{SE} hold onto this lullaby
For Edmund <3
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
My dear, we're slow dancing in a burning room
Maeve covers Edmund's eyes with her hands, walking him slowly towards their small sitting room where a fire is crackling in the hearth, a small tree decorated and complete with presents wrapped in shiny paper beneath it. "I know it's a little early, but I've never really been one for tradition." Maeve says with a soft laugh, finally uncovering his eyes so he can see what she's set up for them.

There is a pallet of blankets across the floor complete with many fluffy pillows to sit on and lean against, a large tray of cookies rests on the table, and hot chocolates sit steaming in mugs just waiting to be enjoyed. "I thought we'd have our own little celebration together. What do you think, starlight?"
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2895
EDMUND

Edmund giggles as his mummy leads him into their living room. The child is practically vibrating with excitement, eager to see his surprise. His mum seemed eager to show him, which only doubled his excitement.

As soon as Maeve uncovers his eyes, his go wide as he takes it all in. Fluffy blankets and pillows that make him want to curl up with his mummy and Aidon. The cookies and hot chocolate make his tummy rumble eagerly, but the entirety of the surprise has him filing with warmth. Edmund turns around and hugs his mummy tightly.

"Thank you, thank you mummy! I love it!" Edmund then takes his mum's hand and gently pulls her over to the pillow fort. "Let's celebrate!"
I never realized how beautiful
Fires burn under the stars
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve catches Edmund in her arms, hugging him close and bending to press a kiss to his temple, breathing in the scent at the top of his head that's lingered since thse day of his birth. "You're welcome, my starlight. I'm so glad you like it." She hums, allowing him to take her hand and lead her to the pillow fort that she'd spent the afternoon constructing for them. Aidon is already there, lifting his head and trilling softly at his bonded, blowing a bit of smoke at Edmund too. Maeve lowers herself onto the pillows, settling closer to the tree so she can easily reach the packages tucked beneath it, allowing Edmund to be closer to the snacks on the table.

"What do you want to start with first? Cookies and hot chocolate or gifts?" She asks, arching a brow as she meets her son's gaze, a smile curling on her lips. He's already coming into himself so much. Growing more each day. He was so smart and brave and good. The best thing in her life, surely. Just like Remi said.
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund settles against Aidon's side happily, pulling one of the plush blankets up around them both. The dragon is just so warm and makes him feel safe. He'd love to have a dragon companion of his own one day. Maybe they'd even let him fly with them! Poor little Abandoned just wants a dragon.

Treats or presents first, that was a difficult choice. Edmund put a hand to his chin, tilted slightly in thought. "Can I have the cookies and hot chocolate first please mummy?" They just smelled too good to wait on. Plus he imagined presents would be even better if opened while he was sipping hot chocolate.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Aidon happily let himself be used as a pillow for Edmund to lean against, wrapping himself protectively around the boy, lifting his head to nuzzle against his cheek before his head on his claws. The Nightshade laughs softly, tickled by his manners, but expecting nothing less from her boy. She shifts to make him a small plate of cookies and carefully passes him the hot chocolate before setting the plate before him. "Of course, petite étoile." Maeve hums, grabbing her own plate and picking up one of the buttery sugar cookies, taking a bite and letting her eyes close as the sweetness spreads across her tongue.

Chasing it with a sip of hot chocolate, the Nightshade turns her attention back to her son, "Which one do you want to open first?" Maeve motions to the various packages that are stacked up beneath the tree. All of them are different sizes and shapes. No two looking just alike.
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund happily takes the plate and mug, enjoying the sweetness of both treats The smooth, rich hot chocolate has the child nestling further into Aidon's protective hold. The buttery cookies perking up his mood and soothing him as well. "These are so tasty! Thank you mummy!"

Eyeing the various presents, Edmund has a hard time choosing just one. Were all of these really for him? Nibbling on a cookie in thought Edmund finally chooses one. "Can I start with the smallest and work my way up?" That was the best method he could think of. All of the presents were equally exciting so size was really the only other thing that he could look for.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve smiles warmly as Edmund tucks into his treats, settling into this quiet calm that they've found themselves in, knowing she'd look back at this in the coming times when the stress was too much. "They are tasty, aren't they? Not as good as the ones your papa used to make." She admits softly, a tinge of sadness coloring her words as an ache started around her heart, unable to stay one way for long. Some days the resentment came easily. Those were the days that Maeve thought Locke's name with disdain. That she hated him for leaving. That she wished she never fell in love with him in the first place if only to save herself the heartbreak.

Then there were days like today.

When her mind went to Locke and she wished beyond everything that he was here. That she could bring him back home. That they could be here together celebrating Longnight as a family. That he could be teaching Edmund how to make sugar cookies and getting flour in his curls. Instead it was just them. Maeve draws in a sharp breath at his request, knowing what exactly was in the smallest package, but she only hesitates for a moment. Setting down her hot chocolate, Maeve reaches for the small package, carefully wrapped in green paper with a gold bow. The Nightshade passes it to Edmund, "This one is from your papa. He always wanted you to have it." A lie, but one she's going to tell. At least for now.

She likes to think that if Locke was still here he'd agree with her, but they never did agree on much. Maeve might be wrong about this too.
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund smiles into his cookie at the bit about his papa. So this was his recipe? Edmund wishes he could remember the taste of the ones that Locke had made himself. "Will you teach me how to make them one day mummy?" That way he could always remember his papa.

Edmund's head shoots up in concern at Maeve's gasp. "Are you ok mummy?" He glances at Aidon to see if he should be concerned but then his mummy is handing him the first present. He takes the green and gold present with reverence, eyes wide with wonder. "From papa?" The child eagerly begins to open his present, trying not to make too much of a mess of the paper. Soon it's open and Edmund looks to see what his papa left for him.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
"I'm not the best cook, starlight. I suppose we could try to learn together, hm? It can't be too hard." The last time she'd cooked was the night Locke told her to get out. The night their world broke into two. The Nightshade hadn't been tempted to try it again, but if that's what her son wanted then she'd just have to give it a go. That's all there was to it.

Maeve quickly shakes her head, managing a small smile for him, "I'm alright. No need to worry." And she was. This wasn't a lie. Even if there was an ache in her chest and a chill in her bones. It didn't matter. She was okay. She would be okay. Eventually. Maeve watches with keen eyes as he excitedly tears into the package. Still somehow managing some restraint. Her lips twitch into another smile. Leave it to her son to be one of the few children in Caido who doesn't open gifts like a person possessed.

Nestled inside of the box is a simple gold chain. On the end of the chain is a small daisy pendant. It's a bit worn, no longer shiny in places, nicked and scratched in others. "It was your Papa's. He used to wear it all the time, but the night you were born he decided it was yours." Maeve moves to help him, gently picking up the necklace and slipping it around his neck, fastening the clasp before letting it hang freely.
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund still didn't believe that his mummy was ok. She was clearly sad! But if she didn't want to talk about it, what could he do? But then he opens his present, the present from his papa. It's not what he'd expected but he hadn't really expected anything. A flower necklace? This was his papa's?

Edmund puts a hand on the pendant as Maeve fastens it to his neck, rolling it in his fingers. "A flower?", the child finally asks with confusion. "Did papa like flowers?" He must of if he's had a necklace with one on it. Why else would he wear it all the time?
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Edmund was a very preceptive child. Apparently he'd gotten her skill for reading people. Of course he sees through her weak dismissal, but Maeve pushes forward. If only because there are things to enjoy and she's not going to have her complicated feelings about his father ruin what is meant to be a nice evening for them.

"He did like flowers. He liked to help me in the garden. This is special though because it was his mother's too. She gave it to him when he was a boy and now it's going to you." Maeve explains, shifting back to sit in front of him, reaching out to run her thumb across the pendant before she brushes back his hair instead. "Now you have a part of him with you even though he's gone."
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund holds the necklace with near reverence, trying to picture his papa in the garden. "Wow. I love it." The child murmurs quietly, a small smile present. To have a connection not just to his papa, but his papa's mummy? That felt really nice to him, a soothing reminder of Locke.

Edmund leans into his mummy's hand as she neatens his hair, glancing up with a grin. "Can I help you in the garden too? Like papa did?" Being outside was the best and so was spending time with his mum. Helping her out was just a bonus. Though the child likely lacked the patience for proper gardening, he'd give it his best effort.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve laughs softly, nodding at his request, drawing her hand back after tucking a stray curl behind his ear only for it to come loose a second later. "You absolutely can. There isn't much gardening to be done right now with it being so chilly out, but once the seasons change we'll have plenty of work to do." He might not have the patience for it, but a lot can be done in just a few minutes. A child pulling weeds with the motivation of pleasing their mother was a force to be reckoned with.

"Alright, I know you said you wanted to do size order, but I want you to open this one next." Maeve reaches for a larger package. This one is wrapped in black paper and tied with an orange ribbon. It's fairly squishy in his hands, definitely seeming like something rather soft and pliant. Inside he'll find a beautiful blanket. The hue matching that of a Torchline sunset. There are delicate gold and silver stars stitched into the fabric along with his name.
Maeve
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:
EDMUND

Edmund nods happily, "Ok mummy!" He didn't know much about gardening, but if he had to wait to help then so be it. He'd just have to work extra hard then.

Maeve hands him the present and the child receives it with eager hands. It certainly feels soft before he even opens it. Edmund wonders if it's clothes or something similar. Biting his lip in concentration, he methodically opens up the wrapper. As it comes undone, the small Abandoned gives a little gasp.

"It's so pretty mummy!" The blanket's colors are gorgeous and Edmund already loves the stars. Leaning into Maeve, he clutches the blanket to him with smile. "It's so soft and cozy. Thank you mummy!"  The child is 100% going to keep this blanket on his bed for the rest of his life. (We'll see how he feels when he's 16.)