experiment #51
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
"My dads got a lot of fruits and herbs and things from the Oerwoud," Mateo is explaining, sitting a comfortable distance back from the Falling (though part of him absolutely wants to crane over the steep, wild edge and watch the waves churning below). "They gave me some to take back, so I can try and plant them." He unwraps the items in the basket he's brought, which includes some tart, apple like fruits, bananas and, unbeknownst to Mateo, berries that will make him very embarrassed.

"It's too hot to do anything else, so I thought we could just eat them all and I can have the seeds." He grins and shrugs, already snagging one of the apples to sink his teeth into the juicy flesh. It's enough to make him cringe but not in a bad way, and as a gale rushes in over the cliffs, it wicks away some of the heat from the ground.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 27 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int: 0
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
Everest
Though Ever has no reason to be wary of the Falling, that doesn't mean he hasn't absolutely picked up on and internalized the hesitation he's seen from his father. He sits slightly farther back than his friend with his legs folded and with one hand casually holding onto a rock as if that might anchor him should the world decide to try and tilt itself and shove them over the edge. "Will you try and grow some regularly, and then some in your atrium?" Ever wonders, assuming that of course Mateo would try to use the most scientifically efficient method possible.

"So...we're supposed to eat them, but spit out the seeds?" Ever wonders with a frown, thinking that sounded very messy, and wondering what everyone walking by would think.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
"Mm, well I was going to grow it all in the atrium first," Mateo explains around another bite of the (weirdly moreish) apple. "Because then I know I'll have more samples to work with. Then I might try to grow them in their natural environment." He doesn't like the idea of killing any plant, but for the sake of optimising his knowledge and experience, he supposes he'll have to do his best in the experiment.

"Oh, that's what I'm gonna do," he says, reaching out with his free hand to dig in the basket, drawing out a small knife, a plate and some napkins. "But I figured you'd probably want to be more neat about it. So here you go!"
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Everest
After thinking about it for a moment (and holding tightly to his rock), Ever nods. "I suppose that makes sense. It would be good to have a larger sample size to work with." Despite what some may think, Mateo really was pretty clever.

At first as Mateo suddenly pulls out a knife, Ever's eyes go wide. (In the back of his mind, there's a non-zero chance that his best friend has inherited some of Remi's tendencies and he might murder him one day). "O..oh. Thanks." He says, relieved, as he carefully accepts the knife by the hilt. Picking up a banana, the attuned smiles as he peels it, and then halves you. "You know, most people don't even realize that bananas have seeds." He hums happily as he begins to pick at the fruit with the utmost care. Next he'll de-seed a strawberry which to his mind, sounds like an extra fun challenge.

"Since you can channel...do you ever think about asking nature-frey for help with this stuff?"
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"That's what I was thinking. But I will have to uproot my vampire gourds," Mateo says, belatedly remembering experiment #38 that's about to come to fruition. "Do you want to do that with me? They don't have teeth yet, they're just pumpkins I think. But I should probably replant them outside the city ready for Leafchange." Otherwise there's going to be both a space issue and they're likely to get bitten whilst he's trying to cultivate apples.

"They don't? But you can see them," Mateo says, furrowing his brow and tilting his head as he watches Ever extract the seeds from the banana. Meanwhile, he's finishing up his apple, picking out the seeds, and flinging the core over the edge of the Falling. "Mm... I've thought about it. Channelling, I mean. But I don't think I trust gods." Which sounds strange given his parents, but that's how it is.

"I could probably channel for someone else, though. Do you want to speak to any of the gods?" he asks, plucking up a few of the golden berries and popping them into his mouth.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
"Well...it's almost time for them to uproot anyways, isn't it?" Ever says with a tentative smile. 'Oh..' no, no thank you. That's what the boy wants to say. But unsurprisingly what he actually says, is "Sure." He'll just...bring bandaids. Lots and lots of bandaids.

"Not many people look inside of their bananas when they're eating them." The boy replies with a youthful shrug. "Not many people pay attention in general, though." To what they put into their mouths, to the world around them, and so on. Remaining firmly on the ground as Mateo chucks his core into the ocean, Everest nods. "Nature Frey seems okay. And Rae too." Nature Frey had aged him and made him an attuned, and of course Rae is who had made his mother into what she was. The rest though? Gods no.

"No!" Ever blurts out hastily, shaking his head hard enough that later that afternoon he'll find that it's sore. "I mean, no thank you."
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"Yeah. If I don't replant them soon then they'll probably walk about on their own and destroy the rest of my nursery," he says - and that definitely isn't something he wants to happen, especially with his whole not really wanting to kill plants thing. "Mm, I suppose that's true as well. Which is a shame, because I heard that sometimes huge spiders hide in with bunches of bananas. So they really should look."

Plopping back down to sit with Ever, he agrees with his friend in that nature Frey (and Rae) seem alright, but that doesn't mean he wants to go asking them for favours. He's just arranging some of the berry seeds on a napkin when the other boy blurts out his no, and whereas before Mateo would have laughed it off, now he finds his cheeks feeling suddenly very hot.

"Oh... Okay," he mumbles, nodding and reaching in for more berries to avoid speaking more.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
In Ever's mind, he sees the inside of Remi's old shop covered in orange, as if the entire thing was a pumpkin. Teeth protrude from fleshy walls of orange, and there's an ominous rumbling sound that seems to be coming from the stairs. Audibly gulping, Ever nods shakily. "Wouldn't...want that..' He mumbles, staring down into the banana and blinking away the spider legs he saw emerging from it.

Glancing at Mateo and noticing his friend's blush, Ever reads this as upset. 'I..I mean if you want to we can. Whoever you want!' Injecting feigned brightness into his voice, the attuned reaches for the golden berries and plops a few into his mouth. He'll try and separate out the seeds with his tongue; something about that seems like the sort of thing Mateo might find amusing.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Thoughts of pumpkin guts and spider legs have disappeared from Mateo's mind, the boy thoughtfully chewing on more berries and picking them out of his mouth to put them on the napkin as he goes. He shifts somewhat uncomfortably against the rocky outcrop where they've made themselves at home, and he rakes a hand through his curls and doesn't quite look at Ever. "No, no! It's fine," he mumbles.

Having never really felt like this (not often enough for it to feel like a familiar emotion, anyway), Mateo lets out a long breath through puffed out cheeks, avoiding looking at his friend. "I don't really like being an Accepted," he admits. "But I don't really want to be anything else either. I just... wish I didn't have to channel."
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Is it fine? Ever wonders through slightly puffed out cheeks and a lower lip that his pushed itself out farther than it had any right to. It certainly didn't seem fine, and Ever has one of those strange feelings in his stomach (a bit like when he has to poop) that tends to accompany complex emotional situations.

"Ohh..?" Glancing over his shoulder in time to see Mateo rake his fingers through his curls, Ever is transfixed by how sproingy his friend's hair is. It makes him want to reach out and touch it, and in fact, the boy finds that he's released the rock in one hand to do just that. Almost yelping, he tucks his fingers against his leg and turns his gaze back to his napkin of seeds. "Well..you could be an attuned? Like me? I mean, not like me. There are plenty of better attuneds. Like my mom, or..or...your dad! He started out as one, and so you could be like that too, and have lots of really neat shifts, because of course you'd have the best shifts, and it's basically being like an accepted without channeling!" Having only stopped because he'd run out of air, uncharacteristically Ever fills his mouth with more berries, as if that might help.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"No, no - I don't want to be an Attuned. I like myself as I am, I just... don't really want to have to call the gods. Does that make me bad?" Rubbing his eyes, Mateo has never really felt this unsure about what he wants to say or how to express himself, and while he wants to reach out for more berries, he stops himself. Even eating in front of someone feels embarrassing right now.

Folding his napkin of seeds and stuffing it back into the basket, he wipes suddenly sweaty hands on his pants and clears his throat. "I think maybe I should head back home," he mumbles. "I feel really weird."
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
'What? No! Of course not. You're one of the goodest people that I know." Ever bleats, and technically it's true, if only because he doesn't know very many people. "Mateo, you're really, really, not bad." He adds, turning to his friend and nearly reaching out to give him a reassuring pat? punch? on the shoulder. Instead, his hand gets about halfway there before Ever notices it has moved and has time to call it back.

'Oh.' The boy says for the millionth time this afternoon, watching with horrified eyes as his friend begins to pack up. "But..the seeds, and.." Panicking now and assuming that it was absolutely something he'd done or said that was sending Mateo off, Ever feels his cheeks grow crimson as he shakes his head. "..I'm really sorry I even mentioned the gods. I never want to see them ever, not even once. Even Frey and Rae are stupid."
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
"Thanks, Ever. That's nice of you to say - I think you're a good person too," Mateo says directly into the basket, which he closes up once he's sequestered away his seeds. His cheeks won't stop burning and he feels like he might throw up or melt into a puddle, and he doesn't know why. He's probably getting sick - it was probably something in the apples.

"Hmm? No, it's... you don't have to change anything you said because of me. I just don't feel very well is all. I was just going to go back to the shop and... plant these..." Because he doesn't really have a bed in the shop any more, so he can't climb under it to hide. And clearly he's not thinking about it too hard, because otherwise he'd remember he has to dry out the seeds first before he plants them.

"Sorry, Ever."
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Hating compliments, especially when it feels as though he does something wrong, Ever gives his head another one of those violent shakes that sends his curls flapping about. "It...it just feels like one of those times where you say you feel sick to get out of something. Like how my dad asked that one time if you wanted to dust his collection of paperweights and you said you couldn't because you felt sick, but then you told me after you weren't." Realizing only after he'd said it that he might have pushed his friend into a corner, Ever just hrrmphs and shrugs.

"It's fine. I understand. You can go. I wouldn't want to hang out with me anyways." He mumbles, pouting, and feeling suddenly as if there was reason to be ashamed of the very colour of his hair as much as anything else about him.