Mini Event Offense or Defense
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Morgan
Snakes are biting at my heels
The worries that refuse to let us go
The Deepfrost and Flowerbirth had passed by mostly uneventfully, Halo continuing in it's usual business of surviving in the unsurvivable climate with the usual bravery Morgan expected of it. She had been busy with politics, as little as she cared for them: speaking to those in the Citadel that had faith either way, trying to assuage fears of the coming war (though her own fears were not gone). There had been little time to even think of anything else.

Now though, as time continued to tick on, she knew they had to take some kind of action. The Citadel was already well-defended; with it's high walls and unwelcome surroundings, it was a fortress. But there were flaws within it, and a lack of attack power for anything outwards. If they truly were to stay neutral, which Morgan dared to hope they might, they would need to reach out, ironically, for divine help.

So she stood in the councilhall, Neron and Sah with her, to see what those that gathered would say. "Please, sit. Once everyone is here, we will begin."

--
Please post your character arriving before we get into the discussion.
I've been kicking them away
Been hoping not to let them take control
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3345
yet my blood renders me a King
Sah stood beside Morgan and Neron as he waited both eagerly and restlessly. When he heard that Morgan wishes to speak with the citizens and discuss war plans with them, he'd been relieved. Sah had been considering asking the Warden to call such a meeting and he was pleased that she'd beat him to the punch.

Sah hoped that Halo would finally come to a decision today. As to where they stood in the war and how they wished to approach it. He personally wished for Halo to declare for the Old Gods, as neutrality would likely fail. Beyond that though he believed that they should focus on fixing the holes in their defenses before anything else. Individual training could boost offensive but boosting the defense of the Citadel required greater effort. The Abandoned was particularly worried about aerial attacks. The recent coup had shown that Halo had no defense against such things. He was glad that they'd decided to address that issue first.

Sah greeted the people as they arrived with a small smile, "It's good to see you all, thank you for coming. We'll begin shortly."

Sah stands next to Morgan and Neron and greets people as they arrive.
Sah
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
Neron
i love you as
certain dark things are to be loved
Neron, of course, is already sitting as he waits for the rest of the citizens to file in. As Sah appears he offers his fellow councilman a respectful nod and a wave of the hand; since the incident with the Longnight monster, the Abandoned had gone up in Neron's estimation. Whether the feeling is reciprocated, he neither knows nor cares. Still, at times like this it is always best to present a united front.

He's got plenty of plans for the coming war, but Morgan alone is usually the ear he bends to hear them. Launceleyns, after all, are former spies, and Neron is still learning to trust others with his thoughts. (And his feelings are another matter entirely). So for now, he merely nudges a couple of wine glasses towards Morgan and Sah, lifting the bottle to offer to pour them a tipple.
in secret
between the shadow and the soul
Shaye Alexander
Furrier

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 0 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Shaye

Shaye arrives at the hall dressed in typical Halovian fur garments, her red hair undone in waves, and her expression neutral as she walks up to the front doors. If she is uncertain, she doesn't show it except for the way she crosses her arms over her chest.

Normally, it was someone else in her direct family that at least showed their faces at these things. But her father had passed, her remaining brother had become a recluse, and her mother was too worn down (not that she'd ever admit it). It was up to Shaye to represent her family and her people now, now being more important than ever.

So she straightens up as she enters the seating area, taking a look around and noting who is here and, perhaps, who isn't. "A lot of hunters are out setting trails, now that the weather is a bit more forgiving," she remarks to nobody in particular as she takes a seat.
Lost in a labyrinth and left with no way out
I built this hall of mirrors all myself
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
KIADA
burn it into my collar, hollowed onto your wrist
She’s a bit late, but she slinks in through the back, taking a seat by herself, gaze skating across the council and those that have gathered. She brushes a bit of snow off her shoulders and dark hair, before she hears Shaye’s response — a woman she doesn’t know yet, but can only offer a small nod of understanding regardless.

Did she plan to be the middleman to them?

Meanwhile, Kiada doesn’t have much input herself, having mostly squirreled herself away at home and the Kraai, finding ways to fill her sleepless days. Eventually, though, her gaze dances between Morgan, Sah, and Neron, waiting.
heaven knows i don't follow, but i believe in this
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Morgan
People slowly filed in and sat, looking forward to the council before them. Morgan drew in a breath and slowly let it out again, sending her nerves out with it. Once the stream of newcomers had stopped, she stood and looked around the room to address the townspeople. "Thank you all for coming. I know some of our number are busy out in the mountains, as some always will be. Whenever they return, if they have concerns about what is discussed here today, let them know they are free to speak to me privately. My office is always open."

As it turned out the RQ had already been chosen and Ryan was a forgetful dumbass There was much to discuss, with so many things on the horizon. "We are here to take the people's opinion on several matters. Halo's neutrality when it comes to the matter of the Gods, my own Wardenship - I have always maintained that I would only lead as long as the people wanted me to. What we shall do in the war, should it happen, and anything else you would like to discuss." Morgan swept a hand in a gesture over the gathered crowd.

"If anyone has something to say, please, begin. Remember, we are all children of Halo here and need not grow angry with each other in these discussions."
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah nodded as Morgan spoke, feeling rather relaxed given the open-air nature of the meeting. He was glad that they were addressing some of these issues as he himself had had concerned. As such he cleared his throat and brought up his largest concern, "I'll be honest. I personally don't think that neutrality can carry us through the war."

The Outlander sighed, feeling a bit like the devil's advocate as the saying went. "I know I'm an Outlander so my experience with wars involving Gods might not be the most accurate regarding Caido." Sah eyed the people as he spoke, observing their reactions. "But in my experience, those that strove to remain neutral ran into major issues when the wars peaked. When tensions are at their highest, those that didn't belong to a side were viewed with suspicion and sometimes aggression from those who did." This part was a bit grim, but he wanted Halo's people to truly consider all of their options. "It led to usually two outcomes. Either they were viewed as an enemy to both sides and were thus eliminated, or they were separated from any and all aid during and after the war."

Sah paused before continuing, "I think we need to truly consider our options. Whether we choose to side with one of the Gods or be neutral. Whichever we choose, I think we need to prepare for the worst possible consequences just to be safe. If that means preparing for the other side's Gods to attack, or fully isolating Halo from the outside so as to remain neutral. I want you all to consider it seriously. This is your choice to make, not mine alone, or even just the council's. All of us have equal say in this."

Sah fell silent, giving others room to speak. He hoped the people would consider his words and choose a path for Halo only after truly considering the consequences of whichever choice it was. There were pros and cons to all of it, and he knew people had different priorities. But if they at least thought through their options first, Halo had a chance because it's people would truly be prepared to face the possible consequences.
Sah
Shaye Alexander
Furrier

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Shaye

Shaye remains silent as talk begins, and it would seem they're going to waste no time in pleasantries or introductions, instead jumping straight into the heart of things. But as things unravel and opinions are spoken (mostly on the part of Sah), she finds that she feels calmer than she thought she would.

She can understand Sah's concerns, the roundabout way he wants to make a call to arms, to call for a clearcut decision. To have Halo make their stance ever-clearer. She's not sure if she agrees or not, not just yet at least. Once he's finished his piece, she feels moved to speak, herself.

The chair moves out from under her with loud shift, which negates any need to draw attention to herself. So as she stands, she straightens out her coat and lifts her chin. Having grown up in a large family-Clan, speaking in front of an audience is no hindrance to her here. Especially because she holds genuine care for all of Halo's citizens. All of them. "Hello, everyone," she addresses the room, letting her gaze sweep across the myriad of faces present, "for those of you who don't know me, my name is Shaye Alexander, though perhaps some of you know me better as Shaye Flynn. While I'm here to speak on behalf of my family today, I also speak with concern for all of Halo's people. I don't know of anyone that is unhappy with your leadership, Morgan, but I do not see fault in you that I don't see in anyone else here..." Perhaps an olive branch extended, but for now she doesn't think uprooting leadership is going to do Halo any favors, so really it's more of an attempt to squash that whole suggestion.

"In light of what this gentleman has said, I do pose a sort of... question - for all of you," she pauses for a moment, then continues, "if we are to remain a neutral region, there will be no lack of complications. For instance..." her tone is careful, hoping not to incite anger or rile anyone, "will our Ascended citizens continue with neutrality when the war begins? If I'm not mistaken, the Voice summoned all Ascended to fight in LongNight. Now, I have no ill will toward them. I do not see race or sides when I look at all of you, I see people," and her gaze holds no deceit as she glances toward Morgan and Neron, "But... a concern I think we should all consider is that something like that may happen again. The Ascended, as we all know, are far more at risk than any of us - should they lose the war. I find it.. hard to believe they would not fight for their lives when the time comes. I know that I certainly would, and I couldn't blame anyone for that."

"Now, I don't think that a single individual's decisions should reflect on all of Halo. But what happens when half of our ranks are gone because they've decided to or are forced to fight after all?"

And she isn't here to make her own conclusions or assertions, it's posed just as she intended; a question, or a topic of discussion, since this is meant to be an open forum.
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
KIADA
Everyone settles and Kiada’s iceberg eyes are glued to each person speaking when their turns come and go. Honestly, she doesn’t know it will go – to choose to remain neutral, just how neutral it made them, which things the region would do that might seem like they’re favoring one side over another. But she’d never really been the one to make those decisions. She had been born to be a warrior, a soldier, and that is what she died as. This version of her? It’s purely survival now.

Probably because it feels so threatened just to live.

Surprise does arch a brow when the unknown woman, Shaye, speaks. And she brings up a fair amount of points that Kiada can’t help but to talk on, not wanting anything to be misconstrued. She thinks on the fact that Sah doesn’t imagine that neutrality will carry Halo through the war, but Kiada also doesn’t imagine that Halo would make a full stance on the New Gods without pissing off the Old Gods followers, and choosing the Old Gods would certainly be stabbing their Ascended population and allies in the back, too.

So it’s complicated, but she can at least put some things to rest.

She casts a glance at Neron before she stands to address the group. “Hey.” She begins, taking a breath she doesn’t need – imagining it makes her seem a bit more human, and she’s partial to preferring to act as much like her old self as she could. “I’m Kiada. I lived here for a time before I… Died. Rescuing Tanau from the sickness that infected many of us.” She pushes past this in a breeze. “I wanted to make things clear on the whole summoning the Ascended during LongNight. We were summoned because we had taken a vote with our goddess on whether we wanted to fight the monsters or choose to keep them roaming the Grounds every year and save ourselves. We chose to fight them. And while I hadn’t realized the circumstances – given I was attuned and then dead for a time – rightfully, I was upset about having to be summoned. But it was explained to me that it was a choice.” And a choice she still thinks was right, even if that monster had crossed over the portal to Halo. Sah, Neron, and herself had made sure to kill it.

All of us who Ascended chose to do it. My mother chose to Ascend for her own safety.” A glance given toward Neron, because Rexanna had also been an Abandoned Ascended hybrid, and as far as she can remember the two of them were what could be considered friends. “And I was offered a choice to come back to life. I could have denied it and I didn’t. I wanted to come back here to be with all of you and live my life again. But with war approaching, that life is in danger too. For all of us, not just me, not just the Ascended. I see my friends and my family in all of you, in a land that I love.

And she’s sorry to say it when she spins the conversation back to Sah’s suggestion, a small apologetic glance given to Morgan, because she doesn’t want to start shit, but she has to ask anyway. Her attention flickers to Sah, who she’d fought beside and borrowed magic from during the LongNight attack. “So if we don’t remain neutral, which gods would you suggest we side with?” A heartbeat of a pause before she continues. “Because if you’re choosing the Old Gods, you’re losing a portion of your people anyway, Advisor. And it needs to be taken into account for our preparation for the war, regardless of what we choose.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
Neron
i love you as
certain dark things are to be loved
Neron sips at his wine and watches as the rest of the people file in, as they make their questions and suggestions and mull over the inevitable horror on the horizon. And he doesn't really have much to add, which may be surprising to some who know him, less so to others. When he does speak - on the heels of Kiada's words and with a small smile granted in her direction - the Hailstorm doesn't bother to introduce himself or even to stand, though his voice carries well enough.

"I assumed neutrality meant accepting all gods, rather than none at all," he says softly. "As Kiada has said, we Ascended made a choice - but in making it, that also eliminated some of our other options. We cannot simply choose to turn our backs on the Voice now. We depend on her for our survival," he points out. "So if we are neutral, I would say that means we welcome everyone."
in secret
between the shadow and the soul
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan
Morgan had always known that choosing neutrality would lead to difficult conversations; it was not an easy path that Halo walked now. For a while she watched the discussion, nodding or tilting her head in thought at some parts, wanting to see what the opinions of those that lived under her Wardenship were. After Neron spoke (in a surprisingly short amount of time), she began to try and reflect on what had been said.

"The conundrum I am faced with is this: no matter which Gods I 'side' with in this war, I will have to remove a significant number of the Citadel's citizens. I do not want to do that - the people that have helped to build and upkeep this place should be able to reap the benefits of it. I am very proud of Halo and I would not spurn those that helped make it what it is." It would never sit right with her to make anyone leave the gates because of the God they worshipped. "However, those of you who say neutrality is difficult are correct."

After casting a glance around the room, she continued: "I do believe though that it is both difficult and the right thing to do. As Neron says, we would be a place that welcomes everyone and provides that assistance on the agreement that within our walls, no fighting takes place. No, we have no guarantee that anyone will honour that agreement, but we will already be facing ill will from some if we chose a side. I believe the Citadel can take it, especially with the benefits we have received from Frey." Morgan sighed. "And if the Ascended do lose the war, we will try to provide for them a shelter here...if any remain." She looked to Neron, for a second, but could not hold her eyes up too long. "I believe if we come together and are strong as one, we can uphold the dream of neutrality. We can fight for Halo and not fight each other."
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah listened as the people of Halo spoke. There were great points being made all around, and once it grew quiet for a moment, he spoke. Glancing at Morgan and Neron he shook his head sadly, "I truly don't think neutrality will work. Choosing all gods might work for the beginning but when things get worse? When people across Caido begin to die in the war and grief and anger cloud the minds of all involved? It will fail and Halo will be forced into the fray."

Sah ran a hand through his hair, sighing as he continued. "Choosing all gods is the same as choosing none. The only difference is that if you choose all, there will be expectations. Both sides will expect Halo's cooperation at some point, and we don't have the means to deny at the moment. Aiding one side in any way will anger the other.” That was the nature of war in his experience. Those who were neutral fell first when things took a turn for the worst. Unless they could back up their stance, which Halo currently didn’t have the power to do.

Pausing he continued, “The way I see it, choosing neutrality now only means we'll be backed into a corner and forced to choose a side later. If we choose a side now, we have ensured aid and the trust of at least some.” The Abandoned grimaced, “And I hate it, but Morgan is right that it’ll isolate half of our population. But I don’t see any other way to protect Halo when our neutrality falls apart.”

As for Kiada’s question, Sah eyed the woman with a furrowed brow. When he spoke, his voice was tense, filled with his stress for the coming war. “When I was first asked to join the council, I made my inclination for the Old clear. I never meant to deceive any in that regard. Halo has a long history with the Old. We're flanked by the Wilds and our closes neighbor is Torchline. They've declared themselves for Safrin.  If we ally ourselves with them? Halo will be defended from all sides, with aid nearby. I hate this war and all it implies, but strategically speaking, choosing the Old gods is the most logical. Even acknowledging my own bias.” He truly despised this war. There were serious moral issues with both sides but choosing none or all would destroy Halo in his eyes.

But one thing needed to be made clear above all else. Sah’s voice grew serious in its sincerity as he regarded the people of Halo, “I swear to you, that I will not attempt to force Halo to conform to my view. Not like how others have. I hope you all know that.” He meant every word and he hoped the people of Halo could hear it.  It was force that had made Noah and Hotaru fail. Halo’s people should never be forced to conform, not by their own people.
Sah
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
Her gaze drifts to Neron when he speaks up next and she takes her seat shortly after, watching and listening to see just where the ball would drop. Neutrality is difficult, yes, but Kiada – having been faced with wars before that didn’t have clear cut sides, where the bad always won, she’s inexperienced in this regard. Granted… She had chosen the wrong side before, only to see the other side of it where it had only been misunderstood. And while the ends didn’t justify the means, she could understand to an extent what someone would do when faced with no other choice.

Her gaze flickers to Morgan now, nodding in understanding that Frey had helped with Halo quite often – anything Kiada knew of Frey was simply the fact that they were far less likely to judge the Ascended. They weren’t Ludo, after all.

Kiada can’t help the way her lips tighten when Morgan suggests a shelter for any remaining Ascended and she can already feel the frustration building in her veins, sparking in her sensors. It’s a low beating thrum that only grows louder when Sah speaks. “Your own bias aside, you are hearing us when we’re telling you that choosing the Old Gods means death for us, right?” She asks, her iceberg gaze unblinking as she focuses on Sah. She hates having to put it so bluntly, and she can understand the need for the region to survive, but…

Perhaps it makes her selfish in wanting to have a spot in her home once the dust settles. “I personally don’t care who each one of us follows. I just know that by choosing the Old Gods for Halo puts the Ascended population that live here at a huge risk.” Because what if one of them decided enough was enough? That the Ascended needed to leave? And then – then they’re backed into the Grounds once again to have a dome placed overhead to be unheard from for another three centuries - or more. Or to perish into nothing, like a horrific time capsule to be opened later.
Shaye Alexander
Furrier

Change author:
Shaye

Shaye remains standing in place, but becomes quiet as others in the room speak their pieces. She nods to Kiada and Neron, no argument given toward them because they do answer her concerns. Does it make her any less concerned about the given circumstances? She isn't sure, but she bides the time quietly as Morgan brings her own concerns forward - even when tension spikes between Sah and Kiada.

But once there is room for her to speak afterward, Shaye offers her own input, "I think it's suffice to say that none of us will unanimously agree for one side or the other," she hopes this statement will pull the two back from their hills-to-die-on, seeing no need for a roundabout argument like this here and now, "and so neutrality is where we will remain. I don't believe that choosing all gods is as good as choosing none. If Halo disconnected all ties from the gods, we would be standing in a very different Citadel." A caution, perhaps to all of them, to not underestimate the godly influence that holds the land together. "If we are all so worried about what the Gods will think, think of this; if all the regions go to battle, then all of Caido will be a warzone. The Gods will expect all of us to fight, and people will die everywhere. But... if Halo were to announce itself as a safe place, as a shelter from the war... I doubt that all the Gods would be... unappreciative of that.

"And it may very well solve what seems to be our most pressing issue. If nowhere else in Caido is safe, people will need shelter - and we need people. If those people want to be safe, they will want to keep Halo safe in turn."
It would be a mutually beneficial relationship. "I may be underestimating the amount of people that want to fight but, with neutrality in mind, I think it would be our best course of action to figure out a way to gain support from the other regions - even if it's only in the form of indifference. But a leader that wants to be able to offer their other citizens a safe shelter from the storm.. could confidently point them in our direction. We could fortify the Citadel, make it even safer than it already is; we can train in defensive tactics; form tactical allies so we can at least stay informed," Shaye swallows and looks from person to person, adding, "If we are to move forward, we all need to fully embrace this stance and be proactive. There's only so much time."

With that, she sits back down and awaits the others' opinions.