sha-la-la-la-la-la my oh my
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
MATEO
"What do you suppose we are meant to do on a date?" Mateo asks, hopping from one plank to another as they head onto the Brittlebone Bridge. "My dads always make a big deal out of them, but then again I guess they don't get to go on dates all too often. But they usually go out, so I don't really know what they get up to." (Which is a good thing, Mateo - you absolutely don't want to).

Reaching out, the boy lets his fingers whisper down the curtain of vines closest to him, his touch feather light as he examines the petals of the nearest flower. "I wonder where all of these come from," he murmurs, already distracted by the beauty of the flora, tipping his head back as if he might see the origin of the vines.

It makes him dizzy, though, and he trips over one of the planks and nearly goes pinwheeling off the side of the bridge. "Ooof, don't do that."
the earth has music for those who listen
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 27 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int: 0
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
Everest
"Well....I think when you date someone you are supposed to find out if you are compatible with one another." Ever ventures, having shifted so that he could walk alongside his friend. "But we already know that we are, just not in a ... " He doesn't know how words like sexual or romantic are meant to fit in here, but he knows that they do. "...like, we don't want to kiss or whatever." Ever adds.

Glancing up, Everest frowns and gives Mateo a are you messing with me stare, before pointing. "From up there." He murmurs, before reaching out to try and grab onto his friend's shoulders.

"Do you think we can even have a date? We must be able to, if Frey paired us up. So either we are meant to be able to want to kiss each other, or maybe friends can just go on dates? Do you know of any friends who date?"
But if the song never stopped, it wouldn't have any magic
So even though it's gotta end, I'll keep singing along
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
MATEO
"Okay, but are we supposed to kiss...?" Mateo wonders, smiling gratefully to his friend as he's taken by the shoulders, waiting a second or two for the world to re-balance before he continues playing an imaginary game of hopscotch with the planks beneath their feet. "Well I think that a lot of people who kiss and go on dates are also friends? Maybe it doesn't have to be one or the other? Although I'm pretty sure you're supposed to hold hands before you kiss," he remarks.

Up there is fair enough, but Mateo still rolls his eyes. "I meant are they hanging off the edges of some huge cliff? Or are these two big weeping willows on either side of the bridge?" Peering off into the distance, the bridge does seem to stretch on almost indefinitely, so they must be some truly collossal trees if so.

Anyway. Reaching out his hand for Ever, Mateo shrugs his shoulders. "We can just have a hand hold date. That should be enough for Frey, right?"
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Everest
"Well...Isn't that one of the metrics that people use to tell if a date went good or not?" In the halls of their school the boy was sure he'd overheard older kids saying things like, he didn't even kiss me at the end of the date! Falling silent—both to listen but also to keep an eye on Mateo's feet for safety reasons—Ever sucks in his lower lip and considers. "I agree. Holding hands definitely comes first. But we've done that already." He points out, not knowing that there was holding hands (as when you drag your friend away from wolves), and then there was holding hands.

"Oh." Ever hums as he reaches into his back pocket to pull out a small notebook. Writing down, willows, or vines? to remind himself later to research it, he looks at Mateo's outstretched hand. "I'm not sure. I guess if we just hold hands, it's still a date, just maybe not a very good one."

But...would they be punished, for not making the most out of Frey's pairing? "Unless...do you think Frey is watching? Will we get into trouble for not trying hard enough?"
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
"I... guess? I think sometimes people kiss but they still don't have a good date, though? I feel like we should have asked the other people there before we came out here..." They were adults. They'd know the answers to things like do I need to kiss my best friend if we have been told to go on a date together or is hand holding good enough?

"Oh, I suppose we have," Mateo agrees, letting his hand drop (though he definitely believes Frey will judge them for not doing it, but he also cares more about his friend not having a panic attack).

Letting out a long sigh and stopping in the middle of the bridge, when Mateo turns next, it's with a bright and dimpled smile. "I think more than anything dates are supposed to be fun though, right?" He tilts his head. "So let's do something fun!" And as if the jungle has heard him, a sentient vine has been sneaking out from between the other willow/vines (still up for debate), sneaking around the Taliesin boy's ankle and tugging.

Naturally, Mateo goes down like a sack of shit, yelping as he does so.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Not that there are many lines on the faces of 10 year old boys, but those on Ever's face crease dramatically. "Oh. That's a really good point." So kissing as a metric of success was out. But then...how would they know if they were good at dating each other? 'We also kiss your nonna on the cheek, but that wasn't a date." Then, panic. "Was it??"

Having been too much in his head thinking about Mateo's hand to have actually taken it, it's only as the boy lets it drop back to his side that Ever snaps out of his mind enough to frown apologetically.

"AY!" He bellows loudly, reaching to grasp the vine with both hands. "No, no! You aren't invited on our date! You can only have two people on a date!" Ever shouts at the vine (not knowing that 1. this wasn't the case, and that 2. Frey actually had made a three-way pairing back in the clearing). Tugging at the vine and probably jostling Mateo back and forth, Ever glares for all he's worth (not that the vine takes much notice). "Can you get out? Are you okay?"
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
No, Mateo wants to say, no we have never been on a date with my nonna. Of course, what he actually says is "AAAARRGHH" as he's yanked back and forth by both the vine and the boy trying to pull it off him. He tries to shake his leg as well in the hope of releasing himself, and he's also trying to sit up enough to peel the plant off him, but it's a difficult thing when Ever is helping-not-helping.

"I think I'm okay, but I-- OOOP--" This, of course, comes on the back of the sentient vine suddenly retreating upwards - enough that Mateo ends up face to face with Ever, just... suspended upside down by the ankle. If this were a modern rendition of a not-date, the Taliesin boy would make a Spiderman & MJ remark. Alas.

"I can see up your nose," he says instead.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
This is it. Where nature intervenes and the spark of young love is kindled. Where the boys see each other anew, their lips placed just so...just so that Mateo could see up Ever's nose, apparently. "Well...don't look!" Everest cries, not knowing why this feels like a violation of his privacy, but covering his nose just the same.

"Do you have a knife or something in your bag? If not I suppose I could shift and try and gnaw you free..." In human form Everest never uses his teeth for anything but his food, but as a dog? Well. He'd learned to bend the rules of humanity. "Stupid vine! Ruining our date!" He mumbles, not liking the idea of doing poorly at anything.

"Hold on to me, just in case the vine tries to take you somewhere." Ever adds suddenly, reaching up a hand to grab his friend's shoulder.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
"Sorry, sorry! You can look up mine if it makes you feel better?" Mateo says. His cheeks are growing red, but it has more to do with the blood rushing to his head than any sort of blushing on his part. He's finding that Ever is getting better at thinking quick in a crisis, though and he wiggles enough in the vine's grip to get at his bag of holding. Good thing Ever is steadying him by that point, too, because it briefly tries to suffocate him.

"Hfffff... okay, here," he says eventually, swaying woozily with the vine as he hands his friend a knife that usually only appears to take samples or scrapings of moss. "Don't worry if I fall, I just don't want to be upside down any more please." They can get to the date ruining later. Stupid vines. Stupid jungle.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
'Okay, well...' Reaching out for the knife, Ever delicately takes it. "..make sure to cover your head." You know, for when he predictably landed on it. "Sorry about this, but you had a bunch of chances to let my friend go and you didn't." Ever mumbles apologetically as he begins to saw into the vine.

The vine of course protests, sharply trying to arc itself away from Ever. However bound to Mateo as it was, there was little it could do unless it dropped the Taliesin boy; which of course was the very next thing to happen. Recoiling to slap Everest in the face, the vine slurps up into the canopy like a giant noodle being sucked, leaving both boys red-faced.

"Nnnm." Ever groans, rubbing at his cheek as he drops to his knees, careful to keep the knife away from Mateo. "Are you okay?"
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
"Okay," Mateo says, covering his head just as Ever reaches up to start to hack into the vine. Of course, that means he's in the complete wrong position to watch what happens - which is a shame, because he'd likely have enjoyed it for the rest of their lives - instead falling to the ground with a wumph just as the vine sneaks back up and into the canopy.

"Fanculo," he hisses, having absolutely fallen on his head, and he blinks up at his friend rather unsteadily. "You okay? Did it get you?" he asks, before grinning lopsidedly. "My heroooo!" His voice trills across the bridge. "I think that happens on dates sometimes. One person saves the other? Or maybe that's just in fairy stories. Either way, I like to think it counts."
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Frowning, Ever of course thinking that their date was ruined, now blinks with surprise. "Oh! That's true...!" Securing the blade as he hunkers down to be back at eye level with his friend, Everest grins as he hands Mateo the knife. "And the vine tried to take you away because you're so datable. So that's probably good too." Beaming, the attuned decides that maybe sitting is the best thing to do, and promptly plops down at Mateo's side.

Holding onto part of the rope supports to peer safely down over the edge, Ever nibbles the inside of his cheek before looking shyly over his shoulder. "Is..there anyone you would want to date? Or kiss?" They were getting to the point in their lives where hair had begun to sprout in strange places and their voices would sometimes go all splintery. In one sense Ever knew what all this meant, but in a much more real sense, he had absolutely no idea.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
MATEO
"Yes!" Mateo agrees. "I was a... what do they call it...? A damsel in distress! And you saved me. There. Now our date can have a happily ever after, and no one ever says what happens at that point, so we can do whatever we want." Nodding wisely, Mateo accepts the blade and tucks it back into his Bag of Holding, sitting himself up in time for his friend to plop down beside him.

"I heard it's really bad luck to look over the side," he says offhandedly while Ever peeps down, only to blush for real at the other boy's question. Still, that doesn't make Mateo shy, apparently. "Fiadh," he says instantly. "Have you seen Fiadh lately? She has changed." Into a lot of different animals. And into a lot less clothes.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Mateo's logic is absolutely taken at face value. Not only is Ever not mature enough to really understand the complexities of all of this, but he also desperately wants to believe that not only have they completed their date successfully, but that now the pressure is off and they can just be.

Abruptly sitting straight up, Ever swallows. He doesn't know if he believes in bad luck, but until he figures it out, he doesn't want to push his...well, you get it. Blinking with surprise, but not judgement, Everest considers. Drawing up an image of Fiadh in his mind, the attuned's mental impression of her is just red hair and chaos. "Mmm...not really for a while. She helped me gather some peppermint bark a few seasons ago, but otherwise no."  Ever replies, crinkling his nose slightly and shaking his head.

"Do...you think she wants to kiss you?" Ever asks innocently.