Personal Quest [se] chasing horizon lines
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
if you don't terrify people a little then what's the point
It didn’t take long for the guild to have their first request placed upon the bulletin board – within a matter of days the notice indicated a voracious spirit in the midst of King’s End. Ordinarily, the Sword might not have bothered with it, placing it along the hordes of other creatures that could simply be left alone, remaining not a threat to anyone. However, the increased likelihood of another being harmed or injured seemed to have increased with people coming and going along the barrows, until this concerned citizen had enough.

Gathering the multitude of familiar, friendly faces that comprised the current membership, he read over the note again for their ears. “There is a daemon guarding a barrow in King’s End. Probably a griffin,” and he purposefully didn’t glance Noah or Hotaru’s way, considering the basis of companions. “It sounds like it has become overly hostile and dangerous to passersby.” A residual sigh tucked its way into his lungs, and then he consulted the notebooks they had already gathered. “According to some of our text, their wounds can be deadly, so, if you would like to go, please consider what you want to bring for weapons and necessities.” The armory was open and available to all of them, and though he’d need to go back through it at some point, the armaments, armor, and shields were more than ready to be snagged. “We will make preparations, and then depart.”

Acknowledging each of them with a nod, Deimos set about collecting his own things and companions for the journey ahead.

--

The maiden voyage itself wasn’t labored by anything but the waiting heat of the sun – Zuriel and Belial trekked along valiantly while the score of them lingered on the edges of King’s End. Consulting the map and route he’d been given, his head eventually lifted back across the field, gazing upon one particular barrow in the distance, some meters still ahead.

Turning back to his compatriots, he arched a brow, a plan already forming in his mind, but eager to see what the rest thought. “I would like to lure it out, but not put any of us at risk. Any ideas?”

--

This is a Monster Hunter’s Guild hunt for a Daemon! This will count towards your SEs!

Arrive with the rest of the guild members at King’s End! Please list what your character will be bringing, and if they have any thoughts about how to lure the Daemon out.

Deimos is bringing his bag of holding, containing weapons, bandages, canteens of water, rope, and food. Belial and Zuriel are also coming along.

1. Cordelia
2. Sah
3. Noah
4. Hotaru
DEIMOS
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 3215
yet my blood renders me a King
Sah's brow furrowed at the mention of the creature being a daemon. He'd heard of them and glancing at Lilly beside him, he felt a pang in his chest. The creature's mere existence was rather sad and the Abandoned hoped that they could dispatch of it as painlessly as possible. The former companion had likely already been through enough given that it had yet to pass on. On Deimos' word, Sah went and packed up his necessities. His hunting gear and sword, as well as some light armor from the armory were the primary things amongst some survival basics and rations.

Once packed, Sah returned and considered their options. "I know daemons are spirits, but do they eat? If so, we could lure it out with food. Otherwise maybe we can use a training dummy. It might attack it before it realizes that it's not an actual person?" His voice carried his uncertainty over the ideas, but Sah figured he might as well throw them out there.

Sah brings Lilly, all items in his profile, hunting gear (rope, bedroll, bandages, water canteen, flint/steel, daggers,) rations, and he grabs some light armor from the armory. He suggests luring the daemon with food (if they eat) or using a training dummy to trick it into coming out to attack.
Sah
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
I could take all that you love, I could be death from above
Though she’d not been present for the rebuilding of the guild’s new domain, Hotaru does not intend to miss out on their first official hunt after the move to Torchline. Even when faced with the reality of the creature’s existence, the maiden never flinches. At least, not outwardly. It is a nerve made even more raw by the cloud of Ludo’s quest hanging over her head like the shadow of a guillotine blade. Despite how close to home this hunt will be, the Valkyrie hopes it will distract her sufficiently from the long, slow progress ahead.

Sah is a familiar face, and Ru touches her hand to his elbow briefly in greeting, a flash of a smile like a struck match on her lips. Fading out before anyone else can notice it. King’s End is as familiar as Halo to her by now with how often she has scoured its lands. Gazing out over the horizon, she lends one ear to the conversation at hand, the other turned inward to her own thoughts.

“If it’s guarding the barrow, antagonizing it even from a distance could lure it more into the open. Is anyone capable of illusions or distanced attacks?” There’s no sense in mentioning her own. Sure, she could use her lightning, but that would likely send it backwards  up the barrow to higher ground they couldn’t afford to lose.

- - -

Hotaru brings all her items and a pack with provisions and light camping gear.
HOTARU
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Considering their words, Deimos pondered over the likelihood of proceedings. His eyes firmly on the distant expanse, watching for any sign of something guarding between hollows and barrows, only for mere moments did he flicker that piercing gaze back upon either Sah or Hotaru. Nothing seemed to be lingering anyway – a quiet, restless dwelling. “I can use my air magic to send a dummy nearby.” Dangle it in the sky, as a lure, maybe – with enough control and contortion, like one might antagonize a cat. “If it looks human enough, perhaps that will draw it out.” Worth a shot, at any rate.

While he had no illusions, he certainly had enough of the elements to be a dastardly force. And he knew both of them likely held the same. “We can wait and see on that front,” and he nodded towards Ru – weighing out the options and possibilities. They needed it in the open first, drawn away from graves and sites.

Beginning the incantations of creation, the gilded sanctions melded and molded out makeshift feet at first. “Do either of you have any food you want to put on it? Or extra clothing?” To make it seem as real and loathsome as possible, for a wayward soul yearning to protect and defend?

--

Help Deimos make the lure dummy!
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
The quiet, eerie nature of the barrow's arching heights is not unfamiliar, but it never gets any easier either. Equally restless, she holds herself perfectly still to counter the feeling inside. Here in Caido where war is waged face to face between singular men instead of parties and kingdoms, perhaps she is losing her ability to sit in silence and wait out her prey.

"It's a good idea," she hums her agreement, envisioning a marionette of sorts, safely distanced. As the dummy is created from strands and elements she hasn't utilized in many moons, Hotaru shrugs out of her overcloak, ensuring a few moments of rubbing it on the soft points of her body to pick up her scent best. Wrapping it around the dummy, she tucks a piece of jerky in the pocket - just enough for another scent trail, without dwindling her provisions. She waits for Sah to make any additions if he feels the desire, and flexes her wrist idly, the tingling desire for battle an irritant in her veins. Yearning for something darker and more instinctive to distract from the reality of the creature's existence.

- - -

Ru rubs her overcloak over her skin to give it a scent, puts jerky in the pocket, and wraps it around the dummy.
HOTARU
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah watches as Hotaru clothes the dummy, nodding approvingly once she's finished. "That looks good." The younger Abandoned steps up with some bandage rolls and using them to buffer the dummy in places in the hopes of giving it a slightly more organic shape. It might be useless but given that they are dealing with a former companion, Sah doesn't want to risk them being able to recognize a dummy from a person on the first glance.

After a moment of consideration, Sah also wraps a bit of bandage around the dummy's arm, giving the illusion of an injury. Once he's satisfied, Sah glances at the others and addresses Hotaru's question. "I've got telekinesis. Should I make the dummy float over?"

Sah uses bandages to make the dummy look more organic, including adding a fake injury to it. He offers to use his telekinesis to move the dummy.
Sah
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Combined efforts ensured a readied dummy: in between clothes, scents, and food, the makeshift effigy likely wouldn’t bear a striking resemblance to anyone, but to a wandering daemon, perhaps an individual worthy enough to attack. Staring at it, the Sword had to muffle a laugh, ensuring there were some painted on eyes and a haphazard, frowning mouth, before they sent it off.

He crouched once more, eyes back on the hills and barrows in the distance. “I can send it out,” he mentioned to Sah, “if you want to make its limbs move.” With air incantations in place, mustered quickly and efficiently, and Sah’s telekinesis, it sauntered forth.

A bit disheveled, jangled, and uncoordinated, the target had the makings of a newborn calf. Its legs bumbled and its arms fumbled along and sometimes its head shifted downward against its chest, but maybe, just maybe, it had the distinction of a wounded, or very lost soul, heading straight for disaster. Even watching it, Deimos once more had to hold back a snort – for it was truly a ridiculous sight.

They only had to wait a short while. It could’ve been the clumsy, blundering measures of motions. It could’ve been the smell of jerky, or the pretenses of wounds. It could’ve been simply its presence at all – but within a few moments, there was an abrupt change in the scenery. A figure dashed along the sanction, wings outstretched, unfurling, eerie, ethereal, ghostly, part of something otherworldly and catastrophic. “There it is,” he murmured in a low whisper, the mood abruptly shifting and changing.

Because within seconds, claws and fangs were upon the effigy, ripping and tearing into its surface without hesitation.

--

The daemon has made its appearance! What will you do next?
DEIMOS
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah nods and uses his telekinesis to force the dummy's limbs into motion. Just as Deimos notes, it's awkward and clumsy. Even with his mastered magic, the material is simply not meant to bend in such a way. The Abandoned releases his magic as soon as the daemon has the distraction in its claws.

The Outlander has a feeling that the distraction won't last long. Refocusing his magic, Sah attempts to hold the daemon with his telekinesis to try and limit its mobility and prevent it from fleeing or attacking. "I'm going to try and slow it down. Maybe you two attack it from here?" His words are just barely distinguishable, covered partially by the ruckus the creature is making.

Sah attempts to use his telekinesis to hold the daemon in place so that Hotaru and Deimos can attack it (if they want).
Sah
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru clamps down hard on the desire to pace and prowl as Sah and Deimos utilize their magic together and successfully lure the creature out. She will be useful in a moment's time, but the desire to end the creature's suffering is at odds with the eternal desire for battle and destruction. Sah's magic is not visible, but his commands are something she can rely upon, and Hotaru moves to come even at his shoulder as she seeks to catch Deimos' eye. Ensuring he is not constructing some alternative plan in his mind before she makes her own move.

Perhaps if she were a softer woman she would consider daydreams the likes of saving or freeing the daemon from its tortured existence another way. But she is no soft woman. Instead she reaches for her lightning, the magic closest to her heart, and bids it to strike down true against the suffering companion from a distance.

- - -

Ru uses her lightning magic from a distance to try and stun or injure the daemon while Sah holds it.
HOTARU
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
There were nods and understandings, mutual comprehension of what their next strategy and plan of attack would be.

If only it were that simple.

Things started off brambled and thorned – no sooner had the daemon began ripping and tearing into the effigy, did it find the stuffing not to its taste – claws lacerating until it was nothing more than ribbons and tattered clothing. As the target faltered, the distraction no longer in place, the creature could only set its sights on them. Apparently they hadn’t been far away enough at all.

So then it truly fell apart – Sah’s telekinesis not holding, and the daemon freed to conduct its guarding business. “Stay down,” Deimos growled, already beginning to fear the worst (a multitude of Caido experiences unfortunately doubled down on the apprehension) – ensuring there was a shield around their group almost immediately, conducting water into a collective, icy screen as the monster began to bombard it.

Hotaru’s incantations were the best of the lot; sliding through particles of water and fusing, multiplying, conducting over the wings of the creature. It growled and hissed and screamed in agony as one seemed paralyzed almost immediately, and began to falter in its flight, haphazard at best.

--

Sah’s telekinesis didn’t hold, Deimos is protecting them with an ice shield, and Hotaru has partially paralyzed it!

The daemon is currently hitting against the shield. What will you do next? No post order!
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Call it instinct, habit, or some other form of magnetism born of years fighting side by side, but as the daemon charges Hotaru steps in closer to Deimos to allow him to make the shield smaller and therefore thicker. “Get it wet,” she grunts in undertone to Deimos, knowing the shredding ice will accomplish it partway but hoping he has the fortitude for more. “My lightning will conduct better if it is. Sah -” her voice is a commanding crack as her free arm extends towards him, bidding him close.

“Use the ice shards to attack it if you can.” The more the daemon thrashes against the shield, the more material Sah will have to pierce and render armor and flesh. And then she lifts her hands again, relying upon her hard won accuracy (and hoping for a good roll) to ensure she doesn’t strike too close as she calls her lightning down once more.

- - -

Ru asks if Deimos can get the daemon more wet, gives Sah an attack idea, and uses her lightning on the daemon a second time.
HOTARU
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah curses under his breath when the beast shakes free of his old, "Slippery bastard." Deimos' shield is a welcome respite while he tries to come up with a plan. Though on some level he does worry about the daemon concussing itself, ironic since they're here to kill it.

Before he can come up with a plan, Hotaru throws out a solid one. "Good idea." For some reason the act of being ordered however makes something in him twinge. He'll mull on that later. For now, he focuses on the ice shards around them, trying to grab the sharpest and largest ones. Once Sah feels he's got a hold, he aims that the daemon, trying to target vital organs.

Sah goes with Hotaru's idea and tries to use his telekinesis to throw ice shards at the daemon's vital organs.
Sah
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Almost nothing but roars echoed against the shield; and the Sword tightened its noose – the incantations flickering and flowing in their elemental haze. The protective hold remained upright and solid, conformed and designed to do exactly as Deimos had always done – guard, preserve, and defend. While some shards ricocheted, Sah’s telekinesis rallied, pinpointing the ventures straight at the creature. The water dispersed into flecks of blood and dominion, diminishing the ethereal stronghold into something tangible, something barbaric, something wounded.

Claws that yearned to strike simply couldn’t. Venom reaching for their frames never touched. Never scorned. Never carved and sliced and ripped them apart.

Maybe it was too much power on their side. Maybe it would’ve been this way all along; the daemon’s days numbered the moment they received the notice.

Then Hotaru’s volley struck – ripping through tissue and heart and lungs, until it simply dispersed, perished in a sizzling, sparking melee. Nothing left to take. Nothing left to comprehend, or understand. Gone, perhaps, to the person it had yearned to protect in life, and in death.

Deimos sighed, permitting the icy surface to flicker away into naught as well. Everything around them seemed untouched, despite a few bits and pieces where lightning touched the ground. But there wasn’t a semblance of triumph in his soul. Maybe it had been the subject matter. He didn’t bother to comment on it; preferring his stony silence for a few more seconds, as the world returned to normalcy. “Well done,” he managed eventually, though no smile lingered. Stoicism in the face of another demise. He stared for an instant, at the space where it had lingered, and then out to the barrows. “Hopefully it is at peace now.” Glancing over the rest of the lot, he picked up his bag, ready to return the way they’d come.

--

The daemon has been dispatched! Feel free to make a finishing post (or not!). I’ll be wrapping this up tomorrow!
DEIMOS
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Her faith in Deimos’ skill is unwavering, and it lends her the ability to act rapidly from behind the shield as he holds it strong. She does not spare any attention that isn’t necessary to Sah, only a moment of militaristic gratitude for his quick response and skill. For a moment she is back in the battlefield, Deimos at her side, and there is nothing that can touch them. Even the screech of lightning and clap of thunder is familiar, lighting up the world around them in a flashbang of white. Only when it fades and it’s clear the daemon has been struck down by her attack does her pounding heart and fevered blood begin to slow. And then comes the somberness that follows.

Slowing her breathing down manually, the Valkyrie flicks her fingers idly, dispelling the static that clings like a needy creature. Ready and willing to be utilized for so much more. But there is nothing now. Just the hollow spot inside where empathy eats her open.

Idly, almost without thought, Ru places a gentle hand on Sah’s shoulder and squeezes. Her own silent praise for his efforts where Deimos had spoken them. Moving past, the other hand extends to find its home at Deimos’ elbow, as she has done enough times her fingerprints may as well be traced into the skin there. A silent understanding. And then even he is bypassed, as she kneels for a moment and touches the scorched earth beside the fallen creature. She takes a moment - not quite praying, but something similar - golden hair a curtain around her bowed head. And then Hotaru stands and turns towards her kinsmen, and readies herself to follow them away from the death they’ve left in their wake.
HOTARU