but I always thought I'd see you again
Sam
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my whole life is mine, but whoever says so will deprive me,
for it is infinite.
Amun wasn't fully recovered from his ordeal, as evidenced by the leanness of his frame and the distant look in his eyes. Still, at least he was functional, bathed, and clothed in something other than rags. He stood outside the door to Wordsworth books for a few minutes, though, before he lifted one hand to rap on the door.

Then he pushed his way inside, Zhanshi literally nipping at his heels. The potter only made it a few steps before he halted, frozen, motionless in the doorway. Eventually, his mouth opened and he called out in a raspy voice, "Red? You...you in here?" He stayed completely still, not even breathing.
by being moved I exert my empire,
making the dreams of night real
AMUN
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
there's an ocean in my body
there's a river in my soul
Sam was working in the back room of the shop - a small space barely more than a closet that held books that had broken or been damaged and held various documents about the inventory. He was leaned up against the wall, trying to write something with a half-inked pen on an old sheet on transactions, when he heard the door open. "Just a mome-" He began to say, but then the voice that he heard really registered.

It was strained and tired, but he could have sworn it was Amun's voice. Immediately dropping the pen and paper Sam rushed into the main room, stopping in the middle with a face frozen with surprise. "Amun?!" The word was barely past his lips when he was in front of the door, pulling Amun into a hug immediately, unable to even think of doing anything else. "Where have you been?! I thought you were dead!"
if I see a sign in the sky tonight
No one's gonna tell me it's a trick of the light
SAMuEL
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
for it is infinite.
As Samuel rushed towards Amun, the potter tensed, with just his head swiveling towards the other man. Zhanshi circled around towards the bookmaker, but Amun shifted to block his companion with one foot. The landshark dove towards the street outside instead, making small furrows in the earth.

There were a long few moments before the potter responded to the redhead. Then Amun bent his arms just at the elbow and returned the hug without leaning into the other man at all. "Close to," the potter admitted in a whisper.

Stepping back, he let his hands fall to his sides again. "I was...exploring the wilds. A cave. There was a cave-in." He flinched as he explained his absence, rubbing his right thumb against his palm.
AMUN
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Sam didn't notice Amun not returning the embrace fully, too wrapped up in the sheer joy of seeing him alive. He'd lost so many in the last years and often they had just disappeared, never to be seen again, presumed dead but with the lingering doubt always there. When he parted from Amun's chest his eyes and cheeks were wet, Sam rubbing at them with the back of his sleeve.

"Oh, Gods...on your own? How did you escape?!" He asked, gently taking Amun's hand and leading him into the bookshop, going on instinct to set up a kettle for tea even though neither of them needed the fluids. Worried eyes glanced up at Amun regularly as he went about this task, Sam not even sure he wanted to hear the story.
SAMuEL
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Looking away from Sam's tears, Amun released the other man. The potter's hands flexed and relaxed a few times before he brought them to rest at his sides. Examining the inside of the shop, Amun's eyes lingered on the once familiar shelves and cozy interior. "I...clawed my way out. Dug. And dug. And...dug. Until I hit the surface."

He shivered, before brushing past the redhead to a nearby seat. The potter sank into it. Resting his hands on the arms, he rubbed his palms against it before they flopped into his lap instead. "I had Zhanshi, at least. Otherwise..." his voice trailed off as his gaze traveled towards the door, beyond which his companion tunneled.
AMUN
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
"Oh. Oh...Gods." As the reality of what Amun said really descended on him, Sam shook his head lately, unsure if there was anything he could even begin to say that was appropriate for this situation. What Amun described was unlike anything he'd ever experienced, something nightmarish and almost ludicrously dark. "I'm...sorry." It felt limp and not enough even as it left his lips.

Messing around with the kettle and cups more than he needed to, just wanting something to do with his hands, Sam looked at the door and nodded. "Well, you...must be very glad to be back, then? It's nice that you came to see me. I...was very worried, about you, this whole time. I asked Wessex where you'd gone and she didn't know, and with the Order around nowadays, I assumed..." He shrugged, not wanting to say it.

"I wish I had good things to tell you that have happened in the meantime." Between the coming war, the Ascended deaths, the very recent disappearance of the Voice (yes, he gained a power, but he never felt settled when their Goddess was gone)...it was not a comforting time.
SAMuEL
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Amun shook his head at Samuel's apology, though the potter didn't look at the bookmaker. "Not your fault." As Amun spoke his gaze bored into the wall in front of him.

However, he stirred as the redhead continued speaking. The potter twisted so he could watch the other man. Amun frowned at Sam's words, though. "It is good to be back...even if it doesn't seem quite real yet." The potter shrugged, shifting to prop himself up on one elbow.

"I'm happy to be the good news. For now, at least," he responded with a sigh. "I guess the Order has been attacking us, then? I haven't really gotten a full update yet. Anything pressing I should know?"
AMUN
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Sam thought about pointing out that 'I'm sorry' in this context didn't really mean it was his fault, but...he didn't, sensing it really wasn't the right kind of moment. The way that Amun stared ahead, the dullness in his eyes: it was more than a little unsettling.

"I'm sure it doesn't, but I assure you you're here. Next time you need to go anywhere dangerous...I'll come with you, if you'd have me. I know I'm not the most adventurous type, but I do have some skills. Maybe I could help..." He wasn't sure how he would have helped with a cave in, but perhaps he could have at least gotten away and told others, or something like that. Pulling the kettle off the rack and pouring out two cups of tea (a light blend for Longheat, fresh and with a little fruit in it), he sighed at Amun's question.

Sam was not fully up to date on the Order's crimes, but he knew tensions had been growing. "You'd have to ask Wessex for the full details, but I know there's been...altercations. Ascended are moving to the Grounds out of fear of what might happen to them in other places - Halo has announced it is remaining neutral in the war, but Torchline seems like it won't." Coming up to the table and placing down the cups of tea, he sat down himself. "I don't really feel like we're any more ready than we were the last time I saw you, but time still goes on and war seems more and more likely."
SAMuEL
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Shaking his head, Amun plastered a smile onto his face as he turned to face Sam once more. "Thanks. I appreciate that, and I might just take you up on that." The potter took the cup of tea with a nod and curled his fingers around it. "Even just having you there would've made a difference. And don't sell yourself short." Taking a sip, he let out a sigh.

"She shared some details, but I was curious to hear your thoughts." Grimacing, his grip on the mug tightened until his fingers were white knuckled. "Well you look good, regardless of the state of the world," he assured the redhead, throwing in a wink for good measure.
AMUN
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
"If you need me in the future, just ask." Sam said earnestly, trying to turn the regret and horror in his chest into a more useful determination to do better by Amun the next time he was in any kind of danger. As he had become stronger and more capable in the last years, he'd realised his obligations to protect the rest of the Ascended were greater than he had imagined.

Sam's thoughts? He let out a nervous laugh, his fingers tightening a little around his cup. "Oh, you don't want to know half of my thoughts. I've spent most of the last year terrified the next person to come through that door is going to kill me....though it hasn't happened yet, obviously. I...I guess I'm just scared. I wish I had an answer to all of it, but I don't. I know we'll have to fight - the Order and the Old Gods seem to be ramping up their efforts to harm us and soon it'll be too much." Staring at his reflection in the tea, once again wondering just what he could do, Sam was taken off-guard by the sudden flirt and wink.

"Ah, all that time away and you still kept the smooth words, hm?" He smiled, flicking his eyes up to Amun and shaking his head with a fond huff of laughter.
SAMuEL
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Amun just nodded at Sam's repeated insistence. As the bookmaker talked about his fears, the potter's eyes flicked to the door. Taking a sip from the tea, he hummed a low note. "I feel like I told you before...before, that you're stronger than you give yourself credit for," he reminded the red head.

Amun straightened up in the chair with a smile. "I think you could take on anyone looking for trouble that came through the door, if you had a mind to do it. And there's plenty of help in the Hollowed Ground, at least."

Letting out a bark of laughter, he shrugged. "Not much to do besides dig and practice what I was going to say if I ever got out," he admitted. Pausing, he added, "And thinking about the future...that I might have one, that kept me going." Sighing, he shook his head.
AMUN
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
"Maybe. Maybe more so, actually, since I last saw you...the Voice gave each of us a gift, not too long ago. If I look someone in the eyes - and I want to - I can defend myself. Do them harm." It was an ironic gift for the eternal shy Sam, who had only learnt to meet people's eyes within the last couple of years, but he was grateful for something to use in dire situations. "Don't worry though. You're safe." He said with a grin, turning his gaze up to look at Amun.

As much as Amun's torture of the last year was horrifying to think of, it did make Sam smile to imagine him making up flirtatious lines during it. Sipping his tea then moving it down to his lap with a thoughtful gaze at the floor, lips pressed together in thought, he finally asked: "And now that you're back, what do you want that future to look like?"
SAMuEL
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
for it is infinite.
Amun grinned. "Lucky for you. And sorry I missed the presents. I'll have to remember to avoid eye contact if we ever argue." Winking at Sam, the potter did actually meet the bookmaker's gaze. Nodding at the other man, Amun forced his shoulders to relax as he leaned back in the chair.

Pausing, he looked down into his cup and swirled the tea around a few times. When he responded, the words were soft. "I need to learn more about the present, I think. But...I'd like to reopen my shop. And the Guild, if there's interest."

Shrugging, he took a sip before looking up again. "As for the rest of it? I want things to be normal. Or as normal as they can be, under the circumstances. Maybe pick up where I left off..." His voice trailed off at the end as he found himself looking away again. "You?"
AMUN
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Sam laughed quietly, rolling his eyes. "I think I'm going to struggle to use it against anyone who actually does pose a threat." He'd never been violent; even when he'd had a weapon, using it was never easy.

Hearing that Amun had plans, to reopen his shop and his guild, made his smile wider. "Oh, that's good. Getting back to life as normal, having things to do...I'm sure that'll help you a lot. With adjusting back to normal. Things in the Grounds aren't...great, but you should be able to get enough members for your guild. If you'll have me again, I'd be glad to join." It had been nice to be a part of something, to have his talents recognised.

He wasn't expecting the turn back to himself. For a moment Sam's heart skipped a beat as he tried to tease out Amun's meaning in his head. Deciding he was just asking what Sam's ideas for the future was, he shrugged too. "I'm sure Wessex has plenty of plans for me. I'm just going to try and survive and help the people around me do the same. Lofty goals can wait until all this trouble is over, I think."
SAMuEL