{SE} so blue just thinking about you
For Harper <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Trying to move on was a funny thing. There were moments were Maeve thought she would drown or simply curl up and refuse to exist, but it was hard to give into that when there was a baby to take care of. A baby that was already starting to crawl and grow bigger by the day. Edmund was an incredibly good distraction. Even if parts of him were a constant reminder of what was lost to her now. Still, she was happy to have him.

Jade eyes flick between her toddler who is currently crawling around her garden under Aidon's watchful gaze and the embroidery she's working on for his blanket. Gold and silver thread twining together to form his name on the edge as she embroiders along the edge carefully. A little fist reaches for one of her plants and she calls out softly, "No, no, petite étoile. Don't touch." Aidon is already there to corral him away from the plant towards much safer areas of the garden.
Fight so dirty, but your love's so sweet
Talk so pretty, but your heart got teeth
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Harper
love many things
for therein lies true strength
Winter is a strange time for Harper. He wouldn’t venture so far as to say he hates it, but he certainly dislikes it. Dark thoughts and morose evenings are more plentiful when the sun is so scarce in the sky. Luckily his time is still spent mostly in Torchline, which persists stubbornly, striving for mild weather and nothing less. It is difficult to see Phoebe so irregularly, but at least they are reunited. It keeps him going on days when loneliness threatens to set in.

Loneliness is what drives him to Haulani. Here there are always people to be found; noise, chatter, companionship even in passing association. That is what he was initially counting on at least. Recognition is inevitable of course with how long he has lived her and his new council position, but Maeve isn’t a face he’d anticipated. Much less the tiny little tot of a child she is pursuing.

Harper scarcely recalls how he makes it to her side, practically teleporting to her side where he shakes like an anxious tiny dog with excitement at the mere prospect of a baby being in his vicinity. Unwilling to frighten the child, he hangs just far enough back to give space, but his face aches immediately with the splitting grin on his face that is shown to Maeve as his head whips back and forth between them, reluctant to look away from Aidon and his little charge but needing permission from mom. “Maeve! Oh my gods! Look at him!” All manners forgotten, salutations abandoned as his tanned arms reach eagerly, hands making childish grasping motions at Edmund.
and what is done in love
is always done well
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Harper appears out of nowhere and her surprise is clear on her face, lighting up her eyes as a smile curls on her lips at his gushing, laughing softly at the overly eager grin that splits his face. "Harper, it's good to see you." She greets, watching as he instantly kneels, holding his hands out to Edmund who pauses, a hand braced on Aidon's back as he wobbles a bit on his feet. He's still figuring out the whole balance thing and walking is fairly new too, but the babe does his very best. Blue eyes look between Maeve and Harper, dark brows knitting together as he eyes the new person, "Mu!" Edmund babbles, taking a little step forward and then another, "Go on, love. It's fine."

She encourages the toddler, laughing as he begins to slowly toddle forward towards Harper's waiting arms, extending his own to reach for him. He manages to get there, falling forward just within reach of him and letting out a delighted giggle, giving him a gummy smile. "Harper, this is Edmund. Edmund, this is Harper." She introduces easily, pausing in her needlework to watch the interaction, expression softening to see how Edmund takes to him right away.

Aidon eyes them both, but at feeling no concern from Maeve he relaxes, moving to lounging in a sunny spot in the garden instead. "How are you doing? Well?"
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Harper
love many things
Yes yes, very good to see her, but there’s a baby. Pretty much every word she speaks turns to white noise as he stares down (even on his knees because Edmund is so tiny!) at chubby cheeks tinged pink with the mild cold. He wants to hold him so bad his arms ache with the desire to squish Edmund’s tiny body against his chest. Luckily the boy seems just as interested, and with his mother’s encouragement, brave enough to try it out.

Harper’s heart melts into goo as the toddler takes tiny, exaggerated steps towards him, and happily catches him when balance is inevitably lost. Squeaking unashamedly, Harper scoops him up and falls backwards over his knees and onto his ass to cuddle the boy in a cocoon of thighs and arms. Giving a little shake of excitement back and forth as he buries his nose in the dark thatch of hair on the babe’s head. Inhaling the baby smell that still lingers even months later.

“Hel-lo, Eddie-Bear!” he croons in singsong, pressing exaggeratedly loud kisses to the baby’s face, grinning like a loon between every ‘mwah’. Only when he’s content he has kissed every inch of skin readily available does Harper turn his attention back to Maeve, radiating joy like a miniature sun in a human body. “Perfect now,” he admits with a giddy, boyish laugh. Rocking to and fro on his butt to turn towards Maeve while entertaining the toddler in his arms. “And how are you?” She’d been the one to give birth after all.
and what is done in love
is always done well
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Oh. Oh. There were few things that Maeve thought could melt her heart more than Edmund did on a daily basis, but seeing Edmund with Harper makes her heart leap in her chest. It's just too fucking cute. Tooth rotting, gum aching, toe curling cute. Maeve watches as Edmund squeals in delight, throwing tiny arms around Harper in return, a gummy smile on his face as Harper falls back with him. The babe laughs and giggles, squirming with each kiss that Harper presses to his cheeks, "Babababa!" He babbles, leaning back a little to get a look at Harper, a little hand coming up to pat at his cheek.

Maeve laughs again, "He has that affect on people." She says easily, looking down at the embroidery in her lap, pulling another stitch through. The question makes her pause, the smile on her lips faltering, eyes shuttering with a quiet cold as she takes a breath, lifting her shoulders in a shrug. "I've been better." She admits softly, opening up to him in that way she always does because it's Harper and the many late nights they shared together in the Halenani flash through her mind. He's always been there to listen to her. Always.

"Locke left. Disappeared. He came back and left. Which... Is fine, I guess. Just- just it's been a lot trying to handle him and Torchline and everything else. I'm okay, though. Used to going it alone." Maeve gives him a sad smile, eyes falling to Edmund who seems very interested in tugging at Harper's hair, "I at least have him."
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
love many things
Harper is pretty sure he could die here and have zero regrets, and go out feeling the happiest he’s been in a long while too. Edmund’s skin is baby-soft and pudgy, and his happy nonsensical babbling melts Harper’s poor, vulnerable heart. As if it ever stood a chance. Harper turns to press more dramatic kisses to Edmund’s hand as it comes to touch his cheek, uncaring of the slightly sticky nature of all children’s fingers. Happily wrinkling his nose to provide another fun texture for the babe to explore with his hand.

It’s hard to switch gears and be the shoulder Maeve needs, but Harper is nothing if not flexible, and multitasking was made for a brain like his. Scooting closer and settling by her feet, still rocking side to side to keep Edmund entertained, Harper gazes up at her quietly, blue eyes earnest and attentive. Something that hasn’t changed in the years he has been at her side, both as friend and protector, since he’d moved to Torchline years ago.

“I’m sure he makes things worth it,” he agrees with a small, tender smile. But he can read the exhaustion bruised beneath her eyes, and Harper leans sideways into her legs, letting the warmth of his body seep through the blanket covering them. “You don’t have to do it alone Mae-bell. I’m not here just for council purposes - if you need a day or two or even a week off, I’m more than happy to babysit. Or if you want time with just Edmund, I can do your errands.” He means every word. Harper is nothing if not a devoted friend; his body is more than trained to keep going even on the longest of days, and putting that to use after all these years of relative peace is no sacrifice for him. If anything, it will feel like atonement. Like he’s somehow earning this paradise that Caido is to him - a paradise he scarcely deserves.
and what is done in love
is always done well
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Hate to break it to you, Harper, but you stood no chance. Not a single fucking one. Edmund would have broken through any walls and melted any ice that potentially surrounded his heart. He squeals in delight at the kisses, trying to grab at Harper's lips, but failing given his lack of fine motor skills. It's much easier to take a hold of his nose and hair, squeezing and tugging, giggling as he wiggles in Harper's grasp.

Harper settles against her legs, the weight a warm comfort that she didn't realize she was in desperate need of, drawing a shaky breath from her lips. She pauses in her embroidering, the words leaving her in a bit of a rush, soft and vulnerable in how raw they are. Her emotions bared for him to even without an Attuned bond connecting them. Her throat tightens and she swallows thickly, nodding at his words as a watery smile settles on her lips, tears threatening to slip down her cheeks. "He does. More than worth it."

The term of endearment spreads a warmth through her chest and she realizes just how much she's missed having someone. She's been so alone. Even since before Locke disappeared. To even just have this support from him is more than she could ask for. "Thank you, love. That's very kind of you to offer. I appreciate it more than you know. I'm sure Edmund would be thrilled as well." As if to confirm his mother's words, Edmund offers another series of squeals and babbles, patting at his chest excitedly before he grips onto his shirt in a little fist.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
love many things
Little hands aren’t capable of being too damaging, but even if they were Harper would gladly submit himself to it. Curls are an attractive temptation, and Harper laughs and blows a gust of air against Edmund’s nose, letting feathers form in his hair for the boy to explore. It’s a different energy than the one he can feel from Maeve but the change isn’t difficult. Maybe watching her son having such a good time is even helpful for her state of mind.

The shine of tears in her eyes makes his heart ache, even though the words themselves are positive. “You're welcome. It’s never a burden - and neither are you. I’m here if you ever need to talk, about anything.” Momentarily distracted by Edmund fisting a hand in his shirt - inevitably stretching the soft cotton out - Harper turns his attention back to the boy for a moment, allowing Maeve a moment to perhaps collect herself before he speaks again. “Do you know why they left? Should we be trying to find Aurelia?” Was she gone of her own accord, or some other sinister reason as Harper himself had once experienced?
and what is done in love
is always done well
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

A soft sound of awe pushes past Edmund's lips as feathers appear in his curls, eagerly trying to grab a handful of them, lacking the fine motor skills to really get a grip. He tries, though. The gust of air against his nose makes him jerk back a little bit, blinking rapidly in confusion, but there are soon new peals of laughter ringing out through the garden. The interaction does serve as a good distraction for Maeve. It keeps the tears at bay as well as anything else will in this moment. She reaches up to wipe quickly at her eyes, drawing in a shaky breath in an attempt to banish that tightness that's building in her chest, threatening to choke her if she doesn't manage to get a hold on her emotions.

Aidon sends a reassuring warmth along their bond, attempting to soothe his bonded's aching heart as her mind flits to all those that have left her and those who might still turn her away, but his comfort does enough in combination with Harper and Edmund to keep her together.

She shakes her head, "Locke... Locke said he couldn't be with me. That he'd be her for me and for Edmund, but we couldn't be together, but he just disappeared. He was here one day and then gone. All I can think is that he ran off again. Just like he did before." There was a bitterness in her voice, hurt there that was hard to ignore and push away, but she tried her best. Aurelia was an entirely different story. "Aurelia went to help Remi, Ronin, and Sunjata look for something in the desert. They came back, but she didn't. They didn't say where she went. All I can think is that she fled too or something worse."
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
love many things
Admittedly Harper hadn't known Locke as well as he'd known Maeve. Another permanent fixture in Torchline, they'd run across each other frequently in their daily lives, but they'd only spent a few moments here and there in the solitude of each other's company. Harper is not a man predisposed to holding grudges or being swayed from impartiality, but there's a darkness to his frown that he tries to conceal from Maeve by slightly turning his head. The desire to see good in everyone warring with the at times overbearing protectiveness of all those he considered his. And Maeve was certainly one of his flock.

"Then let him stay gone," his voice curls in smoky threat, a scarcely heard tone. Like a deep, still lake. Smooth on the surface, but with the knowledge that there is something very wrong beneath. "And if he returns, I'd ask you let me know before you speak to him. You're entitled to your privacy, but your heart leads you Maeve. Let me be there to mediate. Professionally or personally." Whichever way she called upon him, it wouldn't matter. Harper wouldn't let Locke harm Maeve in either capacity any longer.

Aurelia, on the other hand, is a more difficult mystery. "We can't spare the manpower with the war breathing down our necks, but I'll do some patrols from the sky when I can." Whether that would bring any comfort to Maeve he can't be sure. Did she wish for Aurelia back? He wasn't privy to the intricacies of their relationship, but Harper had been trained to spot those sorts of intertwining threads. He'd kindly averted his eyes each time, but now he wonders if he shouldn't have. "Have you spoken to Safrin recently?" About Torchline, herself, it didn't matter.
and what is done in love
is always done well
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

The reaction from Harper wasn't an unfamiliar one. In all the years that Maeve has known Harper she's always known him to be protective. He was quick to intervene at a moments notice whenever there was trouble at the Halenani. The Attuned was always there for her. Always. There was a comfort in knowing that. In hearing that dark promise in his voice that told her he was on her side. He would always be on her side. As her friend, her councilman, a protector, and whatever else she needed. Maeve glances down at Harper and she can't help the slight smile that attempts to tug on her lips despite the circumstances. Such blatant loyalty was hard to come by and here he was, giving it to her freely, no strings attached and no questions asked.

Her cheeks flush at his words. Your heart leads you. It always has. It likely always will. Despite how bruised and broken it had become thanks to careless hands that were unwilling to be gentle with her. To handle her with the delicacy and care she deserved. That she needed. Maeve heaves a sigh, "I know... Despite my best efforts." She murmurs, running a hand through her curls, pushing back a few errant strands from her face. The Nightshade looks down to meet his gaze, "I'll let you know if he comes back. I'm not sure he will, but if he does..." She trails off, letting the words go unsaid, not needing to finish.

"I know. I wish we could look for her. Before she left we were making plans for Torchline. Things we wanted to do for the people. I don't feel like she would have just abandoned things, but Aurelia was complicated. She had a lot going on.. Maybe it got to her." Maeve didn't know for sure, but it was all she could think. The Nightshade reaches down to run her fingers through Edmund's curls as the babe continues to tug at Harper's shirt. The next question has her nodding, "I have actually. Twice. I turned in my quest and the result was more than I was expecting. I asked fr something to keep Edmund safe, but she gave me more than that. Not just Edmund, but all children. Anytime there is danger they'll be taken into her light until it's passed." A great gift from their goddess. A generosity that Maeve still couldn't believe despite the fact that it had happened. "I also went with Jack. Finally got him his Skyship and thus his loyalty."
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
love many things
He isn't privy to her smile, but he catches the edge of it as he turns his head and watches it slip away. Though he regrets having caused such a reaction, sometimes it takes a friend pointing out your flaws to try and keep them from hurting you again. He would never want to stifle her open heart, but he'd like to see it wounded less.

"If he does," he repeats back with a short, decisive nod, and leaves it there. Much as he'd like to give Locke the benefit of the doubt, his loyalty was to Maeve; as a friend, as his Queen. If Maeve could not protect herself, weakened in the face of love, Harper would protect her instead.

Maeve certainly new Aurelia better, so he hums softly and lets her speak, rocking Edmund gently in his lap. "We can still work on whatever plans you had even without her. You'll just have to share them with Ray and I instead." Together, the two of them could surely equal Aurelia in the burdens they could take on. Though he's stunned by her next words, turning to gaze up at her, eyes wide and lips slightly parted. A blossom of hope builds in his chest, right there along other plans he'd held close to his heart where no others could see. "You're kidding. Gods, Maeve, that's incredible! I have to tell Phoebe!" She would be ecstatic to hear of such protections for the youth of Caido. Maybe it would encourage others to still create families even with the clouds of war pressuring them from above. News of Jack goes a little over his head - he'd never liked the smuggling aspect of Torchline much as a former vigilante, and now as a councilman. He knows the man very little, and would prefer to keep it that way for now.
and what is done in love
is always done well
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve nods at his words, turning her attention back to her embroidering, finishing off the last few stitches and tying off the thread. She holds it up, the sunset orange of the blanket catching the afternoon light, the silver and gold stars she embroidered into the fabric glinting, making her smile before she folds it across her lap. "I want to start focusing on Torchline's defenses. I don't have any intention of harming the Ascended if it can be helped, but given the attack on Halo and the growing tensions... I think it would be unwise to simply expect them to keep to themselves." She was curious on his thoughts here. What he might suggest. If he had any ideas on what they could do to protect Torchline in the coming years.

She smiles. One of the first that actually lights up her eyes, jade gaze brightening as she meets his own, nodding at his words. "Please do. I think she'll be happy to hear. I didn't know Safrin would do that much." The goddess had always been willing to give for her, but this went beyond her. Way beyond her. It was for all of the parents in Caido. All of the children. Everyone who was scared to bring a child into this world. They wouldn't have to worry about that any longer.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
love many things
Harper admires the fine floss threads she’d used for the embroidery, watching it glint in the pale winter sunlight. “Beautiful. Who is it for?” A baby blanket perhaps? Or a gift for someone else?

The subject of Torchline’s defenses has him tilting his head in consideration. “That’s a difficult question as I’m sure you know. Whatever you decide will have political ramifications in regards to the war. Even the most seemingly innocuous choice, if it singles out Ascended, will be regarded as a move against them even though Torchline is seen as Safrin’s land.” Something that had started with Sunjata but hadn’t faded since, especially with Safrin appointing the next leaders. “There are bolts she gave me though, for the Skyboat docks. I haven’t told anybody else - but they cause great discomfort when an Ascended goes near them.” It was a level of trust to reveal this to her, but he wouldn’t hide it from his Queen either. “I think instead, you could make a singular building like a stronghold. One that Ascended cannot enter. Something defensible, that we can then strengthen over time; making it impervious to fire, for example. A place for citizens to go, so that what happened in Halo can’t happen here.” Though no citizens had been harmed as far as he was aware, there had been a dragon, and fire. Those were things they could do. “Then if the war comes to our shores, those we cannot or will not fight can hide away safely.” But that was Harper’s manner of thinking - protect and defend instead of take the offensive angle.

“I was going to ask her if she’d start a family with me actually,” he admits quietly, curls hiding his eyes as he stares down at Edmund. It’s a terrifying prospect, though Maeve wouldn’t know why. But it’s also exciting. And now only Maeve knows aside from Harper himself.
and what is done in love
is always done well