[RQ] what reflects back
Maeve
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
It's a few days before Jack approaches the Court of the Stars to meet Maeve and do this whole PuRiFy tHe fOuNtAiN thing. The madame had been the one to deliver him back to his cabin after Safrin had blown his mind to smithereens gifted him with a skyship, but since that time the captain has been effectively MIA. There have been no midnight trips through the sky for the Ark, no rumours floating about her recent upgrade.

But finally Jack emerges, a lot worse for wear and feeling like he's been hit by a falling building. He's alive, though, after a three day migraine and a psychotic break the likes of which he's not experienced since he was a teenager. So when he sweeps into the gardens, he's drawn and gaunt and looks as though he could use a decent meal and a good night's sleep. Fuck it, though. Jack's alive, and shit's good.

There's one thing to deal with, though - Maeve and the matter of his magic. And so here we are.
are the angels on their way?
i’m in the dirt
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret:

Magic: Passive Telepathy | The user can read the surface thoughts and emotions of those within a 30ft radius. Control is excellent. Note: "Thoughts and emotions" include anything written in a character's narration in a post.
Type: Grey | Rank: Mastered

Also branded with a small star tattoo beneath his left eye.

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
Maeve doesn't know just how challenging being before Safrin was for him. The way the goddess tore through his mind and rendered him useless for the days to come. After having left him with a cool cloth on his head and his curtains drawn, the Nightshade hadn't been back to follow up despite the urge to do so, knowing Jack likely wouldn't appreciate it the way others would. She's relieved to see him the moment he walks into her Court, but the worry springs up all over again.

Dark brows pinch together, jade gaze running over him from head to toe, more concerned for the well-being of the Captain than his magic. That'll come, but for now she's going to focus on him. "You alright? Forgive me for saying it, love, but you look like shit." Maeve huffs, pushing up from her resting place where she's taking her tea. There is an assortment of goodies laid out. After Milo helped it seemed a good idea to have things to replenish their strength with. Hence the small spread.

"I can get you some tea or something stronger if you like." It's all sincere pleasantries laid out for the taking should he wish to indulge. Otherwise they can get to the meat of it.
What you gon' do when there's blood in the water?
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
"I feel twice as bad as I look," Jack drawls, shifting close enough to the edge of the fountain to plop down on the edge of it, looking over the spread that the madame has prepared. It's positively dainty and he hates it, but at the same time he sort of wants to shove it all in his mouth at once. "Tea works fine." Testament to how shitty he's feeling that he can't even stomach rum.

Hissing out a sigh through his teeth, Jack rubs at his eyes and levels his gaze on Maeve. "So you saw some shit at the shrine, let's not mince words 'bout it. I'm Abandoned, an' I'd appreciate it if that ain't somethin' you go spreadin' around. Ain't anythin' anyone needs to know until I'm good and ready. In exchange, consider your fountain purified."
i’m in the dirt
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret:

Magic: Passive Telepathy | The user can read the surface thoughts and emotions of those within a 30ft radius. Control is excellent. Note: "Thoughts and emotions" include anything written in a character's narration in a post.

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
Maeve watches him settle on the edge of the fountain, concern still painting her features, tugging plush lips into a slight frown. She steps forward, tempted for half a breath to reach out and smooth back his hair, but she knows better and it's gone just as quickly. "I would imagine." The Nightshade murmurs, starting on pouring his cup of tea, adding a bit of honey and lemon into the amber liquid. She gives it a careful stir, approaching to sit on the edge of the fountain with him, pressing the warm cup into his hands.

Dark brows raise as she brings her own tea up to her lips, taking a slow sip, letting it warm her belly before she speaks. "Jack, I wouldn't tell even without the trade. It's not mine to tell." The queen never an unease around Abandoned. Especially now that she knew her son was one too. A whole new thing to figure out. She looks up at him, offering a small smile, "Your secret is safe with me. Promise." And in her thoughts he would find nothing but the honesty behind her words.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
The tea is more welcome than any affection might be, and Jack gives a murmur of thanks as the warmth is pressed against his waiting palms. Torchline might not get very cold in Deepfrost, but compared to life the rest of the time it was positively chilly. She moves to join him and he takes a slow sip of the tea, letting it soak into his bones and wake him up a little further. By which time Maeve is all but promising him the world, and Jack raises blue eyes to her face as if searching for the truth there.

Unnecessary, of course - he can read the honesty in her mind, but something something pause for effect. "Thank you," he mutters, and the words so rarely leave his lips that they almost feel strange on his tongue. But it is what it is, and after a few more sips of tea he turns back to the fountain. "Who else has played with this?" he asks.
i’m in the dirt

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
Maeve offers a nod at his murmur as she passes him the tea, settling beside him with ease, crossing one leg over the other as her free hand wraps her sweater a bit more tightly around her slender frame. She makes her promises, reassuring him that she has no desire to share his secret. Maybe that is like promising him everything but the world, but Maeve feels it's the right thing to do. Not even giving it a second thought. She meets his gaze, sincerity swimming in her jade irises, a gentle smile curving on her lips. "Of course, love. Anything for my favorite business partner." The last bit is said with a wink, a teasing hint to her words in an attempt to lighten to mood, but it's quickly on to business.

"Milo. He didn't seem too pleased about the whole thing. Likely because Aurelia wasn't the one here with him." And wouldn't be with him again it seemed. The woman still hadn't shown up and Maeve was beginning to think that she never would. "He used his healing on the water and the stones."
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
"Your favourite, mm? I'll remember that," Jack murmurs over the rim of his teacup, letting the hot liquid shake the cobwebs from his bones and help lubricate the cogs in his mind. "Mm, Aurelia's probably dead," he says matter-of-factly, though beyond the initial disappointment at yet another opportunity lost, Jack shows little in the way of emotion about it all.

Turning to gaze into the fountain waters, Jack places down his cup and leans back on one hand so he can trail his fingers across their surface. "Ain't got healin' magic, but I got water a'plenty," he says. And with a quick telepathic scan around to ensure no one is around to spy, the captain exerts his will and manipulates the fountain so that a few perfect spheres of water rise up and out of it, weaving between each other as if being juggled by an invisible performer.
i’m in the dirt

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
She expects nothing less from the Captain. Never mind that he's one of very few business partners, but the declaration still stands. "Of course you will. You remember everything I tell you." Whether he wants to admit to it or not. The Nightshade knows better. He's followed through with every request, every promise, every offer, and she doubts he'll stop now. Even if it is just business.

Maeve sighs, fingers tightening on her cup minutely, lips pressing together for a moment, "I know... Especially given the reasons she left in the first place. It's naïve to think she might come back." And she was doing her best to make peace with that. To simply let it be. They've been doing patrols of the desert as they could, but Maeve couldn't abandon Torchline to go searching for Aurelia. The needs of one didn't outweigh the needs of many. Still, there is a pang of guilt at not doing more, the emotion flashing through jade eyes as she sets her teacup down in time to see Jack's little show.

A delighted smile finds its way to her lips and she watches in awe as he makes the water dance for them with ease. "Well isn't that lucky. We brought back about five casks from Frey's Breath. Suppose it would be rather easy to replace the water that's in here already with that, no?" She poses, arching a dark brow as she waits for confirmation. The casks are off to the side, lining the wall and waiting to be used, heavy with water from the spring.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
"Better to focus on what's in front of you," Jack says, and either it's the migraine-hangover that's making him a better conversationalist or the concentration on his magic. Either way, it's more than she'd usually get out of him. Aurelia would either return or she wouldn't - Torchline would still require leadership whichever happened. Jack takes another long drink of hot tea as he watches the water orbs circle, and they plop back into the fountain when Maeve draws his attention to the casks.

"I could, but wouldn't that negate all the work Milo did?" he says, putting down his cup and slouching to his feet so he can go and inspect said casks. "Could add it in though, if you reckon that'll help," he suggests, already reaching out to unplug the cork from the top of one of the casks, teasing the water out with his magic in a delicate stream.
i’m in the dirt

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
He's not wrong. It doesn't do anything to dwell on things she can't change. If Aurelia shows up it'll be a miracle, but it isn't the first person who has disappeared on her and it likely won't be the last. Maeve sighs softly, running a hand through her hair before takes up her mug, finishing off the tea. "As much as it pains me to say, you're likely right in this regard." She tries to keep her voice light, a teasing tone to it, but she's not able to fully commit. For a moment her mind is elsewhere, guilt at not doing more threatening to overwhelm her, but she takes a breath and distracts herself with Jack's little water show.

"Mile imbued the stones of the fountain too. I was thinking we could mix. Siphon some of it out and replace it with the water from Frey's Breath." But Jack was already ahead of her. "I imagine it's what she had in mind. Otherwise why would she have sent us to collect the water in the first place?" Maeve's shoulders lift in a delicate shrug and she gets her own bucket, tapping the cask so she can slowly begin filling her container too, thinking she might as well help.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
Jack grunts his understanding - if Milo had worked his magic on the very stones of the fountain, then the water is just an added bonus, and he straightens up from the cask to draw out the water in a much more forceful jet. It arcs and splashes into the fountain, and at the same time the water within the structure twists out to fill the cask and complete the circuit. "Makes a lot of sense," he murmurs, though his responses are clipped at best; the captain is concentrating, if it isn't obvious.

"Ain't often I get to do this," he remarks softly; stretch his legs with his magic, he means. Jack plays with his abilities in the sanctity of his cabin, usually, or in secret when they're out on the ocean and nobody can really tellt hat he's doing it. "What else you gotta do once the fountain's to Safrin's likin'?"
i’m in the dirt

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
Maeve stands to the side so that Jack can work, but a few stray drops of water still splash onto her, cooling on her skin before she can wipe them off. The Nightshade watches in a silent sort of awe as he works his magic. Jade eyes track the movements, lips parting as she lets out a breath, watching the concentration on his features and tucking that expression away for later. The little crease between his brows, the set to his jaw, and the bead of sweat on his brow.

"A real fucking shame. You look good doing it." She teases easily, a small smirk curling on her lips as she perches on one of the casks, crossing her legs and lounging back almost lazily. As for what's left for the fountain? That's an easy answer. "Have to finish purifying it and then it's done. We'll be ready to return to her and work on our next task. Hopefully by the beginning of next season."
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
"I look good doin' most things," Jack says with a small smirk, because obviously he's not going to be coy about himself. Still, the expression doesn't clear from his face until the last of the cask has been drawn out of the fountain, with the original water replacing it. Once that's finished, his shoulders slump a bit and he moves to sink back down on the side of the fountain to finish his tea, raising his eyes to the madame.

"How convenient," he croons over the top of his teacup. "So we'll have a purified fountain capable of healing. What's next on your agenda to ask our goddess?" Because she is their goddess now, and it's not something that escapes Jack's attention. "Since the skyship is all done now."
i’m in the dirt

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve
We'll never get free
Lamb to the slaughter
That he did. Something they could both agree on. Maeve watches as he works, staying out of his way as he works, but watching him as he does so. She's unwilling to deny herself this simple pleasure, but she doesn't deny herself much when it comes to the Captain.

It's not until he moves back towards the edge of the fountain and she follows suit, mimicking his movements to sip on her own tea, lounging almost lazily on this new perch. "Indeed. I had no plans to dally given the current circumstances." The next question has her humming in consideration, licking her lips as she lowers her teacup, "I've been thinking about it. I'm considering a safehouse of some sort. Something purely offensive will be... telling. I'm not trying to stir the pot"