payment in due time
Juniper
Anju Rao
Captain

Age: 31 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 10 - Int:
RIYA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
you were born a leader - no throne or crown needed
Though her mission in awakening Delphia is complete, Anju finds herself returning to the Greatwood after restocking supplies in Stormbreak. Admittedly the forest has grown on her, and she does miss its beauty now that winter has passed, but first and foremost is the notice board missive she’d seen. Whatever she can provide to aid the Fae in their mission against the Ascended - or even simply to thank them for allowing her to wander their woods for a season - Anju intends to supply it.

As such she asks around for the appropriate place to find the writer of the missive, which leads her to the doorstep of the Treehouse at high noon when she feels it is most likely to be occupied. Knocking, she shoos Riya idly off the bannister, only half paying attention but still desiring to hold some manner of respectful appearance when they are greeted.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
Luckily, Anju catches Juniper in the Treehouse, squinting at manifests and inventories to work out how much of the Fae's food supply is left after Deepfrost, and whether she needs to encourage her people to trade with other regions for more. The knock breaks into Juniper's thoughts; she tucks her papers away, a bit glad to give up that task for now, and goes to answer the door.

"Hello?" Juniper says, automatically smiling up at the stranger on the doorstep. (Having to look up at outsiders no longer gives Juniper the urge to spread her wings and hover up to their eye level ... mostly.) "Do you ... ?"

Juniper trails off as she notices the dragon accompanying her guest. She knows that means her guest is either a Dragoon or some special case who's earned a dragon's companionship on her own. The first option seems more likely, so Juniper asks, "Are you from Stormbreak?"
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Anju Rao
Captain

Age: 31 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Luck seems to follow Anju whenever she is within the borders of the Greatwood, which is both bewildering and greatly appreciated. She certainly isn't expecting for one of the Guardians to be present despite her attempts at timing her visit correctly, and was expecting the writer of the correspondence she'd seen even less. Still, as she looks down at the shorter woman, Anju can't help the relief of it all going right - for now.

As Juniper's gaze slides sideways to land on Riya, Anju sighs deeply, turning to also watch as the dragon swandives off the banister in an aggravating show of see how I'm listening to your orders Anju? Delightful. "Yes, I am Anju and this is my sister Riya. I have come seeking the Amberwing - is that you?" The woman's title precedes her far more than the name Anju had only seen once - at the bottom of the missive that brought her here.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
JUNIPER
"Yes," Juniper answers. "I am Juniper Dubois, the Amberwing."

It's one of the first times she's introduced herself with her new title -- most Fae already had an idea of who she was before she became a Guardian, and when she does meet strangers, she usually just uses her name. It feels odd to be referred to by her title alone.

"Why don't you come in?" Juniper adds, stepping back so that Anju can enter the treehouse. Inside, the main room is simple, with a few comfortable chairs scattered around the room, two of them pulled together in the center. Juniper had been sitting at the back -- her papers remain scattered across a table there -- but she leads Anju to the chairs in the center instead. "Are you on official business from Stormbreak?"

From the Order, Juniper really means -- as far as she understands, the Order rules Stormbreak, making the two concepts interchangeable. And Juniper's feelings about the Order are ... not the friendliest. But she doesn't let any of that doubt enter her conversation with Anju, not yet.

table by Skylark
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
It seems she truly is lucky today, and though the Fae may be unused to presenting herself so formally, any sign of it flies over Anju’s head. She is not the most socially or emotionally attuned woman, if the militaristic stance of her body is not sign enough of her stoicism. The offer inside is accepted with a short nod of her head, and a snap of her fingers that beckons Riya to her side - unnecessary usually with how they are linked to one another, but it is a command for the childlike creature to behave herself in the treehouse as they enter.

Riya stretches out elegantly at the foot of the chair Anju chooses, wings tucked and bright eyes half-lidded but unblinking as they focus on Juniper. Anju sits, heels flat to the floor and arms awkwardly aligned with her thighs, unused to being in such diplomatic arrangements. “No. I have been in the Greatwood for a season on Ludo’s instructions, but I saw your missive on the notice board in town and wanted to offer my assistance if it was needed.” She is no spokesman of Stormbreak, and certainly not an Order member.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
"Oh." Juniper is a little surprised -- but certainly not disappointed -- to hear Anju mention her notice board quest. While Juniper hoped people would seek her out, it seemed like slow going so far. Smiling, Juniper says, "I would be very grateful for your assistance. You are ... Accepted, correct?"

Juniper once heard something about dragons preferring Accepted as companions, though the existence of Wessex's companion dragon did contradict that.

"You're here on a task from Ludo?" Juniper adds, curious, as she sits down next to Anju. "Do you mind if I ask what it is? Oh, and I can prepare tea if you'd like some."

Since she didn't expect visitors in the treehouse, Juniper didn't have refreshments ready, but she always wished to offer some to a guest -- especially a guest whom she could see wasn't completely at ease in the current setting.

table by Skylark
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Anju, all business, nods succinctly at the question. “Yes, I am. Have you already obtained a sample?” If so she would be happy to get out of the Fae’s hair so to speak. Though it seems Juniper is far more socially aware than the Dragoon. Even Anju’s discomfort with general socialization stands no chance against the Amberwing’s friendliness, melting slightly from her militaristic form to relax slightly when it’s clear they will spend more than a moment of time together.

“Tea would be nice. Thank you.” Still a bit stilted, but genuine in her gratitude. “Ludo tasked me with getting to know the Greatwood, but specifically I was called to awaken Mort’s daughter, Delphia. She was in an enchanted slumber in Ludo’s Woods, and needed to be called upon for the coming times I assume.” Whether it’s her personality or her status as a soldier, Anju is not the type to question the deeper reasons behind the task she had been set.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
"I've obtained one sample from an Accepted, but I need two," Juniper explains. "Hair or nail clippings would work well -- nothing complicated. Let me get an envelope."

Juniper goes to where she was working and finds an envelope among the papers. It's already occupied, but that's all right; she takes out the letter within and sets it on the table, then returns to Anju.

"I appreciate this, as does the Greatwood as a whole," Juniper adds, holding out the envelope to Anju. "If there's anything we can do for you in return, just let me know."

As Anju describes her mission, Juniper follows her words with interest, nodding. "I've met Delphia a couple times, though I don't really know her." Juniper falls awkwardly silent: she wants to say something about how it'll be good to have Delphia on their side, but her Fae honesty won't let her, not when she's thinking of how much she hates the conflict to come -- and the idea of wiping out the Ascended. Instead Juniper says, "How did it go? I hope the woods didn't make things too difficult for you."

table by Skylark
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
At least it isn't something more daunting, such as a finger or a tooth. Anju awaits Juniper's return with the envelope, readjusting her figure into something more welcoming when Riya thwaps her on the leg with her fanned tail. Nimble, sword-calloused fingers gently relieve the envelope from the Amberwing's clutches. Then she summarily unsheathes her dagger from her hip, and without a care for which small clump of hair she grabs, she lops off an inch or so and places the dark, silky tresses into the envelope. Handing it back with an awkward but well-meaning smile.

"No, no need for debt. I am happy to help - it is an honor to ensure you can be safe in your own home someday." Anju isn't sure what she would even ask for or need. She has never been a woman with many needs. If Stormbreak requires anything, Anju wouldn't even be told, so she's happy to wave away the expectation.

Humming contemplatively, Anju slides her hair back over her shoulder. "It was the first I've met her as well. The woods are amazing in their powers, truly, but overall did not give us much trouble. It helps that Riya can provide an eye from above." The dragon churrs proudly, stretching like a pleased fat cat at her feet, and Anju smiles - small, fleeting, but indulgent. "Now I have but one more task to complete. I had asked Ludo for guidance, for a way to help. Admittedly, I'm not sure whether to expect a test or a game when I return." Fondness still clings, but now for the deity instead of the dragon.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
"Thank you," Juniper says, sincerely, taking the envelope from Anju and setting it aside. "I truly appreciate your willingness to help."

Juniper nods as Anju speaks of her quest, smiling at Riya -- and smiling, too, at the look on Anju's face as she looks at Riya, at the visible bond between woman and dragon. "What is your remaining task? Or do you just need to return to Ludo now?"

Another nod, but the smile fades from Juniper's face as she contemplates the concept of guidance. It's something she could certainly use, but that she hasn't felt able to ask the gods for in some time. After all, it is the gods themselves who are causing Juniper so much turmoil. "What answer do you hope Ludo will give?"

table by Skylark
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
Anju's smile thaws that little bit more, less stilted and more appealing on a face that would be otherwise stunning were it not for her awkward stoicism. "You're welcome. When I read your message, a little bit of hair seemed a small price to pay - it grows back, after all. Other things are not so readily replaced." Like the Mathair. How long had it taken the Fae to find and return the deity to its home?

"I am to visit and inspect the Spire in the Hollowed Grounds," she shares freely, not one for manipulations and lies. A frown plays on her lips to replace the smile, which had been present for too short a time for its rarity. "I am admittedly not looking forward to visiting it - or the Grounds in general." But she will do as she must. Whatever Ludo asks of her, she will accomplish, no matter the risk.

Sighing softly, Anju shrugs a shoulder slightly, chagrined expression edged with sheepishness. "I don't know. I am no major player in this war - I'm merely a soldier. However, Ludo is older than a mind like mine could ever conceive. Surely it will have advice for me, even if it is not something useful in terms of the war." For surely others far higher in the chain of command than Anju have already achieved that.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper nods solemnly, thinking of all the things at stake in the coming war -- the lives of her fellow Fae, the health of her home. And the well-being of all of Caido. The Mathair hangs in her mind as well; even if the goddess had returned eventually, the destruction of her great tree had scarred the hearts of the Fae. "True. Some things are far more difficult to restore ... If they can be restored at all."

Hearing of Anju's task, Juniper gives a little grimace. "I wouldn't be looking forward to it either." After all, the Grounds are effectively hostile territory now -- and even without that consideration, Juniper didn't think they were a very pleasant place. "I wish you a safe trip." It's probably best if Anju avoids running into any Ascended.

And another nod, though a rather reflective one. Juniper is a major player in this war, or at least has the potential to be, if she chooses. Part of her still would prefer to just run off into the Wilds, but she can't be that cowardly. "I hope Ludo's wisdom works out well for you." Juniper rather wishes she could defer to a god's advice ... but she doubts any god can comfort her conscience.

table by Skylark
Anju Rao
Captain

Change author:
"Even if they cannot be restored, Vi's creations are persistent. It may scar, but everything heals eventually." Her smile is small but sincere, aiming for comforting. It feels like both the right and wrong thing to do. What has Stormbreak lost in all of this? (Cian, in time, but she has no inkling of that) The Fae have lost so much more. It's why Anju is happy to do this small thing for Juniper. What is one lock of hair compared to years of suffering at the hands of the Ascended? Anju is happy to sacrifice the uniformity of her hairstyle to balance the scales even the smallest bit with all the Fae have been forced to sacrifice.

The woman's well-wishes encourage the continuance of her smile. Not all of the Fae are as pleased with her presence, nor as kind, but Anju has never been bothered by that. Like water off a duck's back. It doesn't mean Juniper's warmth isn't appreciated. Anju rises, nudging Riya in the belly gently with her toe to rouse the sleepy dragon, who yawns and stretches her wings leisurely. "Thank you for your time, Guardian. I will not take much more of it."

But as she readjusts her sword, Anju takes a moment to place a hesitant hand on Juniper's shoulder, sisterly. "I cannot force my own beliefs on you, but perhaps the advice you need for yourself is closer to home than you think." The Mathair, perhaps? A deity that holds more heart and closeness to the Fae. Dipping her head respectfully, Anju holds the door for Riya first, and heads out into the Greatwood to her next goal.

- FIN