less than I do
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 27 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int: 0
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
Nice flex, but I don't fuck with all the vanity
Another day, another sky boat ride to the Greatwood. Today he and Mateo were going to go and have lunch by the Drop. It was a good walk from the houseboat, during which Everest filled his friend in on the things he'd learned about spirits areom the day before.

Having collected a good-sized pile of things to throw down into the Drop, Ever sits near the edge, peering down. "I didn't even know spirits did that sort of thing. I suppose it's possible, but...cookies?" The boy gives his head a shake. "I understand them taking things...but cleaning everything up? And removing the smell?" Pursing his lips Ever selects two stones. One large, but quite thin, and the other dense and small. Reaching his hands over the drop, he releases them both at the same time to see which would hit the water first.
everest
Styling stolen from Sky (obviously)
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
MATEO
"It's ghosts." Mateo sounds surprisingly convinced about that, considering his cheeks are plumped up with the berries he's been snacking on as they walked to the Drop. To Ever's carefully selected rocks, he adds an acorn and a small twig, the boy uninterested in who would win and just waiting to hear the splash!

Swallowing and wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, he shuffles to sit at the edge of the Drop, dangling his legs over the side. "Remember when we went and stayed at that house with Paige? Ghosts are real - we proved it. Maybe one followed you home. Or maybe one followed your dad home." These are both very logical suggestions, of course.
the earth has music for those who listen
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Holding the acorn and the twig in each hand to try and get the measure of them, Ever holds them out over the drop and releases. Unfortunately, the splash they create is fairly unsatisfying. Acoustically, anyway.

'Yes.' Ever says with a feigned shiver. He does indeed remember. He's had nightmares about it on more than one occasion, only he can't tell his parents what has him so upset as they're still unaware of where he'd spent the majority of his evening. "A...ghost that wants cookies and likes cleaning up? I suppose." Ever is learning that because almost anything is possible, he can't readily denounce any of Mateo's weird suggestions with the ease he used to be able to.

"I haven't seen Paige in a while. Do you think she's seen the ghost?"
everest
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
MATEO
It is unsatisfying, and Mateo wrinkles his nose down at the Drop as if it's the place's fault for creating such a lame sound. Glancing about, he grabs a large, smooth rock that he's sure will make a wonderful plunk, handing it to Ever so he can lob it over the edge. "How do you know it likes cookies? Maybe it hates them, that's why it got rid of them. If you make more cookies and they disappear again, you'll know that it's a cookie-hating-ghost," he confirms.

"Mm...? No, I haven't seen her either. Maybe a ghost got her too!" He looks momentarily worried by the prospect, before forgetting all about it. "Nonna met a lady in the woods who said she was Mort's daughter. I bet that she could shoo a ghost out of your house. Or even my dad could do it, if he was in a good mood."
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Accepting the rock without question, Ever grunts at its weight. Unable to hold it for long, he lobs it over. As it hits the water it thunks drawing the water down with it and then exploding it back outward in a shower. "Oooh." Ever hums appreciatively and immediately scribbling something down in his notebook.

"But if it likes cookies and I make more, won't it take them too? How would I know the difference?" Ever counters, puckering his lip.

Turning with alarm to his friend, Ever's eyes widen. "Do you really think so? Should we go check on her?" He asks, not losing his concern nearly as fast as Mateo. Mention of Remi (presumably), has the boy nervously itching the side of his cheek. "My Dad and your dad are....weird together. I don't know why."
everest
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
Mateo's mouth falls open, but Ever ooohs before he gets the chance to voice the same thing - either way, it has him searching for another rock to dig up and drop over the side. "I suppose... you wouldn't," he confesses, finding a suitable specimen and rolling it towards the edge of the Drop until it sails over the side. Listening out for the thunk and sploosh, he's grinning as he glances back to his friend.

"Maybe that's why you need the Mort lady or my dad. I bet you could ask the ghost if it likes cookies, then," he suggests, sitting himself back down and reaching for their lunch in the basket he's brought with them. "I think she's in Torchline, right? We could take the skyboat there, but do you think we'll be okay going by ourselves?" He's certainly not averse to the idea.

Munching on a sandwich he's unwrapped, Mateo kicks his feet back against the Drop again. "My dad's weird with everyone, mostly," he says, as if that might be the reason why.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
'Be careful not to fall.' Ever offers automatically, not meaning to sound as parental as he probably did. "Will you ask your dad?" Pausing, the boy's eyes dart toward the grass as he sucks both of his lips in and pins them beneath his teeth for a moment. "He scares me a little." Remi had never done anything to Ever of course, but having picked up on his own father's tension about the Lullaby, he was more cautious than he probably needed to be.

Itching his nose and leaving a bit of dirt there inadvertently, Ever shrugs. "Uhhmm....maybe we could write a letter instead." He suggests, knowing that his parents would never approve of him going to Torchline with Mateo as a chaperone.

Unwrapping his sandwich slowly and methodically, Ever considers the ratio of meat, to cheese, to vegetables, before taking a small bite. "My dad always gets a really big crease in his forehead. Right here." Pressing between his eyes to indicate, Ever shrugs and swallows. "My mom said we should have you and your dads over for dinner, and he choked on his food and spilled his wine all over the table."
everest
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
"Why does he scare you? Is it because he only has three fingers now on his right hand?" Mateo wonders, accepting the coddling with a good natured nod, continuing to swing his legs as he eats his sandwich. He, of course, has no method to his madness, and he's busy pulling the slice of cheese all the way out to eat all at once when Ever continues. "Oh, a letter would be good! We can both sign it," he decides. "We can work on it tomorrow in school at lunchtime."

That, at least, seems settled. But as Ever continues about Finn, the Taliesin boy can't help but look bemused. "Is that a good thing?" he wonders. "I won't ask him if you don't want me to. But maybe it would be nice if they both came to dinner. My dad always seems happier when he's with my pa." Or at least better behaved.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
"No...it's more like...once I saw him break a tree in half. Like, a big tree. Just with his hands." He'd also seen Remi pull doors off of their hinges and nail things into place without even using a hammer.

"Okay, deal." Sending a letter felt right. It checked the obligation box of being concerned about Paige's welfare without putting either of them in danger. At least Ever thought so.

Nibbling at the crust of his sandwich first, Ever considers before shaking his head. "No, I don't think so. Normally my dad doesn't make faces like that or spill things. He's usually very..." What was the word? Scrunching his face, Ever eventually decides on, "..measured." But if Remi was better with Ronin, maybe it would all be okay. "I'll ask my mom. It was just his birthday last season, but maybe it can be a surprise birthday party anyway."
everest
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
"Oh. Well, that's not scary all the time - sometimes it's really useful!" Mateo says, as if to justify his father's terrifying strength. "And he also likes to make things. I bet he could show us both how to make a treehouse, or how to finish the skyboat we were building, or how to make wine." Not that Mateo likes wine very much. But still! Suddenly he feels like he has to make up for his father being the way he is.

Rolling the meat and vegetables up in one slice of the bread from his sandwich, Mateo munches on that while breaking up the other slice to throw to the fish in the Drop below. "I wish my parents were measured, sometimes," he admits with a small smile. "I think that would be good, though! If you ask your mom, I'll tell my dads and we'll wait to see when she thinks is best."
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Grimacing politely, Ever hopes never to be in a situation where Remi's impossible strength is useful. 'Okay...' He mumbles without conviction. "Maybe one day."

Glancing across at the way Mateo has transmuted his sandwich into a burrito, he peers into the Drop as the fish rush to the surface to gobble the bits of bread. "I like it. I know they seem a bit strict but...I always know what to expect from them, and that makes me feel..." Less anxious, but he doesn't quite have the forethought to describe it that way, so instead he says, "..safe." Which is about the same.

"That sounds good. Maybe you can make a centrepiece for the table from whatever you have growing? I know my mom would really like that." Even if it was mushrooms and sticks. "And then maybe we could all go for a walk in the Celestine and get hot chocolates."
everest
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
Happy with that, even if maybe one day is the sort of thing that parents say to their kids when they never intend on bringing it up again, Mateo pushes the rest of his sandwich burrito into his mouth. Truthfully his parents never maybe one day at him and are never all that strict, and while Mateo can't say he doesn't feel unsafe, he surprises himself by understanding exactly what Ever means. "I like your parents," he says instead, offering a sunny smile in the other boy's direction.

"Oooh, that sounds great. I have a bunch of things I can make into a centrepiece, and you should be able to eat it all afterwards," he agrees, nodding enthusiastically and clambering back to his feet so he can go rifling through the basket. "I'll see if they want to take a skyboat with me as well. I know they can get to Stormbreak in dreams, but I like the trip."
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Ever ponders his friend's response for a moment, before offering Mateo a sunny smile in return. "Thanks." He says, and it sounds as if he means more than for just liking his parents.

"Won't we be full from dinner?" Silly Ever. You should have kept that to yourself and used it as a clever excuse for why you didn't want to eat the centrepiece. 'When will your skyboat be done?' He asks almost conversationally, turning to watch Mateo rifle through the basket before returning his attention to the water below.

"What's the creature that's supposed to live down there?"
everest
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
"You don't have to eat the centrepiece on the same day as everything else," Mateo says with a smile, dusting the crumbs off his shirt and his pants, before withdrawing a couple of cookies from the basket and offering one out to Ever. "Oh, I'm not sure. My dad and I were working on it when he still lived in Stormbreak, but I guess I visit here more than he comes to see me there now. Maybe I'll try and do it by myself..."

It's with thoughts of skyboats trundling through his head that he moves to plop back down next to Ever, nibbling on his cookie. "Down there? The Afanc, I think it's called. It's like a big octopus. I heard a bunch of people ran into it once when there was a rockslide down there, but it was before I was born."