New perspective
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
MaeA
Reveling in the sudden and quite unexpected freedom granted by the arrival of the Spark Bird, Maea roamed the streets with a giddy sense of rebellion. Though the skies remained dark, the sun absent as Longnight persisted around the Hollowed Ground, the deep snow sparkled on the rooftops and turned the terrors of the night into something beautiful. It was a sight Maea had never seen before. Not like this, never at this time of year. Never during this week.

Even as she strolled past abandoned houses, ruined buildings and the jumbled homes of the people who called the domiciles their home she jumped at the shadows of the alleyways, keeping well away from whatever piles of rubble or crevices she passed. Who knew what might still lurk in the shadows? The bird was as bright and beautiful as the stories had promised, but could anyone really know if all the things were true? It still worried her to hear the sounds of laughter and glee from the square before the perch, where naturals and outlanders alike reveled in delight at the break from weeklong terror. What if the monsters heard and came for the bird? What if some did not fear the fire and light and...

But though common sense told her to go back inside, Maea couldn't stand to return to the Rathskellar. If anything she wanted to return to her brothers house, make sure they were safe, see how the children were faring and tell them about the miracle that had occurred. It was tempting... But the circle of light did not extend that far.
are
Bending down, she scooped up a handful of snow and shaped it into a snowball. Throwing it high up into the air, the girl watched it fall back down and break apart on the ground, only to quickly reform again. It began rolling downhill, and with a faint smile she followed after, quietly hoping it would not wind up knocking anyone over as the snowball kept growing.
you're so cold, but you feel alive.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe was enjoying the newfound freedom of not having to be cooped up indoors, thanks to the Sparkbird. Not that she had anything to do or places to be outside, there wasn't a lot of room to venture around after all. But it beat sitting inside. Emmett was sleeping off his injuries. The younger two didn't want to leave his side and...well they didn't know her that well yet. And even caretakers need a breather every now and then.

That was when a smallish snowball hit her ankle. Phoebe looked down in surprise, eyes following the trail it left up to another woman. She wasn't someone the young midwife recognized but she smiled at her warmly regardless. "Hello there! Did you lose this?" she asked, pointing to the still perfectly formed snowball at her feet.
Phoebe
In a gentle way, you can shake the world
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MaeA
When the tumbling snowball stopped, so did Maea. The smiling girl that had appeared opposite her filled the pallid mage with the same cold unease, as all people did during unexpected encounters such as this. Squinting across the distance Maea tried to make sense of the hazy blur of a figure, sorting general shapes and colors into what she knew ought to be there; golden hair, a lean figure... bit as always the details were indistinct. She tried to smile back, but her face was not accustomed to the motion. It wavered, faltered, and as she averted her gaze it died away again, swallowed by painful insecurity.

"I didn't... exactly lose it" she mumbled, head bowed as she not quite looked at the stranger. "Sorry... it hit you."

Focusing on the pale little orb, she tugged at it with her will and made it began to roll back towards her, up the gentle slope of the street in casual defiance of physics. With any luck the other girl would not have gotten wet or inconvenienced... but seeing as how poor her luck had been lately there was not much faith behind the wish.
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe was a pretty shy person by nature, so she was always quick to pick up on its cues in others as she recognized them in herself. Of course, for a moment, she was taken by the girl's appearance, but she made sure not to stare. First of all, that would be rude. Second of all, that was probably one of the reasons this girl was shy in the first place. "It's perfectly alright. It's just a snowball after all." she said with a smile, voice light and airy. If someone got upset over a snowball hitting their ankles they were just looking for reasons to be upset in her opinion.

"My name is Phoebe, by the way. I'm a midwife. I don't think I have seen you around before, what's your name?" she asked in her friendly manner. Brown eyes watched as the snowball suddenly rolled the opposite way, going up rather than down the hill. "Oh! You know magic?" she said.
Phoebe
Maea Valair

Change author:
MaeA
A suggestion of ease about the shoulders, and Maea breathed out in relief. No anger, no yelling, and the girl was good at pretending she did not stare. Perhaps she could get through this without too much trouble. Leaning down to pick up the snowball, she began to pick it apart with cold fingers, watching the pieces fall to the ground and reform again - an excuse not to look at the supposed midwife for too long.

"Maea," she replied softly. "I live in the Outskirts... don't come here very often. But..." A pale hand gestured att ge dark sky, where the sun shone with its absence and the sky remained dark despite the brightness of the spark bird.

Daring a closer look at the younger teen, with a squint that did little to help focus Maea's vision, she took in the tall, slender girl from the lovely face to the golden hair, and couldn't help but to ask.

"Aren't you a bit young to be a midwife?"
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
"Maea...that's a pretty name." Phoebe complimented with a smile. It was certainly one she had never heard before. A unique name for a unique person seemed fitting to her.

She lived in the Outskirts? Phoebe assumed that meant she was a Natural since almost all the Outlanders lived in town. But it also meant they might have...well...had now she supposed...similar acquaintances. "The Outskirts? You...don't happen to know the Palmers by chance, do you?" she asked, wondering how well connected the Naturals were. His family had been farmers though, so she would assumed everyone at least knew of them, given their important role in keeping people fed.

Phoebe grinned a little at her blunt, yet unremarkable question. She had heard that a few times before. "I am not too young, but I am a young midwife." she said. "I started apprenticing at age 7 and have been doing the work for ten years now. I was considered to be very accomplished and talented back where I came from." she said, then decided to add, "I keep a clinic in town, should you or anyone you know ever need anything. I don't just help expecting mothers but I can treat various women-specific illnesses or give pregnancy preventing medicines and such."
Phoebe
Maea Valair

Change author:
MaeA
Maea was flattered and rather embarrassed by the compliment, but tried not to let it show. It was a name, holding no real meaning as far as she knew, but her mother had given it to her... so it was precious all the same. A name and her life, that was all the girl had gotten. Perhaps, if someone like Phoebe had been here back then, Maea would have been able to know her mother.

"I'm impressed" she admitted. "Maybe I'll have my brother's wife come in after the night is over. She had three kids already, but a fourth is on the way and I guess it can't really hurt to have help." Though Maea wasn't sure what Lin would say about a girl barely older than her own daughter telling her what was what around the birthing bed. The thought made her lips twitch, a smile ghosting by the corners of her mouth.

As for the Palmers...

"I know the name" she nodded, "and I think I recall them having a son about my age... It's fairly isolated out there, most tend to their own house and only come in here to trade." Family was everything, all that really mattered.

"Why, you know them?"
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe smiled a little as Maea spoke of a sister in law that might be in need of her services, as well as the compliment she was given. ”I would be happy to offer my services should she need them. I’m surprised that there hasn’t been a regular midwife around, if I am honest.” It was a necessary profession, given that bringing the new generation into the world was a common enough life event for women, no matter where they lived. But she supposed what mattered was there being one now to make sure child and mother mortality rates went down.

Maea acknowledged that she at least knew of the Palmers and she nodded a little, a frown ghosting across her lips. ”Ah…yes I was with them at the start of Long Night. One of the sons, Emmett, is by boyfriend. But…” she glanced at the ground with a frown, her look troubled. But all but three were slaughtered. There was no nice or good way to say it, and she knew it would never get easier. But the fact that she stated she had started out Long Night at their home in the Outskirts, and was now here in town indicated that something had gone very wrong.
Phoebe
Maea Valair

Change author:
MaeA
Maea nodded in quiet agreement. To say there vad been no one was going a bit far, as the herbalists and healers were around to lend a hand if necessary, but for the most part women handled things on their own. There vad not been anyone who specialized in the task, though Maea could imagine it made a world of difference.

The way Phoebe trailed off when speaking about the Palmers was telling. Too much so, because the Natural born girl did not need to hear details to know what had happened. Blod drained from her face, turning her skin ashen as she stared at Phoebe, a hand going to the mouth as shock set in.

"Oh, Mort have mercy... The whole family? How did you get away? I'm amazed you made it all the way here!" She had never heard of such a thing before, it was beyond remarkable.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
She didn’t want it to happen, but she couldn’t help it as tears welled up in her eyes. Phoebe nodded quietly to the question. ”All but Emmett and the youngest two, Chris and Milly.” she said quietly, refusing to let her voice shake despite her obvious emotion over it. It was still fresh in her mind, the scene, the screams of the children…it all hurt. But not as much as it hurt Emmett and his siblings she reminded herself, internally chastising herself for her moment of selfishness.

”Luck.” she said quietly. ”We were attacked, but only Emmett was hurt. I was able to drag him from there to the Rathskellar in time… I think the fish Safrin sent me helped.” she said, gesturing to the bright starry fish that swam through the air near her shoulder. ”But we didn’t have another choice but to run. We couldn’t…the house…” she closed her eyes and shook her head. It wasn’t safe by any stretch of the imagination.
Phoebe
Maea Valair

Change author:
MaeA
There wasn't much Maea could say that would help. These things happened every year, though not usually to so many at the same time. But each Longnight someone inevitably ran out of luck, and the only thing anyone could do was to comfort the living, pick up the pieces and carry on.

"I'm glad you four made it at least she said, and came over to touch the taller girl's shoulder in sympathy, shyness forgotten in the face of Phoebe's tragedy. "If ever there is anything I can do to help, just let me know."

Outlander or no, this girl was alright; kind, caring and gentle. Maea could see them becoming friends, if nothing else happened, and the thought cheered her up a little.

"Out for a walk, or were you heading somewhere?" she asked, with a tilt of the head.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe glanced at the girl as she touched her shoulder, smiling a little as she recognized it for the comforting gesture it was meant to be. "Thank you. If...you know anyone who might be in need of work, I know Emmett will need help with the farm." she said. It couldn't really be abandoned. People relied on the food they produced to survive after all.

"Just a walk. A lot has happen and I needed to clear my head." she said quietly. "What about you?" she asked her, curious as to what drew her out.
Phoebe
Maea Valair

Change author:
MaeA
Maea nodded, knowing all too well hos precious the farm and it's produce was. Perhaps the would be able to lend a hand herslef; the Valair farm had enough hands that losing hers for a few hours here and there would make little difference.

"I'll spread the word" she promised, and made a mental note to ask around among the neighbors when she had a chance. Before Long Night was over there was not much anyone could do however, as stepping outside the protective circle of light would suicide.

"Same. Fresh air and... well. I wanted to know what it would feel like, to be outside like this. I've never stepped out during Long Night, not once. It's so strange, and I keep expecting to see... something in the shadows."

She rubbed her arms with icy fingers, pale from cold as much as from natural coloration. The warmth of the Rathskeller was beginning to sound appealing to her again, or at least moving closer to the Bird.

"I should probably head back soon..." she said, hovering somewhat awkwardly... how did you wrap up a conversation without coming across as rude? Phoebe was nice, but Maea was not good at small talk.