Training upon the last day
Remi
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
FINN
the spyglass
it is only through mystery and madness
Finn is unfamiliar with the Dragon's Nest in this context. He's been there before, of course, but only for the purposes of meetings or research. Never has he stepped into the training grounds with the intention of actually training, and it's something that fills him with a mix of dread and anticipation. The morning is early enough that the grounds are still relatively quiet, meaning that Finn has been able to choose a target far away from any others who might be around.

In his hands is a curious device that modern minds would instantly recognise as a gun; alas, this is new ground for Finn. He has pored over it a few times now to try and judge how it works. And he doesn't like how intuitive it feels (because it is, Finn), hence the test drive. Hopefully no one dies.
that the soul is revealed
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
This scar I can't reverse, when the more it heals the worse it hurts
Keep walking; the voice in the back of Remi's mind should have been louder and more convincing. Maybe if it had been, he'd have carried on.

From a distance Finn and Remi aren't as twinly as they once were, and so the alchemist can't even blame his slowed footsteps on it. Remi sees Finn, because Remi had been on alert since having arrived in Stormbreak, and though the Dragon's Nest was one of the most unlikely places the Spyglass might turn up, still Remi had been diligent in his observations.

Having not had a real conversation with Finn in months, Remi found that his suddenly-dry mouth was empty of salutations as he drifted toward the Spyglass. "What is that?" He wonders in a low, but curious voice, his alchemist's eyes intent on the strange device in his Finn's hand.
REMI
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
Finn has just about gotten prepared to make his first shot when the voice rings out behind him. In fact, the shot has gone off - a vibration that begins in the balls of his feet but seems to thrum through his hands and the back of his throat - only it's gone very, very wide, lancing off over the walls of the Dragon's Nest. With wide eyes, Finn swallows and straightens up a bit.

"A weapon," he says softly, though he knows that Remi will hear it regardless. "I knew it was a sort of projectile, but I hadn't realised what it did until just now." Turning, he regards the Lullaby with a dry mouth and steady hands still around the firearm. "What are you doing here?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The sudden pulse of light from the end of the machine has Remi stopping and watching for the impact with interest. Cocking his head to the side to catch Finn's words, the alchemist drags his gaze away from a smouldering bit of fenceline. "What was the projectile?" He wonders, just as Finn asks what he's doing there. The question has the Lullaby standing a touch straighter, as if offended and ashamed all at the same time. As if the answer to what are you doing here, was simply: I am here, because you are.

"I had to pick up some of Ronin's paperwork from his office." Remi answers, uncertainly, resisting the urge to fidget.
REMI
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
The firearm feels warm in Finn's hands right now, and he can't decide whether it's because of whatever shot has just been fired out of it or because he's holding it more tightly in Remi's presence. Swallowing, he shrugs a bit and gazes down at it. "I believe it is some kind of energy projectile," he says. "The shot came from me, if that makes any sense. Unfortunately I am not at all versed in using such things."

And of course Remi is here because of Ronin's paperwork. That only makes sense, and he can't stop himself from feeling a bit foolish about it. "Thank you again," he murmurs, "for coming to the Oerwoud in Longnight. You and Ronin both. I was unsure what would be down in the Peepholes. Luckily it wasn't anything you could not handle."
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Does your energy do any damage, do you think?" Remi wonders, and if there's a salacious colour of eagerness in his voice, so be it.

The mention of the Oerwoud has the alchemist's upper lip flinching into a snarl; his unhappiness about being summoned was not an emotion he tried to hide. "No, we didn't." He agrees, sipping in a quick breath of air. "Why did you ask us to go, Finn? Ronin I understand....he is a member of the Order...but why me." Turning his head slightly, Remi regards Finn with a hard and deep green stare. Why did you have to make me part of it? Why don't you better yourself and take my place?
REMI
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
"It seemed to do some damage to the railing along the top of the Dragon's Nest," he remarks, looking over his shoulder to watch the small plume of smoke continue to whiff up and into the sky. But he is drawn back by the sound of Remi's voice, Finn shifting his weight from foot to foot as he tries to figure out what to say to that. Remi's unhappiness does not make him flinch the way it used to; Finn is made of too much scar tissue for that, now. But he does appreciate the tumultuous nature of the summoning.

"I was told to," he says softly. "Cian mentioned that you and Ronin had managed to obtain the relic in Hak Etme, and that you would be well suited for this one. I am sorry, if it made you feel as if I was singling you out." Or feel anything at all, indeed.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Not singled out," Remi corrects with small jerk of his head. "But not an appropriate candidate either. I am not part of the Order for a reason." He adds, giving Finn a look that in his mind says, precisely so that I won't be moved like a chess piece, the way you are, but probably looks more like a prolonged stare. Exhaling and blinking away the frustration that the memory of the Basilisk has awakened, Remi shakes his head. "Next time if Cian wants something done, let him do it himself. Or at least provide compensation." Remi mutters a touch dismissively.

Walking a few steps from Finn, 10ft or so, Remi smoothes the front of his chambray shirt and raises his eyes to Finn. "Well, let's find out." He says of the energy weapon, as if this was all agreed upon prior and the discussion of relics and obligations was just a small detour in premade plans.
REMI
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
At least Finn is used to prolonged and awkward stares, and in the back of his mind he wonders how the Lullaby would look through his glasses right now. Blazing and righteous, he imagines, all threads of bright gold and dark midnight, a mixture of heat and cold that threatens to crackle out of control at any moment. But of course he can't say that out loud, so instead he opts for the unhelpful, "You could have always said no."

Because it's true. He had sent the letter as an invitation, a request for assistance. Not a command - not for Remi, at least. "What compensation would you be looking for?" he asks. "I could petition for you."

But then Remi is stepping almost point blank in front of the weapon he's barely used, and Finn is already trying to create more distance between them. "I don't want to shoot you," he lies.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"I could have said no in the same way you could have not asked." Remi replies. Like an unbreakable thread from Cian's mouth that Finn had passed along through his letter, the alchemist had his hands all but tied from the moment his eyes scanned the request. At Finn's all too reasonable uptake of his compensation request, Remi swallows hard and presses his tongue against the roof of his mouth. "How about one single season—or even half a season—where the Order doesn't come demanding things of us." He suggests, dryly. "I did not agree to this life, as you all have." Remi adds, as if Finn might need the reminder.

Remi shrugs; what Finn wants hardly matters. However as the man steps back, the Lullaby finds himself frowning, disappointed. For all of their differences, he'd thought they were scientifically minded in similar ways. "Unless you plan to use your weapon to leave ugly marks on fences and houses, you need to know how it impacts a body if it is indeed to count as a weapon. Better someone like me who can presumably withstand the blast and be able to give you an account of it, than someone weaker, or lacking in the ability to communicate." His argument laid out, Remi smooths his shirt down once more.

"Shoot me."

This would be a hilarious time to find out whether or not Remi does in fact love Finn, should this end up killing him.
REMI
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
I had to ask, Finn is about to say, before he realises that this is exactly the point Remi has been trying to make. Chewing at the inside of his cheek, he can only shrug his shoulders. "Your husband agreed to this life," he reminds him. "But I will pass along the information to Cian and let him decide how to compensate you for the inconvenience." And that ought to be that, not just when it comes to the Order, but also when it comes to the gun.

But Remi insists and although there is no tug of curiosity in the same way there used to be - research at any cost is not possible when Finn has a son to look out for - he does make the sort of logical points that Finn can't argue against.

"Fine," he mutters, raising the firearm and focusing hard, before letting the shot go directly at Remi's chest.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi's fingertips itch with the urge to throttle Finn for being so maddeningly even and reasonable. Unconsciously perhaps, he can feel the gravity between the two diminishing. Not unlike two plants who pull so tightly toward one another that their orbit becomes oval-shaped until one is thrown out into space, so too everything feels like it has been fading away since the dream shared within a mirror and before a fireplace.

The blast does just under 4% damage to the alchemist, who stares down at his chest where the energy blast has left a hole in the blue of his shirt. Trying to remember what regular damage feels like, Remi tilts his head to the side and closes one eye. "Not bad." He says with a small shrug. "Go again." This time though, shadows sweep down from the walls and gather around Remi like a thick swath of fabric that breathes and pulses.

Magic: Shadow Veil | Shadows sweep together around Remi and one another. Their bodies are shrouded in shadow protecting them from attacks for one round. The veil follows Remi as he moves. Lasts for 1 post, requires a 2-post cooldown.
Type: Dark | Rank: Mastered
REMI
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
Remi doesn't even flinch, and however much the gravity between them might be diminishing (a fact that is healthy, despite how it feels like grieving), the Spyglass still feathers his jaw to realise he's done almost less than nothing to the other man. "I doubt other targets would just politely stand around while I try to hit them," he remarks, but already the Lullaby is summoning shadows to shroud himself with, and Finn's heartrate picks up substantially.

"Alright," he says, lining up for another shot. And this time when he lets it loose it feels a bit more natural - or maybe he's just a little more fired up. "What will you do with your vacation time?" he asks, and it already feels like too much. "If the Order leaves you alone for that season?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"You never know. Some do just that. The Basilisk in the Peepholes stayed quite still for the most part." Remi remarks mildly before shadows surge and swell around him. This time, Finn's pulse shatters against them, unable to penetrate the darkness. Dispersing to reveal the alchemist looking quietly composed. "But then again, if I was a moving target I very much doubt you would be able to hit me." That, and the idea of running from Finn made Remi feel slightly nauseous and unsettled.

Wings sprout from between the Lullaby's shoulders, and because he isn't wearing his special shirt, tear through the material. Meaning to take flight, Remi freezes in place with his eyes trained on the earth in front of him, before looking slowly toward Finn. Instead of saying, mind your own fucking business, or laughing and saying Finn, we don't ask each other those sorts of things, instead Remi's eyes seem to grow very dark. "I might go for a swim." Remi says in a measured voice. " Somewhere very deep." He remembers offering his hand to Finn, urging the other man to step onto the water near the docks with him. "Down so far that light fails to reach the bottom."

Rising into the sky abruptly, the alchemist tries to place himself with the sun not quite behind him, that it might blind the Spyglass and make him all the harder to hit.
REMI