truth that dies
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Age: 40 | Height: 5' 9 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: / - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 19 - Int: 2
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
CIAN
the eye
In the hearth the fireplace roars and spits a red glow throughout the room. No candles have been lit to brighten the darker corners of Cian's large office such that the shadowy corners shrink and grow with the flickering of the flames. In one of the high-backed chairs, the Eye sits with a crystal glass of something dark and smooth in one hand, and a cigarette in the other. He rolls the glass effortlessly as he thinks, blue eyes lost in the pulsing of the coal. The ash of his cigarette has grown so long it threatens to break and fall onto his chair, but it hasn't yet.

Finn has returned, successfully, and has been summoned. What Cian thinks of this isn't revealed in the slow blink of his eyes, or the casual way he sits comfortably in his chair. Without seeming to have moved, the ash from his cigarette is gone and a few swallows of whiskey have been drained from his glass.

Having given his receptionist the week off due to LongNight, the Eye's door has been left open such that Finn will have nothing to knock upon when he arrives.
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
the spyglass
I used to think that I was bold, I used to think love would be fun
Returned and summoned, Finn comes straight to Cian's office before anything else. It had been a surprisingly quick and eventless trip, for which the Spyglass is very thankful, though the weight of the amulet in his inside pocket is palpable as he heads upstairs. Smelling of woodsmoke from heading through Torchline into the Oerwoud, and sweet, cold leaves from the jungle, he pauses at the open door and tilts his head.

Clearing his throat and tapping on the open door (because he'll still knock, just watch him), Finn breaches the threshold of the Eye's office with only a small adjustment of the glasses he still wears. "Good evening, Cian," he murmurs.
now all my stories have been told; except for one
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Age: 40 | Height: 5' 9 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
CIAN
the eye
"It's funny how strange phrases like good evening are, during LongNight." The Eye notes with a dry smile, though only the flickering firelight will see the lack of warmth in his eyes. "Please, come in. We have a few things to discuss." Do the shadows stretch from the corners, both chasing the Spyglass out and beckoning him near? Will the walk to the hearth and the man sat before it seem to take longer than it ought?

Whatever plans Finn had for the remainder of the evening were inconsequential, though perhaps it was a courtesy that Cian didn't offer the Spyglass a drink. The dance of Would you care for...followed by a perfunctory no from Finn would only take up time. Or, perhaps Cian was merely being rude.
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
the spyglass
Finn doesn't think it is particularly funny, but then again he is nowhere close to a good judge, and so he keeps the thought to himself. Stepping further into the room, he is able to see the inky markings of Cian's presence; they seep out of his desk and stain his chair and drag along the carpet in the patterns of his pacing. Swallowing, he keeps his eyes on the man himself, pausing near the hearth to ensure he can't get distracted.

"Of course," he says. "What would you like to speak about? I have the relic you spoke about in my possession. I am told that it enables a person to take the form of a basilisk, regardless of race." Cian probably knows all of that already, but it seems worth saying all the same.
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
"Is that so." The Eye muses patiently. "Did you ever think to try it for yourself?" He wonders, and though his head is turned away from Finn, the curve of his lips coats the words in amusement despite how dryly they're spoken.

"May I see it? Cian wonders in a voice that might trick someone else into thinking it had been a request. The cigarette is suddenly gone from his hand as his outstretched palm appears, silhouetted by the fire. "The Taliesins' and the Safrin-Denier. An interesting trio." He murmurs. "There is yet another relic I would like you to investigate. Do you think you would call upon the same men to aid in its retrieval?"
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
the spyglass
"That is not my job," Finn says quietly - if Cian had intended for him to try out the relic, he presumes he would have said so in his correspondence. Speaking of which, the Spyglass has no intention of trying to keep the amulet from the Eye, and he draws it out of his inside pocket and rests it in Cian's palm without argument. That, he thinks, ought to be it really, and yet the other man keeps speaking and Finn is rooted to the ground.

His brow furrows and he swears the shadows reach out from the hearth to try and grab for him. "Noah suggested Deimos Ignatius," he murmurs. "I trusted his judgement. As for whether they will be suitable, they were certainly efficient during this trip. All relics are not created equal though, I understand."
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
'We both know that as of late you've been doing more than just your job." Was this a dig at Finn's extracurricular activities? Or just a dig in general? Placing the amulet into an ornate rosewood box at his side, Cian gently closes the lid before raising his gaze to Finn in his own time.

"They are not, no. Tell me Finn, what do you know about the Sea of Glass in Halo? If I were to send you there with the instructions of breaking through its thick surface...how would you go about it?" This isn't a genuine question of course, or at least, it's genuine the way a teacher asking a student a question to which they already know the answer, is genuine.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
the spyglass
"I wasn't aware that this was an anomaly, to do things other than my job," Finn says, quietly puzzled. He has a son, he plays the guitar, he takes walks, he's asked Tobi on a date (and that adds a little flutter in his stomach that stops the crawling shadows in their tracks for a moment). All of this - most of it, anyway - Cian is already well acquainted with. So, swallowing hard, Finn merely turns his attention back to the matter at hand.

"It is said that the Sea of Glass is almost supernaturally frozen. I would imagine that one would need similar means to get through its surface. I suppose I would try to channel, first of all," he says slowly, rubbing at the back of his neck. "Then there are the seasonal deities. The Eirachi makes her home in Halo, so perhaps she could be petitioned to help. And Tanau is in the Climb... I would start with those three avenues, I think."
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
The Eye smiles, seeming both condescending and patient all at the same time. "Well if it happens that you do things regularly which aren't your job, it hardly seems like a good excuse for why you didn't try the amulet on yourself" Cian muses with a flash of white teeth.

"Who would you channel?" The Eye asks, turning toward Finn more fully. Now comes the subtle shift, where what Cian asks no longer seems like test questions for which he holds the answer. Now he does genuinely seem to be asking."Would you go alone, do you think? Or would you petition Noah Olsen for more suggestions?"
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
the spyglass
"Well, I can't say that I have ever had the urge to be a giant snake. Is that a good enough excuse?" Finn asks, his brows furrowing with genuine confusion. He's unsure whether he's being chided for not trying the relic or chided for not wanting to. Either way, he's more interested in the creeping suspicion that he's going to be on his way to Halo before the sun has been up for even a day or two.

"I think I would channel Frey, in their nature aspect," he says, his voice softening as Cian turns towards him, as if they are having a real conversation at last, rather than something staged. "The Sea of Glass is a wild sort of place. I think Frey is likely more at home there than the other heralds..."

As for whether he would go alone, Finn shakes his head. "All the relics thus far have been preceded by great danger. And Halo is different to the Oerwoud. It has its own leadership, its own customs. I would likely start there. I am aware that Noah has his affiliations with the Citadel, so I might ask for his assistance in understanding that more."
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
"It's a much more interesting one." Spots of colour have appeared just on the apples of Cian's cheeks, emphasizing the severe slant of his jawbone in the firelight. What he makes of Finn's lack of interest in BeComInG A GiAnT SnaKe is a murky glimmer in the back of his blue eyes.

Frey...It isn't what Cian would have done, but then, there are times that he values Finn for his differing opinions. But...not always. "Affiliations. Such as those he earned for himself when he and a handful of others forcefully threw out the current ruler? Or perhaps those earned when that rulership was just as forcefully taken back?"
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
the spyglass
"Perhaps both - I am not sure of those specifics, yet." Finn frowns to himself, giving both of the options their due consideration. "If nothing more, he likely knows the layout of the Tundra better than most others we have at our disposal," he muses. Letting out a soft sigh, the cogs are already beginning to turn behind his eyes; once again, he's caught in Cian's web, reeled in by his intellect.

"When would you have me go?" he asks; because it's not a question of if, really. "And are there any others that you would recommend?" Whether that's to accompany him or to otherwise look at things further. Finn already has a list of books he might look at in the Archives before he leaves.
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
The silk of Cian's web is such that there's enough wiggle room for Finn to move himself about, and it's precisely that sense of freedom that will ultimately bind him in place.

"There have been a few unsuccessful expeditions so far...two that I know of. One included an ascended." The Eye replies conversationally. "Which leads me to believe that more and more know that perhaps something is beneath, and might have a try themselves." He pauses, smiling at Finn. "What do you think?" Back to the not-questions, though this one had a very obvious answer. Right the fuck now, Finnigan.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
the spyglass
Finn furrows his brow, gazing this time down at the hearth and letting his hands slip into his pockets. "I think that, Ascended or otherwise, no one will be going out onto the Sea of Glass during Longnight and living to tell the tale about it," he says. "So as soon as the sun rises, I will be on my way. In the meantime I will do everything that I can to prepare, including speaking to Noah Olsen again."

It's with a great deal of reluctance that he raises his gaze once more, letting out a shuddering breath. "Would that work for you?" he asks, hoping that the answer is yes, you can go and that he doesn't have to continue to linger next to Cian's chair like a scolded child.