lower the gates
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MORGAN
the glacier
Now these days are feeling dark
We're struggling to figure out last year
Morgan had been at the Sea of Glass more as a formality than anything else, to make sure Wessex wasn't going to do anything stupid like promise the Citadel in exchange for the relic. That hadn't happened, but what had happened was the appearance of something huge and very angry from beneath the ice. She hadn't stuck around too long to see the beast; just long enough to see that it was there, and to know that the Citadel was not too far.

While the Mosasaurus was confined to the water for now, she had seen enough in Caido to know that wasn't always going to be the case. After all, they had sky whales.

So she had run to make sure her Citadel was ready in case the fight came any closer. The Demi-Gods could handle themselves - her heart did pang for a moment as she looked to Neron, but Halo always came first. Morgan just hoped he'd be sensible.

Arriving into the gates, she turned to the first guard she saw. "Shut the gates and prepare defences towards the Sea of Glass. Hopefully, we won't need them, but there's a big threat out there we need to be prepared for." With further instructions as to the exact positioning of guards and weapons given, she went to stand on the wall at the highest point by the gate, where she might get the best view of the tundra leading out to the Sea. From there she would watch for any threat...and for Neron returning home, though she steeled herself with a clench of her jaw against considering any other possibility.
When the woman in the sky
keeps saying things that no one wants to hear
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2895
yet my blood renders me a King
News of the threat came from a guard who had raced to alert Sah. Something had happened with the Sea of Glass and now Halo was in danger yet again. Sprinting towards the gate with Lilly at this side, the Abandoned spotted Morgan and made his way over. "What's the situation?" His eyes went towards the direction of the Sea, trying to pinpoint if anything was coming their way.

Sah felt wary of what might be beyond the ice. And though he now suspected that another attempt had been made on the Sea of Glass without his knowledge and felt irritated over it, now wasn't the time. He could question Morgan or someone else later. Right now they had to secure Halo.
Sah
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
MORGAN
the glacier
Morgan's sentinel gaze over the Tundra was broken as Sah approached; she gave him a perfunctory nod before her eyes went back to their mission, though she did speak. "Monster. Unlike anything I've seen. From the Sea of Glass." Shaking her head, not sure entirely how to describe the creature, she gestured with her hands outwards. "Absolutely huge and aggressive...but there are powerful people at the sea, that I think will be able to hold it back."

After a moment of quiet, she tilted her head back and forth. "And I don't think it can come out of the water. But I didn't want to take the chance, so I came to lock down the Citadel. I will keep the watch until Neron....and ah, anyone else, if they choose to come here - returns." Or until it felt unlikely they were alive anymore, but she didn't want to let those words pass her lips.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah gave a quick nod, "Understood." There were so many questions left unsaid. Who was out there? What had triggered the monster's appearance? How could they best protect the people?

Sah eyed the gates and those stationed along the walls of the Citadel, eyes narrowed in thought. "Let's fortify while we have the chance." He glanced at Morgan, "Can you use your water magic to make an ice sheet over the gate? Even a few inches might reinforce it enough to slow anything from breaking through." And a few seconds delay could mean the difference of life or death. Any advantage they might have against the threat needed to be utilized to the fullest.  

As for himself, the younger Abandoned began to use his telekinesis to create a barricade along the edge of the citadel using anything that appeared to not be in use. Barrels, carts, large rocks, etc. It wasn't much but it was better than nothing.
Sah
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
the glacier
Sah's suggestion was a good one; something Morgan had done herself at the threat of prior dangers. The personal attachment and sudden nature of this situation had thrown her off. She nodded and went forward til she could see the gate, then raised a hand out over the entrance to begin forming an ice wall, the water creeping up from the ground and freezing in place. "I hope it will not be necessary, but you are right. It could be vital."

Her last big failure had been at these gates. She wouldn't have it again.

Once the barrier was in place, the ice solid and unlikely to melt unless touched by another water-tuned Abandoned, she leaned back and folded her arms atop the wall, staring back out into the snow. "There's Ascended out there - Wessex, Kiada, Neron, but also Demi Gods of...I'm not sure which Old Gods, honestly, but Remi and Ronin. Do you know them? They are very powerful."
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Defenses in order, Sah listened intently as Morgan provided more details of the situation. His eyes narrowed in slight annoyance. "I see. Another attempt on the Sea of Glass was made, I gather?" He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, trying to suppress his frustration. "Next time, please inform me. If I'm to be part of your council, I'd prefer to be in the know about such things." How was he supposed to help otherwise?

The mention of the Demi Gods is as reassuring as it is unnerving. Sah still wasn't sure where he stood with Wessex now. His respect for her remained but there was little trust between them now. Ronin and Remi were another case. "Those two are very powerful indeed. I'm glad we have their help." The Outlander admitted. He'd met both and although he didn't' know them well, their interactions had been amicable. At the very least, he got the impression that they would and could handle the threat before it reached Halo. Still, Sah would remain on guard and ready to defend his home just in case.
Sah
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
the glacier
Sah's irritation was noted with a raise of one eyebrow, Morgan looking across at him with a surprised expression she pulled back to neutral. "It did not start that way. I was asked to accompany The Ascended on a trip to speak to Eirachi...I was merely there to make sure no one bargained away the Citadel or anything like that. I assure you, nothing was held secret intentionally. I didn't know they meant to split the sea then and there, but things escalated, as they so often do, when this divide is involved." Ascended and Accepted, the Demi Gods of either side...they were both very passionate.

She tilted her head side to side about Remi and Ronin. "Do not trust them entirely. If it would benefit their Gods, they would toss Halo to the side immediately - as would the Ascended." Morgan wasn't blind to that, even with her affections for Neron. "Halo's neutrality is a strength and a weakness. But I'd hope in this situation it is the former, as neither side has a reason to bring destruction upon the Citadel." Maybe they even hoped the Citadel would openly claim allegiance to them. She wouldn't dissuade them from that thought, if it kept her people safe.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah nodded in understanding, some of the tension leaving him as he processed her words. Morgan seemed to be telling the truth, so he gave her a tired smile, his tone earnest, "Got it. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. If you do get the chance, I'd still like to participate in such talks if they're happening in Halo." In case things did escalate again and also just so that he could get a better handle on possible effects they might have on Halo.

Sah was a bit surprised to hear Morgan speak so plainly about the Ascended. It seemed she wasn't as ignorant of it all as some said. Though he did think it was a bit naive to consider Halo truly neutral at the moment. The increased presence of Ascended and the decreasing presence of Attuned reflected that shift. Morgan may consider herself neutral and may strive for it, but many of her recent actions had given Sah and others the impression that she was for the Voice.

Relaxing, Sah turned his eyes back to the Sea of Glass. His eyes scanned the area around the Citadel carefully, looking for any sign of danger as he responded to Morgan's warning. "You're right. None of the demigods should be taken lightly. They'll take their God's side at the end of the day, even if they don't want to. They don't have a choice. Just as all Ascended had to side with the Voice.
Sah
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
the glacier
She was glad to hear Sah back down; frankly, she didn't have the energy for arguments right now. Politics were beyond Morgan at the best of times, but right now, as Ascended and Demi Gods battled on the Tundra and the one she loved was in the midst of it, she truly couldn't even touch the topic. "Hopefully I'll have better notice of the next...and it won't occur at the edge of the Sea. You'd be welcome."

Morgan knew that many around her thought her blind to the sins of Ascended, or thought she was ignorant of how it looked that she had begun a relationship with Neron. She was not; there existed contradictions and uncertainties in her own mind about the entire situation too. All she could do was what she had been, though: trying to do the best for her people.

"Exactly. The Ascended are dependant on the Voice for their fluid and those that are bound to the Old Gods fear heavy punishment for breaking their promises. It is why I am glad to be Abandoned and remain as such. No ties, no promises, no Gods controlling me." She let her hands join behind her back, her eyes softening just a little as she looked out over the snow. "...Neron was the same, once, I believe, but a dire situation forced him to the Voice. This is how she captures many - she takes when they are desperate."
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
"That'd be preferable, thanks." Sah chuckled slightly, eyes still scanning the ice and snow. As long as Morgan made efforts to include him when she had the chance, he'd be content. He was an Outlander yes, but Halo and its people were all he had now. He wanted them safe, happy, and free of fear.

Sah was further surprised to hear Morgan's view of the Voice. Even more so to hear that it aligned with his own. "Gods are the same in every world it seems." He mused as he continued to guard Halo in the only way he could at the moment. "They act based on their own plans and needs. They ask for loyalty and then reward, punish, and manipulate as needed to keep it. They act on a different moral ground then us mortals, one that we either can't comprehend or don't realize until it's too late." Even Mune had her faults. She was a Goddess after all. Still Sah had never once regretted giving his loyalty and life to her. Still didn't.

The Outlander sighed after a moment, "I've met the Voice. She offered to Ascend me. Told me that if I ever wished for it, I'd just need to go to her shrine and ask. I've never returned." Sah glanced at Morgan, "I don't wish to Ascent or Attune. For the very reasons you've pointed out."

It probably sounded strange given how Sah had stated his allegiance to the Old Gods. But what so many seemed to struggle to comprehend was that the Outlander's loyalty was to people who just so happened to be followers of the Old Gods. That was it. Sah had chosen to side with Deimos, Cordelia, Noah, and Halo. Not with Safrin, Ludo. Frey, or any of the rest.
Sah
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
the glacier
Morgan nodded at Sah's assessment; she'd heard tales of Gods in other worlds and in those where they had been as present as they were in Caido, they had always been tyrants and manipulators. Something about absolute power and corruption, she supposed, but Morgan wanted to feel it was less helpless than that. That they could somehow find reason with the deities that ruled the land.

Clearly, they weren't going to win peace through force.

"I've never met her, though I'm sure she'd make much the same offer to me. After all, the times I have attempted to pray for her, I have been wanting her aid. I cannot imagine it would have been free." She sighed and looked across to Sah, wondering if they had landed on the conversation that might finally get them closer. "This is why I try to not support either side more than the other. I do not want Halo to be ruled by a God, but by it's own people - when Noah and Hotaru came, they were here under instructions from the Old Gods and would have ruled by their instruction. That is not what the Citadel is for." Morgan would die before she would see Halo bound to the shackles of the Gods, forced into worship or war for deities that didn't care for any of them.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah glanced at Morgan in surprise. He'd hadn't expected her to come out and say that she'd sought the Voice's council, but it did make sense. That and it could have been before this war business entirely.  "She never responded? Have you tried the Old Gods?"

He paused, not wanting to come across as accusatory or integratory, "Did you try to get one of the gods to give us a quest like we planned, or did things get too hectic for you to get away for a day?" The Outlander hadn't heard anything, and he'd been meaning to ask. Halo safety always had to come before such things so if Morgan hadn't had a chance to try, he'd understand.

Sah understood Morgan's view and as much as he too wanted Halo to be neutral, he didn't see it as feasible. "I once tried to pray to the Old Gods. I was ignored but I had a nice conversation with the spirits." He chuckled, "Sometimes I think the spirits are the only ones in Caido who think clearly." They had their biases, but they almost seemed separate from the plots of gods.
Sah
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
the glacier
"Yes - it was the old Gods that aided us before in securing the Citadel and building the greenhouse. I do genuinely try for neutrality, and that involves giving all Gods equal attention. I know we cannot live a life without them, but I would like to get by without swearing loyalty to any, if I can." Morgan sighed, knowing as she said it how tricky it sounded; all Gods, old and new, wanted followers to be devoted. "I am intending to go this week. There has been a lot to do and I wanted to wait some time so we would not seem too demanding. But...we cannot wait too long, with the war on our backs. Of course, you are welcome to come with me to pray. We are both Abandoned, but...maybe more people is better anyway."

Her eyes were still drawn to the horizon, her face always ready to settle back into grim patience, but she did smile at what he said about spirits. "I used to spend a lot of time speaking to spirits in the mountains. I miss it."
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah filed the information aware for later and gave Morgan a tired smile, "I'm glad I'm not the only one." It was intriguing how similar yet opposite they were. Both wished to avoid swearing fealty to any of the Gods yet they both leaned in different directions. They had prayed to both Old and New. The New had answered Sah yet he was more inclined towards the Old. It seemed to be the opposite for the Warden as far as the younger Abandoned could tell.

The mention of the upcoming shrine visit caught Sah's attention. "I'd loved to go." He snickered slightly, "It should be interesting given what we are. Hopefully we'll receive an answer." Sah fell quiet for a moment before continuing, "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I'm still so unused to Caido's Gods", he admitted with a slight sigh.

Sah hadn't expected to Morgan to agree with him once more, in regard to spirits now. It pulled a smile from him, "I see." The Outlander then turned his attention back to the Sea of Glass with narrowed eyes. "I think it's almost over." The noise and shaking of the ice seemed to have abated somewhat.
Sah