talons sharp as knives
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Arialla

What a nice day for a walk on the beach.

At sunset, Arialla walks up out of the water. She's spent a lot of times in her shifts lately, traveling Caido as a dolphin or eagle, trying to get her head on straight, so to speak. She'd realized that she didn't like who she was, the woman so gnarled and twisted with hate that it flowed from her in every word, every action; that it consumed her. But even once she'd recognized what she'd become, it seemed impossible to change -- or, worse, too late. So she'd simply avoided the question, avoided herself. If she didn't want to be that woman, then she would just be a dolphin instead. Dolphins didn't hate.

But it's time to come back to the real world. Rising out of the water, Arialla pushes her wet hair back and smiles a little, a bit sadly. She can feel herself sinking back into that fugue of loathing and bitterness as if falling into a bog, as if wrapping herself in a shroud. Part of her cringes at the sensation, but part of her welcomes it. Her break has lasted long enough. Now ... she has a war to fight.

please don't take my sunshine away

coding base by Skylark
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:

When I say that it’s impossible to miss Wessex’s mechshift, it isn’t out of hubris; it’s simply because it’s so big compared to most normal animals. And it’s in the sky, so there’s a shadow that’s hard to hide, and a certain metallic sheen that seems to glint under the sun, despite its darkness, despite the way it seems to eat the light. She flies high enough to requiring a peering kind of scrutiny, close enough to the sun to be, perhaps, mistaken for something real, but large enough to be more than a sea-hawk or Hels. With no need to flap her wings to stay aloft, the bird might just be coasting the thermals.

The Wraith’s eyes, however, are watchful and she clocks the person on the beach but doesn’t care to investigate who they are or what they’re doing; so long as they leave her alone, she’ll do the same.

WESSEX

The Wraith
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:

Arialla

A shadow moving across the beach catches Arialla's attention. She looks up, shading her eyes from the setting sun ...

"What is that?" she says aloud. The creature flying above her is huge, and ... metallic? She shifts her eyes into an eagle's for a better view, but getting a closer look at the thing creates more questions than answers. "What is that?"

Arialla's first instinct is to hide, even though the strange giant metal bird doesn't seem interested in her. It strikes her as dangerous -- and as something beyond her ability to fight. Maybe she'll take a rain check to this whole "returning to civilization" thing.

Turning back to the water, she quickly wades out deeper and shifts back to her dolphin form, figuring it's better to take a dive than to hope she can outfly whatever that thing is.

"Bottlenose dolphin" by WIlly Volk is licensed with CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
What… who… same thing to some people these days, really. This shift probably doesn’t advance the Ascended are people too narrative, but hey, you win some you lose some. Hindsight is 20/20. All that jazz.

When Wessex looks down again, the beach is clear - in fact, there isn’t anyone to be seen at all, other than a lone, podless dolphin. There’s a moment of solidarity with the creature as the General thinks that she, too, knows what its like to be podless, before impulse grabs her and she dives. Down, down, down, to the ground, where her wings splay and she lands (albeit still a bit awkwardly). Once there, the Wraith shifts back in to her normal form and sits to peel off her boots, preparing to walk shoe-less in the wet sand.

Apparently this is what Generals do on the occasional day off - or before shit hits the fan.
she's pullin' the trigger
cause it's me and the moon, she says
and i have no trouble with that
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

As the strange creature's shadow faded from the sky, Arialla began to feel a little silly for instantly fleeing. For all she knew, it had possessed no interest in her at all. And hadn't she resolved to rejoin society today? Hard to do that as a dolphin -- or as a coward.

Returning to the beach, Arialla again took human form as the water got shallower and walked up onto the beach -- only to spot Wessex here in the secluded spot she'd chosen.

"You!" Arialla said, and then she let out a harsh laugh at the irony of Wessex, whom she thought of as the enemy, being the first person she'd encountered in seasons.

coding base by Skylark
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
What does one say to something like that? Wessex is surprised to see Arialla walking up the beach behind her, but it’s her exclamation rather than her presence that leaves the demigod wondering how to react. What’s appropriate these days? The woman’s absence had made the Wraith forget the prior vitriol of their last encounter. However, even that comes flying back and so Wessex’s mouth twists into something mocking and sarcastic and she simply says, “Me.” Purposefully revealing the tips of her fangs, the Wraith continues to look at her with an expectant, slightly raised brow, perhaps purposefully staying there to see if the kitten truly has any claws.
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla isn't sure how she expected Wessex to reply -- indeed, what does someone say to a single pronoun shouted like an accusation? But Wessex's response certainly doesn't satisfy Arialla. For a moment Arialla wavers, teetering on the brink of her old hatred. The Arialla who first arrived in Caido would have been civil, if somewhat awkward; she would have let Wessex strike first, verbally or physically, if the encounter was to go poorly at all. But Arialla isn't that woman anymore. Since then, she's made herself into a weapon, and Wessex is her target.

That grandiose idea aside, though, Arialla knows her chances of surviving a fight with Wessex are not good. There's no one here to intervene, no one to save her; even Safrin's stars have not come out yet. Shouting at Wessex in the marketplace, surrounded by witnesses, is one thing; antagonizing her alone is another. Arialla's willing to die, but not without a purpose. If the Ascended kill her, let it be in public, a testament to their depravity, not a quiet erasure on an isolated beach.

Perhaps Arialla should simply leave. But no, there is something she wants from Wessex: information. It is too great a coincidence that Arialla should spot some weird metal thing in the sky and then encounter the Wraith, servant of the goddess of weird metal things. "Did you see that thing in the sky? What was it?" Arialla's tone is not quite accusatory, but certainly demanding.

coding base by Skylark
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
Here’s where Wessex has to make a decision: how to fuck with Arialla, and to what degree.

She could go the feigned innocence route: Hmmm, oh what? No, I didn’t. Or she could go with the Yeah, crazy, what was that? route. Then there’s always the full on display of powers, either turning into what Arialla saw, or, or -

“What’s the matter? You didn’t like it? I thought you liked eagles, Arialla?” After all, hadn’t the girl shifted into one at their last encounter. Tilting her head in a slightly confused slash predatory manner, she lifts one hand and makes a gesture (purely for show) and summons a bird back. It seems to appear out of nowhere about thirty feet away and then swoops down and hovers over the two of them. Definitely not within reach, but close enough that the Outlander can easily see that it’s not a flesh-and-blood eagle.
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla's eyes widen, and she takes an automatic step back as the Wraith demonstrates her powers. Oh, that's not good. Wessex now has steel eagles at her command? And here Arialla had thought she didn't have to worry about the Ascended when she was in eagle form.

Still, she tries to keep her cool, if not very successfully. Looking at Wessex's construct with what she hopes will come across as contempt, Arialla says, "So not even the skies are clear of your abominations. Is there nowhere you won't spoil?"

Next Wessex is going to tell Arialla that she's got some kind of aquatic shift, and then she really will be inescapable.

coding base by Skylark
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
Oh, Arialla is quite successful in her attempt at contempt. Great for the Attuned and her ability to keep her cool, but also not so great, as contempt has lately become one of Wessex’s triggers. She’s so fucking sick of it. Sick of her family being treated as less-than-human, sick of having to warn the newbies about a thousand things, sick of the mad race against time, the surprises, constantly being on her toes, and most of all, sick of the the word ABOMINATION.

The General usually is already devoid of extraneous movements, but after Arialla asks her question, she becomes statue-level still. Until she snarls, saying with a low, threatening voice. “Call me an abomination one more time, I fucking dare you.”

Because, of course, it’s her shift hovering above them. Something utterly unique to the Ascended demigod and that kind of insult can no longer be brushed off.
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla doesn't see the warning signs. If she did, maybe she would back down; she doesn't want to die, after all -- at least, not on this beach. But she's too distracted by the bird-thing in the air to take note of Wessex's body language, of the Wraith's tone.

"Well, what else am I meant to call that thing?" Arialla gestures to the hovering creature. She's barely even looking at Wessex. "It's a blight on the world around it. Just like you are."

Now Arialla looks down at Wessex, and her eyes shift as she starts to realize her mistake -- her mistakes. Coming back to the beach was a mistake, offering Wessex any more than a cold shoulder was a mistake, and continuing to insult her shift was most definitely a mistake.

Arialla could apologize, of course. But she's hated too long and too hard for sorry to fall easily from her tongue -- and who knows if it would even placate the Wraith?

coding base by Skylark
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
The summoned minokawa emits a defiant scree while its puppeteer clenches her fists involuntarily and triggers her knuckle talons. You know when the villain in every superhero movie has to have a show of strength when the hero realizes they’ve made a ‘critical’ mistake about halfway through their first or second fight? This is kinda that. Except there will be penultimate fight for Arialla after this.

Something in Wessex snaps and she grins - a twisted, nasty, dark little curling of her lips. See, she’s felt so powerless in most of her doings. But here she knows she’s stronger. “Then maybe you shouldn’t have to deal with me any more,” the Wraith growl-murmurs, not caring if Arialla hears the would-be threat or not.  

The bird turns its impossibly black eyes on the redheaded woman gesturing up at it and a razor sharp ‘feather’ zips towards the Attuned’s knees - to hit, to scare, to bully? A little villainous foreplay?
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla

Arialla's self-preservation instincts fail her today, badly. She doesn't hear the implicit threat in Wessex's voice, or, if some part of her does pick up on it, she chooses to ignore it. With a jagged-edged smile, Arialla says, "That's the dream."

But Arialla can hardly miss the hostile intent in that razor-sharp feather. She jumps aside, or tries to; the feather grazes her bare calf on its way past. Stumbling in the sand, Arialla glances up at Wessex with fear, yes, but also anger. She's not used to living in a world where her words and hostility have actual consequences. "What was that for? You just attack people you don't like now?"

coding base by Skylark
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
the wraith
Like any predator, Wessex hones in on that flicker of fear. “Isn’t that what abominations do? she bites back, chomping savagely on the words. She doesn’t quite hiss and bare her fangs at the Attuned, but there is a mocking curl to her lip and the flash of pearly white canines. She’d heard the sermon before - they’re animals, no - machines. Less than the fully living, so why should she be held to the same standards as Arialla? "I'm a cold-blooded - no, bloodless machine."

But there’s no fun in just decapitating her, and Wessex is discovering that she likes this kind of slow burn. She likes that she’s scaring the Outlander. She likes that she can back her in to a proverbial corner. So, calling on a rarely-used power, the Wraith employs her most insidious gift. Hurling nightmares at Arialla, Wessex finds that with all the shit she’s fighting, sometimes she just wants to watch her enemies burn. Or in this case, cower.

---------------

Wessex has used -

Magic: Night Terror | Can create nightmare-like illusions in the mind of one character within 5 ft which have the ability to petrify them in place. Illusions are only visible to that character. (A 30 END difference is an automatic success: characters cannot move or speak for one round during a PQ+/KQ, or 30 seconds) Difference of 20 is accompanied by extreme fear and associated reactions. Difference of 10 or below is accompanied by increased heartrate and anxiety-spikes.)