words, words, words
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 100 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
kidnap me from my reality & crushed pieces of my soul
Halo had been taken and then had almost immediately been taken back. Leadership almost everywhere had been overturned, and the Greatwood was no exception. With so much change on the horizon it was shocking that the triumvirate of Guardians hadn't met together yet, but perhaps it was understandable.

They were all on the brink of war, after all.

Sitting cross-legged in the circular room of the treehouse on an elaborate mat woven from leaves and branches, Remi picks at an errant bit of wood which was splintering as he waits for Nephele and Juniper.  The twins were safe with Vai at her cabin, and though two were a handful, Remi has no doubts that the witch can handle them. With his back hunched and his pale stare focused on what he's just pulled out of the floor, Remi certainly does not cut a very intimidating figure—not that he's ever much worried about what people did or didn't think of him. Actions as they say, speak far louder than words.
colour me outside the lines
until my shattered heart is whole
REMI
Table & Gif-sniping by SKY who deserves our love and affection for always.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
"Hello, Remi," Juniper said, entering the treehouse at the appointed time. She was dressed nicely, but comfortably; she didn't intend to stand on formality much with her fellow leaders. That had never been the Fae's way, and she doubted it would change now.

"I'm glad we have this opportunity to talk," she added as she sat down across from Remi. "There's a lot to discuss."

Halo was uppermost in her mind, and then the coming war. In Juniper's opinion, the Greatwood had to respond to events in Halo somehow -- they couldn't just ignore what had happened, especially when the defeated rulers had fled into their territory. But Juniper didn't want to take action without first talking over the matter with her fellow leaders. If she spoke to Morgan, the entire Greatwood would be bound by what she said, and while Juniper was cautious with her promises, she didn't want any of her communications to come as a surprise to Remi or Nephele.
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Maybe I'm not so good as I make myself seem to you
I know I have a bad heart
Nephele wanders inside last, appraising eyes taking in the structure Remi had made with clear, uncharacteristic approval. Juniper is the first she lays eyes on, and the woman is granted a warm smile and a gentle kiss of fingertips to the shoulder as the Meadowhawk passes by to sit and complete the triangle.

Folding down gracefully, she pulls Ludo’s Rags closer around her waist, and regards her fellow leaders. None of them are dressed lavishly, and Nephele appreciates that. They are a well-balanced trio from the outside, and this will be the first step to see if that balance will continue when pressure is exerted against their connective points.

“Shall we lay it all out first then?” Golden eyes turn to Remi, hands folded patiently in her lap.
I will have my own way
NEPHELE
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Glancing over his shoulder at the sound of Juniper's voice, Remi smiles warmly in her direction. "Hallo Juniper. I agree...especially with so much happening all at once. Hopefully Nephele will be here soo—" The sentence is hardly finished when the last member of their triumvirate appears. "I think that sounds wise." He agrees, of her suggestion that they lay it all out. How much would overlap is yet to be seen.

"It is no secret that my main reason for being here is because of Ludo. It is to keep a watch on the ascended threat in the Grounds and help prepare for war. Making the Greatwood a thriving home for those who seek to come here is...not something I am concerned with." He explains, fingers splayed slightly. "I would like the Woods to thrive, but I cannot say that I at all want the influx of new citizens that already we are starting to see." Indeed, if the Greatwood remained precisely as it was, that would be perfectly fine with him.

"I have spoken with Isla Lockwood, one of the leaders of the Grounds. I am confident that her people will stay away from the Woods but still we should think about adding additional defences against the ascended.  In Torchline, I am also friendly with Maeve, one of their queens. I see no reason why Torchline should ever bother us, but nor have I promised them any assistance in future matters. Torchline seems...a beacon for drama and strife that I would rather stay out of." And then of course there was Halo. "As for Halo...Hotaru is the mother of my twins—" The deep-set lines on his forehead and the set of his jaw very much suggested this was not a topic Remi wanted to speak more about. "—and so regardless of the role she played in the invasion and subsequent loss of Halo, she will be allowed here. Though I will take responsibility for her while she remains.

Morgan is clearly a Voice supporter no matter how much she preaches neutrality in Halo. I have...a reasonable relationship with her, though I would prefer to cut most of our ties with them given that she herself is an ally of the ascended, even if Halo officially is not."
REMI
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper smiled back at Nephele, nodded at her -- and at her suggestion that they lay out the matters at hand. Then she listened closely to Remi's words, waiting until he finished to add her own.

"Centuries ago, my grandfather fought to open the Greatwood to more outsiders. The Fae opposed him then, and many still dislike the idea of more strangers moving into our home. But I think there is a balance to strike in this, as in everything. While we should seek to retain the culture and identity of the Greatwood -- and the Fae -- cutting ourselves off makes us vulnerable. The more allies we have to fight at our side when the time comes, the better, whether those allies are individuals or regions." After all, if they had accepted Remi and Ronin as new arrivals -- and promoted Remi, who wasn't Fae, to leader status -- Juniper saw no reason they shouldn't welcome others, within reason. She added, "What I have heard from many Fae is that they wish to keep Sidhe Village rather closed off, but do not mind some outsiders living and working in the Sea of Branches."

Then Juniper moved from the Greatwood to its potential allies: "As for the other regions, I hope that the Grounders will stay away, to avoid sparking any premature conflict. But Torchline concerns me. I went to speak to its Queens not long ago, hoping to build an alliance with them or at least learn where they stood, and they refused me on both counts. Their argument was that they wished to focus on internal affairs for the moment, and they said that they would consider allying with us as the seasons passed, but it still seemed odd to me, to avoid even the slightest commitment to a natural ally. If I didn't know that the Queens were chosen by Safrin herself, I would suspect that they had not yet chosen a side. Remi, you know Queen Maeve -- she mentioned you in our discussion. Do you have any insight into why she may have reacted this way?"

A sigh as Juniper continued: "As for Halo ... I feel obligated to reach out to Morgan, as a fellow leader and a former ally. If there is any chance of keeping Halo from the Voice's side, I think it's a chance I -- we -- must take. Morgan did promise once to defend the Greatwood. I know that seems unlikely now, but I feel I must at least give her a chance to affirm it, rather than assuming it broken."

table by Skylark
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Remi is to prepare for war, Juniper seeks to make the Greatwood a home, and Nephele feels as if she straddles the line between the two.

“Making ourselves more hospitable and capable of being empathized with only affords us more allies, which we need in the war. I think we are more than capable of achieving both goals if spearheaded by different Guardians.” Had she not encouraged Juniper into her diplomat role for the precise purpose of opening the Greatwood up to the humans? This is merely a continuation of that goal from long ago. “Maeve told me when we met that she would fight, if needed. Curious then that they snub us now - that does not seem an intelligent move, and with Remi’s addition regarding their drama I wouldn’t be inclined to aid them if they intend to procrastinate their dedication to a side. We cannot afford such hesitation.” As nice as Maeve had been, she is a human, and as such prone to the seemingly intrinsic nature of all other humans that Nephele calls the Three F’s - fickleness, flightiness, and foolishness.

“I disagree, respectfully,” she tacks on despite being certain Juniper knows every word is always said with respect to her fellow Guardian. “Opening up to Morgan at all, even conversation, affords her too many opportunities to lie and deceive. She has made her bed, and I do not wish us to lie in it with her. In fact -” here she turns to Remi, having easily accepted what he’d said of Hotaru, “- their strongest have now fled, why do we not bring them in? Hotaru already remains. Ronin is our General, but further strength in numbers and skill would not go amiss. Perhaps we can foster a form of allegiance in their hearts for the Greatwood instead of Halo?” Manipulative perhaps but Nephele was not above it.

“Halo may not be capable of being returned to the Old Gods. Why not continue to pull away at their members, weakening their numbers, while amassing our own?” Her twin had been the soldier of the two of them, but Nephele had greatly respected Delah and her forces. Bolstering their strength by way of swaying patriotic hearts to a new land is something she wouldn’t say no to. “If regions are to be pitted against each other, starving Halo of their flock seems smarter than trying to breach their mountain range.”
I will have my own way
NEPHELE
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
For a moment the alchemist says nothing, simply staring down at his fingertips for a moment. Words buzz on his tongue but he's reluctant to say them just now. Even so they bite at the skin of his gums until he eventually pulls in a steep breath. "I know how this will sound...but I think it worth saying just the same.." Gently he raises his eyes to Nephele and Juniper, holding their gazes as modestly as he can. "Both Ronin and I are immortal. Save for the gods I've not meant anyone stronger than I am. Even among the other demigods including those made by the Voice, no one can challenge Ronin or I. I know what it is to make promises, to offer yourself to others in times of need, and then be bound by those decisions later." He says levelly, even as his cheeks flush an unhappy crimson.

'When you promise the Greatwood as an ally, you are promising me. You are promising Ronin." They were the strength in these woods, and bold of him to put it in such frank terms, there it was. He had built the stronghold. He had created every non-natural defence. "The Greatwood needs no protection above what she already has." They didn't need allies. They needed the other regions to keep their drama within their own borders.

'A war is coming and the Greatwood is meant to stand as a barrier to the ascended. To act as a line of defence against the Grounds. Let other regions house the weak and wandering. Let Halo succumb to their biases."
REMI
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper nodded when Nephele agreed with her, frowned thoughtfully when she didn't. She was thinking of her reply, of acquiescence and counter-arguments, when Remi spoke. His words deepened her frown, and she took a long breath before responding. "I understand your concerns about being signed up for a fight you don't want, and I would never commit the Greatwood to an alliance without consulting you, as a co-leader and as one of its greatest defenders. Neither do I consider the Greatwood unable to defend itself." Juniper had to force a note of irritation not to enter her voice on that last statement, but it wasn't directed at Remi -- rather, she was thinking of the Torcher Queens, and how they had belittled the Greatwood when she spoke, acting as if it had nothing to offer and could only beg for help.

"However, I cannot agree to completely closing ourselves off from the rest of Caido. It's true, the Greatwood does not need the aid of other regions, but we should look beyond need. If war is to come, should those of us whom fate has placed on one side -- the side of the Old Gods -- cooperate to make it as swift and bloodless as possible?"

Turning to Nephele, Juniper continued, "I don't think there's any chance of us getting close enough to Morgan to share her bed, metaphorically speaking. But if there's any opportunity to convince her to maintain neutrality, at least for a little longer, I would rather take it than make her an enemy by assumption. Would you object to me at least sending her a letter? I will make no commitments nor alliances, of course."

To Nephele's other point: "I don't want our relationship with Halo to deteriorate into open conflict through our acceptance of those Morgan might name traitors. But if there are citizens of Halo who wish to leave it for somewhere where they can be certain of fighting for the Old Gods, I would welcome them to the Greatwood. Not all of them can go to Stormbreak," she added, glancing at Remi. "Not if they're Abandoned. And Torchline is an uncertain quantity at the moment. If there are those who would fight for us in the coming battles, I think we should accept them."

Was that everything? Probably not, but it would have to do for now, until she heard her co-leaders' responses.

table by Skylark
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
“If they are as disorganized as you say, allyship isn’t something I’m interested in. The Greatwood can stand; it always has, even before Ludo changed your nature and assigned you here. Neutrality in disposition alone is all that is required of us - we are here for the Old Gods, not the other lands. Being on the same side should be alliance enough when war comes.” They would all be on the same side at that point. Shoulder to shoulder regardless of creed or council. In this, she doesn’t have any qualms with agreeing with Remi. “If the only remaining lands have proven themselves unfit, why form anything binding at all?” Let then stand apart, as they had since their inception.

Juniper’s insistence to speak to Morgan has a frown pulling at her lips, though she is undoubtedly biased herself. “Maintain? She has already broken her neutrality by lying with an Ascended, aiding them in the Grounds, and using their might to return to a throne she willingly abandoned. You can send a letter, of course, but all I believe it need say is that we are keeping our distance - and for indisputably good reason.” But she would not steal the motions and necessities of diplomacy from Juniper’s hands. If it would settle her spirit, she could write entire volumes. So long as the material therein did not tie a noose around the Greatwood’s throat.

“They are Old God followers with nowhere else to go. If we are not allies of Halo, then we are not beholden to agree to return them if sighted. We are an Old God land - I am not suggesting open borders, but allowing them to reside here? Yes, I’d say that’s something we can do.” Spare them the drama of Torchline if they did not seek it; and the death in Stormbreak, of course.
I will have my own way
NEPHELE
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Whether or not Juniper considered the Greatwood unable to defend itself without he or Ronin wasn't worth arguing over. Hopefully, it never needed to be tested. "From what I have heard from the Order and the other demigods, is that this will be a race to find the relics. In that, I think we do not even need to be properly allied to know we are on the same side." Running a hand through his curls, he gives each of his co-leaders a weary look, heavy with resignation. "Truthfully, I think that even if we allied with them, there would be a power struggle over who had what. Information would be kept because everyone would want a relic for themselves." Looking down at his hands, hands strong enough to take just about anything, he flexes his fingers, fearful of what was to come.

The alchemist shrugs his shoulders at Juniper's question. 'By all means. I am sure she will agree on paper to neutrality, but should she find a relic? Or even information about one? I doubt that such information would be given to those allied with the old gods." Morgan could call Halo whatever she liked, but the proof as they said, was in the pudding.

'So long as any residing within the Woods are supporters of the old gods openly, there is no great harm. I worry though that they will only be a liability should the ascended venture upon our borders, though." But if Juniper and Nephele were okay with their blood on their hands, so be it.

'So we are in agreement then. For now, we will remain neutral when it comes to both Torchline, Stormbreak, and Halo. Not allies, but not enemies either. Those who wish to live in the woods must be open followers of the old gods, and no ascended shall be allowed within our borders.' Pausing, he raised a brow to see if he had the right of it.
REMI
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper sighed as Remi and Nephele presented their arguments against alliances with the other lands, but she didn't argue further. She could see that now was not the time. If something changed, perhaps they could discuss it again. "We should focus on finding the relics, then, and building our defenses."

She nodded in acknowledgment of the others' cautions about Morgan. "I will be very careful what I say to her ... and what I believe from her."

As for the possibility of other Old Gods supporters moving into the Greatwood: "We should make it clear to anyone who wishes to take up residence here what danger they place themself in ... Although I doubt anyone is totally unaware, given our location near the Hollowed Grounds and the fact that the Ascended have already attacked us once. But I agree that we should welcome new residents willing to take the risk."

Another nod as Remi summed up their discussion. It was disappointing for Juniper to hear that she wouldn't spend the next eight seasons making alliances, strengthening the Greatwood's bonds with the rest of Caido, but her co-leaders had good arguments. Perhaps after the war ... "Yes. Agreed."

table by Skylark
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Relics, yes. Quite the...concerning arms race. Nephele is swayed ever further by the insight into Man's desires for war, for fame and power that the relics - or simply the act of possessing one - may supply. "Power and leverage are eternal in the eyes of humans, even being on the same side will not cut the thread of temptation in their hearts." There is a subtle sneer hiding in the shadow of voluptuous lips, a disregard for humans and their ways bred into her.

Similarly she has to bite the flesh inside her mouth to prevent herself from disparaging Morgan's character further, or trying to convince Juniper to sway from her path. Trust in Juniper is all she can provide in this scenario, and so she holds her tongue.

"We are all liabilities compared to you, but this is no less our home," she points out, long fingers tracing senseless patterns overtop her knee. "As it should continue to be. A home as equally as an anchor in the tides of war." Lest they forget their natures entirely in the coming maelstrom. "Is there any way to further prevent the Ascended from venturing into our lands? The portal project is underway, but you are Ludo's favored - have you any ideas that they might encourage?"
I will have my own way
NEPHELE
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
'Agreed.' Remi says with a look in Juniper 's direction. He thinks it's perhaps her years as a diplomat that has softened her tongue just now, but he appreciates it just the same. Though the same can't be said for Nephele, he does understand the fae's reluctance to simply let bygones by bygones. With her long-life, it must seem to her as though this is all just a repeat of years and promises already made.

"I think..." The alchemist answers in response to Nephele 's question, "..that defences would be more welcome than offences. I think we can all agree we do not want the war fought here in the Greatwood. I know the Hollowed Ground has made it so members of the Order cannot step foot within the perimeter without dying...perhaps we might do something similar." He suggests with a small shrug. "Not death maybe, but in Stormbreak any abandoned who try and enter the city are held in place by stone hands that rise up from the Ground. Perhaps any abandoned who try and enter are bound by the trees until we can deal with them?"
REMI
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
"Are we trying to ward off Abandoned or Ascended?" said Juniper, noting what she hoped was a slip of Remi's tongue. "Do we need to keep Abandoned out of the Greatwood as well as Ascended? I ... would hope otherwise."

She would hope that they didn't need to ban a second race of people from their home -- that they didn't have to assume that anyone not firmly affiliated with the Old Gods was an enemy. But she didn't know if Remi had misspoken or if he intended to target Abandoned as well.

"I agree that we should focus our efforts on creating defenses," Juniper added. "Something that would stop the Ascended from entering would be excellent. I'd just as soon not fight any battles in the Greatwood itself at all."

table by Skylark