Training in the machinery of night
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
W E S S E X
Swish.

Her talons gleam in the moonlight as they rake across a newly stuffed, burlap dummy, spilling its mess of guts into the trampled, open ground the Wraith has long since vacated.

It probably isn’t very smart to keep building dummies and sewing them up, only to rip new holes in them every day. It might be smarter to use a different kind of weapon, perhaps something more whack-y and less stabby. Hell, it’s probably the definition of idiocy, given everything she needs to do and the time wasted in this - but then there’s fun and quite frankly, the General enjoys this. For the observant, there’s a glint of fangs in her satisfied smile, an energetic spring in her step as she slides through parries and attacks, imagining an infantry of magic-less enemies.

Which is also, probably futile. She knows anyone coming at them will be armed to the teeth with magic and, well, teeth, the thought of which makes her growl loudly at the poor, floppy dummy.
The Wraith

Code blatantly stolen from the fantastical, wonderful Odd
Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Age: 29 | Height: 5'3 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Ophelia

Ophelia has no real reason to be in the fields tonight, and it is glorious to be purposeless. They wander as they desire, attuned to the new hours their wakefulness occupies. Cavorting about the Grounds, exploring nooks and crannies unknown to them despite being born and raised upon her barren soil.

That is how they find Wessex, the noise of burlap ripping and wood creaking against heavy, muted blows an impossible thing to miss in the otherwise natural silence of evening. There is no hesitation as the maiden approaches, drifting in like a fog as they smile brightly. “Sister,” they call, a long-fingered hand rising in greeting as they near. Pale eyes flick to the battered dummy, face tilting in bird like curiosity. “Are you training or have you had a bad day?” Young, owlish face open and sincere, ready to be a listening ear.
With your naive heart you praise God above
But how's it working for you honey? Do you feel loved?
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
W E S S E X
It’s a fair question and an easy mistake to make, the sharp, vicious movements of the General not often undertaken by most people.

Then again, the Wraith isn’t most people. She slows, finishing up a sequence after Ophelia hails her, eventually turning to them with a bright, fanged grin. “What, this?” she asks, full of fake innocence to the carnage behind her. Taking a glance back towards it again, she shakes her head. “This is fun. This is a good night for me.” Humming quietly in the back of her throat, her gaze seems to lengthen as she looks into the not so distant past. “Before I ascended I used to love the burn of my muscles after a good workout. The adrenaline. Endorphins. I guess that never went away, and the feeling of a job well done -” she shrugs, glancing back to her young, ghostly sibling.

“It’s someplace I always get to win.” And for however long, she gets to feel like a badass demigod, instead of one who can’t seem to kill anything or catch anyone.
The Wraith

Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Age: 29 | Height: 5'3 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Ophelia

Wessex’s soaring mood is infectious, and though Ophelia’s smile is dreamlike and a little strangely sharp at the edges in ways fangs can’t explain, it is genuine and easy as it spreads in reflection of the General’s attitude.

Moving up beside the woman, Ophelia reaches to tug at a dangling piece from the damaged dummy, and is still mildly surprised when it comes away in their hand with a tug. The strength of their new form is still new to them. Frailty abandoned and forgotten alongside humanity.

“Energy was a precious resource for us when I was growing up. I have never sparred or trained before - though Mabel said we could do so together, and I look forward to it.” Ophelia preens with pleasure at the memory, the sisterhood being created there. Turning to Wessex, they cock their head and grin. “Will you show me something? I would like to surprise her. And I’d like to be useful, if my strength is ever needed.” Even new and young as they are, they will not shy away from war.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
“Mabel is a quick study with a knife,” Wessex agrees, her smile curving into a proud, sly grin at the mention of their sister. “Though I haven’t seen her around lately - have you?” And that thought quickly sends her mind on another path, slyness turning quickly into thoughtfulness, and then concern. Last time Mabel had gone missing, the girl had died - through no fault of either her or the Wraith’s - but Wessex has always taken her role as protector seriously and the names of the lost and forgotten always sear guilt into the tip of her tongue.

It’s something she needs to look in to come Flowerbirth. For now - there is Ophelia and their request and the General can never turn down a request for this kind of tutelage.

“I’d love to.” Turning to a nearby line of weapons, she gestures broadly to them and asks, “what speaks to you the most? Bow and Arrow, knife, sword, spear, axe, staff… your own hands? There might even be some throwing stars or a whip orrr… a mace back at the Barracks if that sounds more up your alley.” They had the world before them. They need only choose.
The Wraith

Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Change author:
Ophelia

A knife? Ophelia's expression is plainly intrigued, though it turns more contemplative moments later, a hint of a frown on their childlike face. "No, I have not seen her in some time." Perhaps that was normal for their sister? Phi is unfortunately still learning their family members, and can offer no further insight on the matter.

Ophelia wanders towards the weapon rack, a burble of awed noise in their throat as they peruse the available instruments. Dainty fingers dance over each, listening as Wessex lists them freely. Boldly pulling some out to test them before humming and returning them. Methodically testing the weight and balance of each as they once had for scythes and hoes. "The whip is familiar, and enjoyable," they muse aloud, trailing the tip along the ground before expertly giving it a crack. "I moved cattle with it as we had no dogs. Though how it can be weaponized is a mystery." And one they'd love to solve. But that leaves the weapon in their other hand, just as familiar. A tall, imposing scythe. Turning to Wessex, they present both like an eager pupil. "Can you teach me both?"
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
Ophelia hadn’t seen her either? The General’s frown deepens into genuine concern and she reaches out to Loki, if she’s nearby, to ask her companion to take a look at Mabel’s farm and see if anyone is there.

Wessex would go later, herself. For now - she has another obligation. No, an opportunity.

“Oh?” she replies, perhaps surprised and her surprise that Phi had once herded cattle. It shouldn’t be, but it only goes to serve how little she truly knew about them. “Well, almost anything can be a weapon if you want it to be. There are some that are mostly offensive - your sharp, pointy things, the ones that slice and dice. Then you have some that are also defensive, ummm…” humming quietly in the back of her throat to think of more than one example, it doesn’t take her more than a few seconds. “Anything long, that can keep opponents at bay - like the scythe, yeah. Or a shield with sharp edges. A whip, however, can pull someone’s feet out from underneath them, trip them up, hold them fast, blind them.”

Grinning, Wessex steps back. “I had a Halovian friend who was fond of the scythe. She carried it almost everywhere.” Weaver’s face swims in front of her for a moment before she shakes it away and nods again. “Choose one for today. I’ll take the other for this session.”

So in this way, she’ll learn too.
The Wraith

Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Change author:
Ophelia

Ophelia listens keenly, the lack of need for blinking well-utilized in a creature like them, absorbing every bit of information Wessex deems to share. Eagerness shines in pale blue eyes at the examples given as they envision each one in their mind. "I would like to fell those who seek to harm us," they say in their dreamlike way, completely unbothered by the prospect of violence and murders. "But I am still young, so perhaps the whip would be best, so I may assist or team up with our siblings who are more offensively designed." They are happy to be molded into the shape their family needs, filling holes as they are found.

"Yes, I would like to use both someday, but for now - the whip." Having chosen, they hand over the scythe with an admittedly longing look, and only then do they flick out the whip's length to an arrangement they are content with. Awaiting instruction eagerly.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
“Alright then,” the General says with a grin, reaching for the unclaimed scythe. They have noble goals, if an odd way of speaking, she thinks, but it’s the doing, not the talking that counts. Always has, always will.

Now, Wessex isn’t as intimately familiar with whips as she is many of the other weapons. She’s handled them, used them, but is by no means an expert, so it’ll likely be up to Phi to work on mastering the weapon with trial and error. “The whip is most dangerous at its full extent, but once a person gets within its radius, you’ll have a problem. So let’s start with getting a full, forceful extension and keeping me at bay.”

Walking away from Phi, she tries to give them enough space to play freely with the whip while still having something to aim for. As for herself, she still carries the scythe in order to use its length to defend against the whip, so her sibling isn’t hurt by any backlash.
The Wraith

Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Change author:
Ophelia

Ophelia is much more of a doer, and they still like a cat on the prowl as Wessex gives instructions and orders in one breath. No pretense of breathing or blinking as they digest and plan, fine-boned hand rotating the handle of the whip idly to feel its weight through their sensors. As Wessex gives them space and breadth, they slither them whip’s end through the fine silt at their feet, letting it expand to its full length and curl back while still upon the ground.

Once they feel satisfied in knowing the length of the whip and the proper rate of retraction of their arm, they strike all at once - snapping the whip at the bottom of the scythe Wessex holds, in an attempt to wrap the top around it and yank it off balance.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
They had said they were familiar with the whip, so Wessex is pleased to see them demonstrate that competence; there’s no fumbling here, no dropping it or getting tangled in its length. Nay, the General is more than pleased, she’s impressed. And she shows it, a fanged, delighted grin as she watches the younger ghost’s demonstration.

In fact, she’s so caught up in watching Phi that she’s forgotten about the scythe in her hand. So when the whip cracks out and wraps itself around the handle, Wessex’s grip tightens quickly. She’s able to catch it before it goes flying out of her hands, but the fact that it’d been caught is a visible surprise. “Well done, she purrs, quickly stepping forward to lessen the tension in the line. It falls back to the ground and this time, the Wraith makes sure she’s paying attention properly. The distance between them has changed, so Phi will have to adjust.“Again,” she calls out, eager to see if success can be repeated.
The Wraith

Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Change author:
Ophelia

A vicious curl of pleasure cuts across their face at the belated jolt of reaction from their General, widened only further by the purr of praise. The line goes slack as Wessex steps forward, and Ophelia is quick to flick their wrist to return the length to their side in preparation - and to keep it away from the General's hands. She is an opponent now, feigned as it may be, and it would be foolish to allow her the chance to snatch Phi's weapon away with the strength difference between them.

Eyeing the space between them, Ophelia steps back at the same time as they lash out anew with the whip - this time to crack harmlessly (though incredibly loudly) - near Wessex's shoulder in an attempt to distract and disorient. Their elbow jerks back, recoiling the length of the whip to aim anew for the handle as instructed.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
W E S S E X
This time, Wessex is far more ‘prepared.’ She watches their adjustments and treats the whip almost as if she would her chakram; looking not for where it is now, but where it’s going. When the tip cracks over her shoulder, the General jerks seamlessly out of the way, sashaying to the side with a preternatural grace. And when the tip comes snaking out for the handle again, she lets it wrap itself around the handle, and then pulls diagonally up, towards her shoulder, like a pendulum.

The blade swings down between the two of them, hopefully quickly enough to yank the whip out of their hands and stop Phi in their tracks without actually causing any physical damage. It’s more of a physical barrier than anything else.
The Wraith

Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Change author:
Ophelia

Wessex is not so easily deceived or intimidated by their display, but Ophelia is only proud instead of disappointed. The jerk of the handle as it wraps around isn't expected, but rowdy calves have done much the same and Ophelia is not pulled off balance entirely, though they are jerked forward. Eyes widening, they toss previous experience to the wind - wrestling Wessex wouldn't end in victory as it may have with the barn animals.

Instead, Ophelia throws themself forward, whip handle still in hand, to try and jam it into the General's solar plexus. Hoping the sudden closeness will surprise her this time around, and reaching with their free hand to try and snag the handle of the scythe.