you are not going in circles
For Remi
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
DEIMOS
the ocean does not apologize for its depth
and the mountains do not seek forgiveness
After assisting Juniper, the Sword thought about wandering his way home (a shelter; a cabin in the midst and wooded glen of a field, something to stay within while they plotted); but a nagging, clawing, unsettling feeling remained in his chest. And the more he walked, the more it hastened, irked, irritated, annoyed, and with a sullen sigh he had to resign to the notions of further reparations. Discussions with Maeve, on the proportions of Torchline and being permitted back in its sands had gone well; but he couldn’t be certain about anything with Remi – considering their last meeting.

He’d understood them all, in the way his flaws and defects had scoured things. Muddled. Confounded. Pushed proportions into far more than misunderstandings. He’d been wounded too, scalded, inwardly chafed them all away.

But maybe it was worth trying.

So beside the riverbank, with its icy layers and slightly muted roar before him, he penned a note – sending it off to wherever Remi roamed at the moment. If he didn’t want to strive for a meeting, that was entirely the Lullaby’s choice. The silence would be an answer. But Deimos would remain for a time, companions nearby (Belial had found something suspicious in the higher branches of the canopy), going through supplies on Zuriel’s saddlebags while he waited.
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
the lullaby
How do I learn my dreams to mold
To lay them bare in the morning cold?
Remi's charm from Ludo ensured that Deimos's note found him swiftly, and though thoughts of the Sword immediately made the Lullaby grimace, that had more to do with the context of their last meeting than anything to do with the man himself. So rather than casting the note into the fire and being done with it, Remi bundled himself up and set out into the snow.

Hard to miss given his size and the rarity of unicorns in the Greatwood, Remi spies Deimos easily and allows the crunch of snow beneath his feet to announce his presence from a distance. 'I bet this feels comparatively warm for you, compared to Halo.' He says by way of greeting as his pale eyes glance to the snow-covered boughs around them before returning to the Sword.
If they're still out there then the chasm grows
For all you know, for all you've known
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
DEIMOS
There was a crunch in the snow as he checked over the contents of Zuriel’s bags, and for a moment he thought it was only Belial (landing, perhaps, after making such a racket above). For an instant his eyes did happen to widen – surprised, really, that the once Alchemist had adhered to the note.

He fought the urge to slide his eyes downward, to hide amongst his stoicism. It’d be very simple to hang his head in the guilt and shame of aftermaths. He’d done it so often lately that it’d nearly become a habit. But if Remi was willing to strive some sort of measure in between those fault lines, then that was already better than what Deimos had expected. His hands closed the adornments, and stepped mostly aside from the unicorn, save for using her mane as a distraction for the inner restlessness.

“Yes,” and he swallowed something else down. Probably remorse again. He didn’t feel like naming it. “But I do not mind the cold.” Not one for small talk, and uncertain where to even begin after fallouts and repercussions, he simply began with an apology – some form of explanation that must not have passed muster the last time. His gaze meant to meet the Lullaby’s, forthright and honest. “I regret the events of our last meeting. Your anger was understandable and justified, given the circumstances.” But it’d been such a bizarre situation as a whole – blown apart in the strangest of ways. “I have never seen Ru in such a state, and I would never have asked her to bring the twins. I apologize for the mess and danger they were put through.” So altered from the Valkyrie he’d always known; for the being who’d loved and cherished all her children, despite the impending amount of doom around them. There were multitudes to venture into those notions too, but that was a discussion he'd had with Hotaru more than once, before everything else fell apart. “They are doing well?”
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
the lullaby
Raising a finger to rub at the space between his eyebrows, Remi closes his eyes as the Sword dives right into the crux of the matter. Part of him wants to snarl and snap that he is well aware that his anger was understandable and justified, but luckily there's a sharp tug against one of his curls that derails this line of thinking before it can gain any speed. Likely hard for Deimos to see, in Remi's hair is a small spriggan. Rather ghostly in appearance, nevertheless there is a smile on her small face, even as she mercilessly tugs on Remi's hair.

"I am not sure how much you are at fault. I was not sure then and I still do not know. Whenever there is trouble with Hotaru...you seem to be near." Remi says slowly, letting his hand drop and raising his seaglass stare to the Sword's snow-bright face. "In Torchline, with what happened in Halo, and then most recently with this." Uncertainty creases his brow for a moment as he gives his head a slight shake. "Perhaps there is something about you and Hotaru together that invites chaos, I do not know." And honestly, he didn't. Deimos had been helpful to him in the past, and were it only his interactions with the Sword to take into account, he would be firmly in the positive.

But their lives weren't so vacuous as all that.

"If Hotaru turns against me, will it be the Greatwood you burn down? And what am I to think of you being here, helping with Ronin's skyboats and with Juniper's plans as you once helped Morgan?"
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
He didn’t notice the companion; too busy listening, intent on Remi’s words. His eyes flickered downcast for a moment, over all the proportions of snow and the growth underneath, before a soft sigh pulsed and waged through his lungs. “At times, I will admit Ru and I are not great influences for one another. No matter how often I advised against certain actions.” Still dragged along because he was fearful for her safety – for the rage roaring underneath, for the vitriol and stupidity that always seemed to rear its ugly head whenever the Valkyrie snagged at her more stubborn proportions. The fire. The jail. The coup. “But I grew very tired of seeing her hurt.” Had Remi not seen those within his own family circle betrayed or marred in some way? Or did he expect those like Deimos to merely step aside, watch as so many others did, or pretend not to notice, not to care? That there couldn’t be repercussions or consequences for some, no accountability laden at their feet? Ignored, given full leeway?

Eventually his gaze returned to Remi’s, away from the trees, the timber, the boughs. The piercing questions thereafter were enough – justifiable too, given his actions as of late. But it was as if everything he’d ever done before; all the generosity, all the shielding, all the protecting, all the wielding, scarcely seemed to exist or matter. Maybe that was a lesson too. “You and Ru have your own decisions to make. I will not be involved in them.” A hard-fought distinction when it came to the woman he’d once ruled with – whose tempestuous edges he sometimes still couldn’t fully understand. If some other betrayal lined the way between Lullaby and Valkyrie, that would be their own trial and tribulation.

The comment about Morgan caused his brows to furrow, for he didn’t regard these motions or notions in the same manner. “I have only sought vengeance for those who have wronged me or my friends. Morgan betrayed me, and her people, well before we ever plotted a coup.” Amidst her embedded lies, her claims of neutrality, the farce of a world bent solely and focused upon a man who’d already demonstrated he couldn’t be trusted.

And for the Greatwood? When once so many of them had sought to help and assist? Was he now being burned and scorched for that too? He took in another breath, shaking his head. “I have tried to provide aid to many. That was all I was striving for. Have my actions from before not reflected that?” Nor had he ever gone against this world. Goals for the Old Gods. Defenses built. A Mathair carried back to her rightful home. “If you want me to make a pledge to never harm the Greatwood, just as I have done for Maeve and Torchline, then I will.”
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
Listening and trying to hear the Sword's words for what they were rather than what it was easy to twist them into being, Remi nods. "I should be the last person to ever have anything to say about actions done out of a desire to protect." He offers. "Or any actions at all, really, considering what it is I have done." Things done and said out of pure anger. Things done because of sheer stupidity. Things done for no reason at all. "I just do not know where that leaves you and I."

Raising a brow, Remi considers the trim of Deimos's jacket for a moment before his gaze moves back up once more. "I take it once you did many things for Halo as well." He points out with a small shrug. "I suppose at the end of the day...I do not know what you stand for, Deimos." Remi says, hoping that his tone indicates a genuineness to understand, rather than a criticism.

"I know what sort of monster I am. What I will and won't do even if the gods demanded it of me. I know the hierarchy of my values. But I do not know you well enough to say the same. You make it sound as though you have been towed along by those you care for. That it was righteous that made you overthrow a ruler, and not Safrin's fingers plucking at strings." He says softly, shaking his head and exhaling.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
The quiet musings of deeper understandings pushed and pulled, and the Sword couldn’t recall the last time he’d ever had to truly dig down into himself and pull out the rationale behind his actions, save for difficult conversations with Safrin. Surface level had always been safer. His eyes narrowed, and another breath was taken, so that it extended into a long curl of warm air, plumes within the cold. Entirely human and pathetically mortal. “I have had my monstrous moments. I once would do anything to protect my land and my people.” Not above murder. Not above vehemence. Not above cutting the world apart one by one by one to be certain those in his wake were secure. “And I thought I could do the same here, but far more controlled.” Except the fiendish wakes had come down into the vestiges still. “Continually sacrifice myself so that others were safe. Put their needs well before my own.”

The piercing gaze locked onto a log sticking out of the snow, then to Zuriel nearby, or Belial wandering amidst the canopy. “Sometimes I fall back into those old habits,” and he shrugged here, because it was a continual work in progress for a being who rarely regarded his own necessities in life. Who’d forgotten what it like to have any worth beyond what he could do for others. “But I genuinely want to protect those I care about. The people in these lands. Teach them to survive, defend and arm themselves, so they will not be lost too.” It’s what he’d done in the Grounds, and had continued to do so in Halo, until efforts sunk into more of the multitudes of pressing, brimming horizons. Into mistake after mistake, error after error, misjudgment and caustic imbalances.

As for righteousness, or Safrin’s meddling? “Probably both.” A soft sort of pause came over him, before he relented the next words. “I had warned Morgan many times about the Voice’s capabilities, of what she had done in the Grounds. And I worried about what would happen if she was allowed a further reach into Halo.” They’d clearly gone unheard, or into utter indifference, as the Glacier orchestrated her own means and measures into the fold.“Safrin provided information about Morgan’s betrayal.” And the task itself – which he was likely doomed to repeat. The goddess had known exactly where to press.

Then he lifted his chin, and stared back at the Lullaby. Here was a man he’d known as the Alchemist, who’d extended kindness, generosity, and acceptance into fault line after fault line – and truly after seasons and years, maybe he didn’t know him now either. Altered and changed, as they’d all been, by the events of Caido. “And what are your values?” Limits? Hierarchies? Had Remi not been towed along by those he cared about either? Place to place, world to world, land to land? What were the foundations now?
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
"These lands are under my protection." Remi interjects slowly, but sternly. He doesn't need to add they are not yours to protect, though there is something in the slight tilt of Remi's jaw and the steel in his gaze that suggests it just the same. "If that is your way of asking to live here, that is a different conversation. Different still if you are asking for any sort of leadership over the Woods."

Listening, the Lullaby's lips push softly together as his brow furrows. "From what I have heard the people voted Morgan back in, even after everything. Do you still think you know what is best for Halo?" Genuinely asked, the alchemist lets his head tilt to the side in a rather avian gesture that Deimos will likely register as such given his shifts.

Though he might have expected the conversation to be turned back to him, Remi's expression is one of boyish surprise. Laughing softly, his smile turns a touch crooked as it deepens his dimples, and the Lullaby shrugs. "My family, above all else." He answers simply. "For them I would defy the gods even if it meant my death. Or the deaths of others." There is no naivety in his seaglass stare now, for he knows precisely what the implications of his words are. Would he sacrifice the Greatwood for Ronin? He would. Would he let his friends die—Isla, Pheobe, Ianto?—he would. "Then of course there are my obligations to Ludo." He adds with a shrug. 'I do not believe I am boasting when I say that I am the strongest one of us. I am not sure there are any who could stop me, not even my own husband, were I to set my mind to something, and not everything I set my mind to is moral, or right, or good." Remi's voice has slowed and grown softer for having said this, his smile fading by degrees.

"That is the sort of monster I am. It makes me reluctant to trust or to care, because I simply do not have to." He answers honestly. Sadly.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
There was some initial confusion in the way Remi responded – a slight tilt of his head, until the Sword realized his words had been misinterpreted. Not the first, nor the last, despite how many times he’d strived to convey communication in his succinct, concise methods. “My apologies – that is not what I meant.” He inhaled a breath, eased the convictions down into his chest. “Lands is a broad term. I have no intentions towards the Greatwood, nor leadership here.” His eyes rested on the timber, the lines drawn in snow for a moment. “We have made some shelter in King’s End.” Hunkering down for the winter, planning, plotting, drawing out different schemes.

So the next question wasn’t so much a surprise, and Deimos wasn’t arrogant enough to believe their notions were surpassing, unrivaled, or supreme. “I am not certain anything we have ever done has been the best idea.” And here his look resembled an avian differential as well, if not some feline aspect to pinpoint the ventures, the cataclysms, the nuances all their human minds had been able to surmise. But he was willing to change tactics, alter ideas, work from the inside out. “From what I was told, the vote was close. I think one has to consider the people who decided to stay.” As that would transfigure the weight Morgan had. He would never believe someone willing to assault their own people, lay siege to a world they’d supposedly cherished, much of a sovereign.

His eyes widened substantially as Remi laughed; perhaps because he hadn’t heard the sound in a while. But based on the answer, on the way things were construed, laid bare, Deimos didn’t return the boyish junctures. Most of the world couldn’t afford to act the way the Lullaby admittedly could; seemingly no consequences, and no one to hold him back. And the soldier didn’t know what it meant for a lot of things pending, hovering over the horizon. The man’s gaze went downcast for a moment, uncertain where to even begin. “It can make for a very lonely life,” if Remi allowed it. The lack of trust, the indifference, the nonchalance. Deimos knew firsthand. Knew what sacrifices meant. Knew how badly it stung. Perhaps he’d always have his family, always have Ronin, because of the weight of his dominion. Maybe it didn’t matter to the demigod. Maybe it should’ve. “Will you set boundaries for yourself then?” Or remain as he’d said – willing and able to defy the rest of the earth?
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
Raising a brow at the correction, Remi can't help the frown that tugs at his lips. "So that's what you do? You protect and try and prepare others against hardship?" Swallowing back the judgement that leaps heavily onto his tongue, the alchemist merely nods.

"Fair enough. For what it is worth, I carry very little for the wellbeing of those in other lands, or how those lands are run." Remi offers, if only so that in months or years to come when or if Deimos is tallying up his allies, that the Lullaby wouldn't be counted among those who would aid in another coup.

"It can. But it hasn't." Remi replies evenly. "Once I was a man who had to bend and break so that later when I needed help I could call in favours. I no longer need to do that, and so no longer need to exert myself in matters I don't care about." Pausing, Remi blinks as he considers. "I did not kill you, despite how easy it would be and how many problems it would solve." Remi replies, of setting boundaries for himself.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Uncertain what aspects of his life, his goals, and his aspirations had crossed Remi now, the Sword simply nodded. As for the other statement, while he wasn’t surprised, shocked, or appalled by the notions, something in the way the rest of the world had begun to shape itself gave him pause. No alliances. Every kingdom for itself. He could remember, recall, so many times where they’d rushed around in Helovia; fending for treaties that didn’t last. Perhaps the Lullaby and his constituents needn’t have bothered, considering his strength. “Understandable,” he gave in return. If Remi was off fighting for some other worlds’ onslaught, the potential for threats to the Greatwood increased.

Besides, he’d never would’ve asked for assistance in their plight for the mountains anyway. It was a Halo problem, and already many had skirted around its monstrous wakes. The indications of what it meant for the future.

Restless given the following ventures, he clenched his jaw for a moment, irritation spiking through him. A level of frustration for the blasé way in which he could be rendered dead, and only because of a misunderstanding, asinine and ridiculous as it was. Or that he was labeled as a “problem”. “Strength grants an individual many choices, and they do not have to be monstrous.” And while he didn’t need to do anything, to care, to consider, the whole of the matter was disheartening. “I remember you as kind and compassionate, and you did many wondrous things,” he rumbled, eyes going downward, a sigh floating through, striving to glean away the exasperation winding on his fringes. His hands went for Zuriel’s mane, tangling his fingers in the long strands, plucking out tangles. Remi’s actions had never seemed to be construed as manipulative. He’d been the Alchemist, and they’d all banded together. “And I know the world has changed you.” That it had done the same to many. “Will I have to worry about Ru’s safety too? When she is with you?”
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
"Monstrous is a very subjective word, I have found." Remi replies evenly, wondering what gave a man like Deimos the right to be so judgemental of others. "Which is just to say that you do not know me very well, Deimos." The Lullaby adds. He both is and isn't that man anymore, and though the Sword had helped the alchemist in a number of tasks during the transition from Alchemist to Lullaby, no great insights into his soul had he found.

"You seem like a man who will worry regardless." Remi replies with a small shrug, his lips edging toward a smile. "I won't promise her safety in the future. I don't make such promises anymore." Taking a breath, he considers how best to say the thought bubbling in his mind. "What I do know is that she and I want only the best for our children, and so I do not see her and I experiencing any sort of issues that would put her in harm's way. Physically, at least. She is not allowed to be alone with the twins just now, which I know she does not like." He adds, ruffling a hand through his curls.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
His brows knitted into confusion, tilting his head as if he’d misheard something. “That is how you described yourself. I said you did not have to be.” As for the rebuttal – for reflecting upon stretches of kindness, on things that had altered, his face drew solemn, head shaking, wondering why he’d bothered at all. “Likewise.” For all the incrimination leveled at him, for all the things that didn’t seem to matter, Deimos wondered if simply trying, if reaching out, had mattered. “Perhaps that is for the best then.” For in truth, why would he want to know the Lullaby in his current state?

No promise of safety caused another clench of his jaw, a long, withering sigh to float out, and he dropped his hands away from Zuriel’s mane, done with one braid. There was some begrudging portion of compliance and regard for her state, at the very least, and Ru could likely handle things on her own – but the notions still coiled along his spine. “I will take that,” with a residual nod, because things were entirely out of his hands anyway. It might be the best answer he’d receive at this point.

With another shrug of his shoulders, and a silent call to Belial (as the peryton came swooping down from the branches), he gave Remi a following nod. “That is all I wanted to know. I will leave you be then.” Think about what I said stuck behind his teeth, but he didn’t give it voice, not even in the silent measures of Attuned adornments. It probably wouldn’t do any good. And with those parameters, and hardly any alteration, Deimos and his companions moved to make their way out of the wood, and back towards King’s End.

{FIN}
for the space they take
and so, neither shall I