{open} Homesick
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 25 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Sineda Offline
Change author:
MP: 410
Things being as they were, Lilliane knew that she shouldn't idle about at the Grounds for too long. Of course she was glad that she had a place to stay there. But if she only remained in one place, she would likely get the same opinions and mindsets from the people she talked to. So for the sake of diversity, she decided to visit some other place today. And Kaiholo port was at least somewhat familiar to her, it being the place where she first landed in this world.

Now that she saw the port during daytime, the atmosphere was certainly different. But that didn't mean she could let her guard down. Not that she had anything worth stealing, but better be safe than sorry.

Strolling around the port, she came to a stop at a wooden railing with a good view on the sea. As she leaned onto the railing and looked out onto the ocean, she almost forgot that this was a different ocean in a different world. Even though her home sure wasn't as tropical as this place.

She sighed. She had said it so easily when talking to Cam. To make the best of what she had now instead of thinking about what could have been. But as usual, it was easier said than done. Too many things left behind, unfinished and never to return.
Lilliane
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Lena
hope is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul
Moments out of Stormbreak were a rarity, but with the sky ports open and utilized, with the day’s work already managed, Lena sought to indulge her curiosities. Content with the way the boats maneuvered, enjoying the wind in her face, relishing the sights and sounds of Torchline up ahead, she wore a light blouse with flowing sleeves, hoping to not so out of place in a world not clinging to stones, traditions, or otherworldly gazes.

By the time everything landed, however, excitement got the better of her, and one could likely see by her widened gaze, staring at the other ships set about the water, feet yearning to dash towards the sands, that she certainly was no Torchliner. The Caretaker set about with a notebook in hand, gaze segmenting immediately to a few Hels in the distance, hastily writing everything down. She’d seen them in the Celestine of course, and cared for them, but it was something else to see them in their natural habitat.

So distracted that she bumped into several people, with apologies at the ready. “So sorry,” she murmured, with a wave of her hand and a sheepish grin, before doing the same thing again, to another woman simply resting on the railing. “My apologies,” was another offering, hoping not to get any other grumpy looks.
and sings the tune without the words
and never stops at all
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 25 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Absentminded as she was at the moment, Lilliane didn't even realize someone else was near until the person bumped into her. Instinctively taking a step away from whoever ran into her, she then took a look at the person. Still, it took a moment for her to really arrive in the here and now, drawn out of her thoughts. "Oh. Um, no worries." With an embarrassed smile and shrug, she added: "I wasn't watching whether I was in the way either, so I guess it's my fault as well."

Taking a closer look at the woman standing in front of her, Lilliane couldn't help to be curious. "Um, if you don't mind me asking, are you some kind of journalist?" She quickly added, "Since you seem to be scribbling notes of some sort." Were journalists and newspapers even a thing in Caido? Well, she was about to find out.
Lilliane
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
When no chiding, lecture, or grumbling came from the stranger, Lena visibly relaxed – a gentle, calm disposition affixed, matched, with an effervescent grin. Even if they were both at fault, nothing seemed to have been amiss, and the conversation could take a curious turn.

Glancing downward at her mentioned notes, the young woman tilted her head vaguely, uncertain about the inquiry. “I’m sorry, I don’t know what a journalist is.” Lifting up her parchment, she gave another smile. “I was writing down some observations on the Hels,” and she pointed upwards, to the birds. For a moment, she merely watched them again, as one seemed intent on irritating a passerby, dipping low, then snagging some form of pastry out of their hands.

Trying not to laugh, she extended her other hand outward. “I’m Lena, from Stormbreak. Who are you?”
and never stops at all
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
"Oh, no worries. I guess that job doesn't exist here then." There was a little shrug accompanying these words. Following Lenas gaze up to the hels, Lilliane couldn't help but chuckle as she watched one steal some pastry from a passerby. Taking the hand Lena offered for a handshake, she said, "I'm Lilliane. From... far away?" She left a short pause during which she let go of Lena's hand again.

Then, glancing up at the hels again, she asked, "So they're called hels? They look kind of similar to seagulls." Gaze returning to Lena, she then continued. "Is there something special about them? Or are you just interested in them?"
Lilliane
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Based on the reactions and inquiries made, Lena could guess the woman before her was an Outlander. Or at best, someone who didn’t hail from Torchline either. Polite and kind, the woman hummed under her breath, casually curious. “What does such a job entail?” Perhaps it was something they were missing from the world.

Her observations were noted anyway in the correct presumptions a moment later; her smile generous and affable. “An Outlander then? Quite a few of you have been dropped here recently. What was your land like?” She curbed her notions about the Voice for another time, not wrinkling her nose, but keeping her features bright, merry, content. Her eyes went back to the Hels, the one ringleader obnoxiously cawing at the rest of its flock as they descended down to the sand, eating the pastry bits. “I’m the Caretaker of the Celestine – which means I look after wounded and sick animals Frey leaves there. I like to make observations of them in their natural state though.” All creatures could be considered special – given their habits, makeup, and part in the realm around them. “They have their purpose, like many other flora and fauna.”
and never stops at all
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
Lilliane wasn't quite sure whether she was glad or not to talk about things from her world. It was familiar, yes. But also reminded her of what was gone. Still, she decided that it would probably be a good thing. "A journalist is someone who researches things and writes them down so they can be publicized in a newspaper." Though, if there were no journalists, there probably weren't newspapers here either. "And a newspaper is basically something that's a few pages of paper filled with articles from one or more journalists. It's different from a book because while books are written to be read for a long time, newspapers usually have current events and new revelations in them. So they are out of date quickly. It's a way for people to quickly catch up with the things that are going on in the area. But more reliable than gossip." Or at least, it should be.

When the questions turned towards her home, Lilliane shrugged. How was she to explain a whole world without starting a big monologue? "Busy. And sometimes, I felt that it was unfair. People having no chance in their future simply because of where or into which family they were born." She shrugged again. "It's kind of difficult to explain the whole world I'm from. Most places I've never even seen myself. But the city I'm from was always busy, many people out and about, though mostly minding their own business. There were also a lot of... unspoken rules would be the right description, I guess. Ways in which to behave to fit in with the rest. But it was also vibrant, a place where many cultures met and a lot of tourists came every year." She thought for a moment before nodding to herself. While it wasn't the most accurate description, she felt that it was the one most true to her.

Looking from Lena to the hels and back, Lilliane smiled. "You seem to really like your job." She paused for a moment to look at the hels again, who still sat and ate, the pastry bits getting less and less. "So you're helping them get back into shape until they can return to nature? Or is it more of a place where they can stay all the time if they want to?"
Lilliane
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Folding her arms across the deck’s timber, eyes following the lines of feathers and wingtips, Lena listened quietly to a world of descriptions, to hues and factions she’d never see. “Hm, so, similar to the notice boards, in a way?” Patchworks of faded parchment underneath the newer dedications and advancements, ranging from gossip to guilds, from destruction and menace to curiosities. Maybe with such tactics, they were all journalists in a way, publishing their findings for the world to see – or merely passersby.

The Caretaker bit her tongue at the semblances of fair – because nothing in Caido seemed to be either. Instead, she tilted her head, gaze flicking back to the notes already hastened down in her neat, detailed scrawl. “And what do you think of Caido so far?” Uncertain of how long this woman had been sent into the wake of the unfamiliar, knowing and understanding that it could be overwhelming. Sometimes just stepping outside the stony walls of Stormbreak was much the same.

At the mention of her occupation, the grin lit up further – effervescent and beaming. “I do. I love it.” She paused, beginning to hum lightly under her breath. “They’re rehabilitated. When they’re healed, they return to the wild.”
and never stops at all
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
Lilliane thought for a moment before she nodded. "In a way, yes. I think the main difference is that many journalists work on a newspaper, and they check each other's works to make sure there are no errors and it's facts, not subjective opinions. At least that's how it should be." Alas, it wasn't always like this. "But I think the notice boards are special in another way. Because they don't just give you the facts. They give you an idea of how the people in the area think."

Giving an overall impression of Caido seemed an even more daunting task than to give one of Lillianes own world. "To be honest, I'm not sure yet. I haven't been here for long, and there are so many places I haven't been to yet. And so few people I have met." Giving Lena a wide smile, she continued: "Like Stormbreak. I don't even know what the place or the people living there are like, so how could I have an opinion on them?" Now, there was a shrug. "All I know about Stormbreak is what other people have told me."

Which tied in neatly to the topic of Lena's work. "Is the Celestine open to visitors? I'd really like to take a look at the place, but I don't want to disturb the animals." She made a slight pause. "Do you have something like little areas to mimic the natural environment of the animals, or are there rooms?"
Lilliane
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
Lena’s hums persisted, taking on a merry tune, a watchful eye on the Hels as they consumed the rest of the pastry, as she hastened the back and forth on thoughts. “They certainly do,” and she smiled, thinking of some of the ridiculous notions placed upon the sanctions recently. Worth a read anyway, depending on the subjectivity.

Lilliane’s hesitation on giving a forthright answer surrounding Caido was a safe, guarded, and understood one – so Lena permitted another soft smile. As the Hels took flight once more, likely to irritate and bombard another poor passerby, the young woman pondered over what was conveyed. “That’s why I said so far,” and she winked. “Even as a Natural, I have not been everywhere.” Like the Draig. Or the Hollowed Grounds. “But we form opinions based on our experiences, and you are allowed to come view Stormbreak for yourself.” Maybe it was a matter of pride, encouraging strangers to wander into the midst, but it shouldn’t be left up to rumors and hearsay alone.

As for the Celestine? The beaming grin reappeared. “It’s always open to visitors. You can see the animals as well, though I do give fair warning about getting too close or going within the enclosures, if I’m not around.” She’d known several to do so regardless – with varying circumstances. “Frey creates what they need for a habitat.”
and never stops at all
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
I know I'm just a girl, but can I change lives?
True. One could probably never see everything there was to a world. Acknowledging the notion with a nod, Lilliane replied. "So far, I think it's a sad place. Because there are so many remarkable and beautiful things, but people don't notice it. Because they focus on the darkness looming over them. And because they hate what they don't understand." Something that might be true for both sides, as far as she was aware.

"I was planning to. There's so much to see that I can't do it all at once, but I plan to visit Stormbreak soon." For a moment, she looked out to the ocean, lost in thought. Slightly shaking her head, she then said: "I guess I'm also a bit worried about what I might find there."

Though now, there was one thing she was looking forward to. "I'll make sure to visit the Celestine once I am in Stormbreak." Lilliane looked at Lena with a smile. "Now I also understand why you write down so much about the animals. I imagine it's very difficult to take care of an animal you don't know anything about."
If I am nothing, if I am trying, I think I can
Lilliane
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
The words hit her in a way she didn’t expect, losing the smile, some portions of her dimming. “It is difficult to see past the war. Before the announcement last year, a majority of the world was just as you said – and could recognize the beauty in everything.” She took a breath, eyes following the flock of Hels overhead, intermingling along the entanglements of wind. “I suppose we should appreciate every moment then,” and here the grin reappeared, though it didn’t reach her eyes.

Her head tilted vaguely at some…other insinuations about the land she loved and cherished. A child of Stormbreak, aware of its faults and flaws, but also every wondrous addition, could only ponder the meaning without some manner of defense beginning to build and brim in her chest. “What do you mean?” Her gaze settled upon Lilliane now, a brow arching to follow the inquiry.

The sentiments calmed a little at the mention of the Celestine again, indulgent as ever when her favorite subject remained. “And there are quite a few of them. With new ones discovered often.”
and never stops at all
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
I know I'm just a girl, but can I change lives?
Lilliane nodded, remaining silent for a moment. "Appreciating every moment is a good thought." She furrowed her brows, not angry but rather thoughtful. "I... understand that the gods, both old and new, are very important to the people in Caido. But everyone preparing for war just because it was announced that there would be one... Especially since most people don't even seem to want that war. They hate the thought, but they still accept it as a fact that the war will happen. It's sad. I know I'm not in a position to reason with gods. I'm just a normal person. I'm new here and I don't understand this world yet. But I feel like I have to do... something. Because as it is now, everyone seems unhappy." At the end of her monologue, she took a deep breath.

Looking over to Lena and noticing the arched eyebrow, Lilliane smiled slightly. Although it seemed to be a sad smile. "You see, most people I had a long talk to until now were Ascended. So far, I've seen only one side of the whole topic." Her gaze went over to a skyboat, currently setting off, maybe towards Stormbreak. "I don't think all the people in Stormbreak are bad. People aren't black and white like that. But I'm worried that the hatred towards the Ascended and the followers of the Voice might be worse than I think." There was a slight pause, then a sigh. "I'm also worried that I might hear things about the Ascended that change my opinion about them. So far, the ones I met were really nice. They offered me a place to stay and explained a lot of things to me. Some of them I'd really like to talk more to, maybe even become friends at some point. But what if, in Stormbreak, I hear something about them that I can't accept?" she admitted.

In some way, she felt better now. Her troubling thoughts put into words. Into something she could tackle. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bother you with my troubles."
If I am nothing, if I am trying, I think I can
Lilliane
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
that perches in the soul
“It is the god’s will,” by way of explanation at first, her smile dutifully sad, eyes flickering out over the horizon, where she could watch waves meet the sky. Better thoughts and better dreams, not coated in these undulations of future sorrow and anguish. “What would you do?” Defy them? And where would that lead? For Lena had always been taught not to do such a thing – the notions would never have crossed her mind.

Ah, Ascended. They would certainly have something to say about Stormbreak. “I haven’t spoken to many Ascended either.” Not when her whole life had been within walls and stones, amongst stories and legends, truths and pitfalls. “Then you will need to decide for yourself. Like you said, people are not black and white.” She inclined her head, amber gaze flicking back to Lilliane, shrugging her shoulders. Her opinions were foundational, rooted from the start, children told the twisted, knotted, gnarled proportions of the Voice. “But you probably should hear the other side as well. Then make a choice.”
and never stops at all