chances and change
for Everest
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

Juniper walked away from the fletcher's stall with an odd feeling in her chest. She hadn't had much time to hunt lately, with her duties as Greatwood Guardian, but she'd come to the Bodega today to trade some of the meat she had managed to kill for other food, supplies, and maybe a few luxuries to make the coming Deepfrost a little warmer. But she'd found that a few of the merchants she usually traded with didn't want to take anything in exchange for her purchases. Ultimately, she'd managed to insist on at least partial payment, but it left her unsettled. It was a great departure from the days when she'd crept into the market, trying to keep a low profile and avoid confrontations. Back then everyone had charged her in full, if not more.

She knew why they'd given her discounts: because of her new role leading the Greatwood. On one hand, it made sense. With her leadership duties, she had less time to hunt and come up with actual trade goods; therefore, the discounts definitely helped keep her afloat, and no one wanted to see their leader shivering in Deepfrost. Well, maybe not nobody: a few merchants had raised their prices for her, or refused to trade with her at all, and she knew they were the ones who disapproved of her policies, of her attempts to open the Greatwood to more trade and more outsiders. They tended to be the ones who'd disliked her before, so it didn't surprise her.

Was it appropriate, though, for a leader to take such discounts? They could be construed as bribes. Juniper knew they wouldn't change her actions -- or, at least, she hoped they wouldn't. But did some of the merchants mean them that way? Would they come knocking on her door asking for favors soon?

As she contemplated the dilemma, she almost ran into someone, nearly dropping her armful of shopping. "Oh! I'm sorry -- I was ..."

Her apologies trailed off as she realized that despite his diminutive height, the person she'd run into wasn't Fae -- no wings. He was, in fact, not only an outsider but a child, and therefore a rare sight in Sidhe Village.
Juniper

"art nouveau winged fairy" by e³°°° is licensed with CC BY-SA 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit here

Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 27 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int: 0
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
Everest
Mateo had been roped into doing a few chores that afternoon, which left the attuned on his own for a few hours. Though his anxiety was creeping up his back with cold fingers that threatened to soon wrap around his throat, the boy was doing his best to keep himself calm by focusing on his notebook and writing down as many observations as he could. Mateo would be done soon, and then they could go play. It would be fine. He was just—

"—sorry!" Ever's apology is as instinctive as it is sincere, and though he drops his notebook, he hops back a foot with his hands splayed in front of his body as if Juniper might be some predator to ward off. "Sorry, sorry, sorry. I didn't see you, because I was focusing on my writing so that I wouldn't panic, and I was doing that because my friend had to help his dads and—" Heaving in a breath so that he might continue this explanation without passing out, he goes on: "—and I wandered off and got lost, and I know I shouldn't have done that, I just saw a really interesting bird and wanted to see what its nest looked like but it kept flying and flying and by the time it stopped I was here and—" The stream of words finally run dry, leaving Ever to blink at Juniper with large worried blue eyes.

"Can you please tell me where I am?" He asks politely.
the words you speak
become the house you live in
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:

Everest's flurry of words startled Juniper even more than running into him did, but she was a patient woman. Listening to him, she could tell that the child was upset, even if she didn't fully understand why -- ah, he was lost. Well, that seemed easy enough to fix. Even if it still struck her as unusual that a non-Fae child should be near enough to the Village to get lost here.

"Don't worry; I can help." She smiled, trying to put the boy at ease. "You're in the Bodega -- the marketplace of Sidhe Village. Where are you supposed to be?"

If she hadn't been carrying all her shopping, she would have bent to pick up Everest's notebook for him, but since her hands were full, she'd just feel grateful that she hadn't dropped her packages.
Juniper

"art nouveau winged fairy" by e³°°° is licensed with CC BY-SA 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit here

Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Everest
"The Bodega?" He repeats, immediately reaching for his pen and notepad on the ground to scribble this down, adding Sidhe Village Marketplace after. "Somewhere along the Stonesong, near the Whispershore I think? That's where Ronin and Remi Taliesin's houseboat is." Juniper likely knew this, but it never hurt to add information. Or so the boy had been taught. "I came here with Mateo Taliesin, but then he had to help his Dads like I said, and..." Well, he'd explained this part of the story already.

"I know the fae are a secretive and distrustful race." He continues, sounding like he was answering the question to some sort of quiz. "And that I shouldn't go where I'm not wanted. And I really didn't mean to. I promise." Ever adds imploringly. "Please can you point me the way back?"
the words you speak
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:

"Secretive and distrustful" isn't a very nice thing to call someone, but Juniper waves it away since Everest is just a child -- clearly he doesn't mean anything by it. He's just repeating what some adult, or perhaps some book, told him about the Fae.

"We don't like outsiders in Sidhe Village, but we also know that people get lost sometimes," she says. "Besides, the Greatwood keeps out most people -- if you found your way here, the woods have likely chosen to let you in."

She smiled on hearing of Everest's intended destination. "I know where the Taliesins live. I can take you there, if you don't mind stopping by my home first to drop off these packages."

There's one more thing she should add: "I'm Juniper. What's your name?"
Juniper

Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Everest blinks for a moment, considering her words. "Oh.." He replies a touch doubtfully, as if thinking it far more likely that the woods let him get this far only so that he could be captured and tossed back out.

Like some sad and misguided puppy, Ever brightens as Juniper mentions she can help get him where he needs to go. That it would come by way of her home is absolutely no consequence to him. "I would really appreciate that. Can I help you carry anything?" He asks, blue eyes darting to the various packages she holds.

"I am Everest Hart. I was named after a mountain in one of the outlander worlds." He replies, and though his fingers fidget, he resists the urge to stick out his hand for her to shake because of the things she holds. "It is a pleasure to meet you Juniper." Ever adds, politeness having been drilled into him on some fundamental level that simply wouldn't let go.
the words you speak
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:

Juniper noted Everest's moment of doubt, but it seemed to pass before she could say anything, so she just maintained her friendly smile.

"If you'd like to take this, that would be helpful," she said, handing him a parcel that contained a nice knitted blanket she'd purchased for Deepfrost. It wasn't too bulky or heavy for the kid, but giving it to him would free up her hands a bit -- though she was mostly trying to give him something to do to make him feel better.

"That's a nice name. Are you parents Outlanders?" Juniper bowed her head slightly, taking his courtesy seriously. After all, etiquette was pretty ingrained in her too, at this point. "It's nice to meet you as well, Everest."
Juniper

Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
It does make him feel better, both because it satisfies the fretting of his hands and also because Ever genuinely does like to be helpful. Holding the package with the utmost care as if it had highly breakable eggs inside instead of a blanket, he sighs gratefully as he follows along.

"No, they were both born in Stormbreak. But my grandparents studied Outlanders when they were still rare. My grandma died before more of them started coming through, though." He answers, frowning. 'Have you always lived here? I don't think I've ever heard of a fae living anywhere other than the Greatwood." The boy's voice rose at the end of this statement making it sound more like a question, which in a way it was.
the words you speak
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:

"I've only been to Stormbreak once," Juniper admitted as they wove their way out of the market. "It seems like a lovely city, however."

Except for the murderous Order and the provision against Abandoned ... but obviously Juniper wasn't going to bring those up to a child.

She frowned. "If you're from Stormbreak, did you come here by skyboat? That's a long journey for you to make alone."

It wasn't that Juniper disapproved, exactly; she had traveled the Greatwood independently from a young age, and she didn't think the Fae would let Everest get in too much trouble here. She was just a bit concerned. Though she supposed he couldn't exactly wander off on a skyboat the way he had this time.

"Yes," she answered. "I was born here, and I only stepped outside the Greatwood for the first time a couple years ago. I've heard of ... one or two Fae living elsewhere, but it's very rare."
Juniper

Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
"It is." The boy agrees with a perfunctory nod. Whether or not he liked Stormbreak, or if his home was better or worse than the Greatwood, he wouldn't guess at, mostly because Juniper hadn't asked. "Yeah. My friend's dads live here, so I come and visit." Ever replied, glancing first up at the fae (she was an adult, and in Ever's young mind that meant she should be tall), before adjusting his gaze.

"Oh I see." The boy hums. "I suppose that's nice in a way. It means all the fae's history stays nice and neat, all of it right there. My dad has shown me entire sections of the library that talk about different groups moving around. They break up and start living in different places, and suddenly it's like they're different people altogether." As he says this, the boy clearly looks a touch glum. Ever's young point of view is that staying together is a goal worth aiming for above all else.
the words you speak
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:

At least Remi and Ronin could keep Everest out of trouble, right? Even if they were conspicuously absent at the moment. Well, wandering the Greatwood wasn't so bad, even if you only ended up in Sidhe Village.

Juniper pushed away her concerns, reminding herself that she had been allowed to roam on her own at a young age and had never come to any significant harm. Instead she focused on Everest's words. "Yes, the Fae have been a single, independent people for a very long time. Our long lifespans may have something to do with that -- and our physical features set us apart from the rest of Caido."

Still, Everest's words made Juniper wonder how different Caido might be now if factions of Fae had ever left the Greatwood and settled elsewhere. She suspected that such bonds of history might have made it easier for the Fae to reach out to other peoples ... or perhaps their departure would have been such a rupture as to create bitter rivalry between those who left and those who stayed behind.

"The Greatwood is our home," Juniper added. "It's not just a place -- it has a spirit of our own that is indelibly linked with ours."
Juniper

Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
'Oooh right. I had forgotten about how much longer you live than we do.' Ever says a touch bashfully, blushing as he made a mental note not to forget that detail of the fae ever, ever again.

"I like the Greatwood a lot. I think it's a very special place." The boy says, offering Juniper a warm and entirely genuine smile. Glancing around and realizing that he recognized the trees and could hear the rushing of the water, Ever's shoulders relaxed a good deal as it occurred to him that he suddenly wasn't lost anymore.

"I can find my way back from here." He says, encouraged to know where he was. Offering Juniper back the parcel he carried, he straightens and then offers her a solemn but polite nod of his head. "Thank you so much for walking with me and getting me here safely." Ever says, as if he was being graded on his communication skills by some unseen eye.

There you are! Come on! He hears Mateo calling out. With another smile and a wave to Juniper, Ever walks briskly toward the houseboat.

~FIN
the words you speak