just say when
Ru <3
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
SUNJATA
angel loves to keep me spinning, much too high to see
that all these chains have started thinning & hell is breaking free
It’s still raining, but it just pangs against his mind that same feeling of home, like the sound of raindrops hitting tin rooftops, like the chill that breezes in from the stormy sea. The Hanged Man is yet another place that Sunjata hasn’t been to in a while, but he supposes that since he’s here… When in Rome and all that. There’s a booth toward the end that’s empty, shadowed, hidden away – a space he’d often sat when he was Governor, spreading the papers he worked on out along the surface.

It seems it still holds his name even now.

So he slides toward it, grabbing a drink from the main edge of the bar, the kind just how he likes it and manages to down the thing while he sits, watching the tide come in and the varying yet now strangers pouring in. Some are regulars, some even nod to him, but for the most part he keeps to himself, downing his drink and ordering another, closing his eyes as if he were to not think about it, it might just feel like Korofi again.
every choice, every lie, demons that he kept inside
angel now that i've stopped spinning, could you come clean?
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Hotaru

It's strange, being back in Torchline after everything. The Hanged Man feels like the safest space to visit her first time back with its ensured anonymity and solitude. The number of familiar faces as she makes her way there is disorienting, the mumbled greetings and tipped heads a reminder that this had once been some version of home to her. A home that had never fully solidified, and is now lost to her. Just like the Hollowed Grounds, and Halo, and Helovia in its entirety. The Greatwood doesn't feel as if it stands to even offer her the chance, and she has given up attempting to force her surroundings into some approximation of one.

When she steps in the door her eyes go to Sunjata like a magnet, like her magic itself is attuned to his very being. She wouldn't be surprised if that was true. Hesitating on the threshold long enough for someone to grumble at her for being in the way, she sighs and rethinks hanging up her traveling cloak, tightening it around herself in some approximation of a shield as she moves up to order her own drink. Taking her time to savor it mouthful by mouthful before she orders a refill. Only then taking her newly full glass and quietly moving to Sunjata's side.

Things are better between them, she knows that, but they'll never be right, and it makes her hesitate right before she slides into the seat beside him. "Rain giving you trouble?" she asks softly, knowing how it used to bring back memories for him.
But I am just a broken machine
And I do things that I don't really mean
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SUNJATA
His eyes are closed when she enters and they remain that way for the majority of time Hotaru is downing a glass and refilling it, to the point where he’s nearly drowned out the sounds around him, half in a spot where he could fall asleep if he wanted to. He doesn’t, though, because theres movement in the seat beside him and his gaze snaps open, head tilting toward whomever decided to sit beside him, and that’s when he stills.

His eyes widen a fraction and he sits up a bit more in his seat, the alcohol burning his stomach in all the right spaces that make this easier than it had been previously. “None more than usual.” He hums to her, reaching for his glass to raise it to his lips, taking a quick sip before he sets it down again, angling a bit more toward her in the booth they share. “You made the flight back alright, it looks like? How did it go?” He prompts quietly, tired steel meeting her bi-toned gaze with a silent question within it.
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Hotaru

A small fond smile pulls at the corners of her mouth, poorly hidden, as the Flood startles a little in place and comes to himself. Only he would find enough comfort in a loud bar to nearly nod off. Though part of her hurts, as always, to see how he straightens as if feeling the need to prepare himself against her presence. Ru doesn't hold it against him; it's well-earned.

At least the ghosts that seem to usually haunt him are not the old sort. Whether that's a good thing or not, well. There are always new demons to face. Lifting her own glass to sip idly at it before she responds, she savors the sweet burn of the rum and considers the plentiful things that have already happened in the short time since they'd last run into each other. "Better than I expected, and easier with every flight." There's a quiet gratitude in her tone, unspoken but easily deciphered. Stretching her legs out under the booth, she sighs and tilts her head back against the rest. "The twins visited Frey's shrine at the end of Deepfrost. They're around eight now. Makes it easier to travel." Explaining why she's here at his side and not still in the Greatwood. Listlessly turning her head to face him, she gives a tired smile to match his own lidded eyes. "Ran into Maeve. Then Wessex. The Greatwood has dismally few bars, so," here she twirls one wrist instead of finishing her sentence, the 'here I am' loud in the silence. Clearly intent on drinking past her normal singular glass.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
I’m glad.” He offers her his honesty — glad that she had gotten past her worries and fear of flight, happy to have been some part of it to give her a better memory (however hard it was given his presence). He lifts his glass of whiskey to his lips and takes a sip, setting it down when he goes to face her a bit more fully, understanding glimmering in his gaze. “Does make it easier, huh?” It certainly did with the fact Kamaria was older, able to not require his permanent presence for every single thing.

As for the rest of it, though, amusement quickly flashes in his steel eyes, a huff of a sound leaving him that’s nearly mischievous in the way he answers her unsaid comment. “So here you are.” He rumbles, head tilting slightly as he props it on an arm, gaze still tired where he watches her. “Funnily enough, I came here to chat with Maeve. And to help out with a bit of preparation for monsoon season before I left.” Evidently fate had a sense of humor after all.

I planned on leaving tomorrow to head back home.” He says offhandedly, gaze scanning her face for anything of interest. “But for now, here I am.” Comes the playful jest, only due to the alcohol swimming in his gut.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

His sincerity prompts the tiniest smile from the Valkyrie, something free of sarcasm and wryness that's scarcely seen, and even now is relatively ephemeral. "Definitely. Almost glad I missed the weeks of sleepless nights really," she huffs a laugh that's swallowed by the rim of her glass, swallowing down the liquid within - and the lump in her throat that reminds her that she still wishes war hadn't forced her to give up eight years of time with them. Only Safrin's magic protecting the children of Caido allows her to leave their sides without going out of her mind with worry.

She watches him watching her, his unguarded sleepiness endearing in a way that hurts her heart. Though one fair brow rises curiously for a moment before she tilts her head as she comes to her own conclusion. "Didn't know you knew her, but it makes sense given you were Governor, and she's now Queen. Just can't let go?" Or was there something else she was missing? Something she'd lost out on in the aftermath of their break? His eyes on her warms her more than the alcohol, but she only smiles, uncharacteristically lopsided and uncomposed. Maybe he's rubbing off on her. "Here you are," she parrots back, laughing softly.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
A hum of amusement leaves him in response, understanding glimmering in his slightly buzzed state, until the point that she comments about Maeve and his brows pinch together a fraction. “Oh. You didn’t?” He asks, head remaining propped and tilted on his fist before he pushes himself up a bit more fully and reaches for the glass of whiskey. “Her and I had a bit of a thing. Once you and Nate had left.” He admits, keeping his gaze from her.

He takes a sip from the glass before his gaze lifts to meet hers again. “I’m surprised you didn’t know about that.” Given everything she knew about him already and the rumors that surrounded Torchline when it came to Maeve’s son’s heritage. After all, Locke didn’t have the grey eyes that Sunjata had. And Edmund certainly didn’t have the hazel eyes of his father. “You… Know how I get when I get low, and she was there offering to help.” And gods how much dramatics came from there.

Part of the reason there’s that NW etched into his bicep now, but Sunjata’s careful to try not to set Hotaru off with the information. Instead, he watches her carefully, waiting with bated breath to see her response.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Only a drink and a half in, Hotaru is sober enough for the flags to go up in her head, telling her urgently that we are not nearly drunk enough for this conversation. Or maybe not sober enough even now. Because she isn't expecting the way everything inside her burns. Fire down her throat hotter than any liquor could hope to compete with, until it's razing her insides to ash. Then there's the bile that rises in contrast, because she doesn't know which hurt is more painful. That Maeve had slept with her ex-husband after everything she knew, or that Sunjata had found comfort in another woman's arms.

Her hand shakes terribly as she lowers her glass to the table, and she knows even in his impaired state that there will be no hiding that from Sunjata. Still, she clasps her hands in her lap moments after, where he can't see the way her knuckles go white with strain as she threads her fingers together beneath the table. "No. I didn't know." Her voice is measured, and very, very quiet. Staring into the liquid in her glass like it holds the secrets to the known universe. Or maybe just the answer to the only question she cares to ask: why?

Of course she hadn't heard the rumors, given she'd been exiled from Torchline, and then of course everything that had happened after had taken up far more attention. She'd not even met Edmund yet for Gods sakes. "That was...kind. Of her. To offer." The words are stilted, and still so very soft. You aren't going to cry, she tells herself, unsure whether it's cajoling or a command. You're not. Not over him, for something you did, and not over her when you were never anything to begin with. Sucking in a slow breath she gives a tiny shake of her shoulders and pulls at her composure with all her might to bear turning to meet his gaze and give a tiny, shaky smile.

"I thought she was with Locke, considering...Edmund. But perhaps they were more open." Or had she been with Locke when she'd been in Hotaru's bed? And would it have mattered? Open relationships worked for everyone but Ru it seemed, and she would have had - and still has - no ground to stand on.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
Hotaru might not be drunk enough, but Sunjata’s on that cusp, noticing immediately the change to her posture as it slips from his lips — but he’d never kept it a secret. Everyone knew. He’d intended to keep it temporary until Nate decided what he wanted do, and as for Hotaru? Sunjata had crossed her off the list. It’s what he had assumed she wanted. But even now with her reaction and the way she stiffens, the brief memories of that letter she’d sent, it crosses within him as he shakes his head slightly, an arm rising to drape around the back of her space in the booth, body angling toward her a bit more and close enough she could likely scent the alcohol wafting from him and his loosened touch of the attuned bond that seeps from him as if it’s the flare of an alarm.

And given the fact that he’s quite a bit buzzed, it’s the only reason the next few words slip from his lips. “I had only assumed it was work for her.” But the but weighs heavily on his tongue and he shakes his head away from it, fingers digging into the cushion behind Hotaru. “I didn’t know about Locke until Nate came back.” It’s still a thought that has him somewhat uncomfortable, regardless of the jealousy that sparks from him when he thinks of the other Attuned.

Still, he heaves a quiet sigh. “Maeve assured me that Edmund was Locke’s, but the people of Torchline assumed otherwise.” He frowns, shaking his head. “I know he isn’t mine. But for whatever reason he’s got…” Here’s where buzzed Sunjata falters and shakes his head, a pulse of upset slipping from his side of the bond. Greyish eyes, when Locke’s are hazel. So Torchline had a fucking field day. And I had a few outbursts with Maeve on the subject. It ends a bit more throaty, more upset than he intends, but he makes to try and withdraw into himself a bit more — a challenge, given everything.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Of course he has no way of knowing that she is not upset with him, if upset is even what she's really feeling. Everything still feels blown wide and tender, and far too fresh to begin to categorize into little boxes of emotion. Her breath is just starting to come a little too fast when his arm comes around her, and she shudders like her bones are collapsing and tilts sideways into the vague mimicry of an embrace until her shoulder touches the height of his ribs under his offered arm. The smell of alcohol on him burns her nose - or so she tells herself, refusing to acknowledge the sting that sweeps from eyes to nose to throat - but beneath that is his natural scent, still so familiar to her. Still capable of calming her even when she isn't sure she wants it to.

Through it all she refuses to blink. It keeps the moisture from gathering in her eyes, and lets her hold her visible composure easier even as her body language betrays her. "Was it work?" she dares to ask, clinging to that potential out, a way to excuse this hurt. This betrayal. Because if Sunjata doubted that it was work to her...well, Ru still believes in him, still puts weight in his opinion, his outlook.

Anger and injustice stirs beneath her breastbone at the mention of Edmund, Locke, rumors. It's an emotion easier to focus on than heartbreak, and her face twists, darkening as his words falter and he reaches through the bond to her. Her hand immediately settles upon his knee to squeeze firmly, the first platonic place she can think to grasp in her disoriented state. "I am so sorry," she hisses, but it comes out more poisonous than she intended, directed at the unfairness of the situation at large. "Why would outbursts even be necessary? She isn't putting a stop to the rumors?" Moments ago Hotaru's tone would have been slightly more confused, but now she is rethinking everything she knows of the Nightshade.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
She leans into his touch and his arm slips around her slender shoulders, brazen by the drink running through his blood stream, and he huffs a quiet sigh at her question, head dipping a fraction as he turns to glance at the glass settled on the table that he’d drank from and the one of her own that’s rather empty – lifting a hand to signal to the barkeep for another round because it feels like they’re both going to need it. “I only found out recently during LongNight that it wasn’t for her. That she caught feelings.” He assumes the feelings are gone now, but he has no way of confirming it, not without bringing it up to Maeve. And regardless of the jealousy he feels for Locke, he trusts the other Attuned’s words on the subject.

Her hand moves to his knee and his gaze drops to it, before lifting to meet her face – cramped in this dark corner that they are, his hand slips around to cover her own, thumb brushing along the top of it as he huffs a sigh. “She was. But I don’t think she noticed all of them.” And Hotaru knew how detrimental rumors could be. “Honestly? I don’t care if they do or don’t, but I care for Edmund’s safety what an association to me might be like for him.” He admits, working his jaw before his posture loosens its tension and he sags a bit into the seat beside her right when the new glasses are set on the table.

The hand that covers hers leaves to grab the near finished drink of his to down the rest and slide the empty glass toward the center of the table where he can pull the new glass closer to him. “As it stands, though, she’s ruling Torchline and given the… Awkwardness of our relationship now and how much she doesn’t like Nate, it's easier being in the Wilds.” He shrugs, his steel gaze returning to her face.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

She almost loathes the clothes she wears for keeping the calloused warmth of his palm from touching her skin, sure it would somehow make her feel better, but if they're both going to get sloshed then some degree of separation has to be kept. It's painfully reminiscent of that first night when he'd put the DA bracelet on her wrist, or perhaps the one by the fireplace when she'd bared her soul to him in ways she never had to anyone else - and likely never would again. Seeing his arm rise to signal the bartender, she numbly shoots back the remainder in her glass, all pretense of slowly sipping her way through it gone out the window as he confirms her worst suspicions. Licking the remainder of the sting of alcohol from her lips, Ru tries to find words. Any.

"We were...together in a way as well. I thought - and she implied -" her voice wavers, and she stubbornly juts her jaw, muscle flexing in her throat as she grits her teeth against the rebellious emotion lingering in her tone. "She wrote to me. I asked her to meet me in the Greatwood, and. Well." She scoffs, and when the bartender sets down their drinks she swallows it all in one go that she can just barely handle. Grins sharply to hide the hurt.

It wavers and falls as his hand finds hers, and Ru barely refrains from turning her hand over to lace their fingers together. To hold onto him like a lifeline. It's not fair when he's barely floating as is. Hotaru does know the weight and power of rumors, but, "You're a good man, Jata. And you were the best Governor this shithole has ever seen. It's sick of them to gossip about a child, but his supposed relation to you isn't what taints him." There is a fire to each word, a bite that scalds and burns away the waters of his flood, refusing to let him paint himself in such sordid colors. It's easier to hold onto that than the hurt. Something familiar and concrete.

Time hasn't let her forget him, and she can read between the lines of what he's saying, and the new wave of alcohol slamming into her has her snorting inelegantly. "Nate does nothing by halves," she utters with a bittersweet fondness, almost a whisper as if it were meant only for herself to hear. If she doesn't like Nate, Hotaru is sure the sentiment is returned thricefold. Turning to meet his steely gaze, Hotaru knows her own expression must show how lost she feels, adrift with this new information. "And still you came back. Foolish man," she strains, trembling lips pulling bravely into a smile, trying to reach for some sort of teasing.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SUNJATA
Oh?” Sunjata prompts out of pure curiosity, unsure of just how far Maeve’s reach had gone. He knew of how much she wished to protect Hotaru, when Sunjata was positive it was the Valkyrie who had set the Slagveld ablaze, a wound dulled over the months of much more love and simultaneous loss. He feels better now, carrying that illusion stone within his pocket, one given to him from his goddess – and it helps not being stuck when it comes to trying to rule an entire region on top of personal squabbles.

Still, it feels like a loss of sorts, and when she tells him yet again he’s a good man, there’s an amused smirk that crosses his face, a snort and a shake of his head as he looks past her out into the rain once more across the way. “Maybe one day it’ll stick.” He comments, over how many times Hotaru could try to convince him that he’s good when he’s essentially done everything to point at the fact he isn’t.

After all, sometimes the road to hell was paved with good intentions. And if there’s one thing Sunjata would budge on his low held opinion of himself, it’s that his intentions had always tried to be good. But he makes mistakes, and that’s what makes him remarkably him. “Oh, her and Nate’s first interaction was quite something.” A shouting match on the doorstep of the house on the cliffs, and gods how Sunjata had gotten an earful on both ends.

As for coming back, his arm remains heavy on her shoulder when his gaze flickers back to her – thinking this moment very much like the first time they’d shared heart to hearts. “I love Torchline. I spent so long looking for her.” He murmurs, a touch softer and a touch more nostalgic. “But there was a point where Torchline didn’t quite love me anymore.” That, and his attempt to not be alone in ruling, in having Nate at his side, the upset from Safrin was far greater. So much greater, in fact, that Sunjata – rather than demote his husband – said to hell with it and left.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Her answering smile is more of a grimace. "Never been lucky in love have I?" she scoffs more than laughs, and swipes a drink of his whiskey that ends with a puckered grimace. This time she's the one to wave down the waitress, who eyes the Valkyrie's petite frame doubtfully before clearly deciding it's not worth the fight and returning with another glass - this time nearly doubled, so she doesn't have to come back. Playing with the glass with her free hand, reluctant to pull the other out from beneath Sunjata's, she avoids his gaze in order to find the strength to give real clarification. "Whatever we had, I cut things off after the fire. I wouldn't involve her, especially once we began planning to take over Halo. She was upset; wrote me letters, trying to convince me otherwise. When I finally settled in the Greatwood, I reached back out - but I wouldn't have if I'd known." Her voice dips low, fingers digging into the glass before she forcefully relaxes and tries to tamp down the swell of emotion.

"Maybe one day," she echoes quietly, watching his profile lit by the grey sky outside. Turning her gaze away when she senses he is going to turn back lest she be caught watching. It's not Hotaru's place to tell him these things anymore, and she rolls her tongue between her teeth with a light pressure as if warning herself to not trip up again.

"All things have their era," she murmurs, gaze soft as it finally rises to meet his. Understanding this more than anything else with how her heart still longs for Halo. "And you'll always have Torchline, whether you lead it or not. There is more than one way to love a place like this." More than one way to love most anything. Turning back to her drink Ru idly spins the glass on its own condensation. "Who knows, you might end up back here in time. The future is nebulous. Right now, it's not what's best for you, and that's okay." And she envies him for that, for the ease with which he can leave and return, the way Torchline would always open her arms for him. Still, he has earned it. Deserves it. She can't really hate him for that.