[se] this cage of mine, I'll die in
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
the wraith
she tied you to her kitchen chair
she broke your throne and she cut your hair
How the little fuckers made it up here, in the cold, and can still bounce around, she’ll never know. Maybe it’s some… vampire gourd thing, that as long as they keep moving they won’t freeze to death? Watching them hop - get stuck in snow - and slide around on early ice, Wessex can’t help but wonder if they’re a bit sluggish here.

A swift kick sends a big one bouncing to an early end. She stands on guard in front of what’s left of the Kraai, thinking that if Neron is going to be staying in Halo, he might want the bar back. And there’s a lot of fond memories in there. Releasing her talons, the Wraith takes a swipe at a little one and it manages to get impaled instead of diced, so she’s forced to pause and try to shake - or pull - it off with the other hand.
and from your lips she drew
the hallelujah
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3215
Lightning makes no sound until is strikes
Sah heard the now familiar sound of gourds being destroyed and made his way over, sword already drawn. To his surprise, he recognized the woman immediately. "Wessex? What are you doing out here? I didn't know you were in Halo." Thought given the recent events, Sah had a feeling he knew how and why the Wraith was here. He wasn't sure how he felt about it at the moment.

As he finished the statement, the gourds turned towards him, and with a flick of his wrist, the Abandoned sent one flying into a nearby window, where it busted open on the glass. He felt a bit of guilt for having gotten pumpkin guts everywhere, but as long as he cleaned it after, it should be ok. Sah welcomed the distraction that the pumpkins provided as he began to slash at them with his sword, lightning sparking along the blade. He could ask Wessex later what part of Morgan's' return that she'd had a hand in, if any.
Sah
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
“I came and went from Halo as I pleased long before you were here,” Wessex replies dryly, her face tightening into a slight frown at Sah’s tone and the implication that he ought to know who is in Halo at all times. Her relationships with the NPCs people of Halo are none of his business.

As for what she’s doing - it should be obvious.

Using her foot to pull the skewered punkin like one might scrape something off a shovel, Wessex quickly punts that one away, where it cracks against an icy building corner. She takes a moment to appreciate the fancy lightning come out of Sah’s sword, but it isn’t long before a big one is bouncing their way again and this time, the Wraith goes all Fruit Ninja on it, slashing in a wide arct instead of down.
the hallelujah
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Wessex's tone shook Sah out of stupor and he found himself grimacing. "Fuck.. I didn't mean it like that. Sorry." He had his suspicions but he hadn't meant to come across as accusing. Shaking his head, the Abandoned let out a small chuckle, a cynical grin on his face. "I don't know how, but you have this horrible habit of running into me when I'm in a terrible mood. It's honestly concerning. And I'm sorry that I keep taking that anger out on you. It's something that I really need to work on. It is nice to see you again." He ended his words as he telekinetically tossed another pair of pumpkins down the street.

Wessex had genuinely caught the Outlander on a bad day. With the recent stress and the sleepless nights Sah was exhausted. The power shifts in Halo and ever growing shadow of his own memories of war leaving him on edge. He truly wasn't fond of how that edge led him to act. The restless violence, and calculative mentality becoming more dominant as the war drew closer.

Perhaps this situation was a small blessing then. Sah eyed the pumpkins with determination, eager to unleash his temper productively. And so, forgoing the conversation for now, the Abandoned began to cut his way through the pests'
ranks. Between slices of his blade, and the lighting arcing off of it, the gourds easily fall, too easily in his opinion. But thankfully there were plenty of them, quantity over quality it seemed.
Sah
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
She can accept his apology at face value, but honestly, the Wraith is slowly but surely getting tired of playing teacher to the young Outlander. She sighs, a sound undercut by evidence of slight exasperation. “It’s not about your mood - I couldn’t tell, to be honest. It was the implication that either I shouldn’t be here, or that you should know where I go.” Both of which seem absurd, given their relative statuses and strengths in the world.

Sharp attacks on the pumpkins hide the flare of anger; part of her wants to show him just what she could do to him. That he should at least show a fucking iota of respect to someone who could kill him in a move or two. But… in her head he’s still redeemable.

And Morgan would probably be pissed.

The Wraith slides her chakram from its holster and turns so Sah is at her back. Squatting down, she sends it skimming across the ground in an arc in front of her, so it can slice through a bunch of them all at once, reaching out with her other hand to easily catch it.
the hallelujah
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah turns and eyes Wessex for half a second, processing her words. Seeing the truth and feeling it like a slap to the face. "You're right." He states softly, sending another gourd flying. It had him wondering, what was it about the Wraith that seemed to continuously push him? Lips twitching at the display of power, he easily rules out her raw strength being the cause. If it wasn't her strength, her position? No, he'd been treating her this way since before he knew who she was. So why?

Slicing a pumpkin in half, it finally hits him. Giving a startled laugh, Sah shakes his head. "I've been treating you like one of those fucking usurpers back home." He runs a baffled hand through his hair. "The calculating ones who spoke with double edged swords instead of outright challenging me. You're not like them so why in the seven hells...?" The Outlander eyes the Demi-god with calculating eyes, trying to determine just what about her was setting that dormant reflex off. Why did she remind him of those so called advisors who did all they could to see him fail? Who tried so hard to kill him or just yank him off his throne?

"It doesn't make sense. None of them were actually worthy of taking my place much less capable of snapping me in half like I assume you can. And I have no rank to take here anyway. So why..?" If it wasn't her rank or power then why? Sah shook his head, frustrated with himself. "Doesn't matter why. It's unfair to you and I'll stop." He'd have to figure out the cause himself first. But he'd do his damn best to prevent it from happening in the future. It didn't matter if Wessex was all but an enemy commander at this point, she still deserved her due respect.
Sah
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
She finds it a very weird confession; not unappreciated, just odd, for who they are and where they are and what they’re doing. It’s never to let for a ‘come to Caido’ moment, in theory.

Pulling back up to her full height (shorter than him, but there’s something in the feeling), Wessex looks over at Sah, clearly a bit bewildered. “I mean… we could duke it out. If that’s what you feel like you’re waiting for…?” Not her brightest idea, Wessex feels like she’s scraping the bottom of the barrel, not quite trusting the Outlander’s word that he’ll change. And maybe in this moment, she is more than a little obviously unsure about where to go next and caught at some sort of crossroads.

Once she takes a moment to think about it, it sounds like maybe he’s been listening to someone who’s been filling his head with what they think the Wraith is, instead of who she really is. But even that is conjecture at best, and she issues another savage kick at a gourd, sending it skidding along the slick pathway to her left.
the hallelujah
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Stabbing a gourd with a flash of lightning tipped steel, Sah glanced at Wessex. He gave her a shrug, an equally bewildered look on his face. "Maybe..?" This entire situation was difficult to process. What about her had set him off? Why was he even still....? Sah wasn't a ruler anymore, so why?

Shaking his head the Outlander let out a heavy sigh. "I honestly don't know if that will make it better or worse." He gave the Wraith a cynical grin. "Something tells me that I'm going have to sort it out internally." Considering eyes regarded the Demi-god for a moment, mind whirling. "I'll do my best to sort it out. Is that offer an open one? Because if I can't think of anything else I might just take you up on it."  Another pumpkin was telekinetically sent flying into a building.

The Abandoned honestly wasn't sure if being physically 'put in his place' would help. Sah was thankful that Wessex was actually listening to him and not just laughing it off. She wasn't that kind of person, but the premise of reflexes and instincts of a past life interfering with his one in Caido was a bit strange after all. Granted as far as he knew most Outlanders weren't newly human. Sah would have to cut himself some slack.
Sah
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
“Yeah, sure.” It doesn’t feel like there’s much more she can say on the matter, at least not in her defense, because she’s well aware that the problem isn’t with anything she’s done. Wessex shrugs again, and at this time, the gourds seem to start to take the hint that between their two blades, the little demons are vastly outmatched. Bouncing away, the Wraith finds her fighting stance relaxing and then dissolving completely.

She looks at Sah for a moment, and then the memory of what the Voice said came back to her and something else hits her. It’s probably all connected. She feels a bit like a disappointed mother.

“Anything else you want to tell me while I’m here?” she asks quietly, glancing away and up to the slate grey sky, where nothing flies and snow does not yet fall.
the hallelujah
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah sighed, stabbing the last of the gourds before turning to Wessex. "Yes, there is."

Sah raised his head, eyes meeting Wessex's. "I'm glad that I met the Voice. That opportunity proved to me that she wasn't the monster that the rumors painted her has. Talking to her showed me that she was an equal to the Old Gods. But even so.."

The Abandoned paused, having to swallow harshly before continuing. "I don't think I every told you. But, before coming to Caido, I lived in the service of a Goddess. The patron Goddess of my species who was also the Goddess of the moon." Sah's eyes went to the sky almost instinctively seeking out the moon. Seeking any comfort he could from the familiar sight.

"I served her my entire life and fully intended to do so until I died. I...was also personally close to her. Mune, my Goddess. She became a second mother to me after my own died." He explained, managing to keep his voice steady.

Shaking his head, Sah's eyes went back to the Demi-god. "As such, I don't think I'll ever be loyal to any of Caido's Gods. I can't. And in a war of Gods, if I can't side with one and neutrality isn't an option? I have to chose based on the people." He sighed, a solemn look on his face. "Nearly all of my loved ones, including the family that took me in when I arrived in Caido, are either for or leaning towards the Old Gods. If I want to protect them, I have to do the same."

The Abandoned grimaced. "I hate it, but I can't lose anyone else. Even so..." There was a determined glint in his eyes  "Call me naïve but I won't sit by and allow the Ascended to be destroyed without helping in some way. And it's not much but.." Sah held his arm out, wrist up. "My magic isn't the strongest out there. Not by a long-shot. But if you want or need it to protect your family, and I don't mean for just winning a battle or something, then you can have it."

Offering his magic up was the only thing that Sah could think to do. Wessex might be horribly insulted by it, but if it saved even one innocent Ascended life? Then it was worth it to the Abandoned. If she did accept his offer, he hoped that Wessex would respect his wishes and not use it to try and kill Deimos or the others.
Sah
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
Biting back the scathing words that seam to leap unbidden from her throat, she swallows hypocrite and coward and in the process, draws fluid from her inner cheek. Some very large part of her wants to skewer him where he stands and her fists clench in lieu of steadying breaths. Killing him won’t do anything other than maybe prevent something

“Neutrality is an option,” Wessex begins, “But they don’t want you to think it is, because in their heads anyone who isn’t with them is against them. And it’s not - it doesn’t have to be.” She can’t hide a bit of scorn from her voice as she continues, “You could lead - actually be the leader you say you were, and not accept the rules they’re trying to make everyone play by.” But that would be too difficult, wouldn’t it? And Sah doesn’t seem like he has the strength to make any truly difficult choices.

She’d chosen wrong. And now she needs to accept that her efforts might have been better placed elsewhere.

And his offer is… well, laughable. But the Wraith doesn’t laugh, she just shakes her head. “A better effort would be to not use it against Ascended unless provoked. Don’t go to any battlefield, don’t partake in anything. I can’t use that - I can’t store it until needed.” Looking off towards the Citadel, she crosses her hands over her chest and then looks down at her feet.

“But if you can't agree to that, then I can make you a different deal.”
the hallelujah
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah grit his teeth but remained silently, letting Wessex speak her mind without interruption. When she paused, the Abandoned sighed, exhaustion lining every muscle. "How Wessex? I've fought in wars between Gods before. Every time there's a neutral party, they end up as casualties. Whether by purposeful murder or just being caught in the crossfire. In wars between people, there can be neutrality in some cases.  But neutrality means death when there are gods involved."  

There'd been a time when the Outlander had thought that neutrality was an option. That staying out of a war was an option. But every time a god stepped into the fray? Whether directly or through a champion? Neutrality failed and death followed. The fire and death still echoed in his mind at night. How could he possibly forget the consequences of such a choice?

As for his leadership, that brought a grimace to Sah's face. "I've been in Caido for just over a year. Been human just as long. I'm significantly weaker here then I was at home too. I might have enough qualifications to advise a leader, but I certainly don't qualify to be one. That and..." He trailed off, collecting his thoughts. "I took power at the age of 16 Wessex. I had the weight of leading my entire species. And although there was no way I could have expected, prepared for, much less stopped a fucking apocalypse...they still died under my rule."

A cynical grin emerged, and Sah continued. "Call me a coward, because I surely am one. But I'm not ready to deal with that again. Not yet. Not after everything."

Running an agitated hand through his hair, Sah sighed. "I can't promise that. If I am to ensure the survival of my family, I need to be there to watch their backs. But I'll certainly aim to incapacitate whenever it's possible." There was a flash of something jagged before he continued. "And I can swear this without hesitation. If someone tries to kill the Voice and there isn't a known way to prevent that from resulting in the genocide of the Ascended? I'll do my damn best to kill the fucker before they get the chance. No matter who it is. Or what it will cost me in the end. I've seen one race wiped out. I won't sit by and watch another suffer the same fate." He'd lose whatever bits of his sanity that were left. His humanity for sure, but he'd die without regrets.

A slight snarl escaped him. "And I know my words mean nothing. That they completely contradict. But I fucking don't know how else to look out for my loved ones and prevent genocide. I'm not brilliant so if you have some other solution, I'm all ears."

He'd hear her out. He owed Wessex that at least. And if she had a way? A way to protect Aino, Deimos, Cordelia, and all the rest? A way that would also protect the Ascended? Sah might just say yes, consequences be damned.
Sah
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
“I’ve given you plenty of solutions,” the Wraith says quietly, her voice cutting a chill through the cold, cold air. “… and you have excuses for all of them. I've done so much work, Sah. You want yet another idea?” Wessex laughs, a quiet huff without an accompanying white puff, and looks across to Sah again - this time, she’s genuinely incredulous.

“I don’t understand how you think you’ll stand up to a God when they try to kill the Voice - because only a God can. Six of them tried last time and they couldn’t do it. So you’ll throw your magic uselessly against them but you can’t promise not to use it against Ascended?” Alright. Okay. It doesn’t make any sense to her, but if that’s where he wants to try and plant his good-boy flag, he can go ahead and try. No brownie points here.

Shaking her head, she laughs again, bitter and suddenly very, very tired.

“You don’t want to do the right thing because it’s too hard. That's a privilege few have." Her side will be fighting for their right to exist, against him now, too. Against Gods he's joined, even though they hate him for what he is. It's his choice, though, and it would be her choice, later, to kill him.

“I’m done. Good luck.”
the hallelujah
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah eyed the Demi-god with dead eyes, all emotion vanishing from his face and body language. "None of the ideas of either side align with my goals and so I choose my family." It was as simple as that to the Outlander. He'd found both of Caido's pantheons lacking, both twisted in their own ways. All that thus mattered where the people. His people. The ones who had taken him in, taught him, loved him. Sah would protect them. The way he saw it, most of them were for the Old God. And given that neutrality would fail? It's where he had to be.

As for fighting gods, he'd only meant to buy enough time for retreat or retaliation. But Wessex clearly didn't care bout his reasons. Sah was done attempting to explain his mind.  

"You're right it is a privilege. And what's right would be to step back and let you all, and your Gods, destroy each other. To allow nature to take it's course and for one side to come out on top once and for all. And it likely wouldn't be the Old that did." The Ascended family had too many advantages for it to be a fair fight.

Sah regarded Wessex for a moment. "I'm not perfect. I'm no saint. I'm a person bending to the whims of emotions and the desire to protect the very few people and things that I actually have." The Abandoned turned and began to head out, calling over his shoulder. "For what's its worth, I do genuinely wish you luck. And if we meet on the battlefield and you go to take my life, do me a favor. Make it quick. Painless if you're feeling generous." Sah had no illusion of who would win.

Thoroughly done and wanting nothing more then to crawl into his pile of blankets, Sah heads home.

-{FIN}
Sah