[Seasonal Event] Escape From/To You
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Samuel
Though I know I should know better
Well, I can make this work
Is it just part of the process?
Well, Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, it hurts

He couldn't stay in the Rathskeller. It was too loud, too full; people in there were enjoying themselves while he was busying taking off each bit of himself and examining it, trying to throw away parts only to find out they were necessary. Sometimes he caught a glimpse of Remi and it made him feel so strange he had to begin the process again.

Sam felt guilt about how he'd handled things, the now-familiar betrayal, a strange mix of affection and love thrown in as well. It was more than he'd ever had to deal with at one point and it was taking a toll. He wanted nothing more than to be home in his bed, staring at the wall.

..So why couldn't he be? It wasn't that far, and...he had grown braver recently. Perhaps the monsters outside really were fairytales.

He knew he was being irrational because of his desperation to leave, but he found himself not caring. Melodramatically, he imagined if he died it would be a good ending to the story and a way to show Remi just how serious he had been. He slipped out of the Rathskeller in the moments of distraction after Ronin's baby began to cry yet again.

Walking up into the temple he was struck by how loud his footsteps were on the hard floor in the silence around him. Already the quiet was like a balm on him, and he calmly began to head to the door, hand reaching to begin to unlock the door.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059

This time Remi had taken Isla's advice and told Vai and Ronin where he was going. Just a quick trip to visit Isla, to make sure all was still well. Remi had a fairly good idea that the medic would not press her portion of the stones he'd made unless she was in dire need. Still, that didn't mean he couldn't be useful. Besides, it was so loud downstairs, despite the warnings to be quiet. Every where were whispered conversations, half smiles and even a lusty word or three. Remi did his best to keep his ever boyish smile plastered on his face, but he found in his weariness and heart-sick stupor that the muscles in this face had actually begun to hurt.

So he sought out the silence he knew the walk to the infirmary would bring. It was a brief respite, but maybe it would—

—Sam's hands were on the large iron latch of the main temple door. Remi's breath hitched in his chest, and though he thought the bombardment of feelings that coursed through him could in no way increase in magnitude, suddenly fresh panic and surprise roared through his veins.

He knew Sam didn't want to see him—the way the bookmaker's eyes had skirted around him as if he wasn't there had not gone unnoticed—but surely now he was exempt.

"Sam..." Remi called out, his voice low and soothing (with an edge of panic), as if trying to calm a frightened deer caught in a snare. "Sam, what are you doing?"

REMI
Loving you was sunshine, but then it poured
& I lost so much more than my senses
'Cause loving you had consequences
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Samuel

His fingers, which had by now grasped the chain holding the padlock in place to try and break it, froze at the sound of Remi's voice. Remi really was the only person who would have been able to stop him, his hold on Sam truly unique. His shoulders sagged as he let go of the lock and turned around, looking Remi in the eyes for the first time that evening.

"I...I am g-going home." Sam stated simply, then glanced back at the door. When he looked back, a thought came to him: why was Remi up here? Oh. Probably going to see Isla again. His mouth became a hard thin line. "There...there isn't anything f-for me in here anymore. I'm...I don't.." His anger was bleeding into sadness and confusion at the end of each larger sentence he tried.

"Y...you should go see Isla." He said, turning back to the lock and beginning to pull at it with a new passion. "She will pr-probably wa...want to see you."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

"What?!" Remi asked immediately, taking a few hasty and shuffling steps forward both trying to keep his footfalls and the volume of his voice low, but his rising panic made his hastiness obvious.

However as Sam said that there was nothing here for him, Remi stopped, flinching as if Sam had struck him again. Of all the things he'd never expected from Sam, this casual cruelness was nearing the top of the list. He could understand the way the bookmaker had lashed out and hit him, even the words he'd spoken in anger. But now? With a few hours and a sea of tears between them? I love you yesterday, and you are nothing to me today?

The words were like fresh lashings on the wounds that Sam had already opened. Someone else might have told the ascended to grow the fuck up and stop being such a child, but of course the alchemist was far too kind for that. Too kind, too bruised, too broken.

"I am just going to make sure she is alright. There is only one luxere outside to protect her." Remi returned wearily, the light in his pale gaze nearly extinguished now. "Sam you cannot leave ... it is far too dangerous. Please, stay. I ..." Emotion choked his throat, and though the alchemist was far too weary to bother to swallow it down, he did sigh gently, running fingers through hair that had begun to sprout a multitude of feathers. Never before had the urge to simply become something four-legged that could be easily cuddled been so strong.

But Sam's hands had begun to work on the latches again, and so Remi stepped closer. "..I will leave you alone, if that is what you want. But you cannot leave."

REMI
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Sam turned around properly when Remi said he could leave him alone. His soul immediately cried out that no, that was not what he wanted, wasn't it at all; but wasn't that what he was trying to do? Two forces pulled and pushed at his soul, one that wanted badly to hold Remi (had he always looked so tired?) and one that wanted to be alone forever.

He realised, suddenly, he probably wasn't handling this in the healthiest way.

"I...I...I d-don't want you. To leave. I'm...s..." He thought for a moment then came to some conclusion in his head and spoke louder. "I'm sorry. I'm...I don't know how to h-handle these things, the feelings are so-so...so big and--" Sam gestured loosely about his head, sweeps of his hands moving away from his head to show the overwhelming nature of his panic.

"You...you...m-must hate me now, so I need to go. And you...y...you went with Isla, and she's better th-than me, so I can't...c-compete and..." The real crux of the issue revealed, he felt himself lean back against the door and begin to slide down it.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi had never been the petulant or game-playing kind. He didn't know what it was to tell someone to leave only to invite them to stay with the same words. To push someone away simply to see how hard they'd push back to stay. For the Remi's of the world, that luxury did not exist. Furthermore, to push when told to leave almost always brought with it some dire consequence.

Remi listened, his posture somehow flighty and un-trusting. He appreciated what Sam had said, but the apology now merely sat on the surface of what had already hardened and curled in on itself. The alchemist had loved Loren without reservation, throwing everything away for him, only to have all those newly found feelings shattered and rubbed into his skin like glass shards. It wasn't Sam's fault that Remi's heart was wounded from another man, but nor was it Remi's. He couldn't help his brokenness, and when he'd tried to explain what he needed, the bookmaker had told him to leave.

"Of course I do not hate you." Remi replied in a low voice, tears that now lingered so close to the surface at all times it seemed, spilling over. But it was a silent and reserved sort of downpour. "I did not go with Isla. I was just trying to protect her." Remi repeated again, weary of reciting this over and over, wondering when it would eventually stick. The mention that Sam needed to compete made Remi stand a bit straighter, staring through the darkness. "Compete? Sam ... We are just friends. As you must have realized through everything the Isla's of the world, lovely as they are, are not really my type."

Swallowing down a long and shuddery sort of sigh, Remi watched as Sam slid down the door. "Sam you cannot stay here...Not by the door anyways. Please.."

REMI

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:

Warmth and life and fleshy bits...

Sitting pressed against a door... locked but so flimsy. Locked but so unprotected.

Scratching, at first. That is what Sam would hear. Scratching, and a soft whining noise, which grew higher and more insistent, like a dog waiting to be let inside.

Only all at once the whining erupted into a chorus of screams, loud and anguished and echoing, and the door rattled violently on its hinges. In the spaces between it and the ground, something black and viscous began to seep inside. Ink. The floor was pooling with ink.

LONGNIGHT
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Remi seemed confused, tired. Of course he was. Sam knew he was being irritating, unreasonable, unlikeable. The thoughts did nothing to help his mental state. He had not known prior to this that it was possible to hate himself anymore than he had before.

He was so distraught he almost though the screaming was in his own head and so did not react to it right away, just curled further into himself.

"...B-but...you...I.." He had nothing of any merit to say when he was in such a way. Sam began to shakily stand up, meaning to go to Remi and try at a better apology when he had the chance to be in his arms, but then he felt something wet on his hand. He looked down and frowned as he saw an inky blackness on the floor and staining his skin.

"W..what..." He mumbled, so confused for a moment he didn't move. Then he did all at once, scrambling towards Remi and getting up onto his legs in the process. If Remi would let him Sam would run to hold him instantly, instinctively, an inky handprint marking itself on the man's chest as Sam pressed into him for comfort and watched the pooling ink with growing terror.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi remained silent, knowing that rushing Sam in this state would not help the words come out any faster. What spoke louder though, was how he had begun to raise himself up. Would Remi be hit or hugged? Either seemed equally likely given how things were going.

Unable to see the ink in what was already a dark gulf between them, Remi started forward as he heard the cackles and wails and screams. "SAM." He called in a powerful burst, his exhaustion somehow taking second place to Remi's ever-present desire to protect those he cared about. Opening his arms instinctively, he wrapped them around Sam, pulling him into himself and away from the door in the process.

Remi's heart hammered loudly in his chest. "Cover your ears." He commanded, knowing that if he told Sam to leave him at this point he would probably be ignored. Shifting his vocal chords and lips, Remi roared at the door, his entire chest vibrating with the immensely loud boom. The monsters were not the only things who could sound scary if they wanted to.

Not wanting to get any closer to the door than he had to, Remi created raw earth, packing it around the door like some soily-seam to try and prevent any more ink from slipping in.

REMI
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Sam obediantly pressed one side of his head to Remi's shoulder and covered his other ear with his hand. This didn't stop him from hearing the roar coming deep from Remi's chest, the sound overwhelming everything in his head for a moment as it reverberated around his head.

The dirt packed around the door made him feel a little safer so he raised his head to look at Remi, his fingers curling into his shirt. He couldn't see the person who'd betrayed him in that second, just the person he loved helping him in a dangerous situation.

"W...we should go." He suggested, just wanting to get away; it didn't matter if it was downstairs or to the infirmary, as little as he wanted to see Isla right now.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Slowly Remi's heart resumed a normal rhythm, and the blood pounding in his ears gently began to recede. Yelling back at the monsters was probably not the best plan he'd ever come up with, but he was so tired and honestly, it felt good just to scream. Normally the alchemist didn't give himself that sort of luxury, but under the guise of defense, he'd let himself have just that moment.

But it had cost him.

Remi became distinctly aware of Sam's fingers curling against his shirt. The man pressing against all of those wounds so recently opened by harsh words and the newness of his rejection. Slowly the alchemist's arms untangled from where they'd defensively wrapped around Sam, his torso tightening somewhat as he swallowed unsteadily.

"I..." He began, swiping at his eyes which had suddenly grown so heavy. When had he even slept last? "I think I am going to go lay down in one of the Temple alcoves. That way I am still close if anything else tries to get in." He murmured wearily.  They weren't the most comfortable place to sleep, but the nest of blankets he had made for he and Ronin would still be there, and if nothing else, it was only a few paces away. Remi didn't think he could make it much farther than that anyhow.

REMI
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Remi's roar seemed to work, at least for now, and Sam did not see any more signs of the monsters coming in. With a smile of relief he laid his head on Remi's shoulder for a moment then let go as Remi moved away, looked to the alcoves mentioned.

He tilted his head, unsure if he was being dismissed or invited. Either way it didn't feel right to leave Remi up here alone (ironic, given he'd been about to run outside by himself, but he had always valued other's safety more than his own). "Al-alright. Well, let's..." Sam headed over to the alcoves and upon seeing the blankets, arranged them to be comfier for both of them to lay down.

The last time they'd slept together they'd held each other but now that there was a tension it was difficult to know what to do. He sat at the edge of the blanket pile and watched Remi approach. "...I...is it alright if I stay? With y-you? I don't want...to leave you. Up here."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi was too tired to argue, although he was surprised when Sam easily followed. Moments ago the man had been trying to leave out into the darkness, saying there was nothing here for him anymore, and though nothing had really changed—it wasn't like the pair had had a chance to talk about what had happened—suddenly he was alongside, arranging pillows and blankets.

For a moment Remi just stared, watching the blankets he'd made for Ronin arranged in a way Sam presumably thought Remi would find comfortable, and he could only blink. He was so tired. Certainly too tired to argue or think about what it meant to pass out with Sam in the same bed given that they'd just broken up.

Nodding wearily, Remi climbed passed Sam and all but collapsed. His head had already begun to buzz and his eyes lamented each time the alchemist forced them back open. Conjuring a pillow—and then a second for Sam—Remi wrapped out of the blankets around his shoulders, though there was still plenty of room around him for the ascended to join.

REMI
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Sam smiled as Remi still made a pillow for him despite his exhaustion. It was sweet, one of those little things that just showed he thought...it both made him happy and guilty, that he had so angrily and easily dismissed Remi for one mistake when the man could show such easy signs of kindness.

He took the pillow and made himself comfortable, not touching Remi at first. Sleep was something he was experienced in forcing himself into, but right now he would be more useful keeping watch and he had much to think of.

"...I-I'll wake you up. If any..anything needs your attention. But I will l-let you sleep as long as you need to." He told Remi, a simple touch on his shoulder accompanying the words.