I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

While technically the goal had been accomplished, failure to capture the usurpers was a blow to the ego.

And something she needs to speak to the Voice about. Ideas ran rampant through her head, until she felt like a tinkerer, a builder, an alchemist. Invigorated by an idea and what might be possible, the room she’d commandeered is littered with sketches until her chicken scratches feel like the right one.

Rolling it up, she tucks it into a pocket and heads for the Climb shrine - where she might be sure of secrecy and surprise and an entirely private conversation. The General wastes no time, because who knows when retaliation might strike either the Grounds or Halo. They were sure to have pissed off a number of people.

The Wraith burns with a familiar, vibrant energy and, armed with points to attempt to convince the Voice if need be, takes the quickest path to the obsidian-lined room in the mountains. It really is an underrated shrine, she thinks again, with a moment to appreciate her brother’s handiwork before speaking up. “Lady, thank you again for taking the time with Sah. I didn’t anticipate returning to see you so quickly - but there was something during the fight for Halo that struck me and has been on my mind for awhile. I have an idea that might… make the playing field more level.”

How do you fight a manticore? A dragon? With something just as big, and just as fierce and just deadly. Something they will not expect and will not think to prepare for.

----------

Turning in a quest for a mythical shift!

WESSEX
She whispered back, I am the storm

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
the Voice
The Voice appears and as she does so, electricity dazzles off of obsidian and ice alike. The room glows brilliantly for a moment before dimming to a more reasonable brightness, revealing the Voice sitting upon the shrine with her hands folded in her lap.

"The victory over Halo I think will prove quite telling, in time." She says with an electric smile. "How clever the follower of the old gods think they are. What bullies, to assault the Warden in her throne room. And then, to expect such a thing to go without challenge?" She tuts and shakes her head. "Such is their ego. But you acted swiftly and decisively, and look how quickly they scuttled into the darkness." Clearly pleased, she smiles and nods.

"What is your idea?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Basking in the light of her Lady’s electric praise, Wessex nods along until it’s mentioned that they scuttled into the darkness. Pursing her lips, the General knows where to begin and though she also knows she doesn’t have to justify her thoughts in the regular way (such is the generous love of the Voice), she will do so anyway.

“I wish they hadn’t been able to escape. Knowing now that one was pregnant with Remi’s child, it’s probably for the best but - nevertheless.” Cutting herself off, Wessex refocuses on why she’s here. “We couldn’t chase them across the skies or chase them down as animals, even at night. There are some shifts that we just aren’t suited to go up against, and I think everyone knows that flying is one way to escape. So - what if we could fly?”

Taking the paper out of her pocket, she unfurls it and turns, coming in close to allow the Voice to look over her shoulder as she explains what is probably obvious. “If I could be a bird - but a bird of your design, putting the best of both worlds together. See, the metal in my arms expanding out - skeleton growing and shifting so I could carry my siblings.” A necessity, not needing to reply on a dragon shift or anyone else’s good will. “Wings with blades for feathers. Razor sharp talons. I have all the optical upgrades already, could easily keep that kind of sharp eyesight.”

And of course, the part that makes her most happy: “Every easily accessible part more or less metal. No need to worry about a manticore’s sting, or another predator’s claws.” Turning her head to the Voice, she is now a little more hesitant. Anything can be done with time, she once said and Wessex firmly believes that. But is it good enough?

WESSEX

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
the Voice
The Voice nods in agreement with Wessex's views on the matter. "True. Though had the child or its mother been killed, he would have only Safrin to blame for her manipulations." Which would have been fine, if they could trust Ludo's pet to think rationally about things.

The notion of flying is easy enough, and just as the Voice is about to suggest ways in which it could be done, Wessex is presenting her own designs. Leaning forward with her eyes narrowed, the Voice will look suddenly unlike anything Wessex has ever seen. Suddenly more corporeal, more engaged, more lively. Creation and bettering her designs is what had motivated her for millennia, and now, with a new challenge presented, her interests are very much piqued.

In the air between them, a large bird suddenly shimmers. Metallic black with feathers that are razor-sharp, lift comes not from the beating of wings, but air propulsion. The biomechanics are simply not necessary for flight and besides, Wessex wouldn't be limited by the physics of other avian creatures. "Weight might be an issue..." The Voice murmurs to herself. "And organ displacement...mmm..." Blinking herself back into the moment, she sits up properly as electricity blurs her form once more.

"I will need a bit of time to think over this, but it is absolutely something I think we can work toward. Until then, you will need to become more familiar with what it is to fly and be in other bodies." Wessex has borrowed shifts before, but this would need to be much more intentional.

Wessex has been given a quest! She must

1. Practice flying, whether from a borrow shift or some other means
2. Complete 2 training threads completely shifted. One thread should be focused on attacking, and the other on defending.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

It’s true, she’d never seen their Lady like this; she’d always been kind and attentive, but for a moment, Wessex is elated to see her this interested in something she’d come up with.

Turning quickly to see the projection between them, the demigod takes a couple of steps back, and then circles the image on three sides, marveling at both the projection and the elegance that hadn’t been on her paper. “It’s beautiful,” she whispers - almost to it instead of either of the two present. Called back into the moment just as abruptly, her eyes fly to the sitting goddess and she nods, understanding the instructions.

And of course, she knows she’s burned many of those bridges, so this would be… a bit more of a challenge than intended. But it would give the Voice plenty of time to think. “I look forward to it -” she says with a fanged grin, clearly excited despite identifying an initial obstacle. “Thank you - can’t wait to be your guinea pig.” And with a slight chuckle, the Wraith dips her head in a respectful farewell before leaving the shrine.

{Fin}

WESSEX