[se] and back again; where it begins
open SE!
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Lena
and sweetest in the gale is heard
and sore must be the storm
Sitting upon a bench, for once the Caretaker was not deeply enthralled or distracted by one of her beasts. Behind her slumbered a few dragonlings, for once finding an opportunity to rest amidst their enclosure, and it granted Lena an opportunity to add to the decorum of her world. While the Celestine itself was beautiful, serene, quiet, and content, filled with stars and loops of twilight, the youth surmised there were more ways to add to the splendor.

So she’d begun to contemplate the reaches of Frey, the earth in spring, and the rise and fall of renewal, resurgence, after a long, hard winter. Humming under her breath, her fingers had started to place lights and lanterns together, hands carefully, intricately, folding the paper together, and tying them off with string.

There was a wide array of colors, all meant to represent her favored deity, in a time where the peaceful existence might not last much longer, and together they seemed to conform to a beatific blend of harmony, peace, and good-will; a bundle of them still strewn around her feet and over the wooden surface. Perhaps she could place them along the entrance to the Celestine, around the shrine, or throughout Stormbreak itself, against the outcropping of cold, harsh stone.
that could abash the little bird
that kept so many warm
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 9 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 47 - Endr: 46 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
NOAH

In the aftermath of what Noah had been through in the last few days, he needed time to clear his head and rearrange his thoughts before he could continue on with business. So he found himself in the place he had last visited to clear his head -- the Celestine. There was something that calmed him about being surrounded by animals. Eira trotted at his side, though she did get distracted by an enclosure with another griffin inside. While she was white and sturdy, it was sandy brown and quite lithe. Despite their differences, the companion spent quite a bit of time chirping and mewling at the griffin before she was comfortable enough to move on. It was obvious that it was here under Lena's care because of a broken wing.

As the pair rounded a corner, they found a familiar face. "Lena," Noah said, a smile turning across his stoic, thoughtful features as he closed the distance to her bench. "What are you working on?" He asked, although looking at the project alone gave him some ideas.

I'll follow you down through the eye of the storm

Don't worry I'll keep you warm
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
Not quite lost in the entire escapade, her attention deviated the moment her name was called. There was an initial throng of apprehension, and only because she wondered if something had happened with one of the animals, before it ceased and seceded altogether. Noah’s familiar form remained along the corner, and she laughed softly, brushing away a few stray hairs from her face. “Noah! How are you?” Was a dignified, warm greeting, complete with a welcome wave to the griffin, immediately rummaging through her basket for some treats.

While tending to those notions, the dragon hatchlings amongst the enclosure pressed their noses against the gate – either spying new blood or merely being curious. She eyed them briefly, perhaps in warning, perhaps in jest, before attending to the task she’d actually been perusing through. “Oh, with Flowerbirth here, I thought it’d be nice to liven things up. These are some lanterns to decorate the Celestine with.” The Caretaker snagged at a pale purple one, hanging it up for him to see. “I thought about painting on them too.” Maybe some animals, some plant life, pushing down thoughts of war and incoming catastrophe. “What brings you to the Celestine today?”
that kept so many warm
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
NOAH

There was no need for Noah to wait for an explicit invitation to sit on the bench with her. Her warm greeting was enough of one. Though they had only met the once, and it was a short meeting in the darkness of the early morning, there was a purity about the young woman that rang through Noah, giving him confidence that she could be trusted. "I'm doing alright." He responded as he sat, the answer vague but not evading enough to be alarming.

"Those will look nice. Do you want a hand?" He asked, his eyebrow lifting with the end of his question. It would be a good task for him to focus on, and let the thoughts of the broader world, the war, and everything else that crashed against his skull rest for some time. "No different reason than last time, I guess." The hunter chuckled as Eira brushed against Lena's legs, ready for the treats she rummaged for, "this is a good place to clear one's head."

Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
As an individual who voluntarily extended her assistance each and every day, the notion of receiving the same rendered another broad, bright smile. “If you’d like!” She passed a bundle of lanterns over to him, in assemblages of light blue (like the sky), orange, purple, and pink, and any other materials for painting were firmly placed in the middle, allowing for both of them to utilize brushes and paints whenever and wherever they’d choose. Thereafter, ensuring she hadn’t forgotten, the Caretaker extended her warmth and generosity to Eira, palm open with the treats instilled.

Her stare quirked over to the dragon hatchlings at the gate, who then scattered with a tremendous aplomb – the way young children might blast away when caught red-handed with something. She shook her head, knowing full well that those particular charges would be released soon, before tending to her task.

“Wherever we can find peace, hm?” She lofted and lilted, a harmonious little hum striking over the motions. Considering the options before her, she dipped her paintbrush into a darker blend of purple, figuring it’d look nice over the lavender – intending to mark dark streaks in it, like a brilliant sunset.
that kept so many warm
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

Noah had never been one for painting, or crafting of anything for that matter. However, making lanterns was something he was accustomed to. Even a few seasons ago his lantern had been chosen, in honor of Weaver, and she had been brought back to him momentarily. Before the world erupted with a roar and those who perished were able to come back as ascended. The day still made Noah's guts twist.

"I used to find my peace out on the tundra. It felt like it was the only place I could center myself again." It was still a true sentiment. Having now not been in touch with the icy lands of his birthplace for many seasons made his heart ache. "This place, with all of the animals, brings me back to it in a familiar way." Though it wasn't the same, it was a place where Noah could focus on the wildlife of Frey and not on what was needed of him. To stop and take a breath was entirely needed for the demigod to be able to fulfill what Vi wanted.

Noah took his own paintbrush and tapped it against a blue lantern, letting droplets of white paint create faint stars in a beautiful sky. "People will enjoy these."

Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
“I hope so,” she applied to the third statement, concentrating, focusing on her task with little streaks of lavender applied over and over again – glimpses of past sunsets or sunrises. The others mentioned would take more contemplation, and she didn’t want to parse through too much or say too little upon a man’s innermost reflections. “That doesn’t mean you won’t see it again,” she offered, carefully looking over her work instead of at the Sentinel. “Maybe it’s gone for now, but not forever.” An uplifting smile followed, before dipping her brush in the water, waiting for the colors to swirl away and falter off, so she could alter and change the hues.

Pink, this time, rosy complexions along clouds and stars. “Would it help, to talk about it?” Sheltered as she might’ve been from the outer world – Lena picked up on far more things than some might’ve thought. “I’ve never been to Halo.”
that kept so many warm
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

The hunter wasn't sure if he really wanted to talk about it. At least, not why he couldn't go back there. To his home. It stung too much to talk to with someone who didn't share the same pain. If it were Deimos or Cordelia it would be different, and although Lena was as nice as they came, she was still as good as a stranger. Instead, he could talk about the home he loved.

"It's the most beautiful place in the world. Dangerous, but beautiful. Halovians are strong people with unwavering loyalty to the ice." Even Morgan, who was a traitor among them, wolves among sheep, was still loyal to the place she had always called home, even if what she chose to do for the people was wrong. "So many people think it is nothing more than a frozen hellscape, but I've never been anywhere else where the people rally around each other and help with the survival of families more than in Halo." He took a breath in as he talked and worked, alternating paint colors and and adding more stars to the lanterns he worked on.

"The tundra is as peaceful as it is treacherous. You have to know it, and tread carefully, to be able to survive. But I've never seen such beautiful sights in my life."

Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Stranger she might be, but Lena had always prided herself on being a good listener. To animals in need, to people who required the same; capable of intermingling her voice without shades of judgement, without facades or visages to cloud and clutter the mind. While he talked, she painted brushstrokes of stars across her lantern’s makeshift landscape, and then pondering, tilting her head vaguely, to reflect a tundra perhaps, as he spoke at length of a world vast and beautiful and dangerous.

Like some of those she cared for. “So you come from a land made to endure,” and she smiled, gentle and quiet, her eyes remaining focused on the task, permitting an openness, a frankness, an earnestness to be shared. “I can see that in you,” as formidable as the wake in which he’d been born within. She paused momentarily, cleaning off her brush again, going for a lighter shade of pink, nearly white, to intermingle with the rest of the scenery. “Do you think that’s why some people choose to live there?” The beauty? The fortitude? The might?
that kept so many warm
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH

Noah smiled when Lena made her observation. It was a compliment to him. "There wasn't a lot of choosing before the portal opened." Noah said, lifting a lantern he finished up for Lena to approve or deny. "If you tried to leave Halo, the chances of making it over the mountains and through the wilds into another settled territory were slim at best." Even for the hardiest of people with the most skills and experience, dragons and frost giants and ursur were all still a threat. "But, I do think it is why some outlanders have chosen to come in. I know for some of them it reminds them of their home on another world." Deimos and Hotaru, for example.

"These are still wet, but if we are careful I think we can hang them before the sun goes down." He regarded their artwork, as well as motioning up towards the sun that dimmed below the buildings surrounding them. Long shadows were already beginning in some places, ready to reach out and take hold of the garden for long hours of sleep.

Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Her eyes took in his lantern, appraising and gentle, finishing with a smile and nod; the weight of her approval never too vast or great. She placed the final touches on her own, putting the paintbrush down into the water, permitting the colors to blend and blur while she observed, pausing in the ministrations and thoughts to reflect on her own task. It seemed suitable enough.

Back to his words though, as she began to gather and collect the finer things. “I see,” in some regard, though she didn’t mention her distrust in portals. Given Noah’s status as a demigod, he’d likely already heard the warnings instilled. “Maybe I’ll wander over there some day.” Another grin – embellished in its generosity and beneficence, as he agreed with his assessment. “Yes, of course.” Thereafter, she snagged at the rest of the supplies, and grabbed hold of all the others. “Thank you for telling me.” For it probably hadn’t been easy.

Then, they could go hang beautiful beacons of light, painted fixtures, to ignite and see through the perils of upcoming days.

{FIN}
that kept so many warm