wait, no. Its their tears? Maybe you gotta make them cry into the fountain. Or something." A fountain full of unicorn tears doesn't really sound.. better than a piss fountain and he can't quite place why. He shrugs back, her guess is as good as his.

He hums softly, "Yeah? Seems right. Nothing else set on fire since I've been gone, right?" Save for the mutterings of goings on in Halo, it seems like Torchline has been just kind of.. Chilling. Well, and getting two new queens. "I don't even know what you'd do offensively for Torchline. At least not against The Voice.. Make it permanently day time? Set off the volcano?" He shudders at the thought, clicking his tongue quietly.

She catches him and seems to flirt back and he isn't sure how to deal with it. "Yeah." He looks down at the table, picking at the grain for a moment before looking back up at her. "Oh! I wanted to show you something." He sits back, rolling up his sleeve as much as he can and holding his right arm out to her. There's part of a snake tattoo there, coiling up his arm. The rest of it is hidden behind his sleeve. "I've got another one but I'd have to take my shirt off to show you." Is this flirting?
The in-between is mine
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve can't help the face she makes, wincing at the suggestion and shaking her head, "Gods, no. I would certainly hope not. That's disgusting." She huffs, looking a bit green now that the idea has been thrown out there and for a moment she worries she might get sick again, stomach turning roughly. "It's their horns. They can be used for healing, but they also have magic. They're unicorns." Maeve finally says, pushing the idea of piss and tears out of her head, refusing to focus on that any longer.

She snorts, shaking her head, "No, nothing else has been set on fire. Probably for the best." Maeve can't help the slight wince, reaching out to grab one of the drinks set on the table, taking a small sip of it before she's looking over at him once more. Torchline had found some peace all things considered. Maeve hoped that they could keep it that way for the foreseeable future. "I'm not sure. I bet there are options, though." They could likely come up with something. There had been many ideas that they were throwing around and Maeve was certain that they could manage to come up with something to help defend their region from the Voice.

It's stilted and awkward. Neither of them knowing how to handle this new dynamic. Both of them used to simply existing a certain way with one another. He's changing the subject, bringing their attention to something else and Maeve blinks, eyes watching the way he rolls his sleeve up, widening at the sight of the tattoo. "Well, look at you. Run off for half a season and get a new tattoo. Aren't you a rebel." Her eyes trace over the snake, noting how similar it is to the one that covers her ribs and part of her wants to reach out to trail across his skin, but she isn't sure if that's even allowed. "You've taken off your shirt for much less. Hell, you used to barely wear one." Maeve shoots back easily, ignoring the fact that she very much wants to see the tattoo that's hidden beneath the fabric for reasons that have nothing to do with the tattoo and everything to do with the body that it's on.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

Her reaction is exactly what he wanted, honestly. A grin cracks across his face and he nudges her lightly. "I'm sure Safrin, of all the gods, has something more elegant planned for them." He wonders if he'll be around for it. He's never seen a unicorn properly.. He wonders if their meat is any good. He'd probably be slaughtered for trying it though.

Nothing yet. But Maeve seems less likely to make enemies than her cohort or the prior governor. He inhales slowly, shaking his head. "I have a feeling things are going to get worse before they get better. It's been nice, though, the calm." At least for Torchline. Seems there is chaos in other lands but that doesn't concern him at all. He has no stake in their games beyond how it may affect Maeve and the baby. "Plenty. I just hope it doesn't come down to hunting the Ascended." He mutters the last part to himself, well aware they aren't allowed to the little event. He's not sure if he's too sympathetic to the enemy but he can't help himself.

All of that aside, her question makes him raise an eyebrow. He gestures vaguely to the people around them, "One, it's cold and two, there's people around. As much as I' sure some of them would enjoy the view.." He gives her a grin though, turning back to look at the table, flush spread across his cheeks. "Maybe when I get back." He's already having a hard time keeping his hands off her. Something about knowing she's going to have his kid.. Probably some kind of hormones or something.
The in-between is mine