(SE) give me my last cigarette
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
i am on a journey to discover what it's like to be free of all my demons
As a dragon, once again, Sunjata’s met Nate at the Hollowed Grounds before trekking into the Woodlands – a space Sunjata hasn’t inhabited in some time. Today, however, he arrives as a dragon, prepared to watch the bark of the trees, waiting to see whether a branch or two move to try and trap him and his husband. I think it’s this way. He rumbles mentally, something about his tone almost distanced, distracted. Distracted in a lot of ways – Hotaru, the task for Safrin, the fact they’re in the Grounds, the fact his husband’s missing half his hair for a reason he doesn’t quite know about but he does know that Nate’s head is bandaged up quite well and quite completely.

His wings are drawn in tight as he peers around for anything of note, trying to seem smaller despite the large bulk of his presence. So I thought I might tell you a ghost story from Korofi, if that’s something you think would be fun? He asks idly, almost as if he’s testing Nate – testing to see whether he was coherent enough to understand, if he was coherent enough to respond. Was it a bad idea to have brought him out here to face the wicker woman? Perhaps. I’m a dragon, he thinks, certainly I can handle a wicker woman.

Almost as if in answer, the dragon rumbles a quiet thrumming growl as Sunjata loosens his hold on it a fraction, keen eyes watching for movement.
SUNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NATE

The world is sharp, and bright, and loud. Especially right now. Nate knows he can’t feel pain, but there’s still a pressure, a thrumming behind his eyes and above his teeth, insistent enough to make him grind his jaw. It’s softer when he finds Sunjata, even with the scaly form he wraps himself in today.

Y’think it is?” Nate drifts closer towards his husbands draconic form, two hands coming up but only one actually connecting. His weight sags against Sunjata, an attempt to close the distance between them. “What izzit we’re lookin’ for again?” His voice drips syrupy with his accent, exhaustion weighing down the syllables that manage to escape it.

It’s been a while since Nate felt safe, but here, in the Grounds, with Sunjata, he feels invincible, something he tries to share through from his broken glass half of the bond. Pemota follows close to them, a buzz of quiet concern that Nate waves away as often as he leans against it.

Ghost story, huh?” He grins, brightening so much he almost seems whole and hearty again. “I know this trick.” Lust and love war in Nate, the aftermath of the battle oozing towards Sunjata in a confusing blur of want and violence, of hunger in ways too deep to be described. “Show me what you got!” Comes the challenge, just as earnest as it had been atop the waterfall. His teeth bare, the growl taken as a challenge instead of the protective rumble it was. Why would he need to be protected?
i love those quiet moments in the dark
where you can stop pretending
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Think so. He reiterates, acutely aware of just how off Nate is. But he doesn’t ask, knowing better than to bring it up at the start of something – no, it was easier to wait until the job was done, the stories told, loosening his husband up before he dives into the gritty bits of it. At least Sunjata in this moment has his head on right, even if it was horned and scaled and huge. The dragon leans into his husband’s hand, though, a wing opening and slipping down and over Nate’s shoulders as a cape of sorts, to offer support and another limb to lean against. A wicker woman. He adds on. Need some sap. If only it was that easy, though.

Nothing usually was just that easy.

The steel eye focuses on Nate, at the grin that spreads and sprawls across his husband’s face, and the dragon snorts a hint of amusement at the blurring sensation that drifts across the bond, the dragon casting a glance to Pemota as if he can hear the eyes rolling in her head as Nate waves her off. Regardless, he focuses on his husband as he peers at the branches, waiting for one to start curling inward. That’s how they worked, right? Or were they more of the thrashing type?

Anyway. Okay, okay. A chuckle leaves him, still lumbering through slowly. So, Korofi flooded a lot, right? It’s why we had our swim tests and things like that… Anyway, there was a rumor that a creature lived either within the drains or deep below the surface of the river, that only came out during the worst of the floods. And it would search the edges of the flooded rivers to the streets, wandering and looking to each drain and riverbank to see if there were offerings left for them… He pauses. The first few times, there was nothing. And somehow, those families that lived closest to the rivers would end up losing people left and right to the river. One time, someone thought they could hear something squelching through the window, dragging a screaming man through it and down into the floodwaters. Here he pauses, waiting to see if Nate’s still with him.

They searched for weeks after the rain let up but they never found the man nor any of his remains. A few years later, everyone started leaving trinkets out. Food, jewelry, whatever they could get their hands on. And for a few decades things were quiet. Here he pauses again. We started calling it the Modderlong. People used to say it looked like a piece of wood, like a giant log that would come alive to drown those that offended it. But nobody could ever find it. He slows his steps now, turning just enough to pause and stare face to face with Nate, his long head craning toward his husband, his snout rising to press a loving touch to Nate’s chest. Can you guess when the rumors said it started to get active again?
SUNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE

Wicker woman. Sap.” Nate retreats the words steadily, pressing more against Sunjata as a wing wraps around him. He turns to his husband and offers a wink. “Got it.” The pressure and steadiness are both appreciated, glue stick balms that hold together the popsicle stick house of his mind. None of it is steady, but as long as you don’t touch it too much, it’s fine. His hand stretches out, dragging along the tips of dying branches.

But then, then they’re telling ghost stories, a subject that holds Nate’s attention unlike any other. He’s something of a connoisseur, a fact that he doesn’t broadcast to Sunjata in words so much as feelings, a certain expectation carrying over.  

From the beginning, Nate’s hooked. He can see it all in his minds eye, laid out perfect like a silver screen picture. The floods, the rains, the drama of something yet unseen, shifting in the swirling shadows. Then the screams, as victims were dragged away into the darkness, as empty beds were found in the morning. Oh, Nate is with him alright, an involuntary shiver running down his spine.

Sunjata continues, describing trinkets and tributes left to some lost god of the floods, pleas for a creature beyond nature to have mercy. Maybe he’s letting his imagination run wild, but Nate just can’t help himself. He slows naturally along with Sunjata, not seeming to even notice as he brings to mind some beast with gnarled, rootlike horns, long and sleek and angry.

What did the rumours say? His arms wrap around Sunjata’s snout, Nate leaning in to better meet the great slotted eyes. He is utterly transfixed, hook and worm both stuck somewhere in his gullet.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Whatever is wrong with Nate has the added bonus of loosening the hold on the bond. There’s feelings and glimpses of Nate’s imagination that slip through that Sunjata latches onto in his curiosity above all else. The dragon snorts at the imagery of the rootlike horns, the angry stance the creature has taken. And he’s not entirely wrong in his assumptions, after all; nobody had seen the Modderlong.

So he stops still eventually, Nate’s arms wrapped around his snout, the Attuned pressing forward to press the end of his muzzle into Nate’s shoulder, slipping forth to blow a puff of air against the Ascended’s skin, even as his slit steel gaze narrows in on his husband. Remember when I told you about my swim test? About how I almost drowned? He asks curiously, blinking a few times as his long reptilian tail sweeps against the ground. My foot got stuck in between a couple of logs and it took me a little longer to get out. The dragon pauses, before his wings are shrouding around Nate.

It was a miracle I made it out. So they started a rumor that I had been blessed by the Modderlong. That it helped me get unstuck, though they never knew why it would’ve taken pity on me until after my Trial. Blessed by the Flood Monster, how fitting.
SUNJATA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

All at once, the horror story becomes real again, real memories, real trauma, and that makes it that much sadder, that much scarier. “I remember.” He mumbles against dark scales, fingers following the whorling patterns in them. Sunjata’s wings wrap them in a warm, safe darkness, Nate relaxing in bits and pieces, melting against the pressure of his husband's head.

Is that what you think happened? Nate can't help the naked curiosity in his voice, his eyes bright glittering points in his shadowed face. The shadowy figure in his mind shifts, flickers; horns softening to dark curls, dripping fangs curling into a sharp grin, and the eyes twinkling in shades of blue. He could believe it, could believe in a monster that saw something special in a drowning boy. Some part of him wants to.

A soft sigh leaves Nate, his eyes closing. Think your trick worked amato. The silent voice is thin, wavering in and out like a breeze. Is it my turn to tell a story now?
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
The mumble against his dark scales is felt as the dragon watches his husband with a slit steel eye. Wings slip around, cocooning them in the Wildwood from their task with an attempt at warmth, an attempt at the conversation growing gentler, softer, more truthful in his story as Nate relaxes a fraction. Sobering, it seems.

Is it what he thinks happens? He had been young, he hadn’t known entirely what happened. And for a time, the rumors hadn’t even reached him. He’s inclined to say no, a gut response to the question Nate offers, before the image that Nate can’t keep from projecting across the bond becomes clearer. The monster of the floods shifting and turning into something else, something closer, something like home.

There’s something surprisingly tender in the way Sunjata’s slit pupil widens a fraction, in the way his nostrils flare and he relaxes. Despite the scent of the woods around them, all Sunjata can focus on are the scent of cigarette smoke, of citrus and spices, and the Attuned knows his answer. Yes. He says softly, pulsing and radiating nothing but love and warmth, of a quiet thankfulness for choosing him, of being a monster that saw something special in him too that wasn’t a weapon.

Did it? He prompts gently, head pressing forward to let his toothy maw pull and tug at Nate’s jacket, tugging him closer to the dragon as Sunjata effectively plops down in the middle of the woodland with his treasure. It’s your turn, skatjie. A rumbling purr is mentally combined with the possessive rumble of a growl from his throat.
SUNJATA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

It shouldn't soothe him so much to hear Sunjata say yes, but something purrs deep in Nate's chest, feeling useful, feeling warm. Feeling loved and needed in a way that he craves. I love you. Ti amo così tanto. The words slip out with an unthinking reverence, the  slip of his tongue simply going hand in hand with the desperate adoration.

Sure did, got me all pressed up against you like a bitch at a horror flick. Nate stretches out, grasping at scales and spines with one pair of hands, then two when he can't quite pull himself close enough. Love floods through the bond, all but pouring from his mouth as he leans in that much closer, his cool tongue dragging over the rumble in Sunjata's throat. It's a distraction while h thinks of a story, trying to summon something more personal than a regurgitated b-movie plot.

His fidgeting creeps to a slow stillness, Nate sucking in a deep, unnecessary breath before he begins. Me and Bart went uh, camping once, with a guy I knew. The gesture that would normally accompany the words dances through the bond instead, establishing a looseness around knew. Thought he wanted'a.... y'know, but he said he was bringin' his sister and cousin, and his cousins girl, so I brought Bart, and Bart brought uh... Shelley? Sherry? And we uh... Nate pauses, brows pinching while he thinks, mumbling under his breath while he does. "Leanne!" It was Leanne, that cunt. A deep huff leaves him, his head shaking before he continues.

So we drive way out into the sticks. M'buddy had uh.... hunting cabin kinda place, like... real shitty, run down type place. All Nate seems to remember is trees stretching out as far as the eye can see, and a single, spider infested cabin.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
I love you too. He says swiftly, not understanding the latter part, Nate’s own language slipping out of him more and more as of late. Sunjata figures that if he needs to know that Nate might tell him. For now, though, he simply continues to ooze his adoration, his sharp edged barbs of love, sticking hooks into Nate’s sides that will never go anywhere.

There’s a rumbling laugh that leaves him mentally with Nate’s words, his broad head pressing against Nate’s shoulder as he stretches out – sharp edged teeth tugging and snagging on the demigod’s shirt. The dragon’s head tilts slightly, curling around Nate’s back with the sudden, dull sensation of a cool tongue pressing against the scales of his throat, Sunjata’s head slipping around Nate’s back and presses him all that much closer. His head is large enough to rest his neck at the top of his husband’s shoulder, his jaw running along the man’s shoulder blades until his muzzle rests at the small of Nate’s back – a perfect board of sorts to press Nate into him more and breathe him in.

And he listens, wings keeping them shrouded from sight, his tail curling around to slip around behind Nate as Sunjata cradles one of his most prized treasures. Leanne? He questions quietly, sure that Nate would explain what happened eventually, but then the dragon is captivated in turn with the story – a puff of air leaving his nose that’s warm and pressured as it presses against the back of Nate’s legs. So you’re far from the city then? He asks, unsure by the term ‘the sticks’ but inferring within it to make his assumption. Which only makes the story that much more captivating.
SUNJATA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

Cunt. Nate bites out again with a huff, latching onto the aside easily, immediately. She’s a borin’ prude, but her sisters’re cool. She has, had this uh, weird, he gestures with the word, trying to drag it out, thing for Bart. Well... for us. She tried t’push it once, and I laughed in her face an’ told her t’kick rocks. Even now, there’s an undercurrent of discomfort with the idea thrumming through him. An’ I guess that pissed her off? Cause she’s been fuckin’ shitty since. But, s’long as Bart’s fuckin’ her, we can still go to her sisters parties. Nodding sagely as he wraps up his aside, Nate is silent for a moment, trying to remember where they’d come from.

Shifting to extricate himself and get comfortable in a new position, Nate rolls his shoulders back and reclines on Sunjata, his head lolling to the side with an easy grin. We’re a coupla hours out. In the woods, in fuckin’ September. His minds eye is a canvas of orange and yellow, a few trees stubbornly clinging to green, but not near enough to distract from the overcast day, or the bite in the wind.

Buddy, uh, he snaps, summoning the name, Connor, he’s already there, and his cousin, but I guess his sister invited some people too, an’ they weren’t there yet, so Connor gives us the tour, says we’re somethin’ like fifteen from the lake right? It’s awesome. At least, it had been at the time. A surprising taste of early freedom. His sister is takin’ her sweet time, and Leanne is bitchin’ that my weed is shit, so I say I’m gonna walk down t’the lake t’check it out, an’ Connor says he’ll come with me, cause it’s dangerous t’be in the woods alone. The sentiment is delivered with a mocking sneer, Nate chuckling to himself.

He thumbs his nose and sniffs, taming the laughter into a more bashful grin. We uh... didn’t quite make it to the lake. We’re close enough to hear anyone leave the cabin, but, not actually close, right? Fingers real and electric both trace patterns along scales, a thoughtless motion massaged into Sunjata. We’re just about t’head back when we hear someone comin’ towards us. But not from the house, from the lake. So he grabs a branch and I pull out my knife and we get ready t’fuck up whoever it is, and we, he has to pause to giggle before continuing, we fuckin’ jump outta the woods like killers, yea, and before we can do anythin’ Connor fuckin’ screams cause it’s fuckin’ Nessie, and we didn’t hear her fuckin... drive up, or walk past us.

Theres something else too, something Nate can’t put into words, can barely communicate across the bond. A creeping unease hangs over the memory, a girl with a face he can’t quite recall, staring at him. I fuckin’, I lose my mind on her, like fuckin... jesus, right? And Connor bitches at me for yellin’ at his stupid sister, and says we should go back together and that she should know better and she just fuckin’, books shit back to the cabin, right? Outside the cocoon of leathery wings, wind creaks through the trees, spindly branches clattering together in a death rattle, and dragging dry fingers against Sunjata. We can’t keep up. But we hear her still, and we end up back at the cabin obviously, and theres fuckin’ Nessie, and her friend, and her friends fuckin’... mom, I guess? And I lose my mind all the fuck over again. An’ Bart comes out and fuckin’, shuts me up, an’ Leanne comes out and runs her mouth about keeping’ the good shit to myself and Connor in the woods, cause Nessie and them just got there.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
The story comes to life in his mind, as if Nate’s thoughts are an open book he can read through the bond, combined with his words to piece together this stream of imagery that Sunjata focuses on perhaps a bit too intensely. He readjusts, sinking down to curl up around Nate for the moment while the story continues on, making room for Nate to tuck in against his plated chest.

He doesn’t know what September is, but the thought of orange and red trees with green sprinkled through is enough to give him an idea. And there’s a draconic huff of amusement at Nate’s bashfulness as it arrives so suddenly, his head coming around to wrap around Nate’s chest as he listens, his neck pressed against the demigods curls and shoulder.

In fact, he’s so focused on Nate’s story, inviting himself into the thoughts so much that he forgets that they’re out in the woods right now themselves, that when there’s the scraping of a branch against his cocooned wings, the dragon flinches and twitches, head immediately rising as he realizes what it is and calms his thundering heart from the spooky story Nate continues to tell.

I think we found the wicker woman. He interjects gently as he unfolds himself from around Nate to focus on the tree desperately trying to grab onto Sunjata and tug him in. Keep going, darling. He hums, ensuring that while he focuses on the wicker woman, that his side and tail are still curled around his husband as his claws rise to the tree, forcing themselves through the branches that try to crush him into it, talons outstretched to carve into the bark just enough that there might be a sap vein within.

It takes a little bit of time for it to start while Nate continues the story and Sunjata quietly fights with the wicker woman, sharp teeth biting at the branches that extend, little spiced tastes of sap dancing across his tongue and not quite realizing what they’ll do to him later. Vial, please? He murmurs in another quiet interjection into the story, one clawed hand reaching back as he tries to balance the glass jar between his scaled and taloned hand to bring back to the hole he’d created, collecting as much sap as he can.
SUNJATA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

It’s the jump that really gives Nate pause. The rest of it, the shifting and the huff and the rapt interest all sinks in easily, obvious, but he hasn’t even gotten to the really scary part. His side of the bond goes suddenly sour with the feeling of an unimpressed haughtiness, Nate’s brows all but hidden in his hair with how high they are. Sunjata soothes it in an instant though, like he sees it coming, Nate melting into a content pile again before picking up the thread of his story.

We uh... we didn’t get it, thought everyone was fuckin’ with us, which... I mean, it didn’t make sense either, but it made more sense’n me an’ Connor both bein’ crazy right? The words are louder now, Nate trying to compensate for the new distance between them. So... whatever. We get over it. Make some food, burn some shit. Mel, the uh... the one bitch’s mom, she brought tabs, so we all did summa that, obviously. His gestures are wider, more emphatic without all of Sunjata wrapped around him.

When he speaks again, his voice has quieted, droning distantly as blue eyes turn to watch Sunjata battle with the wicker woman. I don’t... remember who said we should go to the lake. Someone did... someone had t’ve, cause we, he pauses as a vial is requested, Nate patting his pockets before handing over the vial, we went t’the lake. Well... Leanne didn’t, but... A single shoulder lifts in a shrug. If not for what came next, it wouldn’t even be worth mentioning, but... the image of a dark forest leaning in around a black watery pit ripples through his memory. The night air is sweet, and a breeze rustles through the trees, not unlike the forest around them right now.

It was dark as balls, and the fuckin’ lake was like, two fuckin’ feet of mud and shit at the bottom, and it was cold, but... dunno, nice too. Then Leanne showed up. None of us... we didn’t hear her. She just slipped in the water an’ cuddled up t’me, an’ I shoved her t’wards Bart, and we... fuckin’ hung out more. A strained noise tugs out of Nate as he clambers up Sunjata’s back, creeping closer to his husbands gnashing jaws and careful claws. Mel... went back first. And the rest of us’re takin’ our time, gettin’ dressed again, but... Leanne doesn’t have clothes. S’weird, but Bart gives’er his shirt so...

Confusion begins to taint the bond, muddying the waters of Nate’s memories and seeping into his voice like a dark rot. It was dark, and... we can’t see each other, but we’re loud so it’s... it s okay. But sometimes... sometimes there’s footsteps from... further away. And... sniffin’? An’ we hear Bart ask Leanne what the fuck she’s doing, and then just... screaming. Connor.... his cousin, after, said it was a uh, a coyote, but... Fingers tap anxiously, Nate shaking his head and continuing. So we book shit back t’the cabin, an’ me and Bart are bringin’ up the rear and we lock the door and fuckin’... there’s Leanne. In her fuckin’ bed.

Then there’s the thump at the door.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
He continues to fight with the wicker woman, quietly, while Nate’s story continues. It grows deeper and deeper and Sunjata isn’t entirely sure what some of the activities they did were (read, tabs), but he can infer from the rest of it to understand it a bit better without having to interject. Which is good, because it seems like Nate’s found a groove, one that Sunjata listens to quite intensely while he nips at the moving branches of the wicker woman, collecting the vial between sharp clawed talons to hold up against the tree to get the sap within it.

He thinks he can almost imagine the spooky dark forest, the water that’s an inky black, lapping against the edges of the lakeside. The story grows a bit more intense, though, and the Attuned can feel Nate scramble up his back to latch on, the Flood’s wings folding back to wrap around Nate as he tucks them in to keep Nate close against him. That is weird. He rumbles as he pulls the vial away from the wicker woman, somehow managing to use his claws to his advantage to get the cap back on right, before he’s withdrawing from the wicker woman with a deep growl of annoyance toward it.

He pulls away, having more than enough wicker woman sap to do the job and some to share in case Nate needed some, before he’s slipping away from the reach of the tree and settling in, long neck craning back to let his steel eye scan over Nate along his back between his spines. Shit. So it wasn’t Leanne out in the water with you? He asks, giving Nate his full attention again, the sensation of fingers curling against the edge of the bond to draw himself closer into the story. His head and neck shake with a small shiver that slips down his spine at the mention of the thump at the door, the realization of what it might possibly be, but he waits for Nate to continue.
SUNJATA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE

It wasn’t Leanne in the water with us. Nate confirms with a grim seriousness, his hands lowering to feel the growl rumble through his husbands throat, a matching shiver running through him. Wasn’t her in the forest either. Theres a wordless continuation, Nate not sure if even the snappy, half awake bitch in the cabin was really her. Not sure if they brought home a person or a mask in the end.

A hand lifts and falls onto Sunjata’s back as Nate says the word thump, a solid, open handed demonstration. He remembers thinking it sounded like the cops, sounded like his father in the middle of the night, sounded terribly, horribly human. He remembers the panicked silence of eight teenagers, all suddenly painfully sober, and the one adult who was anything but. None of us moved. No one... no one even breathed, and then we heard the uh, the fuckin’... the porch stairs creak, and then steps, goin’ out around the place. T’wards the cars n’shit, and then comin’ back. Fingers clutch and scrabble at Sunjata’s scales, the demi-god testing the strength of the dragons wings as worry begins to bubble up in him.

I uh... I locked t’door, and Connors cousin got the side door, and... and Nessie got the bathroom, cause the fuckin’.... the window was broken in there, but the door still worked, so... He shrugs. We all had like... weapons, a fire poker or... y’know. But... whatever it was didn’t bang again. We just... we heard it walk around the house all night, and... go through the crawl space, an’ tap at the windows, but... it went back into the woods when the sun came up.

Not that any of them had moved, not that it had been the all clear. Hours had passed, the sun beating down, and it was only the threat of clouds on the horizon, of being stuck in the fucking woods while a storm drowned the roads that got them moving, bodies rushing into cars and peeling down the road without so much as a goodbye. We found... Bart’s shirt on the uh, the mat. Outside the door. All... twisted, and mangled. Covered in mud and shit. We left it there.