{SE} there’s no in between
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
The nights have lost their minds
Some things never change, some things remain an easy, familiar comfort. The VlamVloed, despite everything, is one of those things.

Their things, essentials for the time they’re going to spend here, have all been dumped in the basement room, but it’s too early to actually retire, evening sun streaming in through the open door, but not quite stretching enough to take a seat at the lightning scarred counter top that Nate’s ass currently rests on. There’s a leg resting on either side of Sunjata where he sits, a distracted hand tossing an apple up and catching it, over and over.

Freshly fed twins behind the bar, watched over loosely by Nate, and far more carefully by Pemota, the starwhal hovering close to the boys. A fuzzy glowing hand crackles into existence, grabbing Sunjata’s chin gently while Nate grabs the apple tightly, leaning in. They’ve been sitting in a silence for too long, and as usual Nate has no problem breaking it with something other than what they need to actually talk about.

You know, you almost look better in this light Sunny.
And the mornings are unkind
NATE
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
i can't quite tell you how it hurt me, but my god
My how things change. In the Grounds again for a little getaway, the twins settled behind the lightning scarred bar, and Sunjata can’t help but to feel like everything has simultaneously happened so fast and yet drug on for ages. The last time they had an extended stay was when the LongNight monsters still roamed the Grounds, when Nate had been forced to fight. Before his father kidnapped the demigod, before Sunjata had a daughter to save his husbands life, before they’d rescued these twins from certain death.

Sunjata, at the moment, is settled in a barstool, a drink in hand of the smoky whiskey that’s always been his favorite, hoping for the hint of good nostalgia it might bring. He’s lost himself in thought again, warmed up by the sunset that streams in through the door, but Nate’s able to pull him out of it. He always has been. He feels the crackling static hand at his chin and his tired steel gaze lifts to his husband’s face, watching the apple briefly before it shifts to the electric blue of his husband’s eyes.

At sunset?” He asks, almost as if he’s confused, before he downs the rest of his glass and sets it to the side, nestling his cheek into the static hand and wraps his arms around Nate’s middle as much as his arms can reach. “Wait, what do you mean by almost?” He asks, rising the scarred eyebrow as he stares up at his husband, expectantly.
how it still aches today
SuNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
At sunset.” Nate repeats, not bothering to clarify if that’s his answer, or if he’s just mimicking his husband. His grin softens a little as arms wrap around him, and he squints against the golden light haloing around Sunjata. “Nothing can hide those bruises, but…” He cuts a slice off the apple in his hand and presses it against the other man’s lips. “You look right in the light like this. You look,” Nate works his jaw, the words heavy, “you’re beautiful.

Another slice of apple is cut off, Nate lifting it to his own lips this time, just to find something to occupy his mouth with, just to muffle the sincerity that just poured from him. It’s rare the ascended can be described as shy, but Sunjata brings out something new in him. Especially now, when they need it to be nice so badly.

So of course, it doesn’t last.

There’s no pain, not really, but there is a sudden pressure in Nate’s thumb, right where he holds the apple. The shift is on his face almost immediately, the instant disappointment and disbelief – did I really just tucking cut myself? – but it’s gone the instant he looks down at his hand and sees the pale bug latched onto his skin. “Oh fuck!” Without thinking, Nate flings the apple away, letting it this wetly against the wall while he shakes his hand, trying to dislodge whatever this thing was.
NATE
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Sunjata’s head remains nestled in one static hand as he watches his husband, taking the apple slice in between his teeth the second Nate presses it against his lips. It’s idle chewing because he’s focused on Nate’s words, letting them wash over him, letting the words flush him in a visible way that he doesn’t even try to hide from – not like he used to. If anything, he tilts his head a bit more into Nate’s hand, eyes shutting briefly as he breathes in his husband’s scent, letting it soothe him. “Thank you.” He says quietly, thankful for the static hands and Nate’s Ascension that he might not feel the way his cheek blazes underneath it, the way the sun has brought out his freckles tenfold.

He only opens his eyes again to see the moment Nate’s working on his own slice, watching it as it falls apart in slow motion. It’s so jarring, the movement that Sunjata’s on edge – adrenaline built up and thundering in his neck as the apple goes flying and Nate’s shaking his hand. He doesn’t realize his breathing has increased until he’s standing between Nate’s legs, grabbing a little pair of metal tongs used for the ice behind the bar to pluck the insect from his husband’s thumb. “Here.” He pauses, making sure to squish the creature with no remorse with the bottom of his empty whiskey glass.

He takes Nate’s hand into his own, lifting it to his eye level to inspect it. Once he’s satisfied that everything is fine, he leans in and presses his lips to the wound, steel flicking up to catch Nate’s blues as the light of Nate’s passive illuminates his face with the pressure he places. “Allllll better.” He hums, before he pulls away a fraction, still keeping Nate’s hand in his own. “What the fuck was that thing?
how it still aches today
SuNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
It’s a golden moment, and it will live on as a golden moment in his head, one of many that come right before disaster, though in comparison this disaster is mild. Nate’s strangely aware of the way the apple explodes against the wall, some part of him more annoyed with himself than he is about the bug, still latched on to his hand until warm ones cradle it, and pry the pest away.

Bitey little bug fuck. Who knows.” There’s still a growl in Nate’s voice, no matter how he’s been soothed by glowing kisses. “Least it was me, and not you. Or…” He trails off, eyes slipping away from Sunjata’s face and towards the twins, kept calm by staticky starlight but very much awake now.

Holographic arms crackle into existence and lift each twin, Nate sitting them on the counter on either side of him, firm hands holding them steady. A smile flickers over his face, more sincere the more the anger thaws away. “i thought I was supposed to be the doctor here?” His fingers wiggle in Sunjata’s grip, settling off a mini light show. “Maybe Safrin sent it.” The joke rolls off his tongue easier now, most of the shock and anger she’d away from Nate.
NATE
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
The growl in his husband’s voice and the way he says it, sparks a small hum of a laugh to leave Sunjata – the corner of his lips lifting with the slight amusement, watching over his hand as he presses soft kisses to the wound to heal it, because that’s how it worked right? His gaze drifts when Nate’s does – looking back behind them to the twins now awake but calm regardless of the outburst, and he hums his agreement as Nate pulls them in with staticky hands.

He keeps Nate’s hands in one of his hands while the other moves to brush back each of the twin’s wild hair – one after the other – before Nate’s words catch his attention and there’s a bright spot among the storms settled in the steel of his gaze as he scans the Ascended’s face. “Even doctors need to be taken care of sometimes. And besides, Isla’s been having me help her in the Infirmary.” He comments with another hint of a smile that fades an inch at the mention of Safrin.

Sunjata huffs lightly, looking away from Nate to the twins again. “Yeah. Maybe.” He murmurs, working his jaw. “She’s… So fucking good at spinning shit her way.” There’s a little rumble of upset within it, but Sunjata’s concentrating on the twins now rather than the lump that wants to form in his throat, his hand still in Nate’s stroking the back of the Ascended’s hand with his thumb. “She convinced Kamaria that I only cared about you. Not her, not the twins... So she left to go stay with Ronin, because Safrin said he could protect her when I wasn't willing to.” There’s a bit of shame mixed with his frustration that curls his lips, that coats his words with a quiet little venom as he tends to the twins, refusing to look at Nate's face.
how it still aches today
SuNJATA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Warmth swims in Nate’s eyes like a diamond sheen, his jaw trembling around a silent swallow. He watches his husbands hand push through one sons hair, then the other, and his lips twitch in and out of a smile. “Yeah.” The single word breaks his voice, and he has to bite his tongue hard to keep steady. “You angling for my job, sonskyn?” This comes out more even, Nate’s tongue dipping out to wet his lips.

Whatever fragility has bloomed on his face hardens again as he thinks on the Herald, the hand not cradled by Sunjata’s lifting to caress his jaw. “It’s what bad people do.” Nate says. “They twist everything so they’re never on the bottom, so it’s always your fault.” Another hand appears to poke Sunjata’s chest before crackling back into nothing, something serious simmering on the ascended’s face. Something that makes his nose wrinkle and his lips pull up like someone just served him a plate of shit, and he’s trying to be polite about it. That’s a fair evaluation of his opinion of Safrin anyway, but just when he thought she couldn’t be any worse, just when he was sure she was at the bottom, something else comes up.

It really was amazing what divinity could do.

The simmering finally boils over into rage, Nate careful to keep his voice quiet, to let every ounce of hostility free not in volume but in tone, in the twist of her face. “So that’s it huh? We move away from everyone, some place where the house isn’t going to get burned down every season, and that’s just selfishness?” Nate’s hand tightens on Sunjata’s face, and his fingers frighten in around Sunjata’s hand, and he doesn’t even seem to notice. “So it’s better to run off with the man who’s already had one kid die under him? The one who couldn’t keep his husband from fucking other children into the world behind his back?” Nate scoffs, and throws his head back, pulling the twins onto his lap when he does, as if that’s all it will take to keep them safe and close.

Guess the only thing that matters to her is that he’s got her hand so far up his ass you can see her fingers when he talks, huh?” Nate leans in suddenly, bumping their foreheads together with more force than he means, but it should be enough to get Sunjata to focus back on him. “Its not your fault, Sunny. Believe me.
NATE
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
I don’t have the bedside manner.” Sunjata replies swiftly, managing a soft smile at Nate’s warmth, letting it roll over him like the Ascended’s the sun and he’s a starved plant. It fractures, though, the storm cloud of the mention of Safrin covering any sun and instead reveals this deep seated fire that Sunjata clings to – finally able to indulge within it rather than be afraid of the repercussions.

His head is angled up, held by his jaw in a gentle, cool hand and Sunjata’s steel focuses on Nate and the words that leave the other demigod. He can’t help the slight, humorless snort that slips from him with the static prod at his chest, a slow blink of agreement because he doesn’t want to interrupt – not when the information of Kamaria is dripping from his tongue and his own internal rage is a bright fire stoked by Nate’s own.

Apparently.” He mumbles, his jaw held a little tighter, but he doesn’t mind, not when he can sit here and watch those bright electric hues of Nate’s eyes and in his peripherals see the way the light flickers along where the Ascended touches his face. His anger and frustration smooth out to something closer to a choked laugh as Nate’s forehead meets his own and he leans into it, clings to it as he squeezes the other demigod’s hand back tighter, a huff of a sound leaving him with the force of their foreheads meeting. “You have a hard head.” He grumbles, awkwardly finding a spot in the subject to talk about before his throat chokes up again.

He closes his eyes though, lifting Nate’s hand to his lips to press a kiss to the back of his hand. “I… I don’t doubt that Ronin can keep her safe with the threat of Safrin behind it. I just…” He shakes his head as he figures out the words to say, always failing when it comes to it. “I don’t want her to view me like how I viewed my father. I do care. And I have protected her. And I still would be if Safrin didn’t convince everyone that the only reason I fucking did this was so we could fuck.” The latter bit is said with a hiss, his lips still moving along the back of Nate’s hand before he shakes his head and presses it harder against his husband’s, keeping his eyes shut tight.
how it still aches today
SuNJATA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
The force of their heads bumping makes Nate's teeth click, and the immediate regret only serves to stoke his anger, the huff of "Fuck, sorry," coming out far more sarcastic and snappy than he means. It's the kind of thing he could correct with the bond, but as they are now all he can do is curl his lip and bite his tongue almost hard enough to feel.

"Is that what people think we're getting out of this?" Nate asks with an incredulous huff, the sheer stupidity of that thought dousing a little bit of his rage and bringing him back out of another shout. He finally pulls his hand away from Sunjata's lips, moving it to wrap around the back of his head and cradle him close. "I wish I knew what to do. How to... how to make this better." A short sigh huffs through his nose, Nate working his jaw before he opens his mouth again. "I think... all you can do is keep trying."

It doesn't feel as helpful as he wants, but it's at least a thought he can explain, his head pressing harder against his husband before he does. "When I moved out, if my old man didn't think he could get something outta me, he didn't bother with me." It's his turn to shake his head."And she's a smart kid. It won't take her forever to realize her mom just says whatever she needs to to get what she wants." He doesn't say that it might still take time, he is trying to be comforting.
NATE
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
It’s okay.” He replies, his voice smooth like water in the face of Nate’s snappy, sarcastic fire. He doesn’t mind, more than content to ebb and flow against his husband’s rage and fury, to let his cold waters reveal the hidden bits of what had happened with the uncertainty if Nate wanted to take the burden onto himself too. Sunjata doesn’t blame him if he doesn’t. But he can answer questions, specifically the one that drips from the other demigod’s lips. “It’s all anyone has said.” And he could deny it until he was blue in the face – that a perk didn’t mean the justification of why he’d chosen this path. But he can’t get anyone to listen who doesn’t want to hear.

Nate’s hand leaves Sunjata’s and despite the cooling sensation of the Ascended’s hands, Sunjata’s lips feel colder now without the touch, his hand limply falling to his lap now as Nate draws him close, Sunjata closing his eyes as his face is pressed against Nate’s chest. “That’s all I can do, isn’t it? Try to let everyone’s opinions roll off? Pretend like it doesn’t matter?” Not when it feels like they’re harboring knives behind their backs, ready to stab him the second he presented an opportunity.

It's just another circle of trauma, not nearly as gaslighting as when his father was around,  but it weighed heavily on his shoulders regardless. “Yeah… It doesn’t help she’s a teenager, either.” Sunjata mumbles into Nate’s chest, his voice muffled as he opens his eyes a fraction to see the faint glow of light beneath Nate’s shirt from where his head is pressed in tighter. “I didn’t exactly have the dramatic teenage years I’ve heard everyone talk about, but… It feels like it fits.” After all, when Sunjata was Kamaria’s age, he was preparing for his Trial. Preparing to go into a bowl of mud and murder his way into being the last one standing. Hardly room for teenage fits and fights.

That and his father being who he was. And perhaps it’s those thoughts that make his nose wrinkle, that have his hands lifting to wrap around Nate’s waist, pressing himself into his husband tighter as he shuts his eyes tight again. “I’m sorry I’m like this.
how it still aches today
SuNJATA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Above Sunjata's head, Nate's jaw works, grinding his first thoughts into softer words. "Yes," he says, "and no. Don't let them see it. Don't react. But it matters." There's more of an edge in Nate's voice than there usually is, the silver tongue sharpened into a cold blade. "Remember who said what. And don't forget."

A huff shakes Nate's chest, laughter that he tries to choke back out of some automatic respect for his husband, but he can't help it. With everything they've dealt with, everything they've gone through, teenage drama just seems so... benign. "I did." Nate very nearly says it like a boast, and maybe, if he hadn't already shared a handful of stories about his youth, maybe it would actually come across like one. "Even if it's bad, it won't last forever. Just," he purses his lips, not wanting to let his next words leave him for how useless they feel, "stay open, right? Give her the... the room to make her own choices, and..." Words trail off as Sunjata's arms wrap around him, Nate shifting to press his lips to his husband's head.

"Sonskyn," the one word is so soft it almost doesn't sound like anything at all, and yet so heavy it presses in against his husbands skin like yet another hand holding him close, "you don't have to apologize." Nate leans back again, pressing their foreheads together and waiting for Sunjata to meet his gaze. "Look at everything we've got. Everything we built. With you like this. They can't keep us down Sunny."
NATE
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
He’s always been bad at it – keeping his face hidden unless he was falling behind that Korofi mask of his. Perhaps it was time to dust it off, to pretend it doesn’t matter when it did. To follow with Nate’s advice in letting his mind wrap pluck the names of those that had stated such things, filtering them away in the file cabinet of his mind (damaged as it might be at the moment).

The subject turns to teenage dramatics, however, and Sunjata’s continual faltering with that too. Having not experienced it, he has little to go off of. All he knows is that he can treat it differently than his father had – instead of forcing a relationship between them, Sunjata could be patient. He could wait. He could do exactly what Nate says. So it’s a low rumble of a “just wait and see.” He finishes the sentence with ease, leaning into the lips pressed to his head.

His nickname pulls him out of the darker waters he’s floundering in, his head lifting a fraction, eyes still shut as he feels his husband’s cool forehead press against his own, as he feels the dark curls scrape across his freckled, sunkissed skin. It takes him a few moments before he opens his steel, but he does. He isn’t sure if Nate’s words are a balm or a burn, though. How long has he been like this? It feels like a shifting notion where some months are better and he thinks that he’s gotten better since they’d left Torchline.

But… Perhaps that’s not what Nate means, and he scans the blurry lines of Nate’s vibrant blues, the little hues of white electricity that spark out from under his skin where they touch. “I’m beginning to realize that it really is just us.” He should have learned it sooner, but here he was hanging onto hope. He nudges his head up, pressing his lips to the corner of his husband’s lips, his arms tightening around him. “I love you.” He murmurs gently, a whisper just between them.
how it still aches today
SuNJATA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
"I'll take care of you. I'll take care of us, and you'll take care of me cause that's what we do. We don't need a single other fucking person." Nate's hands rise to cradle Sunjata's face, thumbs smoothing over the dusting of freckles on sun-kissed skin. There is a single-minded intensity in Nate's gaze, a promise in the set of his jaw, in the trembling gentleness in his hands. A thin smile spreads across his face, bright blue gaze searching over his husband's features before landing back on his eyes. "I'm sorry." It's so quiet it almost isn't real, the breath that ghosts across Sunjata's face carrying more heft.

"I love you too. I love you too." A hand lifts to brush a stray wave of dark hair out of Sunjata's face, tucking it behind his ear. "You remember what we said, right?" Nate leans in, just the corners of their lips pressing together in a half kiss. "Tot die einde. Just us, just what we make for us."

In a smooth motion, Nate stands, the free arms he has left appearing to guide Sunjata a step back. He doesn't even bristle at the difference in height between them this time, just lifts onto the tips of his toes to press another kiss to his husband. "Let's go down, mmm? Get these two in bed and then relax a little bit. How's that sound?" He's asking, but there doesn't seem to be too much room for argument, Nate already leadin them behind the counter in the back room.
NATE
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
I wish…” Sunjata begins, head tilting into the hands that cradle his face, lids fluttering closed with the path that Nate’s cool thumbs make over his line of freckles, the ex-Attuned sighing as he figures out how to finish his sentence. “I wish we didn’t have to.” That there wasn’t the need to have to constantly take care of one another outside of what their relationship should be. It shouldn’t have to be protection from war or gods or threats in the night.

His gaze opens partially, scanning Nate’s face with the cool breath that scrapes across his cheeks. “I remember.” He whispers gently, tilting his head into the half kiss his husband offers, his arms slipping around Nate’s middle just a bit tighter than before, until he’s forced to pull away. His lips part to make some other comment but it dies as soon as it starts because Nate’s moving, guiding him back and he can’t help the way his brows pinch together, a small amount of confusion overcoming him as if he isn’t understanding what the goal here is. He bends just enough to give into the kiss before he withdraws, one hand rising to Nate’s sharp jaw, thumb pressing gently against that sharp cheekbone before he rumbles his agreement.

You know me so well.” He remarks, a small huff of a breath leaving him as he grabs the rest of the little items behind Nate, blankets and toys for the twins that he hefts into one arm, following Nate into the back room where he can drop them off. Once they get settled in, Sunjata helps Nate get the twins into their beds, little soft kisses pressed to their cheeks, a blanket drawn up over them as they start to fall asleep, and Sunjata heads to the one Nate and him share, shedding his shirt in the process and running hands through his hair. “I forget how hot Longheat is until it’s here. It’s miserable.” He huffs, sinking onto the bed, laying back and glancing at the ceiling before he tilts his head to look over at Nate. "I miss air conditioning."
how it still aches today
SuNJATA