more damaged than good
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
You don't have to be a hero to save the world
You don't have to be a prodigy to be unique
Sleep on the Ark came and went in rhythmic waves. It had already been late in the night when she retired to a random bunk. It was cleaner and softer than most things she'd slept on in ages, so when the sun rose up she didn't wake right away. She slept until nearly mid-day, in fact, and upon this realization she jolted up out of her slumber.

She washed her face, untangled her hair, and guzzled down some water to nurse the headache that threatened to be a hangover (it had been a long time since she had a single drop of alcohol). Her old clothes were switched for some spares she found lying around... they were perhaps more suited to a man's figure but she didn't mind that. The trademark cloak, torn and ragged as it is, left behind. And as she stepped out from the crew's quarters, she did her best to mask the pain in her leg.

Greeting the Torchline sun for the first time in a long time, she takes several moments to soak it up - like a cat might. Or a tiger. It does her some good, though. Wakes up her mind enough that she can remind herself that she has someone she must go and find. She's months late coming home, after all.

What am I even going to tell him? She worries over that as she makes her way slowly but steadily up the port. She's in such a rush, mind in such a buzz, that she doesn't even notice the ropes and netting that lie {characteristically} on the ground around her as she scolds herself.

'Hey Milo, long time no see'? Ugh...

'Sorry, I got hung up in the desert trying to help Remi find a "pillow" and somehow ended up in the swamps a few weeks later'? Yeah, that sounds believ--
Her thoughts cut short as she loses her balance and goes careening into a pile of crates.

A crate topples over onto her head, spilling its contents and making her out to be some sort of box-headed klutz. The rest crash down around her in such a cacophony that even some nearby Hels take a moment to laugh at her before taking off. Amongst some of the fishermen...

Pushing the box up, she peers down to see a rope snagged around her ankle; the culprit. Before, she might've reacted with nothing but pure anger, swearing and kicking. Now, with a defeated sigh, Boxhead merely slumps down into the mess she made.
It feels like nothing is easy, it'll never be
That's alright, let it out, talk to me
code credits go to Skylark!<3
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MILO

He’s been finding things to keep himself occupied. Things that involved the Ark more times than not, and now that it flew he felt like he had a bit more to figure out – most notably, netting and the like, how to keep the boxes from flying out any portholes or off the deck. It’s different from trying to retrieve something from water than to retrieve it once it’s tumbled down into the void of the abyss below the hull of the Ark, and so he’s made it most of his priority.

Plus, it keeps him busy so his mind doesn’t continue wandering. He hasn’t been as involved in Haulani’s public affairs as much as he once had. Helping out his mother and sister here and there, wishing his brothers a lucky day at sea as they left for their fishing work. And himself? Well, it’s been lonely and quiet and he’s essentially kept to himself unless someone invites him out.

Which hasn’t happened a lot lately.

Today, though, there’s a commotion at the docks. He’d only been gone a little bit, leaving his netting and boxes off to the side from the Ark while he goes and gets more supplies – only to return to snickers and laughter, hels taking off to the sky surrounding an event of sorts that he can’t see through the crowd to notice.

Initially, frustration bubbles in his chest, the young smuggler shoving his way through to make sure someone didn’t have the audacity to steal anything – or maybe to throw off the sear cat that got into his box of things. But he doesn’t find it as he shoves through with the most annoyed look on his face, only to land on Aurelia.

His heartbeat suddenly thunders and his face softens and there’s a few whistles as the crowd starts to disperse and Milo’s every inch the image of awkward as he swallows hard and casts his gaze away from her, lowering himself down to a knee to unhook the rope from around her leg. “Relia.” He says weakly, throat stiff, words awkward and heavy as the single word – her name – slips from it.
there's something tragic, but almost pure
think i could love you, but i'm not sure
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
Perhaps if it weren't for his fiery-red hair, Aurelia might not have even noticed his approach. Half-buried in the mess and her leg hurting, she's not really concerned about who or where but more about what she's going to do. Firstly, about the things that have spilled out; she'll need to pick those up. But secondly, and more importantly, what she's going to do about... "Milo?"

She's shell-shocked at first, not saying much as she watches him kneel down to unwrap the rope. Until his hand brushes over the wound on her leg, and she recoils instinctively, jaw setting as she grimaces. "Careful-!" she hisses through her teeth, even though she reaches out to finish untangling it herself. As the crowd thins around them, she relaxes and looks back up, a thin line of sweat beading on her forehead.

There's probably a million different thoughts and scenarios racing through her head, but the only place she can think to start is: "Mind helping me pick this stuff up?" She offers him an apologetic half-smile, tilting her head and peering at his face.. for a bit longer than she needs to.

Doesn't help that there's a very sour-faced old sailor glaring at them with his arms crossed. Probablyy that guy's stuff she knocked over.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Age: 28 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
MILO

Her voice cuts to him and Milo almost flinches, though she might be able to notice with the stuttered blink he gives her, looking past it and trying to brush past all the awkward feelings within his gut. He reaches forward to try and unwrap her ankle and when she hisses through her teeth, when the pain hits her, he waists no time in letting out a quiet sigh, hands glowing as he moves to heal her ankle. His hand hovers over her despite how she untangles herself, and when they’re done he’s staring at her – waiting, unsure what to say himself just as much as she’s unsure.

She starts off small, though, and Milo nods. “Sure.” He murmurs, helping to pack up the netting and the boxes, looking up and noticing the old sailor glaring at them, and in a slight change of the personality she knows from him, he glares right back at the sailor. “Oy, fuck off Jones!” He snaps at the sailor, glaring at the man enough for him to leave.

His shoulders slump slightly when he packs up box after box of netting, gaze flickering back to Aurelia with still an edge of apprehension hidden within. He has to ask, because he can’t just avoid it. “Where’ve y’been?
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
She waves him off when she spots the glow of his healing power, brow furrowing and eyes hardening. Did he really think she expected him to come to her rescue every time she got hurt? "It's fine," she insists, nonchalant, focused on being convincing. Her gaze softens as she glances back up at his face to see him staring at her. "I just- have stitches," she puffs out a breath of air, "they're still healing but it's fine. Help me with the boxes." She gestures vaguely toward them and slowly, carefully gets back up on her feet, stifling a groan.

'Sure' he says, or barely says. Trying not to let this feel like it's already come undone by the seams, she starts packing things back into the crates. She sorts them by the type of item they are, assuming that's how they had been sorted already. Nets, fishing lines, tools. Each in their own box. As they're in the midst of this, she's caught completely off guard when Milo snaps at the sailor. Jones, apparently is his name, seems a bit stunned himself. After a moment of speechless silence, he waves the two of them off and stalks up the docks toward the beach. Aurelia eyes Milo from the corner of her eye whenever he's not looking at her, her lips turning in a concentrated frown.

She picks up a box of tobacco that had somehow gotten soggy, making a quiet "bleugh" sound as she drops it, falling apart, into its designated crate. "Guess I owe 'Jonesy' some smokes-" she's kneeling down to collect the rest of them when Milo comes right out with it. Demanding the answer they've both been waiting for, really.

Unfortunately, nothing good has magically popped into Aurelia's head in this entire time. "The Wilds," she answers, tossing the last box of tobacco without looking at him. It may not be well-tailored but at least it's the truth. "I got lost out there, trying to help Remi find something the Gods sent him after," she busies herself with stacking up the crates, continuing even if her throat feels more and more constricted, "Some spirits got into my head and the next thing I knew I was waking up from a fever-dream in the swamps, with a festering wound on my leg. It took that a long time to heal... or at least, heal enough for me to make it back here, back to..." She stops as she lowers another crate, looking pointedly at him.
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO

Stitches? The question is held mentally, but physically seen in the way he pinches his brows, the way he moves slightly as he focuses on the boxes she suggests they work on picking up. His hands stop glowing and he acquiesces for it, quiet as he works and tries to keep himself from getting too frustrated too quickly. He’s been bad since she’s been gone, growing more and more into his little shell, coming out rarely when invited out which is becoming less so these days with his sour, bitter moods.

Either way, he snaps at Jones, he notices Aurelia’s flinch, and there’s that deeper, rougher part of him shaped by Torchline and the things that have happened in recent years that make him simply not care. The tinge of regret is felt in the back of his mind but its not something he acts on, not as he focuses on the task at hand.

He glances to the soaked tobacco, rolling a shoulder in a shrug as he moves another box, stacking it on top with the rolling papers that are half wet, stacked and stuck together that he likely doesn’t care about either. And to stack it on top? A crate full of liquor, but for where he’s not sure.

And he has to ask her.

So he listens, busying himself with his hands and everything else, focusing intensely on the task and avoiding looking at her as she avoids looking at him. “I see.” He says, that small part of him regretting having not gone to look for her – but he wasn’t sure it had mattered in the end anyway given that she hadn’t left him a note when she’d left. That he had to hear it from Maeve, which felt more like a bullet to the chest.

Why’d y’tell Maeve t’tell me what y’wanted to say 'fore y'left?” He asks quieter, dropping another box down and hearing the slight shatter of a glass bottle muffled within. And yet again, Milo simply just doesn’t care.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
As she takes pause in the motions of picking things up, as she looks at him with a mixture of emotions in her gaze, she can't help the tension that twists up from her spine. It coils between her shoulder blades like it's ready for an attack. Like an uninvited guest, that gut-wrenching, defensive first instinct. Her eyes drop at the sound of glass breaking. She blinks down at the crate and her teeth come down over her bottom lip, troubling it. She doesn't go with first instincts anymore. At least, not in terms of matters like this.

"I-" she clears her throat, putting her full attention on him, "Everything started happening one after the other. The regional quest for a healing fountain, a... meeting with one of the Greatwood's leaders, trying to build a council from the ground up. Trying to prove that I was.. good enough, smart enough, strong enough," she scoffs at herself for it now, shaking her head and looking away towards the water for a moment. Then back again, to study his face carefully as she goes on, "I wasn't really myself. I became engrossed with what I thought I needed to do.. and then Remi... I felt that I had to prove myself, for so many reasons. I agreed to help him. There wasn't much time, he was ready to go immediately.

"I didn't... I didn't want to face you that day."
She flinches at her own admission, "I know it's selfish, I know," her voice strains as her words hasten and her face flushes, "I just- I didn't want to have to say goodbye to you. I didn't want you to worry and I thought that maybe if I did things quickly enough, I could do everything I needed to and be back before you even..." she stops suddenly, trailing off. Folding her arms over her abdomen, she sighs, "but that didn't work out the way I planned."
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO

There are a lot of things that have happened that Milo simply no longer finds it in him to care about. Before, he might have been more compassionate, more careful, more tidy and put together. But this version of Milo is almost cold in a way that feels like the ice to a fire that Aurelia harbored in her soul since she’d arrived on Torchline’s shores.

So he asks the question, unsure if he can look at her for the answer, but pulling himself up emotionally, telling himself that he has to, and when the explanation is given he works his jaw, a hand rising to run through the fiery halo of red curls around his head. “Y’did change.” He agrees quietly at first, unsure what else to say. She’d become enamored with it, with proving herself, when to him? She never had to prove herself at all.

Her admission on not wanting to face him instead has him ducking his head a bit, shoulders tightening in their tension. “Y’didn’t wanna have t’say goodbye. And then? I hear that I gotta help with th’fountain and yer gone but you’ll come back soon? Then y’don’t come back soon an’ the Ark goes off on a trip and it’s just me, wonderin’ if yer alive or dead out there ‘n…” He trails off, because a lot of it had been that he hadn’t gone to search for her either.

He hadn’t been, because it’s so fucking rare that he ventures out of Torchline. It’s such a daunting task and it still terrifies him even if he knows that he could likely handle it. He’s terrified.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
Her breaths are already getting shallower, labored with feelings that threaten at the rims of her eyes, but she refuses to let her emotions build up to a point that she can't handle them. She doesn't want to shut him out again, doesn't want to shut down or close off like she has before. There's a pause after he tells her what this has all done to him. Her brows furrow and she swallows down.

"I'm sorry," the breathy words billow out past her lips, and her gaze darkens with earnest. After another moment, she inches toward him, drawing slowly closer. "I never meant for things to be like this. I never wanted to put you through this or leave you behind. You have to know that." Of course she hadn't meant to end up with a serious infection, rampaging through the swamps. On deeper sentiments, she had never meant to hurt him but the reality was that she had. She'd hurt him, scared him, let him down. "You remember how upset I was that you wanted to come with the Ark last year? I was so afraid of something happening to you..." She takes another tentative step forward, "I thought that if I told you where I was going and why, you might try to stop me or-or go with me. But I should've told you anyway, and I should've listened to how you felt..."

Gently, she reaches out toward him, hoping that he won't pull away even though she knows that he might. "You mean so much to me, Milo," she looks up at him, her gaze searching and pleading, "I've made mistakes. Too many. I haven't been fair to you. But I know where I'm supposed to be now. It's not queen with Maeve-" she gestures a bit exaggeratedly in the direction of the Courthouse, then the Wilds "-or out there. It's right here. With you, and the Ark, and... fuck it, Jack too I guess," she scoffs a little, trying to break through. But she sobers again quickly, "At the end of the day, you're what kept me going, you're what brought me back."
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO

Her apology is a balm as much as he wants to shake his head to it, to ignore it, to prove that he doesn’t need it. But he can’t. In the same way that he can’t step away from her when she inches toward him. He works his jaw, stares at the docks and the space between the boards where he can see the water moving below. “I know.” Milo agrees quietly, an accented whisper as his brows pinch and he stares even harder at the space between the wooden boards.

I would’ve let y’go. Without me. Y’know how I am out there.” She witnessed it on the Ark trip. How antsy and anxious he got, how he typically didn’t venture far out there if only so he didn’t have to worry and panic about the unknown. Some of those things keep him up at night. But at least she won’t keep him up at night, him imagining all the terrible things that could’ve happened to her.

She reaches out to him and the smuggler stills as much as he can, hands clenching and unclenching into fists at his sides. “Callin’ yerself a queen is fuckin’ dumb.” He mutters, still pissed about that whole ordeal, but he silences himself to lift his gaze to meet her face. He scans her silently for a little while, working his jaw before his shoulders slump in a quiet defeat. “Y’brought me back too. When we met.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
His jawline feathers with tension and she can see it. The way he's trying to be strong. She's been there before, looking so damn hard at the ground, as if it would provide all the answers or make everything go away. She tilts her head to the side, supplication embedded in her expression, trying to subtly coax him into looking back up at her, to pull him up from the the churning waters below the docks.

He reminds her of how he gets out there but she already knew without him having to. He'd always been afraid of venturing from Torchline... and yet she'd seen that change before. "Yeah, I know..." she trails off, "I know. And you know what's fucked up? In spite of what happened, I'm still not afraid of it," she shakes her head, frowning bitterly, wanting to laugh and cry all at once.

Her hands settle along his arms, feeling the shift of his fists as they tighten and release in his frustration. The comment comes from so far out of left field that she's stunned by it, eyes flickering over the shapes of his face as he finally lifts his gaze to look at her again. She softens, comforted by the memory of when they first met, consoled by the way he seems to relax.

"It was stupid," she scoffs under her breath, a beaten and tired sound that he might be able to hear as her hands slide down toward his own. She holds his clenched fists in her palms, thumbs rubbing small, slow circles over his skin. She breathes in deep and meets his gaze, telling him, "You've been here since the beginning, you've stuck with me through so much, and I.. I left you here alone. But I'm not gonna do that to you again. Milo, the only thing I'm afraid of is losing you. It.. it ate me alive, knowing that I couldn't just get back here to you. As soon as I was stable enough, I came back..."
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO

How can’t y’be?” He asks in some amount of disbelief. If it were him? He’d never leave the shores of Torchline again. He’d tell the Ark to go without him, he’d tell his family to go fishing without him. He’s not even sure he’d want to leave the house – the empty one that once Rigby had left and Aurelia hadn’t come home, had been to quiet and simultaneously too loud for him.

And he’d felt so small, so alone, despite having things he could do and places he could go. He just… Didn’t. Didn’t want to. He kept to himself, kept his head down, kept his anger behind his tongue, thrown into his work, trying to make it all make sense.

Her hands on his arms distract him, though, and he finally looks at her face, watching as she takes his idle comment directly to her face. He hated the term Queen. It made it feel… Not like Torchline. Torchline had Governors and Governesses. Not the hierarchy of Queens like in those fantasy books he’d read.

But her agreement huffs out some of his anger, and his clenching fists slow down as her hands lower toward his own, and he’s finally still as he watches her, meets that bright green gaze he’d simultaneously missed yet haunted him.

It cracks his façade, it creates this big gaping hole within him, something that wishes to suck everything of the mask he’s worn ever since she’d left out into nothing. Crumbled into the dust. He struggles with his understanding now that had once come to him so easily. And now? Now it’s just a mix between surprise and sorrow that cuts his brow sharply. One that pinches the red brows together ever so slightly as his nostrils flare and he tears his gaze away from her to look down, away, at anything else but her eyes. “I dunno if I should b’angry ‘r relieved.” He admits quietly, working his jaw slightly before he shakes his head. “I’ve been so, so angry, ‘Relia.” He whispers out.

It wasn’t ever him, and now it was, and now he’s not sure he can change to how he was before. He's not sure if that's what she wants anymore.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
She looks over his face with nothing but care and concern, understanding how he felt about the world beyond his shores. "I was trapped at home for so long, before," before Caido, she means to say, "all I ever wanted was to be free," she admits, and though it's a feeling she can't describe any better, it's one that sticks with her all the same, "until I was sixteen, the only world I knew was underground, no windows, no mountains, no ocean... Sixteen years in the dark." She ducks her head, her voice grown pained, "I don't expect you to understand..." but she wishes that he could.

The anger dissipates from his weary bones and she can feel it through their touch; the way his muscles relax, his chest rising and falling as he huffs. But the release is gone almost as soon as it's there. He breaks their eye contact, telling her he doesn't know how to feel. Her lips purse as she gently lets go of his hands and steps back.

"You're angry?" With no small amount of resolve, she braces herself for whatever might come next. "So be angry." She stares across at him with a firm pinch in her brow, her lips forming a small frown. "Get angry at me. It's me, Milo, I'm the one you're angry at- it's my fault so be angry. Yell at me," she isn't asking but demanding now, "let it out."
Milo Kydd
Smuggler

Change author:
MILO

He doesn’t understand, though he can try. He doesn’t blame her for her adventuring, given her history, but he can blame himself for being too weak to face the unknown as easily as anyone else can. For him? The most he can get away with going anywhere is with the Ark – because he’s surrounded by others that are far more confident than he is out there in the spirit of adventuring. So he only nods, huffing quietly as he deflates, muscles relaxing and his attention focusing between her and everything else, the anger that settles in his chest.

Yeah.” He admits weakly to his admission, red brows furrowing in his own internal frustration and turmoil, before she tells him to yell at her. And he’s not sure he wants to, unsure of just what to say because he doesn’t know whether he wants her to stay or whether he wants to push her away.

She demands it from him, however, and he shakes his head, his lips forming a fine line, exasperated and unsure where to start. “I dunno how t’say what I wanna say, ‘Relia. S’all gonna come out wrong ‘n not what I mean ‘n… Can…” He pauses, shaking his head. “Can we jus’ put a pin ‘n it fer later?