follow the moon
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Love, let's talk about love
A brightening of the sky far off on the horizon announced the passing of midnight and approach of dawn long before the stars began to fade. It was still dark enough, still night enough for the wind to be cool and brisk as it swept in from the sea. Tattered remnants of clouds raced over the sky, obscuring the moon until it was little more than a hazy disc hovering just on the edge of the water. Soon to disappear into a watery grave. Soon.

The rain that had passed earlier had soaked the sand of the beach. Music was made by water dripping off leaves and plants, and somewhere further inland flowering shrubs spread a fragrance of jasmine and hydrangea to mingle with the salty sea breeze. As she roamed along the shoreline and let the cold waves bite at her feet, Seren kept watching the descent of the moon. Fascinated with the deep crimson it had taken on once the storm broke, like some omen of things to come. Beautiful, terrible.

It was cold. She was tired. Yet she kept returning to the sea, to the beaches of her homeland, driven by some nameless impulse she could not place. The lights of Haulani glimmered far off in the distance, promising warm beds and the company of friends if only she sought them out.

But her eyes were fixed on the moon, and she hardly noticed when the tide began to turn and soaked the hem of her plain white dress up to the knees.
Is it anything and everything you hoped for?
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2895
Sah

Sah trudged through the sand, Lilly at his heels. Even if he wasn't physically tired, the deep ache of exhaustion was present in his bones. One born of the mental and emotional strain of the last week. Eyes on the fading stars, the Abandoned questioned how yet again his world had been turned upside down. Just as he was getting comfortable in Halo, any and all security was yanked from his grasp yet again. It was maddening.

Lilly nudged his knee as they walked, trying to offer some manner of comfort. Both wolf and Outlander were unused to the sand and heat of Torchline. Though Sah would admit that the place was beautiful. The colors, the water, the stars and bright sky. It had it's charms. But it wasn't Halo. Stuck in his stormy thoughts, he didn't recognize the figure on the sand until he drew closer. Once he did, some of the shadows dimmed, leaving exhaustion in their wake. "Seren?"
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Without Umbra nearby to pay heed for her, the girl wandered blind in the night, aimless and clueless. Gone off somewhere to hunt, the dragon's presence was but a whisper at the back of her mind. A warm weight of blue shadow that occasionally niggled and stirred, but otherwise remained silent. Intent as she was on the sea and the scenery, she did not realize that she had company until her name was spoken. Startled, she whipped around and stared wide eyed at the young man, hardly believing her own eyes.

"Sah!" In a few quick stride she left the cold water and hurried to meet him. A few paces away she suddenly stopped and stilled, tense as a wound coil ready to spring; fleeting emotions flickered so quickly across her face that they were gone before ever. Blue eyes, made deep and unfathomable in the dark of the night, kept roaming over his frame. At least there was no mistaking the worry there, or the relief upon finding him hale, and whole.

"You're... alright?" A tentative question, followed by a quick glance to the young wolf by his feet. Some times it was easier to tell Sah's moods by Lilly's behavior than reading his face.
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah

Sah managed a small smile, Seren's clear concern making him feel a bit better. Before he could speak though, Lilly gave a soft whine, coming forward to greet the Demi-god with far less enthusiasm then normal. Sighing, Sah ran a hand through his hair. "It's been a long week.. week and a half...two weeks?" He noted, honestly struggling to place just how long ago the initial coup was. It had been a blur since.

Sah did however notice Seren's shift in body language, and his brows pinched in concern. "And you? Are you ok? Did something happen?" His eyes scanned for any obvious injury, wondering if he had missed anything. Coming up short, he glanced at Seren with a hint of confusion.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Whatever reticence Seren was feeling didn't seem to extend to the companion. Leaning down as Lilly came over, she cupped her hands around the pup's head and ran soothing fingers through the thick fur. Already she had grown so much larger than last time they met - it would not take long before all the legginess and the shaggy summer fur was traded for winter coats and sleek elegance.
"Sweet girl," she said softly, her soft voice sweet and barely more than a whisper. "It's been a long journey too, hasn't it. All the way across the Climb... I don't envy you that." She glanced up at Sah, met his gaze - and quickly looked back down at Lilly again, on seeing the confusion in his expession.

"I'm fine. Just... I was worried. Ever since Deimos letter arrived, and I couldn't reach you..." Many sleepless nights had been spent tossing and turning, wondering what might befall her friends while she sat safe behind high walls. Seren drew in a deep breath, and straightened up. Forced herself to stop hiding behind the wolf cub. "I'm sorry, Sah. I'm so sorry, this should never have been allowed to happen."

The guilt she felt did not improve anything, and her hands tightened in the skirts. Small fists withholding a barrage of apologies as if that might make her less responsible for her friends pain.
SEREN
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Lilly gave Seren a small wag of her tail, not having enough enthusiasm for more then that. The pup was nearly fully grown just as Seren noted. Just another month or so into the next season and Lilly would be as large as a companion wolf could grow. Sah was still going to be picking her up constantly however. He'd never stop holding Lilly when he had the chance.

The Abandoned gave a nod in acknowledgment. "It was tiring. But Cordelia's luxere shift made it easier. She's my cousin through the family that took me in." He explained but then paused, sighing a little. "I'm sorry to have worried you. Everything happened so fast. But Lilly, the others, and I, were all ok." He attempted to reassure her.

The apology would have been waved off, but Seren's last statement had an odd note to it. Sah's eyes narrowed, trying to read the emotion on Seren's face. Sadness, not surprising. Concern and worry, expected. Upset, reasonable. Guilt? Sah's eyes sharpened, the pieces falling into place. The fact that Seren and Deimos were exchanging letters. The fact that the Abandoned already suspected Deimos to have some manner of involvement in the initial coup given that he aided Hotaru in attaching Torchline.

Sah's tone dropped a bit, taking on a slight edge. "Seren. What was supposed to happen?"
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"It's not your fault," Seren mumbled. "Of course it isn't. You were in the middle of this, and I..." She bit her jaws together. Looked away, out at the sea.

But she was a little late in doing so. Keen eyes were watching her much too closely, attuned enough to her expressions by now to pick out the slip. Sah's tone made the girl falter, and her arms came up to wrap around herself. For a moment, at least.

Then, she straightened and lifted her chin in an almost defiant gesture, as she turned to face the hunter.
"Halo was supposed to be aligned with the Old Gods. For his part in burning Torchline, this was the task Safrin gave Deimos. Morgan's 'neutrality' is a sham because of her relationship with Neron, and my Mother wished for her to be replaced. Deimos does not want to rule, and so he made Hotaru take the spotlight instead. She has done it before, and knows the task.

"When Hotaru became pregnant, and because they did not want to bring unnecessary harm to the Citadel or to Morgan, they asked for my help."

Pausing, Seren sucked in a breath. Tense, fearing his reaction - but it was too late to stop now. "I agreed to help them, since it was a task given by my mother and goddess."
SEREN
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah grit his teeth, eyes narrowed. "Of course it was." The hunter paced slightly, unable to keep still with the agitation building in him. "Seren, you you know why Halo's neutrality was so important?

He didn't give her a chance to guess, as he jumped straight into it. "The Draig on one side, the Climb on the other. The tundra dividing it from Torchline. It's isolated, protected from all attacks except aerial ones. It's the perfect place for those seeking to wait out the war to seek sanctuary. Those from all sides who were too young, too old, too tired, or too compassionate to witness war.  The only place that even had a shot at neutrality, of being a haven for them. That is what Halo was and had the potential to be."

Sah let out a frustrated growl. "Of course, it being so defensible, it has he potential to be a fortress. One that blocks entry to the Draig and Climb if that's where the relics are." He ran a hand through his hair, frustration clear. "I get that you and Deimos were doing what your Goddess ordered you to do. And that saying no to your god isn't easy or even possible sometimes."

Sah rounded on Seren, eyes meeting hers. "But you need to understand the consequences of what's happened, that by declaring Halo for the Old Gods, all chances of neutrality are gone. Halo is now a territory to conquer and gain control of in this war. No matter what leader takes it, no matter their intentions or goals, it will not be able to stay neutral. Now leaders will look at it and consider it as either theirs or about to be claimed by their enemy. No one will allow it to be neutral. There will be no place for those seeking sanctuary to go."

The Outlander practically begged the Demi-god to understand the severity of what had happened, what she'd helped trigger. Sah's shoulders fell a bit, exhaustion creeping in. "I get that you'll likely never be able to go against your mother's orders or wishes. But please, consider the consequences before you do something so severe. Please. You can't go into a war blindly following orders."
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
She stood straightbacked and rigid under his tirade, saying nothing until he had finished. The way he growled at her made Seren's eyes narrow, but that too was tolerated - she chalked it up to old habit and let it pass. This time.

"You speak under the presumption that Halo could ever be neutral," she replied coolly, "but that's an illusion, Sah. Have you heard of Mageglass? It is a material that can amplify magical abilities. The Fangs is perhaps the only place in Caido where it can be found, and whoever possesses that resource will gain an absolute advantage in this war.

"Halo can never be allowed to remain neutral. It was always going to be a target, far more than any other location. If the Voice and her supporters were to occupy the region, can you imagine what it would be like?"

The demi-goddess's face might be calm, but her eyes were afraid as she spoke, and she kept staring straight at Sah, more serious than he had ever seen her before.
"Ascended do not need to eat, or sleep. They do not feel pain, and the cold does not bother them. If they were to close off the exit to the Climb and tampered with the portal, they could barricade themselves within Halo and become nigh impossible to touch. Pair that with an endless supply of the most dangerous substance on this continent, and you will have a war that lasts over decades, or is over in a week."

Her hands kept kneading the fabric of the skirt, damp and heavy from soaking in the water. The chill of the wind was making her shiver faintly, but Seren paid it no heed.

"You think I walked into this blindly? I assure you, I've had more time than you know to consider this war and my role in it. I may never have fought on a battlefield or seen what you have, but don't you dare imply that I walked into this without considering the consequences. I knew what I was doing when I accepted the request, and I did it because my involvement reduced the risk of lives being lost in the process of removing Morgan from her seat."

In the end, Seren had not been needed. Her wolves had been an afterthought, a little flair added to emphasise Hotaru's words, and nothing more. But even so she accepted the responsibility of her action. To a point.
SEREN
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah sighed, turning tired eyes on the Demi-god as he listened. "I didn't know about the mageglass deposit. I knew there was some in Hao, but I didn't realize it was such a readily available, mineable resource." He admitted, already beginning to see the bloodshed that was undeniably in Halo's future. It made him anxious to get Aino and the family out.

Seren's anxious looking fiddling had the Abandoned  gritting his teeth. She absolutely had a point. "Dammit. I hear you. I'm sorry for assuming. Sometimes I forget that no matter how inexperienced, you've been raised for this." He chuckled mirthlessly. "Bit hypocritical of me." Really, of all people he should understand the feeling of being underestimated. Of being seen as inexperienced and naïve. Sah hadn't given the Demi-god enough credit. He'd be sure to do so in the future.

Sah gave his friend a small melancholy smile. "Just, if it's possible, next time try to give me a heads up? You know before you turn my home upside down?"

The Outlander was about to say something else to lighten the tension when his jaw snapped shut, pieces clicking into place. Finally taking a moment to think, the image painted for Halo and for the war became blatantly clear. Eyes meeting Seren's, his were grave.

"Halo is in serious trouble then. The fact that Hotaru defied tradition and took wardenship without election caused a bit of strive and division in Halo. It's the very thing that Morgan was emphasizing in her speech to regain support from the citizens.  And it might just work. I get that your plan was likely the most efficient, but that hole in it? It's too glaring. Your plan has resulted in Morgan having a strong advantage in getting Halo under her command. And given that the Ascended helped her to do it? Even if Morgan was genuine and truly intends for Halo to be neutral, that debt alone will stop it.  A debt that great will either be payed or she'll die."

Sah snarled under his breath. "They'll force her to do what they want. Whether that be giving them mageglass or flat out swearing Halo to the Voice's side. Morgan won't be in a position to say no. Not if she wants to keep her position, maybe even her life, and likely not even if she just wants Halo safe. Fucking hell, after everything that's happened Halo won't be taken peacefully. Any chance of that is gone. It's going to take a bloodbath now for either side to secure it."The Abandoned spoke with equal fury and grief, but his eyes were steely. Sah was all but already seeing the coming carnage.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
She har not expected him to so readily accept her words, and the lack of crackback made Seren falter where she stood. Some of the stiffness drained from her posture, and the lines around her eyes smoothed into something warmer. Like gratitude, or maybe relief. At least, until that last request - it had a barb to it that made her flinch more than anything Sah had said so far.

"If I can, I will," she replied faintly, dropping her gaze to the ground. "I tried to keep things fair. I made Hotaru promise to take on a co-lead... It was supposed to be an election, but... well, you saw how it went." Perhaps people would have chosen Noah. Perhaps not. They wouldn't know now.

"Well. You're not entirely wrong. There have been a Warden before who wasn't elected - Neron, the Hailstorm. He was put in place by Eirachi, but the people removed him when his deal with the Voice broke some pact with the seasonal goddess and the Citadel was attacked." No doubt Sah had heard as much - it was common knowledge by now, even if some details were unclear. "The real issue is that there aren't enough able fighters that can stave off invasions. Even if Noah and Hotaru went to reclaim the seat, it might just repeat itself. That's what Deimos says, anyway."

Wrapping her arms about herself against the chill wind, she shifted her feet, aching with unusual chill. "And there's not enough incentive to draw people in with, even with the improvements of barriers and greenhouses. At least not yet. I've been trying to think of something, but... I don't have any answers. Not yet."

It was clear Seren was not about to let go of the matter however, though the didn't know if that was a good thing in Sah's eyes or not.
SEREN
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

The Outlander sat down in the sand beside the Demi-god, some of the tension bleeding out of him. Sah gave Seren a small, warm smile "And that's all I can ask."

Seren's notion of improving Halo's forces got a hum from the Abandoned. "If you think of something, I'd be willing to help." His lips twitched slightly. "Anything to better the lives of those in Halo. As for fighters, that'll be harder. Survival up there is a full-time job for most. If you want more fighters, you need to find a way to ensure that they can fight without losing everything in their absence. The greenhouse was a great start for that. Other means to secure food and shelter would be great steps." Sah chuckled, a slight grin appeared. "And given that Whitebrim is all but gone now, there is more real estate available for newcomers."

Sah then turned curious, and slightly worried eyes on his friend. "Last time we spoke.. there was something eating at you. Do you want to talk about it now?" There were things he wanted to discuss as well. But the Abandoned was still working up his nerve somewhat.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"Mmh, if I think of something." Though what any of them could do or implement when Morgan was in charge was beyond Seren. As Sah sat down, she let her own legs fold and sank down onto the sand, keeping her distance and drawing the skirt close to herself. Cold and damp it may be, but at least now she could tuck her cold feet in beneath herself. Sah might find this weather warm but to her it was a reminder of the changing seasons, of time inevitably slipping between her fingers.

He changed the subject then, and this time there was no mistaking the flinch, or the way her shoulders shot up beneath the ears. "I... yes, I suppose now is as good a time as ever." Dragging restless fingers through the hair and promptly getting stuck on tangled curls, Seren sighed. Her jaws clamped shut, muscles working beneath the smooth, freckled skin... It was difficult to know where to begin.

"What... do you know about Stormbreak?" she asked eventually.
SEREN
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah

Sah's eyes snapped to Seren's at the obvious flinch. Concern welled up in him and he hated that he didn't know what was wrong. The Demi-god's clear physical distance during this entire interaction left him wondering if the flinch was fully due to the question. Or if it was because of him. He really hoped it wasn't the latter. If it was, he'd have to ask. They'd promised to let each other know if they were uncomfortable after all.

Going under the assumption that it was the former, Sah eyed Seren with concern as he answered. "Not much. Only that it's mostly Accepted and generally the region most favored by the Old Gods. And that it's where the Dragoons are. That's pretty much it." The Abandoned had already knows that something was up there however. "And I know that something there makes you not even want to return sometimes." He added.

That had been a rather shocking realization for the Abandoned. The idea that something in the God's favorite place would be driving a loyal Demi-god away? Nothing good came to mind and Sah had a feeling that all of the possibilities he'd considered weren't even scraping the surface.
My soul is in the sky
-William Shakespeare