[SE] walk the walk
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
gratuitous violence; unnecessary, satisfying, heartbreaking
Longheat nights are both sweet and salty in Torchline, and Ronin appreciates the ruffle of the sea breeze in his hair as they sail, swift and silent, over the Maw. He has never been this far out before into the Arclight, and the way the waters below turn blacker than black is as beautiful as it is unnerving. "I hope you don't mind having our little meeting like this," he murmurs to Maeve, smiling across at her.

He has taken them via his nimbus, the cloud more than capable of holding two, and given that Ronin's legs are dangling over the edge of it, there's plenty of room for the Queen at his side to stretch out. "I've been feeling drawn out here, lately. Maybe I just miss Torchline," he says, a little bashful in his admission. (The truth, of course, is the sea monster lurking in his blood, but he doesn't know anything about that, yet).

"Shall we stop and have tea?" he asks, gesturing to the picnic he'd been sure to bring.
RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

When she had agreed to meet with Ronin for tea and a little chat, the Nightshade hadn't thought it would be out here, hovering over a place she's only ever been once. Her nerves are already frayed, threatening to give her away as she sits stock still on his nimbus, forcing a smile as they come to a stop above the water. With a bit of trepidation, Maeve dares a glance over the edge, stomach dropping at the sight of nothing but black beneath them. She's not a very good swimmer and while Maeve thinks that Ronin wouldn't actively put her in harms way, she's good enough at reading people to know something is off, but given the knowledge she has about what Sunjata did recently... Well, it all just makes sense.

"It's a bit unconventional, but when have we ever been normal?" It's an attempt at a joke, willing herself to relax as she lets out a breath, urging some of the steel in her spine to ease. A hum pushes past her lips, jade eyes cutting over to Safrin's Star, "There is something about it. Even I feel its call at times." There is a comfort that manages to mix with the unknown and Maeve finds herself drawn down to the coast more often than not.

A nod is offered to his question, the Queen shifting to poke through the basket, pulling out the honey cake she made sure he packed before they left. "That sounds lovely." Tea is made and poured, cake cut, and fruit served. Soon there is nothing left to do but talk. "Shall we get to it or are we meant to sit in strained silence for a while longer?" Maeve drawls, glancing at him over the top of her teacup, taking a sow sip.
Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips
We should just kiss like real people do
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Does Ronin know that Maeve isn't a particularly strong swimmer? Would he have arranged this chat out here if so? Did he arrange it out here precisely because of that reason? All questions that drain into that strained silence as the duo help to arrange their picnic, Ronin shifting to sit cross-legged on the nimbus with the tea and cake between them. Attacking the cake first (and that's always a good start), he hums a warm sound of amusement at her remark.

"Is it strained if I'm just hungry?" he wants to know, raising an eyebrow across at her and licking his fingers. "I'm sure you've heard about Sunjata," he continues, nonetheless acquiescing and opening the proverbial can of worms. "A demigod for Frey, now. Safrin is... I have never seen her quite like that." Because the shrine thread hasn't really happened yet, oop.

"She asked me to come here, to inquire about the state of affairs within Torchline."
RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Except Ronin isn't just hungry. Maeve knows there is more to this. It was impossible to miss the stars going black and after talking with Sunjata, knowing he was the reason for it, knowing what he did. No, Ronin isn't just hungry. Still, Maeve attempts a laugh, huffing out the sound as she lowers her tea from her mouth. Her fingertips press into the warm sides, using the heat to ground herself as she listens, jade eyes locked on him. "I saw him shortly after, actually. He told me what he did." The betrayal Safrin must have felt, knowing how fond the goddess was of her prizes and the lengths she went to keep them. No one simply turned away from her light.

"I can only imagine..." Maeve says softly, taking the opprotunity to eat a bite of cake, letting the flavor spread across her tongue as she gathers her thoughts. The question is not a surprise, but the fact that Safrin has concerns doesn't sit well with the Nightshade. "What are her concerns specifically? I've done all she's asked of me so far. I built the Court in her name and image. I've been gathering information to present to her when I next see her on things that have been happening in regards to the Voice and the Ascended. What else does she want?" Safrin hasn't asked more from her. She hasn't told her to shun the Ascended from Torchline's shores. There have been no major requests aside from completing the regional quest, but even that was for Torchline's benefit and by Safrin's grace.
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
"How ballsy of him." Telling Maeve what he had done, he means. At least Sunjata is owning his decisions, he supposes - though perhaps Ronin had been the one to beat that out of him. Sipping at his tea and enjoying another bite of cake, he shifts so his leg hangs precariously back over the edge of the nimbus, as if he enjoys the feeling of the nothingness that yawns below.

Safrin's concerns, though, have his blue eyes focusing steadily on Maeve. "She is concerned that those who have declared themselves loyal to her will be as fair weather as Sunjata," he says softly. "That they will take her gifts, only to change allegiance at the first easy offer they receive." He shrugs.

"So I'm here to ask you if you're serious about your faith to our goddess, and if that will be reflected in Torchline now that the war is creeping closer."
RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve didn't have the specifics of it all. She doesn't know what the offer was. Though, the Nightshade knew it involved Nate. Everything always involves Nate. It was his one weakness. Safrin, in all of her glory, could never compare to that man in Sunjata's eyes. A stupid mistake on his part. Safrin would have given him everything. The stars, his daughter, whatever he wanted. Yet he made his choice. "He seemed... pleased. I've never seen him like that before, Ronin." She admits, brow knitting together as her eyes dip to her tea, studying the amber liquid for the span of a breath.

They quickly snap back up to him, hearing the softness of his voice, taking in his words and the worry that's clearly etched on his face, knowing that he doesn't want to be having this talk. Not really. Maeve shakes her head, making an almost pained sound, "I could never. Ronin, when I sought out the gods for the first time, I didn't think any of them would think me worthy. Safrin... She's given me so much, but she saw more in me than anyone ever has. She didn't turn me away. She accepted all that I am. I- I owe her so much. I could never turn away." Even if it meant having to make hard choices. Even if it meant taking a stance that others didn't understand. Maeve wasn't a woman of war. She didn't favor fighting. It was typically the last action she'd take, but she would do what she had to.

"When she put me in power over Torchline, I knew I wanted to protect those who were here and I knew that down the road, there would be a time to make choices that would shut people out." Even with the next regional quest coming into consideration, Maeve knew it was time to make moves that would ensure their survival, "I will do what I have to. This land is already protected by her and I will keep it that way."
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
"I'm sure he did," Ronin says, taking another sip of tea. "I imagine we are all pleased, before we realise the consequences of our actions." Setting down his cup, he finishes off the rest of his cake and dusts the crumbs from his hands over the Maw, all the while hearing Maeve out. "You'll forgive me my bluntness, but Safrin did the same and offered the same to Sunjata. And this is where we are."

He stretches his arms above his head, the cloud beginning to listlessly move over the water again now. "Words are just words. I think Safrin is looking for actions, now. Declaring Torchline for her - officially - that would go a long way to helping smooth things out," he agrees, offering her a sad smile. "Though the portal is still in use. And Ascended still come to and from Torchline quite freely. Not to mention Aurelia's notice."
RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

It hurts to be compared to Sunjata in this regard. She understands, but it doesn't take the sting out. Maeve lifts her chin, squaring back her shoulders, "How should I do that, then? I will. If that's what she wants. This place is hers." Her voice is firm, the conviction obvious in the words she speaks, aware of the way the nimbus shifts over the Maw. Her nerves skyrocket again and she has to set down her teacup to keep it from rattling in her hands.

"I was going to talk to her about the portal... I heard that a Longnight monster came through the one in Halo. Sah fought it and told Deimos of the attack. I fear that the Voice could use it to send others onto our shores too." Maeve confesses, a heavy sigh pushing past her lips at the mention of Aurelia, nodding slowly. "I haven't had a chance to talk to Aurelia about that. I'm not sure the best way to broach the subject. I imagine Safrin won't be pleased that she's taking those actions, either."
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
In the same way that Safrin often does, warmth blooms back into Ronin as he's given the answers he needs, a genuine smile spreading across his face. "Tell her. And show her publicly, that Torchline is hers," he says earnestly, the cloud slowing once more, whether subconsciously or otherwise.

"If you'd like me to be there while you pray for her, you need only ask. I confess I wasn't aware of the situation with the Longnight monster..." And for a second Ronin looks like just a man again - he has dealt with them in abundance, to his own detriment, and it has left a mark. "And I am sure she would be interested in finding a way to prevent something from getting through the portal to endanger Torchline.

As for Aurelia? He can only shake his head. "She may be taking the actions, Maeve, but she's taking them on your islands. She isn't a queen any longer - she ought to be checking with you before offering her opinion on things concerning the war."
RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve wasn't sure a notice would do. Should she hold an event? Tell Safrin in person? Her mind rolls over it, but his smile puts those thoughts on pause. She releases a breath she hadn't realized was caught in her lungs, shoulders dropping from by her ears and one of her own blooms across her features, relief settling in her bones. "I was going to wait to finish the quest she set me one before I went to see her... Should I go sooner, you think?" She doesn't want to keep her waiting, fearing that staying away might give her the wrong impression and wanting to do nothing less.

"Would you? I sometimes worry that going to just talk to her is... I don't want to waste her time. It was why I was going to wait, but there are concerns and so many moving parts now." She sighs, taking up her tea again, letting the warmth of the liquid soothe her. "I didn't know either until recently. It's never happened here, but with the war coming, I can't help thinking that the Voice might send something through."

He's right, of course. It isn't her right to do this. Not without speaking with her. "She talked to me when she got back. Told me that she didn't want to lead or take a stance. I guess that wasn't true, either."
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
"Gods do so much for us, Maeve. And I think sometimes they need us in return," Ronin says warmly. "I would go to her sooner, certainly. Especially for something like this. State your intentions, put your faith where your mouth is." That, especially for someone like Safrin, is more important than anything. Reaching for another slice of cake, Ronin takes a large enough bite out of it that he can only nod his agreement with her at first.

"Of course I will. Let me know when you're going and I'll arrange to come with you. I'll be in Torchline for a few days, yet." The nimbus swoops gently downwards now, so it's not quite as precariously above the Maw, and it turns towards the tiny lights in the distance that mark out Torchline.

Humming out an exasperated sigh, he nods his agreement. "I suppose not," he says. "But at least if Torchline states its intentions, this is less likely to happen again."
RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

"I think you're right." She murmurs, a faint smile on her lips as she finishes off the last of her tea. "I will do that. I'm going to get some answers from Aurelia first. Figure out what her intentions were so I have something to tell Safrin should she ask." Maeve decides with a nod, taking another bite of cake, letting the sweet cake melt on her tongue.

"I appreciate it, Ronin. Really. I want to do right by her. I want to make her proud. I know I'm not her demigod, but I want her to know she can rely on me all the same." She wasn't Safrin's Star. She didn't hold the same dazzle as him. The same powers and gifts, but her love for the goddess was no less.

She nods along with him, sighing softly as she dusts the crumbs from her hands, "You're right." Maeve straightens, "There will be no going back after this, will there? With the war and all that..."
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
"That sounds like a wise idea," Ronin agrees about Aurelia, smiling as he sets off in earnest back towards the shore, pouring himself some more tea and offering it out to Maeve as well. "You can be as special as any demigod with the right set of skills and the right god behind you. I think you're on to a winner, but I am biased," he murmurs with a smirk. "And you never know what the future might hold, hm?"

One thing is for certain though. The future holds war, and neither of them can get away from that. "No, I'm afraid not," Ronin says with a soft frown. "Being a part of the Order and being Safrin's demigod, I know I'm closer to all of this than a lot of people. And I can say that I don't think it matters if we did nothing... war would still come for us. So I feel more comfortable in knowing my place. Knowing who I stand for and that I'm preparing. What about you...? How are you and Torchline, with all this coming?"
RONIN
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

The tea is readily accepted and Maeve takes another sip, already feeling more at ease as the shore starts to come into view, wind warm as it breezes past them. Her smile is soft, a quiet laugh slipping past her lips, "I think you might be right." She teases, bumping his shoulder lightly before she's leaning into him, dropping her head against his shoulder. With the main point of conversation gone it's easier to simply be.

"I'm doing what I can to keep them safe. I hope that we're able to finish this fountain before the fighting starts so I can heal anyone who is hurt. I'm not much of a fighter, but I have people here to fight for. I need to keep them safe." She's grateful that her council is made of people who share the same goal. Even if some of them are only interested in keeping Torchline alive and well. It didn't matter the drive behind it. Not in this case. "There is a lot I feel like I don't know. Things about the Voice... I don't doubt the gods, but with so many voices screaming about what to do I sometimes fear I'll make the wrong choice."