shipwrecks
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
MATEO
"Like... this?" Mateo is kneeling on the riverbank beside the houseboat where his fathers live now, a mortar and pestle between his knees. He's enthusiastically bashing some dried herbs and other materials to create a dye which will, apparently, paint some kitchen cupboards a very pleasant colour. For now, though, he's just enjoying the catharsis of destruction.

It hasn't taken long (read - about an hour) for the boy to look as though he's walked straight out of the woods. The clothes he wears are a bit too big, given that he'd arrived naked via dreams, and the sleeves are coated in dirt and berry juice, as is one of Teo's cheeks. "Cosa facciamo dopo?" he wonders, beaming up at his father and wiggling his bare toes against the dirt and the grass.
the earth has music for those who listen
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
remi
When the heart of this star-crossed voyager beats in time with yours

"Mmmhmm." The alchemist agrees, also on his hands and knees beside his son. "Just so." Using his considerable strength, Remi has been crushing various nuts with his bare fingers and leaving them in a pile for Mateo to smash mix into a powder.

Licking the end of one finger, Remi deposits it into his son'd bowl, only to smear the resulting mixture onto his white shirt. The colour was like that of a camel, which made the alchemist narrow his eyes ever so slightly. "Well, I think the colour needs a bit more warmth. What about you?" A few pink flowers should warm the tone up considerably. "Dopodiché, dovremo trovare dell'olio." Remi replies, saying the worlds slowly and carefully annunciated that Mateo might be able to glean the meaning of olio.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
MATEO
It's par for the course, his father's strength, and Mateo can only smile his thanks as he gathers up the crushed powder to add it to the pestle and mortar so they might even out the colour and texture. And his blue eyes are bright and curious as Remi tests it out, his head cocking to the side with the colour's reveal. "Mm, it still looks too yellow," he agrees, reaching out to snag a couple of vibrantly pink flowerbuds. Stripping the leaves off with a familiarity that suggests he has done it before, the boy grinds up the flowers into the powder as well.

He pauses as the travelling tongue spills from his father's lips, brow furrowing as he tries to glean the meaning. "Oil," he realises, smiling hopefully up at Remi. "Where from? The flower lady next door gave me... um..." He frowns, trying to remember. "Chamomile? She said I can dry the flowers and make oil from it." It probably doesn't help them right this minute, but Mateo is always keen to share with the alchemist.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
remi

They're of the same mind, he and Mateo, and Remi finds himself smiling even though it's only his subconscious that's aware of it. "Oil." Remi agrees proudly, before giving his head a slight shake. "We would need more flowers than she could grow in a year." And even then they'd likely not have enough. "Oil can also be harvested from animals. The fattier they are, the more oil you can get from them." Deer were far too lean, and foxes or rabbits were too small. Really the best creatures within the woods were probably bears and elk.

"Possiamo anche usare l'olio per dipingere la barca, se ne avanza." Though the houseboat had taken up much of Remi's attention, he'd certainly not forgotten about the vessel he and Mateo had been working on. "Maybe tonight you can nudge your father over dinner and tell him to built you a molo del cielo, mm?"
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
"What if I grew them too?" Mateo grins, his fingers gripping the pestle as he crushes the flowers into the dye, before he offers the bowl out once more for his father to test the colour again. "I have lavender and burdock, and there's a lily that I'm trying to flower." The pride in his voice is very quiet, but there's no doubt that the boy is very pleased with the beginnings of his little garden.

"From animali?" He blinks, clearly not having considered that. "Will we have to go hunting, then?" His toes wiggle in the dirt a second time, as if he's unsure about it. But then the skyboat is mentioned and Mateo glances up, an instant smile on his face. "Yes," he gushes. "I will ask him tonight. Is he really going to make one in the Sidhe Village?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
remi

'You could," Remi agrees, never one to squash his son's ideas. "But I promised Ronin we would have the boat painted soon. Do you think you can grow the flowers that quickly?" The question is genuinely asked. Mateo was the child of two demigods, and with how often new abilities seemed to pop up in their family, there was no reason it was impossible for Mateo to grow an entire field of flowers in just a matter of hours. "Oh? Will you show me when I take you back for school?" Only for Mateo will the alchemist let his shop be transformed into an overgrown flower garden. Even Ronin's request to store a few things in Remi's backroom (aayooo) had been met with narrowed eyes.

"Sì. Dagli animal. Ti piacerebbe venire con me?" Unlike both he and Ronin, Mateo was not quite the easy hunter that they both were. If the boy didn't want to come, the alchemist would happily hunt on his own while Mateo pestered Ronin about a skyport.

"He really is. When is the real question. But we thought perhaps near the observatory since it is above the treeline so none of the boats will have their hulls scratched."
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
Mateo's brow furrows as he considers his fathers questions, as if trying to decide whether or not it would really be possible for him to grow so many chamomile flowers so quickly. Chewing his bottom lip, he considers it before slowly shaking his head. "I would need earth magic, or to ask for help at a shrine," he decides. "I will grow the plants that I have, and we can get oil from hunting." A fair trade for a painted houseboat - and a painted skyboat, if there's enough left over.

Blue eyes light back up at the prospect of showing Remi his little garden when they go back to Stormbreak, and he gives an eager nod. "I have been making sure to sweep the shop floors as well, like you showed me. And to tell it that it's a good shop," he says. It's regrettable that he's not nearly as enthused by the prospect of hunting anything, and he gives his nose a good natured wrinkle.

"No grazie, papà. Resterò qui." He smiles, offering the pestle and mortar out for Remi to check the colour. "An observatory? Is that like a lighthouse, or a guard tower?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
remi

Stilling as his son thinks, Remi does his best not to flinch or frown as shrines are mentioned. It's difficult for him not to let his own past traumas and biases spill over into his parenting. Though he knows his son will not be able to live a life free of divine intervention, especially given who he was, still the alchemist cautions thoughtfulness at nearly every turn where the heralds are involved. "Perhaps you could take some cuttings from here and let them grow in Stormbreak? You never know what might happen when you take flora out of its native environment and let it grow elsewhere."

With a conspiritorial wink Remi grins. "It is a good shop." He agrees heartily. "And though Ronin is much better at it than I, most like receiving compliments." His shop was not not brick and mortar. There was a good deal of blood, sweat, and tears that had gone into it already.

"Come vuoi." Glancing into the bowl, the alchemist considers for a moment before letting his head tilt from side to side. "Maybe...altri due fiori. Cosa ne pensi?" Whatever Mateo ends up choosing, two more, 8 more, or no more, the colour will be perfect.

'No, not like those things. It is high above the treeline and partially away from the village so that the amount of light is very low. That way you can see the stars easily. An observatory is usually a place reserved for studying the sky and the stars. Apparently there is a pod of starwhales that can often be seen from it, if you would like to see one night and look for them?"
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
Oblivious to his father's misgivings (a sure sign of good parenting, if anything), Mateo tilts his head and nods vibrantly. "I have never taken a cutting before. I have seen the flower lady do it, and some of the workers in the Celestine. I would like that," he admits, letting his fingers brush through the blades of grass that run along the riverbank. Barefoot and covered in dirt (and now powder dye, thanks to their hard work), it hasn't taken long for Mateo to look like a child of the woods.

"You are good at compliments," he informs Remi off-handedly. "And other things, too!" Maybe he's trying his hand at it himself. Maybe. Just a bit. Due fiori..." Considering it, the boy eventually nods, as if able to visualise the colour with the addition of the extra buds. Sì, che funzionerà." Plucking up two more flowers, he adds them to the mortar and crushes them up, all the while listening to the description of the observatory.

"Starwhales?" Blue eyes grow round with awe, and he nods eagerly. "Yes, please. I would like to look for them - is it far? Could we go tonight?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
remi

"Easily done. I can show you. Some can simply be cut and placed into water to take root. Others need to be spliced into other plants in order to grow." It would all depend on what his son took and though the florist would know better than anyone, Remi was fairly confident he could get a bit of the Greatwood back to Stormbreak alive.

Watching Mateo's technique with approval, Remi too lets his fingers glide through the grasses around them. He hates how at ease he is here in the Woods, if only because he knows that this will never be his forever home. He and Ronin are likely destined to be vagabonds for all of their days, no matter how long they might settle in any one place. Still, this place seems to be with the heart of him—or he with it—and though he doesn't take any particular note of it now, in years to come, he will look fondly back on this moment by the riverside with his son.

"Mhmmm. So long as you are not too tired." Remi winks at Mateo, knowing full-well that with something to look forward to, the boy will have more than enough energy to make it to midnight. "We will have to bring an offering to Safrin with us, as the observatory is also one of her shrines." The alchemist instructs. "What do you think she would like? She quite liked the paintings you used to make for her when you were small."
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
Spliced is not a word that Mateo has ever heard before, but he doesn't want to ask the meaning of it. Whatever his mind comes up with is far more exciting, and there's a dimpled smile on his face as he finishes crushing up the rest of the flowers into the dye that will become their kitchen paint. "Thanks, Dad. You know so much stuff, I will have to work hard to catch up," he murmurs.

The mere prospect of being too tired is laughable, especially when it comes to staying up all night to look at the stars and try to catch a glimpse of starwhales, of all things. Mateo is already buzzing, and ideas for Safrin offerings come easily enough to him. (Not much of a surprise, given Ronin's influence). "Do you think?" he asks. "I could paint our houseboat for her. Do you think she'd like that? I could paint shooting stars on it too."
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
remi

"I have a few years on you." The alchemist replies with a warm laugh and boyish shrug. Though compared to his son Remi looks anything like a boy despite his equally dimpled cheeks and muddy clothing.

Mateo's suggestions have the alchemist swallowing down all the things he might have said were it someone else sitting here with him instead of his son. "Well, as thoughtful as that is...I was thinking of something we could bring to her." He doesn't quite feel guilt creeping up in the back his throat, but whatever it was, it was oily and thick. "Maybe we could build a small model of the houseboat, and you could paint it for her. We could use it to test out the paint if I can catch something for the oil, in time." Remi says this as if hunting wasn't one of the things he was best at.

"Oh, hey...tell me more about this friend you wanted me to bring with you to visit." Mateo had said his name was Everest which was the name of Finn's son. Only...Finn's son was just a baby, so surely...
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
"Mm, you're old, Dad." Mateo nods in agreement, his tone as pleasant and vicious as any child. He dusts his hands off now that the powder dye is all finished, the boy shifting to sit properly on the riverbank. Tilting his head - he doesn't know the difference between bringing a painting to Safrin and bringing a model, but he trusts his father on this - he nods slowly. "It will take longer to build the model," he reasons. "Do we need it for when we go tonight?" The hidden meaning being very clear, of course - do we need to put off the trip?

Mention of Everest, at least, pulls his attention as far from Safrin as it gets. "Oh! Yeah, he's weird but he seems nice. His pa is the Spyglass and his mama is a doctor," he explains. "We have history together. And art, and science. We're doing our homework together." He smiles.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
remi

Snorting and bobbing his head in agreement—he absolutely felt old, no matter how many trips around the sun he'd actually taken—he offers his son a shrug. "If I am old now, I wonder what you will think of me when you are my age. Ancient, I suppose." And gods willing, that would be an eventuality that came to pass.

Perhaps you, reader, have noticed where Remi has gone wrong, but he hasn't yet. Furrowing his brow, the alchemist tilts his head to the side and gives Mateo a look. "It will take longer to paint our entire houseboat than it will to build a smaller model of it." He replies, still thinking Mateo had meant to paint their actual houseboat. "Well...yes, I should think so. Safrin does not seem like the type who wants IOUs."

Remi's smile remains where it is, though the muscles that are keeping it there suddenly have to do more work as Mateo mentions the Spyglass and the doctor. "Oh, so he's..." He really is Finn's son. But how? "...wasn't he just a baby a few months ago?" Remi wonders, as if this is information Mateo should somehow have.