bits and bobs
for Melita
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
Juniper had, of course, prepared tea and other refreshments for her guest. It had become such a routine by now that she always made sure the embassy was well-stocked. Offering a hot drink was the least she could do for someone coming all the way to the Greatwood to aid the Fae.

The tea sat steeping in the embassy's conference room -- which contained a seating area with comfy chairs as well as a more formal conference table -- while Juniper sat at the front desk, catching up on her correspondence while she awaited Melita's arrival. An absent smile played over Juniper's face; she was glad to make some progress on Safrin's quest. The Fae could not afford to disappoint the goddess again.
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Melita
they should have checked the ashes
of the women they burned alive
Melita had been roaming the Greatwood far more as of late – assisting Maeve, meeting with Ronin, catching up on snowy, ivory-varnished experiences she’d missed in all the other iterations and interactions along winter’s touch. The Fae’s notice board had intrigued her (mostly because what did they need all those pieces for?), and though she’d never met Juniper, the youth proceeded and paraded with little rue or regret towards the Sea of Branches.

Half-tempted to admire the rushing water, she didn’t forget her cause and course, presiding soon before the embassy with wide eyes and Fangorn at her side. Smuggler by occupation and a ridiculously impulsive, reckless, unrelenting little force by any other stretch, a place of diplomats and sanctity had never been a threshold she’d pressed within. Shown the way by others, arms interwoven over Fangorn in front of her chest, weapons all over her frame by way of habit (and no one was going to tell her otherwise), the Accepted eventually came towards the conference area. Head twisting and turning, gilded eyes inspecting, she only lifted them briefly to gaze upon the Fae – very different from Delah. “Hello. I’m Melita.” A pause, pondering over other notions, wondering if she should offer a hand or if there were other customs. “You must be Juniper?”
because it takes a single wild ember
to bring a whole wildfire to life
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper stood when Melita approached, placing a welcoming smile on her face. She was just about to ask if this woman were Melita when she introduced herself.

"Yes, I'm Juniper." Gesturing at the sitting area, Juniper added, "Please, take a seat and have some refreshments."

Sitting herself, Juniper pushed the tray towards her guest, taking a cup of tea for herself. It made her smile a little to realize that she no longer needed the drink to calm her nerves upon meeting a new person. She'd been so shy once -- but practice had made her feel much more at ease around strangers.

"Thank you for coming," she continued. "You saw the Notice Board post?"

table by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Melita
It seemed her presumptions had been somewhat astute, and the gilded gaze blinked once or twice, before she settled her form into a seat. Not even remotely shy, she grabbed hold of Fangorn, placing him in her lap, before her hands spiraled over a few treats, snagging at a piece of bread and some tea. The gourd’s vines reached forward, and she granted him a smaller portion that he greedily munched on, before finally addressing the matter at hand.

“You’re welcome,” she chirped. “I’m an Accepted, so I’d fit your request.” She shrugged her shoulders, eyes absentmindedly flickering over some other portions she hadn’t noticed in the embassy, before settling back upon the Fae. “But I wanted to know what it was for before I gave anything away.” Even if it was simply hair or nails or blood; wise enough now to understand how the systems always worked.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper smiled at Fangorn, privately comparing him to the gourds that had plagued Caido in Leafchange. When they weren't trying to bite you, vampire gourds could be pretty cute, as it turned out.

She nodded at the condition Melita specified. "That's reasonable. We need bits -- hair, nails, blood, etc. -- from each race to fulfill a quest for Safrin. The quest's purpose is to make sure that Ascended can't use the portal to appear at the Greatwood's heart, bypassing its borders."

A sigh rose from Juniper as she contemplated the conflict that made the quest necessary. "I'm sure you can see why such a thing is desirable, in the current climate. But it should be a purely defensive measure."

table by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
The mention of the Ascended brought something into her skull, thinking of Nate. “I thought you already banned them from the Greatwood?” She understood the convictions of the Fae – but perhaps she’d misunderstood – pondering, wondering, how many times the Ascended hadn’t care, or bombarded despite orders. Melita could remember the Mathair incident well – and all the controversy, the deaths, the rampage, the unsettled proportions. Her heart went out to Torchline too, wondering if it would ever come to this.

She didn’t know anymore.

Her hands grew restless, fingers clutching at Fangorn’s vines as the gourd’s eyes followed lines and pathways around the room. “Would it simply stop them from coming in? No one would be hurt?”
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
"At the moment they are barred only by words," Juniper explained. "If it comes to war, we cannot expect them to obey such strictures, as much as we might like to."

Fae might be bound by their promises, to an extent, but Juniper always had to remember that outsiders weren't.

At Melita's second question, Juniper hesitated, casting her mind back to the conversation with Safrin that had outlined these defenses. What exactly had Nephele asked of the goddess? "If I recall correctly, it may harm Ascended who try to come through the portal. My preference would be for a measure that would simply stop them without doing actual harm, but ... I don't believe that's what Safrin has in mind."

Juniper closed her mouth on the verge of another assurance that the measure would be purely defensive. Melita had to make her own decision about what she'd allow her body to be used for; if she chose not to contribute, then Juniper would simply have to go to someone else.

table by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Words and promises only went so far, and Melita could understand the fathoms, the leagues, the Fae were determined to take after earlier experiences. But her heart still went out to the Ascended who hadn’t been involved in any of those prior circumstances, who’d made choices just like the rest of them – merely in a different deity. “Right,” she murmured, quietly, head yearning to hang, pondering over what she was going to do.

A stalling tactic, really, after a brief glimmer of a grimace, the world grasping to take a gasping hold on her throat. Choices and decisions were being outlined, and she didn’t want to press her heel into a line she’d likely already long since crossed, meandered over, and fell upon again. “Are you going to warn them? That the Greatwood is doing this?” Or had they all been given, granted, enough notices, foreboding measures, and caution?
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper hesitated. To be honest, it hadn't occurred to her to warn the Ascended -- hadn't thought of the possibility that someone might be caught in the Greatwood's defenses by accident. With war all but declared, any Ascended stepping foot in the Greatwood had to have hostile purpose, right?

"It didn't occur to me previously," she answered, "but I'm not opposed to the idea. If our defenses can act as deterrents, without anyone actually getting hurt, all the better."

But, notably, she didn't actually say she would give such a warning. That information might be tactically significant, so she was reluctant to give it away without consulting Remi. (Juniper remained acutely aware that she was the junior partner leading the Greatwood.) She couldn't think of any solid reason that Remi would oppose warning off the Ascended -- surely he didn't want to deal with potential incursions any more than Juniper did -- but she didn't want to act too hastily and make a fool of herself.

table by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Melita hadn’t survived all the catastrophes, all the trauma, by never noticing another’s reaction. Sometimes they were key indicators of foretold challenges, of pieces clambering together, a slow motion and movement building into a violent crescendo. Her gilded gaze took in Juniper’s stance, all while holding Fangorn as his vines whipped around out of boredom; her head tilting vaguely, striving not to give each and everything away about herself either.

Would the Fae be angry too, if they knew Nate was her uncle? If she hesitated for his behalf, and all the others?

A warning was just that - a warning - and if someone chose to press their wake, their heels, their hells, into the Greatwood after such foreboding circumstances, then they would have no one else to blame but themselves. So she raised her head, chin a tad defiant because some manner of youth always declared sedition, even if there was an angled smile on her features, a dazzling edge to her gilded gaze. “If you promise me you’ll warn them, then I’ll give you what you need.”
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Again Juniper had to think carefully about her response. She'd wanted to ask Remi before promising any warning, but Melita needed an answer now if today's collection was to succeed. Juniper didn't want to ask Melita to wait and come back later -- she could see what a display of weakness that was. If Juniper was truly a leader of the Greatwood, she ought to be able to make her own decisions, not consult with Remi about every detail.

"I promise: if you provide me with materials for this quest, I will send a letter to the Ascended's leaders warning them of the danger to their people." A Fae's word was binding, or at least had to match their intentions in the moment; Juniper sincerely intended to write such a letter as soon as she concluded her business with Melita. It was for the best, she decided. War might come, but that didn't mean they had to be vindictive, to inflict harm where it wasn't necessary.

table by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
A Fae’s promise was a binding thing in the ways Melita understood it. They didn’t, couldn’t, wouldn’t lie. So in this particular instance, the honeybee had been intent on securing parameters: ensuring Nate, and many others, would be informed of potential danger, and still assisting the Greatwood in defending and securing their borders. Simple, concise, and she could accept the platitudes Juniper gave her. “All right. Thank you.”

In a careful brush of her unruly mane, she snagged at the ends, and picked at a loose thread. The portion and piece of fire-hued fiber came along with her, procured, plucked, and gone from her with no pain. An effortless exchange, but one that might help secure found angle of preservation for multitudes involved. “Here you are,” and she aimed to hand it over, uncertain how else Juniper might want it.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper nodded, then accepted Melita's hair carefully, placing it on the tea tray, where it stood stark against the pale porcelain. But ... "Do you mind cutting a lock of hair, or perhaps some nail clippings? I don't want to lose a single hair. Here, let me get some scissors."

There were scissors in Juniper's office, and she soon returned with them, offering them to Melita. She'd also brought a ribbon to tie a lock of hair with, and an envelope in which to place the needed samples -- she transferred Melita's already-given hair there before anything else. Besides the concern of losing Melita's hair, Juniper didn't know how much Safrin might need; the last thing she wanted to do was disappoint the goddess again.

table by Skylark
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Ah, she hadn’t realized it wouldn’t have been enough. And something in the back of her mind didn’t like the thought of hacking away at her locks, even if half the time they were an unruly, wild, chaotic mess – symbolic of her fire, of her nature. It was a strange stroke of vanity and protection over her figure, unexpected, uncertainty ruling and reigning. So the youth took the scissors with a little bit of a scowl, not towards Juniper, but her own inclinations.

Before placing them downwards. “You can have some of my nails then,” and here she snorted, beginning to chip away at whatever growth she had, while Fangorn waved his vines around in boredom. Her curiosity followed rather than any explanation, not sure she could process it well enough. “Are you collecting from every race?”