like waves in the sea
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake
Owner of The Hanged Man / Queen of Torchline

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 30 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 34 - Int: 1
SPICE - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
Flora
Gosh it was beautiful here. Luckily nonna Vai had outfitted her in a cotton dress or else she'd be pouring with sweat. Unfortunately, there wasn't much time to take in the full beauty of the coastline given Ronin's long stride, but the young girl was able to keep up if she really put her mind to it. Which she would, no matter how beautiful or distracting the scenery was.

Normally headstrong and confident, in Ronin's shadow Flora was nervous and flighty. Though the Huntsman had never been anything but PoLItE to her, she could feel the unease that was brought by whispered conversations behind semi-closed doors, and the way the air in certain rooms grew cold if she, her twin, or her mother appeared.

'So...where are we going?' She asks chipperly, trying to sound mature and not like some annoying child that her step-father had been forced to bring along with him.
these f a i r y  t a l e s
of science
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Online
Change author:
MP: 3061
there will be scrapes and sutures; viciousness and victory
"We are going to the Court of the Stars. But I need to pick up a few things first, from the stalls here." If there could be a frost in Torchline, it would be coming from Ronin right now. Yes, there have been many hushed conversations behind closed doors. Conversations with petulant do I have tos and but I don't cares and fine but I'm going to complain about its. And so here they are, a broad shouldered demigod of Safrin and a girl at his heels, the same age Aoife likely would have been by this point.

Eventually he does slow his steps by a fraction, as if he can almost hear the fatigue in her little legs, but he doesn't look at her. Not quite - only out of the corner of his eyes. "Is there anything you would like, while your brother has escaped?" Mateo had run away into the beaches claiming he had very important work to do with Everest, and that had been that, pretty much.
RONIN
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Flora
"Ah, okay." Flora replies with an eager nod, sounding as if she understood but absolutely didn't. Feeling like a bundle of nervous energy that felt quite a bit like when you haven't eaten enough and are desperately hungry, the girl tries not to pant her relief as Ronin slows down such that his long strides become more manageable.

'Oh, well...I was hoping if there was time maybe we could visit Safrin's lighthouse? I could pick up some things for her while you're at the market. You know, to leave as offerings." This was calculated of course, it being no secret in the Taliesin (or Kaliesin) household to who the Huntsman was loyal, but hopefully Ronin wouldn't hold it against her. "Maybe starfish from the beach, or something shiny to reflect the candlelight? I've even brought some things to trade!" Vai had given her a beaded necklace and some lengths of woven fibre from the Greatwood that, while not worth much, should be enough to get a few trinkets.
of science
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
If anyone knows a calculated manipulation it's Safrin's demigod, but Ronin accepts it with a thin smile nonetheless. He can appreciate the effort even if he doesn't believe it to be genuine. "There are flowers that you can get that are shaped like stars," he says softly. "Perhaps some of those, in a vase that will reflect the candlelight." It isn't Flora's fault she was born, he sUpPoSeS, and as an Accepted, being beloved by the gods is going to come naturally to her.

Stepping up the wooden planks onto the boardwalk, he glances down at her properly now, raising an eyebrow. "Oh? What do you have?" he wonders. Up ahead the stalls are already busy, and music and the sound of laughter and chatting are audible from where they stand.
RONIN
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
Flora
'Oh? That sounds like the sort of thing she might like, but...isn't that a bit too easy? Won't everyone have gotten her something like that?" Flora wonders, following behind Ronin with a childish hop to her step that, had she realized, she'd have stopped immediately.

'Mmmm...' Humming as she pulled out a long string of beads woven together by her and Vai, Flora then reaches into the pocket of her dress to produce a precisely-folded bolt of woven cloth. Made from the strongest and most flexible veins in the Greatwood, Vai had assured her that they would fetch more than enough for what Flora had envisioned. Now though, standing before Ronin and beneath his scrupulous gaze, she's suddenly worried. 'Do...you think it's enough? For something really nice for Safrin?'
of science
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Sometimes it isn't the gift that is important, it's the intention behind it," Ronin murmurs, trying and failing to ignore the way Flora's hopping inspires the shadow of a smile on his face. "Safrin is certainly a fan of pretty things, but she also likes it when people bring her things because they want to, not because they are told to."

They press on towards the stalls, weaving in and out through the throngs of people now, and Ronin glances sidelong at the beads and cloth that the girl produces. "I think they will be more than enough to get whatever you are looking for," he says with a nod. "Somehow, too, I think you will be lucky at these stalls."

Specifically because she is with Ronin, and no one is going to be foolish enough to deny one of his wards a trinket for his goddess. Not that he has seen thus far.
RONIN
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
Flora
"Well..." Not wanting to come across as argumentative but feeling like there was more to be said, the girl sucks on her lower lip for a moment as her pale eyebrows knit together. "If it's the thought behind it...then getting something so easy doesn't seem all that thoughtful. Like the difference between picking flowers on the way to see someone, versus intentionally going to get them beforehand." Then again...maybe seeing them on the way and being inspired was the more thoughtful gift.

Oh, this was hard.

Wanting to press her hand into Ronin's but resisting the urge, instead, Flora twines the beads in her small fingers and glances about. The stalls are filled with all sorts of things that the girl has to stand on her toes to see. Some she is able to sail by without a second glance, but others have her stopping for thoughtful consideration. Very nearly she asks Ronin his thoughts on a doll that has stars woven for eyes, but instantly her breath is taken away when she sees it.

It is a beautiful opal brooch. Actually, it's incredibly tacky, with the rainbow colours offset by garish and cheap stones around the outside. To Flora though, it looks like a constellation that's exploding, and she just has to have it. "Oh, look!" She gushes, pointing. "Just like the Seal of the Duke!"
of science
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
It's a difficult tightrope to walk, because Ronin doesn't hate children by nature. Quite the opposite, in fact, and as they walk he finds himself positioning such that people will move around both he and Flora by default, even if he isn't actually reaching for her hand (yet). He's picking up a few things - tea, for a meeting he'll have with Maeve later, and wine for what he'll absolutely need that evening - when she pipes up and he turns.

He wants to wrinkle his nose at the brooch, but then of course she mentions what it looks like, and he does understand. Softening somewhat, his shoulders relaxing as he steps up beside her, he nods for the stall owner to pick it up and offer it out for Flora to give a closer inspection. "If this is what you want, I think those beads would be more than a good enough trade for it," he says.

The stall owner, noting the look in the Huntsman's eye, of course nods enthusiastically at this as well.
RONIN
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
Flora
Glancing from Ronin and then to the merchant, Flora confidently hands over the beads. Nothing in her life has told her yet that Ronin could ever be wrong, and so she picks up the brooch without even considering that perhaps what she's offered in trade isn't enough. Eyeing it like a youthful raven, Flora immediately rubs her fingerprints off of the surface using the hem of her dress, holding it carefully by the garish outer edges.

"Will she love it?" Flora asks, eyes wide and breath slightly held, as she looks up toward Ronin for his approval. Hopefully it really was the thought that counted, because the item held in Flora's little hands couldn't even properly be called costume jewellery, it was so gaudy.
of science
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Ronin hates this, and he can't help but not hate it at the same time. The way the girl looks up at him has his throat growing tight and his eyes pricking at the corners, and the fact that she's gazing at him with Remi's eyes is the final razorblade he has to choke on. Swallowing hard, he offers her a smile that's surprising in its warmth, even to himself. Nodding, he admires the garish, tacky little brooch and nods

"I don't see how she couldn't love it," he says, though he's neither talking about Safrin nor the trinket. "Come on. I think I will get those flowers and that vase. Then we can go to the Aumakua together to make the offering? What do you think?"
RONIN
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
Flora
Wanting Ronin's approval even more than Safrin's (she didn't have to live with Safrin after all), the girl blushes and openly beams. Swallowing back her trill of delight (that was too much, she thought), Flora nods and tucks the brooch away in her pocket again the bolt of cloth. "Sure!" Her voice is bright with agreement and her upturned face is as eager as ever.

'Dad said that there's a grave for Aoife up there too.' Flora mumbles, now sounding girlishly nervous. 'Could...we maybe get a flower for her too? I know it isn't really her grave, because her body is gone and Dad says we carry her in our hearts, but..." Blushing again, Flora shrugs her small shoulders. 'I just thought it might be nice?'
of science
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
And so off they go, and this time Ronin does wordlessly offer his hand out to the girl to protect her from the bumping and shoving of eager shoppers at the stalls. It doesn't take much for him to get the vase, and he's at a florists to collect the starry flowers when Flora pipes up again. This time it's enough to have the breath freezing in his lungs - it has been a while since he'd heard his daughter's name, especially in Torchline - and he is careful not to look at her when he replies.

"I think that's a very good idea," he murmurs. "I was going to go and say hello to her this evening, but perhaps we can both go now." She's not Flora's sister, not by blood, but blood isn't everything, and as much as Remi was Aoife's father, so is Flora her sibling. "What kind of flower do you think would be best? Aoife liked things that were bright and colourful."
RONIN
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
Flora
The offering of his hand, casual and thoughtless as it probably was, has Flora's heart thundering in her chest. Was this...was this what it felt like to be okay? Or...was this more like a test? Were her palms sweaty? Was she holding his hand too tightly, like a baby? But if she loosened it, would he think she didn't want to hold his hand? Such were her thoughts as they moved through the busy market.

'Okay.' She agrees, smiling to herself; too young to sense the ice in Ronin's chest or the murmur of his tone, she chalks this away as another good suggestion on her part. 'Oh, did she? What about...orange and yellow. Everything around here is so blue, maybe she would like the contrast." Flora suggests, though her upturned eyes suggest that at the slightest hesitation from Ronin, she'll change her answer to something he might find more fitting.
of science
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"I think that would work well." For his part, Ronin's large hand closes around Flora's with the ease of any father - he's far from new at this role, and it's one he still guards closely in his heart. "Here - there are a few lilies that look like flames. Perhaps we'll get a few of those?" He nods at the flowers in question, and the florist dutifully wraps them up along with the creamy, star shaped flowers for Safrin.

"Would you like to hold them?" he asks of the lilies, offering them out to Flora. "I think it might be easier for us to fly up to the Aumakua, with all of these things. Have you ever been flying on a cloud before?" Maybe there's a hint of mischief in his eyes. He'll never tell.
RONIN