[open se] woke up in heaven
Memory Snow SE
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
W E S S E X
The unusual sound of laughter rings brightly through the cold, crisp air, quickly followed by a high pitched, playful screech. A black dragon the size of a small dog flits upwards from behind a barrow, nimble and lithe in its movements. Then it dives suddenly, and there’s a fine, glittering puff of white in the air as snow goes everywhere, and Wessex half-heartedly chides her companion.

Loki! That’s not -” but she doesn’t get very far because she’s interrupted by a something - and the chirps of a very pleased-with-herself companion.

And if one were to go around the Barrow to find the Wraith and her soulmate, they would see the demigoddess on her knees, laughing to herself and scratching Loki’s eyeridges. “All right,” she murmurs. “We’ll make one of you too, yeah?” To match the more human-like Memory Snow sculpture they’ve already created.
The Wraith

Code blatantly stolen from the fantastical, wonderful Odd
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Hotaru

Kings End shouldn’t feel so welcoming to her with all that had happened within its borders, and yet she is drawn to it time and time again. It’s no surprise Deimos and Noah had made their mark here in the end. She has yet to seek either out - trying to find a rhythm again in the wake of returning to the twins, to Remi, to herself. Hotaru has never been a woman in want of a plan, of goals.

Now, she has nothing. Aimless, wandering. It is both peaceful in its novelty and terrifying in its uncharacteristic presence in one such as herself.

She is practicing her flight when she sees Loki below. Her heart stutters, and the woman beneath the hawk’s instincts rears her head, fumbling the next easy stroke of wings. Aware she is in no place to fly now, the Valkyrie descends a distance from the pair, perching on a branch with talons that grow steadier with every day. She sits and listens for a moment, torn.

It would be easy to ignore them. To pretend she had not seen them.

She remembers pale hands on her own golden skin, the first bite of fangs against her inner thigh.

A hand that had held her own.

Sighing, she sheds her feathers and drops down into the snow. Hotaru may be a snake, but she’s no coward. Wessex certainly won’t understand - Hotaru dislikes Safrin to put it nicely, and they’d commiserated over it too many times for Wessex not to know. Hotaru couldn’t lie to the Wraith the way she did everyone else and say she’d invaded Halo on Safrin’s orders. But what use were apologies when the Ascended has retaken Halo, when the war was looming closer, when Hotaru now bore the mark of Frey’s Attunement?

It hurts to love not one but two people she cannot allow herself to.

At least her gait is steady as she approaches. Deceivingly so. “I don’t think even memory snow can do her justice, but I’d like to see you try.” The lightness of her tone is offset by the dark set of her eyes. She is tired of losing people - even because of her own actions - but she’d rather get it over with quickly. Like ripping off a bandaid.
what I did, do, to me and you, keeps me awake
if I were a ghost, you'd be the proof
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
W E S S E X
Sometimes snow insulates and sometimes snow betrays; Hotaru is no longer of Halo, so perhaps the snow here knows, and even her slighter, no-longer-pregnant frame elicits a soft, alerting, crunch. Wessex turns a breath before the Valkyrie speaks, needlessly drawing herself up and puffing out, like any threatened animal would.

She wants to smile at the quip, she does, (and it’s true, no snow could ever do her sleekly fierce companion justice), and the corners of her mouth falter ever so briefly before she locks them together again.

Wessex stares.

It hurts so much more than she thought it would, that familiar ache, that hollow, heartburning sense of loss. It hurts so much more because at her core she knows it’s preventable. The Wraith swallows, dry even though that’s physically impossible.

Why? she asks cutting of any following phrase lest her voice crack. No hint of what she means, no specifics, no why did you set us on this path, or why did you think we would attack Halovians, or why did you do it like that, of all ways? or even, why aren’t we worth it? She doesn’t have the energy to say all of that. Not with Ru.

She could kill her. Probably. Right here and now. The thought flashes across her mind.

… couldn’t she?
The Wraith

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Hotaru

There is energy in motion in everything Wessex does, and the heartbeats between reactions feel like hours for Hotaru to linger inside, observing and committing to memory the brief unguarded moment of mirth before it is locked down and away. Potentially forever. She holds it close all the same, cold biting at her eyes as she refuses to blink lest she miss anything else. Maybe that’s why they sting and water. Yes, it must be the cold.

Hotaru had told herself she wouldn’t, but the silent stare invokes a reaction in her she can’t deny, and her arms reach to cradle around herself, a protective embrace to at dampens the flinch at Wessex’s strained, singular word.

“I had to,” she admits quietly, certain the Wraith will hear her even subdued as her voice is. Nails press into golden skin, leaving whitened crescents beneath the pressure that will flush pink when she remembers to let go. The pain is mild at best, but grounding. “I did something terrible. Something that put a friend in a bad position - one I had to rectify, because it was my fault. So I had my orders.” Some twisted mix of a scoff and a laugh escapes her, jaded and rough. “It worked - but you already know the cost.” Deimos was back in Safrin’s graces, but they were both exiled now. At least he had more than she did. Hotaru is glad for that. Fiercely and sincerely. At least it had not all been for naught.

It won’t be the last time they're told to work against each other. Hotaru is all too aware of that. Frey might be the lesser evil of the Old Gods if you hated them, and Hotaru certainly wasn’t a pawn worthy of commanding, but all the same she wasn’t on the same side as Wessex. Even doing nothing at all would still put her in the camp of complacency.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
Morgan and Neron had told her everything - the way the coup had gone down, who was present, the magic at the door. It wasn’t difficult to put together, much like it hadn’t been difficult to surmise that yes, Wessex had been the one slinging chakrams around when it had all come down on their heads.

She makes no effort to comfort, a stark comparison to their last meeting - but neither does she make an effort to attack, so perhaps the Valkyrie is safe. Unable to find the words to answer, the Wraith simply nods stiffly, accepting the explanation for what it is - and what it isn’t.

Loki senses that something is deeply distressing and winds herself around her bonded’s ankles in a cat-like manner, casting a narrowed gaze on Hotaru. Wessex reaches down to gather the dragon in her arms, taking comfort in the smooth scales and the pulses of love coming from her companion. “It doesn’t have to be like this,” she says eventually. Softly.

“Halo could truly be neutral. Frey is - not like Safrin. Or Ludo. You could sit it out. Not try to kill me. Or Nate.” Wessex could stomach that. She could - she could forgive doing nothing. She could keep the two of them, and whatever is left between them, intact.
The Wraith

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

It feels wrong to stand here, oppositional instead of united, stiff and unbending. Hotaru aches so deep her bones hurt. She doesn’t want to lose this one thing. This one, last, surviving thread that had managed not to fray completely. Were it not already for the twins and Deimos, she isn’t sure she’d be here at all, but to be further untethered is to incite pain her unfortunately mortal flesh cannot bear.

It’s a pretty lie. Sweet, and all the more tempting because of it. Like honey baiting flies and gnats and all other manner of winged vermin - all for the purpose of extermination. Maybe Wessex truly believes it. Hotaru cannot. She watched her world die, watched deities fall, hundreds wiped from existence. This is a story she knows the ending to. Yet, all the same, she pretends. Like a little girl refusing to turn the last page of a beloved book, scared to end it once and for all.

“I would never. Not you. Not him. None of you.” Her voice is strained but it never wavers. Frey wouldn’t ask it if her - doesn’t care enough, surely, and Hotaru is hardly a pawn worth maneuvering. But even if they did, the answer would be no. Her weakness will always be her loved ones. Capable of cruelty and betrayal she may be, but her hand would never move against the Ascended.

Dual toned eyes gleam with tears that waver tenuously on pale lashes, twisting the vision of Wessex - untouched by pink cheeks or red nose from the chilled air - into an artistic smear of colors. “But you can’t believe it will be neutral. A stronghold maybe, when the war starts. That I can see.” Few others could dwell in the icu reaches with such ease. And it was only accessible by those with wings, or those who accepted The Voice’s portals. “And if you win, what then? I’d not be welcomed back any sooner.” Not that her heart lies in Halo anymore. Not the way it does for Deimos. Home doesn’t exist here for her.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
Maybe Wessex does believe that Halo can be Neutral, so long as Morgan holds the reins. Maybe Hotaru is right and she doesn’t, but the possibility that it could be is enough to keep her working towards it. “I know enough people want someplace to hide out. They don’t want to be involved, aren’t yoked to Gods the way… some of us are. Isn’t that something worth creating? If you actually care about the people, isn’t that something worth protecting?” She can’t help the urgency that rises in her voice as she insists that Halo could be that. And isn't that what rulers (even brief, brief ones like the Valkyrie) were supposed to do? Care for the people?

If they just all agreed to leave it alone.

But the General in her knows the stakes are too high for the Gods to let that happen. Still, she steels her spine and for now, stands tall behind her words. Still trying, perhaps in vain, to hold the two of them together.

“We aren’t going to win.” Like an ice and snow wrought peak, there are times with the load and tension is too much to bear and all of a sudden the minute cracks widen all at once. The demigoddess’s voice does just that, hiccuping at the end as she hurtles face-first into one of the few emotions Hotaru’s never seen in her before. “We have nothing, she whispers, lips trembling. “And I’m sure Remi’s only gotten stronger. If I have, he has. And Ronin? Together? With Deimos?”

They’ll massacre her family in front of her eyes. In her worst daydreams, they come with Dragoons and Fire and raze the Grounds to bare bones. Ronin need only leave the Order to be able to enter safely.Ru, even if the Voice wins, we won’t.”
The Wraith

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

The urgency in the Wraith's voice is like a wave, lifting and buoying Hotaru along it until her own throat is tight. "Halo is as tied to the Voice because of her portal and Morgan's relationship with Neron as the other lands are to the Old Gods because of their own rulers. How can anyone achieve neutrality that way? Morgan can preach it, Noah and I can preach it, but can any of us truly ensure it? We aren't strong enough alone. Neither side will let us hide away." To face against both sides and not endure the backlash of deities swatting the proverbial fly of annoyance in plans much bigger than them. Distress creases lines in Ru's pretty face, wanting more than anything to believe, but too bitter and jaded by both sides to try.

Wessex's agony is a visceral thing. Hotaru is tugged forward helplessly, the Wraith's words like a hook in her navel that shreds sinew and muscle as it pulls her across the distance between them. Her hand lifts, and fingers tremble alongside lips turned flush with cold. Hesitation lasts only a moment, and then she is reaching for Wessex. Let the woman decide whether to turn her away. Hotaru has to try. Hands rise to the Wraith's shoulders, and the Valkyrie's cheeks are streaked with brief warmth as tears overflow and crest down over her lips, leaving salt in their wake. "And she will just create more of you. They can claim to love us, but they are all just gods. What are we but pinpricks in their eyes?" Her fingers tighten uselessly, wanting to childishly cling to the other woman so that nothing can tear her away. There is no real way for Wessex to feel it. She knows this.

It still hurts.

"I watched a god like her kill everything and everyone I loved; it won that war against the old gods,just as the Voice might, but we lost everything." Their home, their deities, family and friends. All of it gone within moments. "I can't do it again - I can't stand by and do nothing this time. But I can't lose you. I can't lose Nate. I can't -" hiccuping, Ru swipes one rough hand across her face, ashamed to feel grief so prematurely and so conspicuously, "- I don't know what to do." There's no winning for any of them. They're all just counting sand, waiting for the hourglass to break. History tells her to kill the Voice before she takes everything away from Hotaru once more, but her heart is tied to the people the Voice has created - and in killing their creator, she will lose them all the same.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
A bile-filled rebuttal rises in her throat as she scoffs, shaking her head. “Did you ever talk to Morgan? About anything? Torchline has a portal and it’s firmly Safrin’s. Portals mean nothing. Fuck, Frey’s the one who’s helped Halo the most, with the cold thing and the food - and the presence of a single man is enough to convince you otherwise.” She didn’t know Neron had so much power over Halo still. Perhaps she ought to try and use it more often. They’ve made him into the boogeyman and - and - and isn’t that exactly what the Gods want?

“But they don’t have to be alone, Gods, can’t you see -” except she’s cut off because Ru is there. Really, truly there, and she doesn’t know if it’s a move to bring down her defenses or honest-to-Gods feelings. Immobile for a minute, Wessex is wordless and breathless until her hands seem to find their own mind and wrap around the Valkyrie’s waist, then up to cradle the back of her head as the tears flow.

It doesn’t matter if this is all for show. Her anger is spent, coming more and more in sudden bursts and flares, then dying down to sad ashes, fuelled by the embers of reality. Her lips press gently against Hotaru’s head - chastely at her temple, against wild golden tangles and again at her wind-chapped forehead. Loki grumbles somewhere in the back of her mind in warning, but the companion goes unheeded, for once.

“And I watched the Old Gods destroy everything I loved. We were collateral damage. A whole, thriving city.” Gently stepping back from her smaller, soggy and sniffling beloved, the demigoddess's hands tremble as they slide to Ru's shoulders and her ice-blue eyes seek to fill-in whatever emphasis and meaning her words cannot. “The Voice is not the one that destroyed your world.  I can’t - I don’t know how to convince you. Don’t… know what to do except beg. Please. Please. Don’t hurt us.” Her head falls, heavy and solemn to her chest, feeling drained from it all. The effort, the emotion. She can't say the last part.

Don’t make me not choose you.
The Wraith

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Hotaru’s expression is grim, accepting of the blame laid at her feet. “I didn’t want to deviate from what we were told,” which is truth, but a weak excuse. Ru won’t lie to Wessex though, won’t concoct some story to make the argument stronger. “What he did, to Halo and her people, and Morgan’s allegiance changing so swiftly - love makes anyone biased.” Arguments fall apart mid-sentence, because that is the crux of it all. Love. Devotion. It is what makes this moment feel like hot coals on Hotaru’s skin, because she loves Wessex, she loves Nate, she loves Kiada. And because she dares to love them, she is resigning herself to the pain of losing them.

The tears feel impossible to keep at bay. Spilling over in rivulets with no dam in sight. Wessex’s hands may not be warm but they are strong, and the pressure against her waist and neck makes Ru crumple closer. The press of lips against her forehead inspires a choked sob, but she leans into the touch helplessly all the same. A masochistic slave to her desire to be close. Comforted.

Ru’s hands tighten around Wessex as she withdraws, knuckles whitening and only relaxing when the Wraith doesn’t move entirely away. Reassured, she blinks wet lashes and tries to listen. “I’d never hurt you,” she whispers, voice strained and raw. “I’m not strong enough, even if I wanted to. And they have no use for me as a pawn. But even so, I wouldn’t. Positive interactions and Attunement with Frey aside, Hotaru is not beloved by the Gods, scarcely even on their radar. But the comfort is cold, because, “even if I stand with you, with Her, I can do nothing. We can do nothing. Her voice wavers under fresh, helpless tears. The gods will have their war regardless of the pleas of their followers. Which side the Valkyrie stands on doesn’t matter. She doesn’t have the power to change the tides of war with her mere presence.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
Through all of this, the Wraith, who has almost always been a do-er, still hears what is not - or perhaps cannot - be said to her face. That despite Hotaru’s love for her, for Nate, for her niece, it isn’t enough. It isn’t worth it. They aren’t worth it fighting for.

She believes the Valkyrie when she swears to high heaven that she would never hurt them. If not for the love she bears them, then because Wessex’s retaliation would be dark and swift. And Wessex believes that she isn’t much use as a pawn, if only because it’s quite clear who the demigods will choose if it were Hotaru or their kin. But Wessex doesn’t believe that there’s nothing to be done.

“But it would be everything to us, she says, lifting her head to look again at the tear-stained face. “I know it sounds like too much. I know -” what everyone else in her life thinks, where their loyalties lie. Wessex isn’t naive. “But to stand up and say this isn’t okay? It’s all Wessex wants, aside from Safrin’s head on an onyx platter. The world doesn’t have to love her, it doesn’t have to like her, it doesn’t even have to particularly like Ascended. But for someone, anyone to stand with them and say that murdering a whole race isn’t okay? That would be enough.

“That is something. The smallest something.” Wessex doesn’t want her to try and change the tides of war. She just wants to be chosen, for once. She wants to be loved. She wants to be worth the effort. But even as she whispers it back, the demigod begins to prepare for rejection; Hotaru had never chosen her before, she’d been an idiot to think that it would happen now.
The Wraith

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Hotaru stares into the woman’s eyes as she begs and pleads, and her sharp mind turns even as her heart is predisposed with the way it is breaking. This feels like a pinnacle, a moment that will change everything, and yet there is only Wessex on her mind.

“What can I do?” The words are the smallest whisper, but the trembling in her hands slows, the grip she has on Wessex’s arms firming. “We’re past the point of convincing others - what can we do to minimize the damage?” To keep you safe? A tactician’s mind clicking away at potentials, seeking a stopgap where a true solution cannot be found. Showing her devotion in actions instead of words that she is certain would fall on deaf ears. “A warded shelter for the younger Ascended? I don’t - tell me what I can do. I can’t lose you,” she whispers, and her eyes fall to their feet, ashamed of the heat freshly gathering on her lashes. She knows Wessex will be at the forefront of this war. Nate as well. Kiada most certainly. The only three Ascended she wants to see live through this, and they are the ones most at risk. It’s a cruel irony.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
Their steadiness ebbs and flows as they each take a turn being the rock and the river. She can feel the pressure of Ru’s fingers in her arms and allows herself to let the Valkyrie take some of her weight. How many times had she held the Outlander up, carried her, listened to her, consoled her? And now that she asks for something, there is no acquiescence. Just a deflection. An alternative.

Anger flares again and for a moment Wessex stiffens, torn between suddenly wanting to skewer her for not being able to do what is in her mind, a very simple thing, and giving up and writing her off. But then Hotaru continues and like one of those fucked up balloon animals outside a car dealership, Wessex deflates again, trying to find a compromise to match.

“I don’t need anything. Even if I die, I won’t stay dead unless the Voice is gone.” Maybe there’s a bit of relief there for Ru, knowing that Wessex is now beyond what many can do to to her younger siblings.

And then there’s a long silence, until something pops into her head, knowing that Hotaru still has free reign.

“If we could just keep Remi out... The Grounds could be a lot safer. If I could - find a way. Not hurt him, just give us a place to retreat. And the Greatwood is working on something that needs Ascended fluid -” she lets that hang in the air. “You know what happened last time they took fluid.” Wessex takes a big, unneeded breath. “But if he can’t get to us…”

It would make them prisoners in their own home. But there are portals, there’s the Underground.. There are ways to move about. It’s a risk she's willing to take.
The Wraith

Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

It is a relief, and the tension in her frame ebbs away in particles at the reassurance. Whether that same allowance will spare Nate or Kiada, Hotaru can’t weather the storm that sort of hope would bring. At least she can be grateful in the here and now for this singular piece of comfort.

The involvement of Remi makes her heart sink like a stone through a clear lake. He is her friend, yes, but he is most importantly the father of her children. He has done many things for her, aided her when he had no reason to, and though she isn’t sure what Wessex would need from the man her insides still go cold at the notion of having to deceive him. Her only saving grace is that so few know he is the father of the twins, and even fewer know she has any connection to him at all beyond residing under his reign. Ru makes herself speak through lips gone numb. “What would the Voice need? Would he give it willingly, if the Greatwood is being transparent about their own efforts? Though if he wouldn’t, you’d lose your surprise factor.” And any hope of obtaining something physical from the demigod.