{o} riffraff, street rat
Soleil Lovi
Adv

Age: 20 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 2 - Int:
DIANA - Regular - Arctic Wolf
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Soleil

Soleil may know a little bit more about the world now with Maeve’s and the working girls’ teachings, but she is still a child whose instincts and former way of life directly oppose the rules and social niceties of this new one she finds herself in. It’s likely a good thing she’s adorable because it allows her more leniency when she snaps or snarls.

Leniency that is stretched to the limit as she races away from the stall merchant chasing her down the beach, screaming profanities at her back. It shouldn’t be possible for a little girl to outrun a full grown man - in fact Sol is only capable of it because of the way she weaves between unfortunate pedestrians - but it’s clear she won’t manage it for long.

Sure enough she gets snatched up by the back of her dress, held aloft like a pup by the nape as the puce-faced merchant hollers. Reaching for her ill-gotten goods of smoked meat that she clasps to her chest and folds her entire body around, snapping her blunt, useless teeth at him. “It’s mine! Let go of me!” The merchant’s face deepens in color, outraged but clearly hesitant to get much more violent. “Give it up, you thief! You have nothing to trade!” Which is true, but Soleil has found nothing to hunt either, and her new body is useless at stalking the hels she’s able to find. The Halenani girls feed her and Luka, but she feels the instinctual urge to provide food for her brother waiting back at their temporary home.
everyone around her seemed brighter and better
for having known her
Paige Berkley

Age: 22 | Height: 5' 3" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 9 - Int: 0
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Paige

Paige isn't sure what draws her down to the beach that day. Not that she really needs a reason. She's hot and the sun is shining and there is little else to aside from get into trouble. Something the Attuned is very good at. Paige has managed to keep out of trouble for the most part. Only because she hasn't gone looking for it yet. She's not even sure she plans to until there is a sudden commotion on the beach that has nothing to do with frolicking in the water.

Blue eyes snap towards the direction as her instincts urge her to investigate, but there isn't much need for it with the way the shop keeper bellows and rages. Recognizing the girl from around the Halenani, having seen her with Maeve, she is quick to abandone her shady spot to jog over instead. "There you are! You had me and Auntie Maeve worried!" Paige drops the Queen's name pointedly, giving the merchant a sharp look as she slips her backpack from her shoulders, digging around for something to trade.

She finds a few spare bracelets she's made, tossing them towards his chest as she narrows icy eyes at him, "There. Trade's a trade. You can put her down now."
Life was a willow and it bent right to your wind
They count me out time and time again
Soleil

Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by:
Change author:
MP: 0
Soleil

Soleil does not intend to give up her stolen prize, not until the man rips it from her arms directly. Even as she cowers she hugs tighter around the meat until every tiny muscle is strained. The man gives a shake of her dress, and she ragdolls around in his grip, human vocals garbled with a growl that grows louder threateningly. She can’t reach around to bite him but he hasn’t retrieved the meat either - and so they’re at an impasse, Sol’s heart beating thunder in her ears.

And then her savior appears like a whirlwind, a familiar small figure that looks a lot like Soleil’s new frame. The man pales at the mention of Maeve’s name, and the associated relation. Eyes darting down to the clearly-not-related child in his grasp as if weighing the pros and cons of believing the other girl. He doesn’t get the chance to try and refute Paige - the bracelets tossed his way make him fumble, and with a sharp little wriggle Soleil drops out of his hand and lands with a staggering thump on the sand. She skitters immediately behind Paige, her cloudlike hair the only bit of her poking out as she presses herself along the other girl’s spine. Heart rabbiting so hard she’s sure her rescuer can hear it.

“Don’t let me catch her sniffin’ round again without somethin’ to barter!” the man growls impotently, clearly wanting the last word but unwilling to go toe-to-toe with Paige - either she’s familiar enough to warrant trepidation, or the frowning faces turned his way are inspiring a bit of guilt. He stomps away with the bracelets shoved into his pocket.

Soleil waits a few long moments before she nuzzles into the back of Paige’s clothes, whining soft and low. “Is he gone?” It’s a whisper, though still loud enough to be heard from behind.
for having known her
Paige Berkley

Age: 22 | Height: 5' 3" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Paige

Paige might be a child, but she doesn't put up with bullies. Whether they were children or adults. Soleil rushes behind her, pressing tight against her back as she trembles, still clinging to her prize. The Attuned narrows her eyes in challenge, lip curling in an almost snarl as she puffs up her chest, "Maybe instead of being a big, fat jerk who picks on little kids that don't know about trading you teach them instead. I doubt that the Queen would be too happy to hear how you treat kids who don't know no better." The youth quips, making her voice nice and loud so passer byes can hear exactly what is happening here.

He stomps away and Paige lifts her chin defiantly, satisfied with herself at putting him in his place, huffing a breath before she's shifting gears entirely to focus on the scared girl behind her. Paige makes a soft noise at the whine that's released into her back, turning slowly to draw the other girl into a comforting hug, dropping her chin on top of her head the same way that her mother often does to her when she's hurt. "Yeah, he's gone. You don't have to worry about him anymore." Paige soothes, rubbing gently circles into the spot between her shoulders, urging them to relax.

Finally she draws back, giving her a reassuring smile, "You really gave him a fight, though." The Attuned chuffs her under the chin as she winks. "I doubt he'll mess with you again. You do have to be careful out there. Some people are a lot worse than him." She warns, giving her a stern look, much like that of an older sibling.
Soleil

Played by:
Change author:
Soleil

It's clear the man wants to spit something back, chin wobbling with suppressed rage and indignity at being talked down to by a child. As the crowd folds in slightly around the two, subtle and sharp the way all Torchers are, it's clear he'd rather forego a little pride and keep his hide intact if the way he mutters his insults too low to be meaningful and turns away is any indication. Soleil listens intently to the sound of his feet in the sand as they retreat, cursing the pitiful range of her strange human ears.

As Paige turns and wraps her in a hug though, Sol thinks maybe the benefits of humanity outweigh the disadvantages, because her entire body goes boneless and pliant as she's hauled close. Round, full nose pressing into Paige's paler skin to snuffle into her neck, memorizing her scent and comforting herself simultaneously as she leans in. Were her hands not occupied with her ill-gotten spoils, she would be hugging the girl back, but the tap beneath her chin as they part makes Soleil grin with too-wide lips that show the gleam of her teeth, amber eyes a shot of color above happily scrunched cheeks. "I did," she preens, proud despite it being her own fault she ended up in this mess. "Thank you for saving me, you were super cool," she gushes, awed and smiling.

Though Paige's advice has her nodding solemnly, natural fro bouncing. Frowning down at the meat in her hands, Soleil awkwardly hunches her shoulders. "I just...we've got no Alpha now, and Mum and Mommy are..." her voice wobbles alongside her chin, and she stubbornly wipes at her eyes before they can get too filled with tears. "I gotta help take care of Luka." She's not sure how else to explain it. The Halenani girls take care of the twins as a collective, but Soleil feels like she has to step up.
for having known her
Paige Berkley

Change author:
Paige

The younger girl's smile is infectious and Paige doesn't hesitate to return it, a laugh rising in her throat as she gazes down at her, a faint flush rising on her cheeks at the praise. She doesn't usually hear such things. Most of the time her tenacity gets her in trouble which, as far as she knows, is the opposite of praise. The young Attuned lifts her shoulders in a shrug, tugging on the straps of her backpack, "It was nothing. Us Halenani kids look out for each other. It's just how it goes." Paige says, attempting to play it off even if she is a bit proud of herself.

That feeling is quickly replaced with one of concern as Sol's chin wobbles along with her voice, the threat of tears obvious as she stands there clutching her stolen meal, stirring an instinct in Paige that she's not sure she's felt many times before. The Attuned reaches forward, gently brushing away the tears, shushing her quietly. "Hey, it's okay. You're being a good sister helping to take care of your brother." She reassures, knowing that the younger girl can't help the way she worries about her brother. Paige can't really blame her. That was family.

"I have an idea... We can go hunt for shells and pearls. That way you have stuff to trade with. Then you can get even more stuff for you guys." She suggests with a soft smile. Who could resist playing on the beach? Paige certainly couldn't.
Soleil

Played by:
Change author:
Soleil

Soleil’s head bobs in eager, unquestionable acceptance of this new law. Trusting and accepting of nearly everything at face value in this strange new world. Halenani habitants stick together - it’s a new foundation stone for her life. And it’s clearly more than empty words as Paige reaches forward without hesitation to wipe away Sol’s tears with gentle fingers. Soleil leans into the touch, eyes closed and face upturned like a young pup seeking affection. The touch alone helps quell the tears, but the assurances go a long way to soothing the turmoil beneath.

Nodding, not quite trusting her words just yet, Soleil wipes her eyes roughly and blinks quickly to try and compose herself. Shell hunting sounded really fun, and it had no place for tears. Cheeks a little ruddy still and eyes bright but at least tear-free, Soleil musters a smile and reaches automatically for Paige’s hand, the way she always does with Luka. “Okay. Where’s the best place?” Complacent and trusting, ready to be led onward wherever the girl takes her. And, though she knows the girl in passing, Soleil realizes she doesn’t know her name. “I’m Soleil. What’s your name?”
for having known her
Paige Berkley

Change author:
Paige

Sol seems to take her words to heart, tucking them away and holding on tightly to what they meant. The Attuned smiles brightly down at her as she takes that deep breath, putting on her brave face as she wipes away her tears, intent on shaking away any lingering unease. Paige gives her hand a squeeze, not minding the way she reached for it, allowing her to hold on as tightly as she wishes to. "I know a place where there are a bunch of tidepools. Shells always collect in there after high tide." The explanation comes simply, a smile curling on her lips as she looks down at the shorter girl, leading her along the coast.

"That's a really pretty name. I'm Paige." Her own name is given in return as they meander down the coast, heading closer to the water's edge. "How old are you?" She seems much younger than herself, but it doesn't really matter. She's more curious than anything. After a few minutes of walking, the girl comes to a stop by a downed tree, dropping her backpack unceremoniously onto the weathered trunk. "Alright, here we go! See all those little pools? That's where we'll find the shells."
Soleil

Played by:
Change author:
Soleil

Paige’s smile is warmer than the sun overhead could ever hope to be, reaching that cold place inside that no rays could ever melt. The part that aches and throbs with each moment she spends wondering where her family is, tormented by the last moments she recalls of them. Luka is her other half, as he has always been, but Paige’s hand squeezing hers back firmly puts something to rights in Soleil that she doesn’t need to know the details of to be able to appreciate.

“Paige,” she parrots, voice warm and overflowing with immediate adoration as she lets herself be guided along like a boat on a string. Happy to float along in the current of Paige’s wake, wherever it may take her. “I don’t know. Older than I was at home,” her words come slow and uncertain. “Seven, I think?” (At this time she is). It feels right. Maybe it’s The Voice, letting her know in some way as a gift after portaling her in. Whatever the cause, it’s the only answer she has.

They arrive quicker than expected, and Sol is a little reluctant to drop Paige’s hand, but the area is secluded and peaceful and the promise of shells is enough to coerce her into that small measure of independence. Scrambling nimbly up the log, she peers over at the tide pool and gasps with delight. “Wow! There’s so many!” Slithering down the other side of the log she lands in the shallow pools with a splash, scarcely daring to blink. “We didn’t have shells at home. Only snow!” And ice and other beautiful fractals of course, but nothing so delightfully fun as seashells.
for having known her
Paige Berkley

Change author:
Paige

It wouldn't be until much later in life that Paige would realize how pivotal a moment this would be for both of them. Paige not realizing that this would later be a foundational building block for them. That her connection she's forming with Soleil right now would last beyond anything else that could possibly sprout up in this world. She smiles down at Soleil as she repeats her name back to her. "Yeah, that's right." The way she says it, warm and full of love, it has her smiling brightly all over again.

"Seven seems about right." Paige says with a nod, looking down at her again, "I'm ten." At least, she would be for a month or so longer. Her birthday was coming up soon. Paige lets her hand go as they approach the tide pools, letting her climb up onto the log though her brows knit with worry, concern that she might slip and tumble. She didn't want to her to get hurt.

Paige grins as she watches Sol look down into the tide pools below, moving to climb up beside her, "And there are more here everyday." She says easily, watching as Sol jumps down into the tide pool without a care in the world, making her giggle as the water splashed up onto her. "We don't really get snow in Torchline, but there is a lot of it in Halo."
Soleil

Played by:
Change author:
Soleil

Ten seems so far away, but there’s no jealousy in Soleil’s heart. It is a seed that doesn’t grow well in the verdant soil of her soul. Instead there is only amber eyes that go wide with appreciation, and a deepening of the trust she places without doubt in the older girl. Paige is older, and therefore wiser - she will keep Soleil safe. The logic seems flawless to Sol.

“No wonder you’re so cool,” she giggles behind her free hand, dimples popping in her grinning cheeks as they cross the sands to their destination. Unaware of the worry with which Paige watches her climb the log, she splashes down into the water on the other side and begins hunting for shells immediately. They are all so beautiful to her, strange and new as they are. Even the broken ones, passed aside by any other Torchline child, find their way into her reverent hands to be stroked and examined. “We didn’t have sand, or warm oceans. They were either icy on top or so cold you couldn’t even stand on the shore!” She shares the memories eagerly, forgetting for a moment that she will never see those snowy beaches again. Plucking a particularly large conch she turns to display it to Paige with wide eyes. “Why is it so big?!”
for having known her
Paige Berkley

Change author:
Paige

Paige laughs, bright and airy, feeling like a warm summer breeze that stirs up your hair and tickles your nose with the salt it brings with it. "Is that what makes me cool? Being older?" The girl asks, arching a brow as she cocks her head to the side, letting her feet swing after she yanks off her shoes, toes skimming the top of the water in the tide pool. Paige doesn't follow her into the pool, content to watch her plunge her hands into the waters, producing shell after shell. "That sounds really neat. A lot like Halo." Had she already mentioned Halo? Yeah, she had and perhaps it's foreshadowing in a way. Little did Paige know that her new best friend would disappear into the snowy landscape to be out of reach for the coming seasons.

"That's a conch shell. Sometimes you find them with snails inside. It's where they live. Besides the ocean, of course." It's easy to provide the information, having been taught it by her own mother. Still, the light and wonder in Sol's eyes is endearing in a way she doesn't fully understand. "That one looks like it's empty. You can keep it."
Soleil

Played by:
Change author:
Soleil

“No!” Soleil is adamant and quick to object, head shaking until her curls are a veritable cyclone around her face. She squeezes Paige’s hand tighter as if to chase away some perceived offense she has created in her own mind. “You're cool because you chased that guy away without even doing anything! But…but being older means you’ve had more time to be cool.” It’s the best way she can explain it, but Soleil is adamant that Paige understands her coolness is inherent.

Halo is a foreign word to her, and she turns from where she’s ankle deep in the water to tilt her head at the other girl, inquisitive now that it has been mentioned twice. “What’s a Halo?” The sound of the word is pleasant and easy, unlike ‘Torchline’. But even that curiosity can’t hold her back from the seashells for long, scampering closer to Paige when the girl begins to explain so that she can look up at her from the base of the log and know they’re closer.

“I can keep them? she gasps, color suffusing her lovely brown cheeks with a sudden flood of excitement. “But I thought we were going to trade them?” Even if the shells seem far more exciting than the meat in her little side bag, despite being far more useless.
for having known her
Paige Berkley

Change author:
Paige

Paige laughs as her curls go flying around her face, giving her hand a little squeeze before she reaches out to boop her on the nose. "He was just a big bully." She says with a roll of her eyes, disdain curling around her words, making them sharp enough to cut. It wasn't directed at her and that much was clear when her expression softens all over again to look back down at her. "I guess it does mean that, though. You're absolutely right." She pats her cheek, lifting her chin up and giving her a little grin before she draws her hand back again.

Sol goes back into the tide pool, intent on finding more treasure in the shallow depths, Paige hums softly at the question. "It's not a what, but a where." She corrects gently, "It's the region across the mountains from us. It sounds a lot like your old home." Snowy with seas covered in ice and mountains surrounding the edges of the region. Paige hadn't ever been there herself, but she would some day. She had plans to go everywhere.

"We'll have enough that you can do both. I thought that you might like to keep some for your room. To decorate it. We could use some to make windchimes or a dreamcatcher." Both things that the Attuned herself had done to decorate her space. "I'll help you if you want."