[se] so step right out
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
the lullaby
Love isn't all that it seems
I did you wrong
Bundled up in hand-knit sweaters compliments of Vai and blanks, Remi's twins sat perched in two wicker baskets beneath the large boughs of a maple tree. Hidden for the most part from the falling snow, the alchemist judged that so long as they weren't getting wet or cold that a bit of snow wouldn't hurt them. Cackling with delight, Flora was reaching out a pudgy hand toward a shiny bug that flit and zoomed around her cradle. Each time it darted this way or that, it would tinkle, as if there were small bells attached to its feet. Having never seen anything like it before, Remi knelt by his daughter and peered at the small insect that seemed perfectly content to keep both her and her brother entertained.

Jingle bugs | These flying bugs have an abdomen that's the shape of a bell. Not unlike how crickets are able to chirp by rubbing their legs together, jingle bugs are able to recreate the sound of a ringing bell. Bells sounds vary based on the size of the bug (smaller bugs created higher-pitched bells, while larger bugs (the largest being the size of a basketball), sound more like a gong)
I'll stay here with you
Until this dream is gone
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
Remi would likely sense the new presence amongst the trees long before the soft crunch of snow between heavy steps could be heard. Slow and steady, a leisurely pace set by a sizeable creature...though one bearing no predatorial will. Quite the opposite in fact, flighty instincts suppressed only by intent of purpose.

The Nightingale had learned many seasons past to respect the sentience of the Greatwood, having given it many gifts of water and compost to nurture its roots on her infrequent visits. But the demigoddess of Frey would be well-remembered, the young woman having called upon the gods to save a precious Undine one upon a memory, and though slow moving guided her hooved steps to the person she sought.

"Hello, Remi..." her voice softly rang within the mind of the Lullaby, shy and sheepish as the unicorn finally broke through the line of foliage to stand before the man and his children. "I...I hope you don't mind, but I thought I ought apologize in person..."
not many knew her struggle
but eventually all knew her light
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
the lullaby
I did you wrong
The crunch of snow was too heavy for it to be caused by Ronin's hooves, and so Phoebe will find the alchemist turned towards her, predatory instincts on guard and his muscles itching to spring. That it wasn't a threat was a bit of a disappointment to his more murderous nature that would happily have torn the throat out of whatever was approaching his twins.

Phoebe's voice rang in his mind, which only soothed the Lullaby a few degrees. His last correspondence with the Nightingale hadn't been a particularly pleasant one, and the last thing Remi wanted or needed right now was a lecture. "She says, as a unicorn." It's a weak attempt at humour if only because they are old friends.

In one of the cradles, Enzo has spied the unicorn and begins to make frantic motions at her with his tiny fists. Flora still content with the jingly bug flitting around her, ignores Phoebe for now.
I'll stay here with you
Until this dream is gone
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
The unicorn froze in place, aware of the predator she stood before to an unnerving degree. Only when he seemed to relax - albeit only slightly - did she give in to the urge to shake the snow from her fur. She supposed some day she would become accustomed to the intensity of these instinctual feelings...but today was not that day.

She twisted her head, tail swishing as she examined herself. "I would've shifted back earlier but...well four legs are faster than two." But the sudden motion in the cradle caught her attention as she spied the little boy. Despite her desire to rush up to the boy, she stayed put, instead blowing air through her lips to make a funny flappy noise at him. It would have to do for now.

The Nightingale refocused then, shifting back rather ungracefully, stumbling as she rebalanced herself on two feet. "I'm...I'm sorry for my letter. For what I wrote." she said after a moment's pause. "I shouldn't have second guessed you or criticized your actions regarding your own children." Phoebe bit her lip and glanced at the snow. She had many reasons for her words that she could have listed at length. But none really mattered. She had stepped out of line. That was the long and short of it. "I hope you can forgive me..."
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
I did you wrong
Instinctively, or perhaps because of his recent visit with Mort, Remi's hands shoot forward to help steady Phoebe, though the Nightingale seems to have her balance under control. Her apology was both exactly what he needed to hear and yet totally lacking, leaving the alchemist feeling a touch hollow and cagey despite his friend's clear efforts to try and smooth things over. "I know you meant well." He says at last, running a hand through his curls which did nothing to smooth them down. "It...I didn't have a lot of patience to spare when I replied to your letter." Which as of right now was about the closest to an apology as Phoebe was going to get from him.

Behind him, Enzo blurbles, unhappy that the unicorn was gone but interested in Phoebe (her long hair, specifically) just the same. Turning, Remi's expression instantly softening and melting, he sighs. "Would you like to meet them?" He asks, turning his head over his shoulder and already knowing what Phoebe's answer would be.

"This is Enzo." He says of his son, before looking toward the boy's sister, still trying to grasp the jingle bug. "And this is Flora."
I'll stay here with you
Until this dream is gone
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe managed a small smile as Remi stepped forward to her aid. Even when irritated with her, he came to her aid. "Sometimes meaning well isn't enough though, is it?" she said wryly. Roads paved with good intentions could still lead to terrible places. She reached out to take his hand if he allowed, squeezing it gently. "So long as we are good, then it doesn't matter." she said softly. Being on bad terms with Remi was the worst. She just wanted to move passed it.

"At any rate, rest assured that nothing their mother has is catching, and I am working on getting her well again." she reported. That solution would take some time to reach, but he could at least not worry about the health of his children now.

But as soon as the attention was turned to the twins, all thoughts of difficult conversations were swept from her mind. "Of course I do!" The Nightingale said with excitement, hurrying over to sit before the two children. "Oh Remi, they are precious!" she said, barely resisting the urge to squeal in delight. Grinning brightly, she gently tickled Enzo's chubby cheeks. "You are trouble, aren't you silly boy?" she cooed. With her other hand she did the same to Flora. "And aren't you just a busy little Miss!"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
I did you wrong
"No, but it helps." Intentions didn't change the outcome, she was right about that, but it did help soften things if they turned out poorly. Which this had. 'We are.' He agrees with a sigh, softly squeezing her fingers back. The mention of Hotaru though has the alchemist stiffening considerably. His upper lip curls slightly and if there are words that are forming on his tongue, he bites them back. "Thank you." He manages, barely, before huffing out a breath of frustration and turning to the twins.

Watching as Phoebe made a fuss of the babies, Remi folds his arms comfortably across his chest. "They have been really good. Better than Mateo or Aoife ever were." Chuckling slightly he lets his head tilt to the side to see around Phoebe. "That's probably all Vai's influence though. They've been staying with her." He explains, honestly if not guiltily.
I'll stay here with you
Until this dream is gone
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Her fingers tightened around his as he stiffened, turning her sympathetic gaze on him. The whole thing was a very complicated situation, made only more difficult by Hotaru's mental state. But the worst would pass in time, and from it came two beautiful new lives (which, if she had to guess, had been Frey's plan from the start given the potential state of the future).

"Not all, but Vai does have a way of keeping everyone in line without hardly a word." Phoebe said with a grin. Carefully she picked up little Enzo, cradling him close. "But being twins, they've also each other to keep themselves occupied. Mateo and Aoife didn't have built in playmates like that." The Nightingale turned the boy to peer at the jinglebug that yet held his sister's attention. "Plus, who could be fussy with fun little jingle bugs about, right?" she said with a grin, rocking in time with the little bell noises the bug made.

Glancing over at him, still grinning from ear to ear because babies, Phoebe asked, "Any new directives from Ludo?" she asked, not yet knowing of Remi's most recent luck of meeting the god of death himself.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
I did you wrong
Considering this, Remi nods. "I suppose you're right." They did have each other, flailing and snarling at the world anytime they were separated. 'Oh? Is that what they're called?' He asks of the bug still flying just out of Flora's reach. Whether the creature was stupid or docile he had no idea, but so far it was doing a good job of keeping the girl's attention while keeping itself alive.

"Not yet. I plan to go and ask for more defences for the Greatwood. Trees that would hold an ascended in place rather than killing them, should any try and enter the woods." He explains. "When last I spoke to Ludo it told me not to start the war, but then..." Remi's smile becomes golden and sunny as he recalls his meeting with the god of death. "..I met Mort. He sent me to find a relic in the desert, which I did, so..it feels like a bit of mixed messaging." He admits with a chuckle.
I'll stay here with you
Until this dream is gone
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"I think so. I read about some sort of bell like bug in the Stormbreak library called a jingle bug. This seems to fit the description." she said with a smile, very much content to snuggle Enzo and watch Flora play with the musical little critter.

The Nightingale listened quietly, nodding here and there. "Delphia isn't back then, I take it, if you're doing all of that?" she asked. While Phoebe had never met Mort's daughter before, she had heard whispers here and there, and knew she was to reside within the wood, and more importantly that she had not been seen in a long while. But the news of Mort had her eyes widening. "You met Mort?! What...what is he like? Did you find the relic?" she asked in disbelief.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
I did you wrong
"Well...I am the leader of the Greatwood now." Remi replies with a soft shrug. It wasn't all Delphia's responsibility. Maybe not even her responsibility at all. "But no, I have not seen Delphia in some time. Though...that isn't really unusual for her." Mort's daughter likely had her own priorities and responsibilities to negotiate.

"I did, yes." Beaming now and unable to help himself, such was the effect Mort still had on his soul, the alchemist smiles. "He was...incredible. When he touched me it was like....like I was illuminated inside and out. Like there could be no darkness or sadness when he was around." Remi explains, though poorly. Meeting Mort would take every word that Remi knew and then some to describe properly.

"We did...although..." Sighing sadly, Remi's smile loses much of its joy. "Sunjata came. His companion Haai...she didn't make it out."
I'll stay here with you
Until this dream is gone
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe blinked, both surprised and somehow...not? She had known somehow that Remi now led the Greatwood but...it had been far from the forefront of her mind. Remi was many things that were much more important to her than his political status. But she smiled warmly, laughing a bit. "I suppose you are, now aren't you? It seems people will follow you wherever you go." she said with a cheeky grin. First Torchline, now here. Even before his voice had held great weight in the Hollowed Grounds - at least she had always thought so. Yet it seemed he did in fact lack the other death associated demigoddess' aid in his endeavors. "A shame really...It would be nice I think to have the view point of someone born into this role in all of this...mess." she said with a sad sigh. Divine wars, impending doom, old versus new...surely there was some depth they were missing!

As he described Mort to her, a beautiful ode to a god who seemed naught but pure goodness...the Nightingale could not help but feel guilt and self doubt begin to creep up in her gut. "I hope someday to meet him while I am yet alive." she said softly, a sad smile upon her lips as she gazed down at the infant in her arms. She had not been reborn when the highest of the old gods had called upon them all. She had not seen the faces of the three almighty the Heralds served, and she in turn. It was hard to not feel insignificant and useless in the presence of one so blessed to have seen them all and even met some more personally. What was she missing, not doing - what bar was she not reaching - to be worthy of such note, to be equal to her peers? Perhaps it was simply not meant to be. What use was a midwife to Vi or Mort or Rae after all? "I...hate to admit that I am jealous of your blessings." she said with a light laugh.

But the news twisted her expression into one of horror. Though Sunjata was by far one of her least favorite people - in competition with Bastien of course - to lose a companion was incomprehensible. Thoughts of losing Pim or Branbast...she shivered, holding Enzo closer as though to shield him from the dread she felt. "I...if this is a foreshadowing of the suffering to come, I can't imagine what will become of Caido..." she said softly. To have a piece of one's own soul killed...no wonder Frey had given her the task of preserving what little hope they might have.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
I did you wrong
A touch bashfully, the alchemist shrugs. "It helps to be Ludo's chosen in that regard, I think. All the more so here in the Greatwood." Truth be told, it wasn't so much that the fae were following him, so much as his mere presence demanded it.

"I am sure you will. Something tells me that we are not done with being summoned on high." Remi says with a rueful smile, not feeling at all privileged in the way that Phoebe and others might have expected of him. However at the explicit mention of her jealousy, Remi's expression changes to one of soft incredulity as he gives his head a firm shake. "You of all my friends should know at what cost these BleSsInGs have come." He says softly. What he wouldn't give to have Aoife back, to have his simple life with Ronin before death and resurrection and yet more death still.

Whether or not it was foreshadowing Remi wouldn't comment. Both he and Ronin had left their companions at home precisely to keep them safe, though if he held Sunjata responsible, he wouldn't say it out loud. "It is not a good feeling, I can certainly tell you that." He murmurs, thinking of Isla. "But enough of all that. How are you?"
I'll stay here with you
Until this dream is gone
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"So things are still going well with them then?" Phoebe asked with a small smile. Remi's relationships with the gods was complicated at best, his patron Ludo being no exception. But if he was here, welcomed by their woods, leading the few who called it home, certainly he was in the herald's good graces - and vice versa.

Phoebe smirked mischievously, "I would not put it past Frey to leave me behind because they find it boring or unimportant." she said, jokingly of course. The whims of the herald were the basis of their behavior, and that which bored them was well known to cause an adverse reaction. But of course, they had their own bosses to report to as well. She doubted even Frey could skirt a "business meeting" in favor of more pleasurable activities. "I know, I know." she said with a light laugh as he reminded her the cost of his blessings and favor. She was not immune to it either, though in ways that differed from his. "Jealousy is rarely logical though. And isn't it typical of the youngest to wish to be like their older siblings?" she said teasingly. There were many good reasons to aspire to be like Remi, she thought - the first and foremost being the family he had and she yet yearned for. It had been the source of much pain for him, but only because it was an equal source of joy.

"I am well I suppose." she said with a small smile, happy enough to change subjects. "Still working towards Frey's baby garden. With this new shift I can get around much easier at least." she said. She glanced down at the baby boy in her arms once more. Things were good. Fine. The calm before the storm. Yet it was hard not to feel somewhat...empty. Sunjata's would have been two. Emmett's child would have been almost four. Or was it five? "The years really do fly by, don't they?" she said, looking up at him with a smile.